Koji Igarashi announces Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, launches Kickstarter page

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Who has actually played it on PC? Does it run 60 FPS without slowdown, and support and XBox One controller without issue?

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
Who has actually played it on PC? Does it run 60 FPS without slowdown, and support and XBox One controller without issue?

Works fine at 144hz for me. You have to play with "Cinematic" settings to uncap the framerate. Certain things will be locked at 60 otherwise.

It works with the Xbox pads fine. If you don't have an XInput pad you need to use an emulator.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
You need to aim your attacks. Analog is smoother than digital.

I'd say that's a 'legitimate' reason.

Yeah I'm done Bruh, you're bitching just to bitch. I guess let the others know when you improve the game. Can't wait to play it. Link your kickstarter and shit mane.

"Smoothness" doesn't help at all in a game like this. What you want is responsive and fast, which it isn't. It's as clunky as fuck.

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire

It’s crashed a couple times but yes, it looks and plays great, even at 4K! Xbox pad support is native. I use an elite pad and it’s just fine. Don’t listen to bulbousbeard. It’s a fine game.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I'm nearing 70% map completion, and I can confirm the game is a 2D masterpiece. It has that quality where you notice new things every time you revisit an area. Of course the 1.00 version had killer bugs in it, but 1.02 doesn't have anything glaring - still some slowdown if you can manage to get a lot of things on the screen at once, but most of the previous games of the same type had that.

To me this game is an indictment of Konami's decision to make Lament of Innocence instead of another real Castlevania. Between the PS2 games, Lords of Shadow, and handheld games that were lesser incarnations of previous console titles, Castlevania has been dead since 2003. Not that Lament was terrible, but it just wasn't a Castlevania game, it was a middle-of-the-road 3d game with a great soundtrack.

Anyway, we're back for at least one last ride. I'm not sure we'll see a game like this again... it has the feel of old masters back for a last hurrah. I can't imagine the effort it took to make this in this day and age. 2D design for current consoles is crazy compared to 2D design for the PS1.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I am digging this game. It's legit and was well worth the wait.

Surprisingly deep, with lots to do if you want to a 100% completion and tons of secrets and fan service to discover.

And the great thing is that Zangetsu is being released as a free playable character later on. I hope they do similar releases for Alfred and Gebel at some point.

Between this, Resident Evil 2 and Devil May Cry 5, it's turning out to be a good year for me as a gamer.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
I'm nearing 70% map completion, and I can confirm the game is a 2D masterpiece. It has that quality where you notice new things every time you revisit an area. Of course the 1.00 version had killer bugs in it, but 1.02 doesn't have anything glaring - still some slowdown if you can manage to get a lot of things on the screen at once, but most of the previous games of the same type had that.

To me this game is an indictment of Konami's decision to make Lament of Innocence instead of another real Castlevania. Between the PS2 games, Lords of Shadow, and handheld games that were lesser incarnations of previous console titles, Castlevania has been dead since 2003. Not that Lament was terrible, but it just wasn't a Castlevania game, it was a middle-of-the-road 3d game with a great soundtrack.

Anyway, we're back for at least one last ride. I'm not sure we'll see a game like this again... it has the feel of old masters back for a last hurrah. I can't imagine the effort it took to make this in this day and age. 2D design for current consoles is crazy compared to 2D design for the PS1.

Lament of Innocence was good if you weren't expecting SotN in 3D. Personally, it's my favorite Castlevania story and I'd love to revisit Leon some time.

Last edited:

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
Lament of Innocence was good if you weren't expecting SotN in 3D. Personally, it's my favorite Castlevania story and I'd love to revisit Leon some time.

You know, I didn’t think LOI was that great. It felt unfinished. Each area just repeated rooms. Sometimes 3 rooms in a row were all the same. Every candle either have a heart if your hearts weren’t full or a $1 coin. Then there was the one candle in each area that contained a weapon. It was fun and all, and maintained a good frame rate, but felt half-assed.

Despite its myriad of flaws I actually think castlevania 64 is a bit underrated. It’s clunky and slippy, but I think it had a good setting and took some risks with experimental gameplay mechanics. I enjoy the combat and platforming, too.

joala

A Joala is for Life., Not Just Christmas.,
I'm fucking loving it! Quite surprised - its totally SOTN on steroids

The cameo voices are an awesome addition - David Hayter and Robbie Belgrade. Music rocks too

Shit loads of secrets, great bosses, very pleased!

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I’m also absolutely loving this game. A lot of reviews kept citing SotN, but rather than being a step back mechanically and being a sequel to an older Castlevania title, it feels more like it picks up where the last exploration Castlevania game left off and feels more like a direct follow-up to Order of Ecclesia in terms of how the game plays overall.

This game feels almost identical to Shanoa and the Glyph system implemented in that title.

Great game and I’m really glad to see Koji land on his feet with this one.

As a side note, I’m going to miss Shanoa’s Reppuken and Raging Storm attacks though lol:

latest

Last edited:

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
So this actually pretty much runs/looks like the blue waffle on the Switch. Ended up buying it for Xbone, and it feels so much better. Apparently there's a bit more lag time with the Switch, and the framerate as mentioned before, is butt. I was only about 30% through the map anyway so starting over wasn't too bad.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I'm fucking loving it! Quite surprised - its totally SOTN on steroids

The cameo voices are an awesome addition - David Hayter and Robbie Belgrade. Music rocks too

Shit loads of secrets, great bosses, very pleased!
It's beyond me why anyone would want to play a Japanese game with English voices when they have a choice. In general they just have a very poor track record. If you want to hear the equivalent of an anime dub circa 1998, then be my guest I suppose.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
It's beyond me why anyone would want to play a Japanese game with English voices when they have a choice. In general they just have a very poor track record. If you want to hear the equivalent of an anime dub circa 1998, then be my guest I suppose.

I have kids that cant read well enough yet and want to know what people are saying....

but I also have no interest in hearing Japanese voice overs...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

Because I speak English, don't understand Japanese and I'm not a fucking weeb?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Because I speak English, don't understand Japanese and I'm not a fucking weeb?

Here's my reasoning.

I normally pick Japanese voices cause I don't speak Japanese and am thus ignorant to how corny and wretched the voice actors are.

I guess game voiceovers are getting much better since the Turbo CD days, but I still associate English language voices with some cringe, and a moderate amount of discomfort.

Also, normally the Japanese actors are actually picked because their voice fits the role, and when ported for the USA they just pick up a random guy off the street and pay him $3.95 cash and buy him a 6 pack.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I don't think David Hayter works for a sixpack.

Having Solid Snake play Solid Snake with a sword was a weird stretch goal.

Right now I'm at 99.80% completion on the map. Does beating
Spoiler:
O.D.
count toward completion? I beat all the other optional bosses (plus the true end boss) and have the map entirely drawn and colored blue.

That last extra boss is quite a bit harder than anything else in the game.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
You don't pick Japanese voice acting because it's somehow better. You pick it because most anime and videogame dialogue is fucking embarrassing being spoken aloud in a language you can understand.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I choose Japanese voices for the reason 100proof said: it's shitty dialogue and this is all one big nostalgia trip anyway so I'd rather take it back to the day when I thouight anime voice acting was cool because of how emotional it sounded to me. In fact, I'd say it still has that charm for me today even though I know it's all ass.

Anyway, I platinumed this game last week. Didn't get the boss medals because a trophy wasn't involved.

8-Bit Fireball maxed out is the best power in the game.

Worth the price. Worth the wait.

Highly anticipating Zangetsu DLC.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I guess game voiceovers are getting much better since the Turbo CD days, but I still associate English language voices with some cringe, and a moderate amount of discomfort.
For me, probably this.

You don't pick Japanese voice acting because it's somehow better. You pick it because most anime and videogame dialogue is fucking embarrassing being spoken aloud in a language you can understand.
Very likely true. The story for this game is fairly stupid.

My game seems to be glitched now, but not stuck yet. I'm going to try to keep going and reinstall the non-patched version if I get stuck. It might be hard to determine if I'm just not doing the right thing or if the glitch is preventing progress though. It's a shame to have to play like this.

My brother got 100% complete, and everyone seems to think this game is excellent.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member

This is pretty much the only reason.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Cheesed the last boss by using Rheva Valar :thevt:

I beat her/it without it the first time, then used it to fight her a second time (since I skipped the credits and missed the achievement the first time). Yeah it's insanely effective, also made beating the final optional boss much easier.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

"Without issue" is a hard one. It's still buggy as shit. With a powerful enough computer though, it does run fine but the game isn't coded well so you need a more powerful computer than you'd think to run it considering it isn't that advanced graphically. I'm running a Ryzen 3 with a RX580 at 1080p with max everything and it plays fine at 60fps but has an occasional hiccup for no apparent reason. The Xbox One controller works well on it, everything is mapped appropriately.