JUne arrival date for classic volumes now!!!!

SSS

neo retired
The FBA license means shit-all. The freeware's copyright expired in 2009.

If you really have 10,512 posts, I feel really bad for anyone who has had the misfortune of reading the other 10,500 I haven't read.

The fact that he hasn't updated that webpage since 2009 does not mean the copyright has expired.

The license is still actively included with source distribution files. And would have been with the beta build that Tommo fucked with.

Last edited:

SSS

neo retired
Also your logic doesn't make any sense. Last Blade has a copyright of 1997. So I guess that means the copyright has expired and I can download all I want.

Eze

n00b
How about you download the source and see it was dated to 2012

Alright, looks like you're right. I can accept being proven wrong. Just incredibly frustrated with how bad people are making this device out to be, yet boasting others. Not to mention, this is not the first time a company has used FBA like this.

SSS

neo retired
Alright, looks like you're right. I can accept being proven wrong. Just incredibly frustrated with how bad people are making this device out to be, yet boasting others. Not to mention, this is not the first time a company has used FBA like this.

1. Just cause others did it doesn't make it right.

2. The Neo X is a piece of shit. I purchased it with an open mind but was extremely disappointed within the first five minutes. A washed out LCD with horrible contrast. Screen tearing, cheap build quality, sound distortion, missing graphics etc...

Best Buy discounted this thing 50% within 4 months of it's release. That should tell you something.

Eze

n00b
1. Just cause others did it doesn't make it right.

2. The Neo X is a piece of shit. I purchased it with an open mind but was extremely disappointed within the first five minutes. A washed out LCD with horrible contrast. Screen tearing, cheap build quality, sound distortion, missing graphics etc...

Best Buy discounted this thing 50% within 4 months of it's release. That should tell you something.

I can understand your opinion, I just don't think it's that bad. I don't regret buying it. Also I don't understand why people flock here to bash it if they DON'T like it.

Also I want to take a moment to say sorry for being wrong. Should have checked before I made such a bold claim. Frustration can cause stupid decisions.

Last edited:

SSS

neo retired
I can understand your opinion, I just don't think it's that bad. I don't regret buying it. Also I don't understand why people flock here to bash it if they DON'T like it.

This site runs on drama, so you shouldn't expect any different.

This thing is a stain on the neo geo's heritage. SNKP is just whoring out the brand at this point. I don't really see why this device deserves it's own forum. It would be like a sega megadrive forum with subforums for every piece of licensed garbage clone system that AtGames makes.

Eze

n00b
This site runs on drama, so you shouldn't expect any different.

This thing is a stain on the neo geo's heritage. SNKP is just whoring out the brand at this point. I don't really see why this device deserves it's own forum. It would be like a sega megadrive forum with subforums for every piece of licensed garbage clone system that AtGames makes.

Still a cheaper alternative for coming with a gamepad and the ability to play on my TV. I would have to trade 4 of these to buy Garou MOW alone, let alone more games. Even if the picture and sound wasn't PERFECT, I'd still be playing a game for a ton cheaper. I'd also be supporting SNK.

Again, I can understand it's flaws, but in the end I don't find it as bad as everyone else. I appreciate things for what they are I suppose.

SSS

neo retired
Still a cheaper alternative for coming with a gamepad and the ability to play on my TV. I would have to trade 4 of these to buy Garou MOW alone, let alone more games. Even if the picture and sound wasn't PERFECT, I'd still be playing a game for a ton cheaper. I'd also be supporting SNK.

Again, I can understand it's flaws, but in the end I don't find it as bad as everyone else. I appreciate things for what they are I suppose.

Buy a cheap computer off craigslist, load up MAME or any other emulator. Plug your Neo X joystick up and you will get a much better experience.

If you want to support SNKP buy KOF 13

Eze

n00b
Buy a cheap computer off craigslist, load up MAME or any other emulator. Plug your Neo X joystick up and you will get a much better experience.

If you want to support SNKP buy KOF 13

I have MAME and I have KoF 13. I do use my Neo Geo X a lot though. It's nice havin' a little console under my TV.

whisper2053

Shigen's Fitness Trainer
Just for the record, while I may not have interpreted Tommo's original agreement with SNKP quite correctly, I am pretty sure that SNK doesn't get any more from sales of the X's than they already have. Based on the terminology that was published, it sounded like Tommo paid SNKP a flat licensing fee to utilize their IPs in the Tommo product. If that is in fact correct, SNKP already got their money and at this point couldn't care less how many or how few X's actually get sold.

Just some food for thought...

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Also I want to take a moment to say sorry for being wrong. Should have checked before I made such a bold claim. Frustration can cause stupid decisions.

If you had bothered to look back through this forum at all, you would see every point you brought up has been discussed in great length.

We are getting tired of the new people who join up and instantly come in here trying to justify their purchase, bitch how we are haters and how they are supporting SNK.

It's been said many time before, but I am going to repeat myself once more.

Issues with the NGX are:

• Stolen software. Bottom line is that they had NO right to use FBA in a commercial product without the authors permission. Which they didn't have since they never bothered to contact him. While it is open source, it has specific licensing details regarding commercial products.
  • That isn't all of the questionable software on the unit. Bundled inside the file system is also a couple other emulators and even a Sony Playstation bios! It goes without saying they didn't have the rights to distribute that and one should question why ANYTHING over than NeoGeo related files are even on this thing at all.
  • 16x9 screen. For a dedicated NeoGeo handheld, why on earth would they choose an incorrect ratio screen for it? And don't say it's because no one makes one or it's too expensive to use a 4x3 screen as the GCW Zero uses a 4x3 screen and actually has very similar hardware to the NGX.
  • Piss poor video and audio output. Other than screen tearing, it looks decent on the stock built in screen. Hook it up to your TV and ughhhhhh.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I just want to chime in on that guys Chromebook comments. The Chrome OS is Google Snow which is part of the Chromium project. Part of the kernel is Linux based but licensed and highly customized by Google. Not all Linux is free, the distros that do work cost money as Linux does not license their stuff out at no cost. If you want to go back further in that you have to look at the Unix kernel which all of these come from and I can assure you that is not free. Hell the Apple OS has a UX kernel and we all know their shit isn't free.

I'll argue with you all day on OS level software stuff so if you want to just toss things out there make sure you know what you are talking about. And like others said if you want to bitch about the prices of the Neo then you should just leave this forum. GameFaqs might be a better fit.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
This subforum is completely infested with first-world problems and fanboys. For real though. If I wanted to buy an AES, it would be WAY more money. The game prices are down right ridiculous, not to mention the console itself is stationary. Any other method of getting these games and playing them like they were made back in the day is ultimately more expensive. The NGX has problems, sure, but they're minor and anything WRONG with it can be fixed by software updates.

First and foremost, does the device WORK? Yes. It does. If not, you should be able to determine that within the time frame the warranty exists for. If problems arise after, stop dropping it. Buying an AES doesn't have a warranty period so that sucks.

If the argument made about getting a PSP or a Pandora, or any other emulation hand held is the best thing you can muster up, that's pretty stupid, especially considering it's pretty damn easy to modify the NGX. Who are you supporting when you buy a Pandora, or a PSP or a Dingoo? Not SNK. Sure, Tommo probably gets some money, but would you not rather support the company that brought you these damn games to begin with?

Waiting an extra couple months for an affordable version of these games which I can STILL play on my television and actually AFFORD (Garou MOW for example), isn't going to burden my existence. If the it burdens yours, you live a pretty good life.

Seriously I've never seen grown men whine about such little things so much in my life. As for the people who actually enjoy this, I'm with you. The people making it out to be the worst creation ever mustered, seriously, just stop.

I can actually picture the tears streaming down your face as you were writing this bullshit. Sounds like you're trying to convince yourself more than anything else. I love the excuse that everyone bought this trash to support the SNK charity. You're only lining Tommo's pockets noob. You bought a re-badged Dingoo from a company that has absolutely no idea what they are doing. At least you can now enjoy shitty emulation at turbo speeds.

SSS

neo retired
I just want to chime in on that guys Chromebook comments. The Chrome OS is Google Snow which is part of the Chromium project. Part of the kernel is Linux based but licensed and highly customized by Google. Not all Linux is free, the distros that do work cost money as Linux does not license their stuff out at no cost. If you want to go back further in that you have to look at the Unix kernel which all of these come from and I can assure you that is not free. Hell the Apple OS has a UX kernel and we all know their shit isn't free.

I'll argue with you all day on OS level software stuff so if you want to just toss things out there make sure you know what you are talking about. And like others said if you want to bitch about the prices of the Neo then you should just leave this forum. GameFaqs might be a better fit.

I liked his argument that Tommo wasn't selling software even though it was included in the product.

I'm sure if I made copies of OS X and started installing it on computers and selling them I could tell the apple lawyers "I'm just selling hardware"

Eze

n00b
I argued to begin with because I actually enjoy the product and seeing so many people hating on it is frustrating. I'm aware I came to this forum so I should have expected it, but goddamn. What you people see wrong with the quality of it, I just don't care about, because the thing works.

About the other arguments (Software illegalities), I literally said I was wrong and apologized for it. I can accept when I'm wrong about something, so I did. I understand that they're wrong for what they're doing, but that doesn't make me enjoy the games I'm playing any less.

About anything else I was wrong about, I understand what you're all saying and I apologize for my lack of research and my bold claims. Next time I won't argue something I'm not certain about.

As for the NGX, I got what I paid for and I don't regret buying it.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I argued to begin with because I actually enjoy the product and seeing so many people hating on it is frustrating. I'm aware I came to this forum so I should have expected it, but goddamn. What you people see wrong with the quality of it, I just don't care about, because the thing works.

Mac user?

As for the NGX, I got what I paid for and I don't regret buying it.

Sorry about your low standards.

Last edited:

Eze

n00b
Mac user?

Sorry about your low standards.

I'm not a Mac user. I'd rather not pay over a thousand dollars for something that works just as well as a Windows computer. If the comparison is said the be the same about the NGX and an AES, that's quite different because I only payed $200 for an arcade stick, a docking station and a handheld with 21 games. So essentially in this situation, the NGX would be Windows and the AES would be Mac (in terms of pricing and functionality of course).

I'd rather have low standards and enjoy things for what they are than have such high standards and only find flaws.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Or just be ignorant about the flaws and lying to yourself "I like this, I really really like this!" while rocking back and forth in the fetal position.
Whatever rocks your boat, champ.

Eze

n00b
Or just be ignorant about the flaws and lying to yourself "I like this, I really really like this!" while rocking back and forth in the fetal position.
Whatever rocks your boat, champ.

You're making it sound like the NGX is the absolute bane of your existence. Not sure if I should be happy that you live such a glorious life, or feel sorry for you.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
As for the NGX, I got what I paid for...

Lol! I've literally heard this exact phrase uttered by just about every Tommo customer. However, considering you'll be able to find them at the bottom of your local dollar store's bargain bin within the next couple of weeks, I would have to agree with you.

Last edited: