KOF Another Day Releasing times

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
no idea what you're talking about. I walked right in, and they handed me a plate. Maybe try it from Tizoc's link at s-c? No idea how it would be different, but I had no problem with it.

Bah. If the links are verbatum the same then it may just be my connection.
I'd search s-c's forums if I could w/o registering, but I evidently can't. Much less can I read that easter-egg pastael-ed colored forum.

Ah, well. I'll try again using Opera instead of Firefox.

Nope. I get an error 503: Incorrect Login.

Still asks for a login and password.

Last edited:

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
Taiso said:
Making the MI characters appealing is a lost venture. Nobody cares about them, and this anime isn’t going to change that. I know they’ve created this new cast of characters because they want to give the franchise a facelift but it’s not necessary despite what anyone thinks. SNK did not go bankrupt because KOF needed new characters. It went bankrupt because it didn’t know how to utilize the old characters it already had. Now, with new life, what do they do? Minimalize everything that brought them back from beyond the grave in the first place. All that money spent getting the intellectual properties back and what good is it if they’re just going to make a new batch of characters? And make them the focal point, no less! That would be like signing Peyton Manning, while he still has PLENTY of game left in him, as your quarterback and then benching him so you could start some rookie no one's ever heard of or cares about. At least Leona was a side character, albeit with an important role in things. Alba and Soiree are the main characters, given all the responsibility without deserving any of it (which is something I can’t say the same about Alex, K’, Rock or other characters that have supplanted the original ‘main guys’ of any fighting game franchise) and they simply don’t work. Despite my lack of interest in Kyo and Iori, I can at least admit that they have appeal. Alba and Soiree...not so much.

OMFG, This is like the best most truest most agreeable post there ever was.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
SPINMASTER X said:
OMFG, This is like the best most truest most agreeable post there ever was.
He's not really going out on a limb by saying the Falcoon designed characters seem and look ass. That's a pretty universal opinion; at least here.

But how many times do we see a lot of the same people complaining about SNKP reusing the same fanchises and characters over and over, and running them into the ground? If SNK had stopped trying to create new characters because the ones in Street Smart sucked back in '89, we never would have got anywhere. I say let them keep going, and they're bound to come up with somemthing new that's okay, eventually (maybe?).

The other thing being, people here have to be reminded again that we aren't their primary target audience anymore. If just worrying about satisfying us was enough to keep them afloat, arcades would still be alive, and both Capcom and SNK would still be making money hand over fist, pumping out 5 new fighting games a year each. Obviously they're not, and they're looking for new audiences with different tastes than the jaded-getting-older-2D-fans, many of whom don't feel like playing their newer 2D efforts anyway.

Cain Highwind

Kula's Candy
YO-YO-Boy said:
dam ep.2 sucks just like part 1. :oh_no:

dam another stupid post by Yo-Yo-Boy :oh_no:

I actually thought this episode was kind of interesting, with Rock and whatnot. I don't think they've ever mentioned Marie/Maria being a painter. I really hope this series gets turned into a real TV series and/or a movie, I think the art and animation are great and are more suited to KoF than Obari's style in the FF OVAs.

TemJin3000

Axel's Trainer
SouthtownKid said:
He's not really going out on a limb by saying the Falcoon designed characters seem and look ass. That's a pretty universal opinion; at least here.

But how many times do we see a lot of the same people complaining about SNKP reusing the same fanchises and characters over and over, and running them into the ground? If SNK had stopped trying to create new characters because the ones in Street Smart sucked back in '89, we never would have got anywhere. I say let them keep going, and they're bound to come up with somemthing new that's okay, eventually (maybe?).

The other thing being, people here have to be reminded again that we aren't their primary target audience anymore. If just worrying about satisfying us was enough to keep them afloat, arcades would still be alive, and both Capcom and SNK would still be making money hand over fist, pumping out 5 new fighting games a year each. Obviously they're not, and they're looking for new audiences with different tastes than the jaded-getting-older-2D-fans, many of whom don't feel like playing their newer 2D efforts anyway.

agreed...but,

not to entirely and contradictively disagree...i like Alba, Soiree and the many other new characters, but in a way more as "the more the merrier" rather than "this is my kind of character"...i dont like them as main characters at all...but hey, they are unique enough to be in a fighting game, so fair enough... also, Falcoon's designs may be a little too flashy, but they aren't THAT bad IMO.

other than my paragraph above, i agree...i feel somehow that SNK and Capcom are getting too ahead of themselves for these kind of things...its like they want to be the first one on the block to get something new and get all the attention for that....and just like that, the attention fades. (i hope thats a good metaphor... :help: ) just like Microsoft and Sony these days...i think.

Last edited:

TrueTrials

Olly C,
15 Year Member
Any links to the English subbed one? (Episode 2 that is)

So far only got the Spanish one or something, not ideal.

Cheers Olly

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Episode two is out and I have watched it. I am now here to give my review, but first:

>>He's not really going out on a limb by saying the Falcoon designed characters seem and look ass. That's a pretty universal opinion; at least here. <<

Just so it's understood, I don't have a problem with Falcoon, per se. I am actually a fan of Falcoon's art, and like both his character design and his costume design, as outlandish as it may be from time to time. So my disinterest in Alba and Soiree has nothing to do with the fact that they came from Falcoon's mind. He is a talented individual in my opinion.

Now, on to my review of the second chapter.

MUCH better than the first. As it was not saddled with the burden of having to watch Iori fight someone I have no interest in, I was able to enjoy what was being presented to me. There was no gratuituous appearance by characters that were on the screen simply to be seen, although it could be argued that Lien Neville's inclusion in the Billy Kane/Rock Howard fight was forced.

However, I understand why they put her in: she is distinctly a KOF: MI character, and this is a commercial effort to sell KOF: MI 2 to the masses. Therefore, this is an attempt to further network the characters into a whole, rather than have them being characters from separate game series crossing paths. While I prefer that KOF be a dream match every year, I welcome their attempts to construct some form of continuity between the various KOF/FF/AOF imprints. And in Lien's defense, at least she was trying to take out Billy Kane. While only a precursor to the Rock/Billy fight, at least they TRIED to give her a reason to be there. Conversely, with Athena and Mai in the first part, even the most clueless fuck could watch and understand that they're only in it for the fan service.

But there's something else going on in this volume that was not really present in the first. The backstory draws from Fatal Fury and Garou and everything that is implied in the Rock/Terry/Geese triumvorate. Terry's guilt at killing Geese and then wanting to raise Rock is a fantastic storytelling dynamic that could be used in any manga or anime, and could on its own be the grist for a 26 episode series or 13 volume comic book.

But as much as Terry's obligation to Rock (and to his own atonement, perhaps) could be the basis of a series, the fact of the matter is that the Fatal Fury universe has moved beyond solely Terry and Geese and Rock is what it's really all about. Rock's questions about what his destiny may be, his connection to Geese and his relationship with Terry are all central issues to Garou, as well as his affection for a mother that he may not have ever really known.

For an eight minute anime to be able to touch on all these issues just proves that Fatal Fury/Garou has the best of the SNK storylines since it's so rich in storytelling potential and not even a cartoon with an abbreviated length can hold it down so long as the subject matter pertains to the source material.

Using Billy Kane, Geese's most loyal and dangerous follower, as a surrogate for Geese himself during the fight is another added stroke of genius. Of course, Billy would disapprove of Rock's path in life, given how loyal he was/is to Geese. It's only natural, and I'm glad to see that the characters all stayed true to the logic behind their various nuances.

Ultimately, this chapter disappoints for a very different reason. It disappoints because it is such a great taste of what could be if SNK could only see what they have with Fatal Fury/Garou, and of how they could really do great things if they continued to use this franchise properly.

How can Alba and Soiree, who are a cut rate Terry and Andy on their BEST day, stack up to the Garou storyline? How could Kyo and Iori, whose story is such a pathetic cliche of what is common in anime and manga these days, even compare to what Terry and Rock have to offer as characters, for that matter?

8 minutes that were well spent. Too bad the next chapter will probably revolve around less interesting fare.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
I saw Episode 2 this past weekend and I thought it was great.

I admit, I watched it for the glory that was Billy Kane (well, DUH :p), but overall I was very pleased with how the Rock/Geese lack of relationship was portrayed. But I do have to agree with Taiso about Lien's inclusion, and it had to be done since she's an MI character. Still I was happy she was about to be nailed by Billy.

Then Rock had to interrupt. I love Rock to death, but damn he's dumb. He must get it from Terry.

So this episode gets two thumbs up from me.

Your resident Billy Kane fangirl,

Domino-chan

E=MC2

Ass Troll,, Ignorant, , , , (Do Not Resuscitate)
ep 3 sucked as well, damn. now just wait for the subs.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Episode 3 pros:
- No MI characters whatsoever. Just Ikaris vs. K' and Maxima (with very brief cameos by Heidern, Whip, and Kula).

cons:
- the shortest episode yet. Only about 4 minutes. The fight is over right after it begins.

Still, I liked it. Good K'/Maxima interaction. Good animation.

AlphaONE

King's Dry Cleaner
SouthtownKid said:
Episode 3 pros:
- No MI characters whatsoever. Just Ikaris vs. K' and Maxima (with very brief cameos by Heidern, Whip, and Kula).

cons:
- the shortest episode yet. Only about 4 minutes. The fight is over right after it begins.

Still, I liked it. Good K'/Maxima interaction. Good animation.

Same way I felt

I loved Clark's smirk
but Leona, Heidern, and Clark don't talk.

E=MC2

episode 4 has been out for those interrested.

E=MC2

not bad, but i do really hate the new charas with a passion. maybe falcoon joining snkp wasnt such a great idea after all. ive seen nothing worth mentioning that hes done so far, and making kof 3d isnt the greatest idea IMO, why not make a totally new 3d fighter. shit why not make a totally new 2d KOF, id be much happier.

TrueTrials

Olly C,
15 Year Member
Subbed one should be up in a few days then, where abouts did you get the non-subbed version from for now?

E=MC2

um theres a lot of places to get it from. for one go to cyberfanatix.com

its allready in the headlines, press the link and youll be in the forum, from here you can watch it streaming, or just scroll down a lil more and dl the shit to watch as you please.

Cain Highwind

Kula's Candy
Kind of weird the same subbing group spelled Soiree right in Episode 1 but spelled it "Sowree" here.

Also, what exactly does Luise say at the end? The subbers never translated it.