Is the current state of gaming kowtowing to tumblrinas?

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Once again, you would be more successful in directing your criticism towards Blizzard and not me.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Part of the problem is that while both men and women are objectified, we are socially trained as to see male objectification as positive and complimentary and associate it with freedom and empowerment. Female objectification is seen as negative, insulting, and associated with entrapment and being turned into a doll.

You have to consider feminism by and large has lost. What we have is instead of women trying to change society so female objectification is about empowerment, and to celebrate female sexuality in the same way we celebrate male sexuality. We have women wanting to just become men, and at the same time shame male sexuality in the way female sexuality has been shamed.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Once again, you would be more successful in directing your criticism towards Blizzard and not me.

No, it's safe to say you deserve the criticism because once again you've said stupid things.

I'm just going to disregard you from here on out unless it's in the wrestling thread. It's the only place you say anything worth a damn on this site.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
It is clear that the cultural critics are much more successful than the so called "Gamers".
Perhaps it is because they are more constructive. Whereas the cultural critics tend to direct their criticisms towards the publishers, gamers direct most of their criticism towards the critics, often in the form of misogyny.

No, they're successful because they're literally (and figuratively) deep in bed with each other.
http://www.deepfreeze.it/

The above site has an exhaustive amount of evidence of nepotism, favoritism, and corruption around journalists and critics, and how they use their platforms to prop each other up and spin narratives.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
No, they're successful because they're literally (and figuratively) deep in bed with each other.

The above site has an exhaustive amount of evidence of nepotism, favoritism, and corruption around journalists and critics, and how they use their platforms to prop each other up and spin narratives.

The sad thing about this is that the information has been out there for years regarding all of this, but some people just prefer to cling to their broken narrative of lies and rationalize a million reasons why systemic oppression and objectification are the reasons for these things.

Can't let a little truth get in the way of your feelings, after all.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I find it interesting that people have such a desire to have a protagonist in a video game represent them, especially when it comes to sexuality. Perhaps it's a newer topic because if you've been gaming for 30 years you're used to not giving a shit when at the dawn it was shitty pixels at best.

Either way, if it's that important fine, just don't pressure a dev or artist to change their vision because it's a hollow victory. These games exist to make money so vote with your wallet and miss out on games if you need to. If an accurate depiction of who X gamer identifies with exists in a game, hey that's fantastic but how pointless if it's dropped in for a cash grab.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

All of that "Corruption" has little to do with what the publishers do.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I find it interesting that people have such a desire to have a protagonist in a video game represent them, especially when it comes to sexuality. Perhaps it's a newer topic because if you've been gaming for 30 years you're used to not giving a shit when at the dawn it was shitty pixels at best.

Either way, if it's that important fine, just don't pressure a dev or artist to change their vision because it's a hollow victory. These games exist to make money so vote with your wallet and miss out on games if you need to. If an accurate depiction of who X gamer identifies with exists in a game, hey that's fantastic but how pointless if it's dropped in for a cash grab.

The initial study on people feeling the need to identify with the characters in games, the one that kicked off this ENTIRE shitstorm, was conducted by people who buy into the bullshit that is critical theory.

This study showed that gamers, by and large, do NOT feel the need to identify with the characters. Mostly, they are more invested in what the characters are doing.

These findings are acknowledged by the author of the original report. She then goes on to say that in order to shift the narrative, the perspective needs to be altered so that people believe that change is required, because the majority of the consumer base just doesn't care. This is an admission that the initial researcher actually made.

The reason the study was initially conducted was to determine how gamification can be used to instill 'desired' values in future generations through both edutainment and entertainment. But when the results of the study showed that it was a battle lost before it could even begin, they began focusing on shifting the perspective to the narrative so that when they came around to suggesting gamification for the instilling of desired societal values in the market base, it would be a message more easily received.

All of this-ALL OF THIS-is social engineerinng. And before you say this is crackpot, it isn't.

It's all about consumer culture, slaving people to a common core set of principles to make them more susceptible to feeding into the systems that they want them to feed into. There is a lot of money being poured in by a lot of foundations, to see that the things they want to produce are eceived positively by a consumer culture that will be all too eager to buy what they want to make.

The SJWs, the tumblrinas, are all just useful idiots serving politics and corporate greed.

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
It is clear that the cultural critics are much more successful than the so called "Gamers".

Perhaps it is because they are more constructive. Whereas the cultural critics tend to direct their criticisms towards the publishers, gamers direct most of their criticism towards the critics, often in the form of misogyny.

Ya blew it when you used the M word.

Critics are exactly the reason publishers are doing this. They are scarred of getting negative press from former Kotaku (who knew Hulk hogans last greatest match would be outside the ring), Giant bomb, polygon, and forums with an agenda such as Neogaf. Hell, Anita Sarkeesian has been invited to press conferences when she has been proved beyond a reasonable doubt a scammer.

It has gotten so bad that these game developers are hiring these special snowflakes in their campaign to promote "cultural diversity" when it is fucking fiction. Would Peter Parker being black enhance the story of spider-man? The fact they even considered doing so is bad taste. How about making a female protagonist? Make her too pretty misogynist, too ugly misogynist, vanilla as fuck misogynist. Pulling the misogyny card is like pulling the race card when it comes to comedy, it is the last refuge of someone who doesn't have a fucking argument. Don't people realize that a lot of female characters are also created by females? They must be misogynist too.

This isn't just exclusive to games, their is a new movement to get females into programming and it has been hilarious thus far. With this in mind, I have no problems with the idea, but the execution as they try to present that there is a problem when there isn't, just like in video games. Females don't usually program for the same reason guys don't usually become nurses, childcare providers, etc (and more power to men who do that). What is even more hilarious is that some of the best programmers have been females, look at Grace Hopper who created the first compiler for a computer programming language.

I mean look at this shit

https://github.com/ErisBlastar/cplusequality

I can't even make this shit up its that good.

Last edited:

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!

Critics are exactly the reason publishers are doing this. They are scarred of getting negative press from former Kotaku (who knew Hulk hogans last greatest match would be outside the ring), Giant bomb, polygon, and forums with an agenda such as Neogaf. Hell, Anita Sarkeesian has been invited to press conferences when she has been proved beyond a reasonable doubt a scammer.

It has gotten so bad that these game developers are hiring these special snowflakes in their campaign to promote "cultural diversity" when it is fucking fiction. Would Peter Parker being black enhance the story of spider-man? The fact they even considered doing so is bad taste. How about making a female protagonist? Make her too pretty misogynist, too ugly misogynist, vanilla as fuck misogynist. Pulling the misogyny card is like pulling the race card when it comes to comedy, it is the last refuge of someone who doesn't have a fucking argument. Don't people realize that a lot of female characters are also created by females? They must be misogynist too.

This isn't just exclusive to games, their is a new movement to get females into programming and it has been hilarious thus far. With this in mind, I have no problems with the idea, but the execution as they try to present that there is a problem when there isn't, just like in video games. Females don't usually program for the same reason guys don't usually become nurses, childcare providers, etc (and more power to men who do that). What is even more hilarious is that some of the best programmers have been females, look at Grace Hopper who created the first compiler for a computer programming language.

I mean look at this shit

The C+Equality is a troll operation started by tech communities around the time of DongleGate, when it became apparent that SJW infestation was ruining places like GitHub and the FOSS community with toxic virtue signalling bullshit.
It was meant to be an example of Poe's Law in action.

SJWs infiltrated GitHub en masse and started "contributing" to projects calling everyone racists/sexist/transphobic and demanding that people be removed from projects, calling for "increased diversity" (more of our people_ in project groups, and calling Meritocracy "problematic" (because it would mean they'd have to contribute actual code to projects).

They're doing the same thing now with gaming. They did the same thing with literature, colleges, and television already.
A lot of these people are hardcore marxists/communists, and they're trying very very hard to get themselves into positions of power and influence so they can direct western culture to be the way they want it.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender

I mean look at this shit

That link is hilarious, but I think that language is in the vein of the joke language where you had to say please before any command.

I don't see a problem with getting women into programming; the REAL problem is women using emacs.... thats what we need to stop.

Also if having more female protagonists spawn interesting characters like Estelle Bright, or Aya Brea, its fine with me. Character diversity is much needed since right now a LOT of AAA games seem to have the same tropes and look, its boring.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Also if having more female protagonists spawn interesting characters like Estelle Bright, or Aya Brea, its fine with me. Character diversity is much needed since right now a LOT of AAA games seem to have the same tropes and look, its boring.

No one (not even the most hardcore Gamergate idiot) has a problem with female protagonists. It's all a strawman where these people say some insane shit (like Samus Aran being trans and if you don't think so, you're an asshole), normal people say "WTF are you talking about... are you high?" and their response is "well you're just a misogynist who is afraid of women encroaching on your boy's club"! Uhhh no. The vast majority of us are liberal free-thinkers who welcome diversity in the gaming community, in gaming development and among gaming characters with open arms. The more games and the more variety, the better.

What we don't appreciate is getting constantly shit on and called knuckle-dragging neanderthals because we also like games that feature violence, adult language, men as lead characters and/or women that are attractive. It's the psychotic far left taking pages from the psychotic far right's playbook.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
No one (not even the most hardcore Gamergate idiot) has a problem with female protagonists. It's all a strawman where these people say some insane shit (like Samus Aran being trans and if you don't think so, you're an asshole), normal people say "WTF are you talking about... are you high?" and their response is "well you're just a misogynist who is afraid of women encroaching on your boy's club"! Uhhh no. The vast majority of us are liberal free-thinkers who welcome diversity in the gaming community, in gaming development and among gaming characters with open arms. The more games and the more variety, the better.

What we don't appreciate is getting constantly shit on and called knuckle-dragging neanderthals because we also like games that feature violence, adult language, men as lead characters and/or women that are attractive. It's the psychotic far left taking pages from the psychotic far right's playbook.

All 100% true. But if they don't have their boogeyman, they can't tap their racism/sexism/phobia mana to play their victim cards.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender

I think the problem is.... most of the attention is from hyper violent or hyper sexualized games, and some games have it for no reason. Cheescake is just one tool in the toolbox, its shouldn't be a hammer.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Part of the problem is that while both men and women are objectified, we are socially trained as to see male objectification as positive and complimentary and associate it with freedom and empowerment. Female objectification is seen as negative, insulting, and associated with entrapment and being turned into a doll.

You have to consider feminism by and large has lost. What we have is instead of women trying to change society so female objectification is about empowerment, and to celebrate female sexuality in the same way we celebrate male sexuality. We have women wanting to just become men, and at the same time shame male sexuality in the way female sexuality has been shamed.

Well thought out.

If women want to be seen as equals, men have to now be put in the position women used to be in, in other words, then have to be less macho, more vulnerable, etc.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Sex sells, most girls are constantly trying to look as attractive as they can, I don't get the problem with sexualized female characters in anything... Let alone a scene that is mostly made up of male teen to adult enthusiasts.

What's wrong with a pretty gal? :scratch:

Guys want to be strong and badass, we get strong and badass male characters.

Girls want to be sexy, we get sexy girl characters.

I don't see many scrawny gamers bitching that most guys in games are more physically masculine/muscular than them.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Here are some greatest hits from Peggy Mcintosh to see how crazy sjw and feminist are, and this is being taught in college as a mandatory class.

I like number 9, even the author knows her book is bullshit.

But my favorite is 47 "I can choose blemish cover or banages in flesh color and have them more or less match my skin."

Man, bandaid color has it tough, his color makes him have an innate advantage over other non bandaid colors. His color is what determines his job efficiently, not what he does.

What he doesn't know is that by being bandaid color he has "bandaid privilege" and has an easier time in life due to it.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Here are some greatest hits from Peggy Mcintosh to see how crazy sjw and feminist are, and this is being taught in college as a mandatory class.

But my favorite is 47 "I can choose blemish cover or banages in flesh color and have them more or less match my skin."

Man, bandaid color has it tough, his color makes him have an innate advantage over other non bandaid colors. His color is what determines his job efficiently, not what he does.

What he doesn't know is that by being bandaid color he has "bandaid privilege" and has an easier time in life due to it.

WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I just read both those pages, I'm starting to understand why book burnings were popular.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
this is what happens when you live your entire life in a first world country devoid of conflict and trouble. you start to create problems for yourself.

xorthen

Banned
"I can go into a music shop and find music of my race represented"

LOL

That's fucking horse shit. I have been to music stores that didn't carry underground metal records. Is it a conspiracy?

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
"I can go into a music shop and find music of my race represented"

LOL

How does this not apply to everyone though? Every music shop I've been into has pretty much every section or genre you could imagine.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
I don't see any Tibetan Throat Singing in my local music store.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member

Hey man, you should direct this towards the publishers.

Remember, in the idiot's world view, attacking the symptom is the answer. Just leave the cause alone.

That'll fix everything.