KOF XI Screens at Gamewatch

NeoDragoN

custom rank,
20 Year Member
Hmkay said:
Sure there are better filters around, I never denied it...

I'm afraid that's only your own impression. That might be because the backgrounds are different, or because you're in love with the new sprites... But they're still low res sprites on a high res backgrounds, regardless of how recent the sprites are.

I never said they were'nt low res sprites, but redrawn ones are gonna look better than sprites from 5 years ago...

Hmkay

Sakura's Bank Manager
NeoDragoN said:
I never said they were'nt low res sprites, but redrawn ones are gonna look better than sprites from 5 years ago...
Depends... But anyway, that wasn't your point. You said new sprites looked better against high res backgrounds, which simply doesn't make sense.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Violent Ryo said:
For those that don't know, Dream Cancelling is the ability to cancel a DM into an LDM or MAX DM. :multi_co:

I can't wait to own with DCing.

Setsuna1982 is a liar....

beelzebubble

Knar Sdrawkcab, !t00w
15 Year Member
Hmkay said:
Depends... But anyway, that wasn't your point. You said new sprites looked better against high res backgrounds, which simply doesn't make sense.

you define pedantic!

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Violent Ryo said:
For those that don't know, Dream Cancelling is the ability to cancel a DM into an LDM or MAX DM.

ummmmmm . . . KOF 2K1?

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Final Verdict:

The sprites look like shit, still... after taking a year off.

SNKP = Lazy, uninspired douches.

Pixelation on Atomiswave = Lazy artists.

That is all.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
nazi muerto abono pa mi huerto said:
ummmmmm . . . No?

read it again, sir

it may not be EXACTLY like it

but it's nearly the same concept

am I missing something?

nazi muerto abono pa mi huerto

Overtop Pathfinder
More screens, Momoko in action plus the aztec bg

2005070889906.jpg

2005070889905.jpg

roker said:
it may not be EXACTLY like it

but it's nearly the same concept

am I missing something?

2k1 = powerwave -> powergeyser

XI = powerwave -> powergeyser -> powerstream

Thats all

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
nazi muerto abono pa mi huerto said:
2k1 = powerwave -> powergeyser

XI = powerwave -> powergeyser -> powerstream

Thats all

same concept, with more added to it

are we returning to the days of 100% combos?

I'm not really keen on the idea of dream canceling so far

EX_Andy

Vanessa's Drinking Bud,
"Dreamcancel" is probably one of the dumbest fighting game terms I've ever heard. I'm also not in love with anything that causes huge amounts of unavoidable damage and takes a long time to execute/finish. It might seem totally awesome to cancel 9 SDMs into each other the first time, but it'll get old fast (especially the second someone does it to you).

I'm not thrilled about B. Jenet being in the game (of all the MOTW characters, why add her? Why not Kim's two sons?). She was really shallow and boring to play in MOTW, like a slower Mai with a smaller moveset. I also can't say I'm looking forward to another year with Ash & his team, because those three were all losers, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm still cautiously optimistic about the rest of the roster, though. I'll have to see more to make any kind of judgment.

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
EX_Andy said:
I'm not thrilled about B. Jenet being in the game (of all the MOTW characters, why add her? Why not Kim's two sons?)

I think mostly because of age. I would really love to see Rock but he is/was still to young. I don't know if they will just throw most of that out now since they skipped a year though.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Mark of the Wolves said:
I think mostly because of age. I would really love to see Rock but he is/was still to young. I don't know if they will just throw most of that out now since they skipped a year though.
Nah, he'd be about the right age now (16 now, 17 in MotW), but I'm still glad they didn't pick him, since they're already using him in another game this year. KOF Gato plays different than MotW Gato, so maybe there will be some differences in B. Jenet play too.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
EX_Andy said:
I'm not thrilled about B. Jenet being in the game (of all the MOTW characters, why add her? Why not Kim's two sons?). She was really shallow and boring to play in MOTW, like a slower Mai with a smaller moveset. I also can't say I'm looking forward to another year with Ash & his team, because those three were all losers, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm still cautiously optimistic about the rest of the roster, though. I'll have to see more to make any kind of judgment.

Well, B. Jenet is less popular than I thought (sexy little design usually gets you guys going, but for some reason she never took off). I don't mind her at all, to be honest. I'd much rather have Freeman, but then again, everyone wants somebody in there. The Kim sons make perfect sense to NOT be there since we've had Kim himself in the series forever. That's all they really are: versions of him.

As for Ash and squad, yeah, they're all stupid and lame. Ash isn't bad, but the other two are retarded. Hell, Ash's design blows, but his play style is very very cool, IMHO. A Guile clone that was actually done well for a change, with a few tricks of his own. I think that K9999 was better than these guys put together, but then again I know how most here hate *him*, too. Oh well.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
VanillaThunder said:
Final Verdict:

The sprites look like shit, still... after taking a year off.

SNKP = Lazy, uninspired douches.

Pixelation on Atomiswave = Lazy artists.

That is all.

I am the first to admit that I thought we would have had Guilty Gear X quality grahpics (with better animation...ugh, GG's animation blows), with SNK characters. I really did expect that. WTF was I thinking? It's sad that they're doing almost nothing and still cranking out games with art drawn from guys that could be long dead. But, here we are, waiting to buy/play it anyhow.

I was hoping the move to Atomiswave was for power, but now it's just for piracy protection. We do, at least, have to be thankful that they're able to fit more fighters into the games now. That's one thing that they ARE doing with the new technology: using more space. Hell, it's quite literally the LEAST they can do, at this point.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
i agree, i think that the Atomiswave was just a move to get away from the HUGE piracy of the neogeo mvs.
not even the Dreamcast system has been emulated and not even the naomi has anyone starting on it.

the Atomiswave wont be emulated and dumped untill its well in the past.
thats the good thing about using expensie and new arcade hardware so that those people who write up emulators cant afford or cant do it as its too hard.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Spike Spiegel said:
I was hoping the move to Atomiswave was for power, but now it's just for piracy protection. We do, at least, have to be thankful that they're able to fit more fighters into the games now. That's one thing that they ARE doing with the new technology: using more space. Hell, it's quite literally the LEAST they can do, at this point.

I was hoping for at least one NEW new series from SNKP with teh high rezzz, but what can you do?

Besides the space allowing for more characters, it's also be nice to have an arranged soundtrack.

Sure it's pixelated, but it's still KOF. It should be fun either way.

Alex0916

Bling kills, but...,
This kof is looking really good. It seems SNKP is really pouring it on now with the AW.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
Doesn't do anything for me. Same old same old. After 12 years I think I'm pretty much done with KOF.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
New KOF game, same old replies about the lack of updated sprites and SNKP being lazy.

(I do actually agree with the people this time around though, seeing that they're working with new hardware and all, it would be nice to see them put forth the effort to draw up some new sprite sets.)

Looks interesting to me, from what I've seen at least though.

I love the roster and the new characters look promising (Oswald looks a bit too much like Olaf from Matrimelee, but he's probably the best thing about that game, so I'm not complaining.)

Anyway, guess my only complaint would be the fact that I will more than likely not be playing this game for myself for quite sometime.

Hell... I haven't even played NW yet.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Average Joe said:
New KOF game, same old replies about the lack of updated sprites and SNKP being lazy.

(I do actually agree with the people this time around though, seeing that they're working with new hardware and all, it would be nice to see them put forth the effort to draw up some new sprite sets.)

Yeah, it sort of is unforgivable. KOF has taken a back seat to shit like NGBC, which is basically KOF+ KOF should die if its gonna be this type of series, where it becomes as point as metal slug did after 3.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Lord Wolfgang Krauser said:
Yeah, it sort of is unforgivable.

Yeah, they're lazy alright.

But at the end of the day, I could really care less, so long as it plays well.

2k1 is the epitome of a bad looking (and sounding) KOF game, but the gameplay more than makes up for it.

2k2 was slammed fairly harshly for its looks by not just NG.com folk, but by most fighter fans in general, and we all know how popular that game became.

It's probably a cliche now to say that "it's all about the gameplay."

But it is...

New and completely redrawn sprites that take advantage of the AW's power to make the series look like it was made in 2005 and not 1996 would be great to see, but even if the series does look extremely dated compared to games like 3s and GGX, people are still going to give it a chance to see how it plays.

And if it plays well?

People will just shut up and play it.

Guess it's just me, but I feel inclined to leave out the pointless bitchery until the final product gets tested by my own two hands.

*shrug*

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Average Joe said:
Yeah, they're lazy alright.

But at the end of the day, I could really care less, so long as it plays well.

2k1 is the epitome of a bad looking (and sounding) KOF game, but the gameplay more than makes up for it.

2k2 was slammed fairly harshly for its looks by not just NG.com folk, but by most fighter fans in general, and we all know how popular that game became.

It's probably a cliche now to say that "it's all about the gameplay."

But it is...

New and completely redrawn sprites that take advantage of the AW's power to make the series look like it was made in 2005 and not 1996 would be great to see, but even if the series does look extremely dated compared to games like 3s and GGX, people are still going to give it a chance to see how it plays.

And if it plays well?

People will just shut up and play it.

Guess it's just me, but I feel inclined to leave out the pointless bitchery until the final product gets tested by my own two hands.

*shrug*

icon14.gif