Is the current state of gaming kowtowing to tumblrinas?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Yeah so Overwatch is popular here, I see it's an FPS by Blizzard right? Well I went to its wiki and this stuck out:

While the developers were aiming to avoid sexualization of the characters, there was some criticism of the female characters of the game during its development. Anita Sarkeesian commented on the lack of diversity in the female heroes' body types from the game's first twelve revealed characters,[50] while Nathan Grayson of Kotaku remarked that "Overwatch's women are mostly super slim and clad in cat suits."[45] In response to these criticisms and to reassert their commitment to diversity and avoiding sexualization, the team developed a new female character, Zarya, a Tank class character with an atypical body shape.[51] Following promotional images featuring the female character Tracer in March 2016, a thread on Blizzard's official forums drew attention to one of Tracer's victory poses, which was critiqued by a user as out of character and oversexualized. Games Director, Jeff Kaplan, apologized for the pose, stating "The last thing we want to do is make someone feel uncomfortable, under-appreciated or misrepresented," and confirmed that Blizzard planned to replace the pose. Kaplan's response drew mixed reactions from the gaming community, with many claiming Blizzard had forgone its creative control over the game and censored its content to placate one offended user, while others praised Blizzard's willingness to listen to the community and adhere to standards for portraying a character according to their personality. Jeff Kaplan later stated that the team was already unsure of the pose and was thinking of changing it.[52] The following week, a replacement pose was released, although it was noted to be similar to the original pose.[53][54] The replacement pose was alleged to be influenced by a Billy De Vorss cheesecake pin-up illustration. The pose was replaced during the game's beta period, before the game's launch

It is so utterly ludicrous that these feminist retards are whining about unrealistic and sexy female designs IN A VIDEO GAME.

It's even more ridiculous that Blizzard agreed with them and made changes to the game to appease them (and thus, get the girl gamer $$$).

Is this happening in other games? I like how unapologetic the designs are in Dragon's Crown. I am obviously out of the loop here but am really surprised by how devs are listening and seemingly kowtowing to their whinging.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Didn't China make a knock-off version off Overwatch already?

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
everyone has the right to be offended but that doesn't mean others should suffer because you're a whiny bitch.

I really hate this world sometimes

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
As long as they don't take our burger ads.
5b5d97a253ec96b0d95183942f17d34a.jpg

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Ugly feminists have been at this issue for a while. You don't see male gamers complaining that male protagonists have good bodies. Nothing new though. Just another spineless company caving into the vocal minority.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Didn't China make a knock-off version off Overwatch already?

Yeah it's called Battleborn :keke:

What you cucks are missing is that the replacement pose is actually better, more clever and more "sexy" (whatever the fuck it means) than the original one.

Overall just another case of fat, unfucked feminists crying wolf.

Meanwile, Doa Xtreme 3 gets a titty and ass size slider.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Would any of these people complaining about the sexism in the game actually have purchased the game anyway? The developers should think about that.

On the flip side, a lot of developers (especially those wacky Japanese) do need to reevaluate female characters in games. I'm almost 40 now, and some of this shit is just embarrassing to watch.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Ugly feminists have been at this issue for a while. You don't see male gamers complaining that male protagonists have good bodies. Nothing new though. Just another spineless company caving into the vocal minority.

I want to elaborate on this point a bit. I agree with you and just want to expand on the idea some.

Every time a male gamer brings up how 'men are half naked in video games, too', some third wave femenist tumblrina brings up how males in video games are portrayed as powerful, not objectified.

This is a stupid argument.

Let's suppose, for a second, that young male gamers only want to play virile adonis types. It's untrue (it's already been scientifically proven gamers are more engaged with the activity and not the character itself in a game).

Why is that?

There are, as I see it, a few reasons:

It's partly for the power and independence that such a physique grants a person. Peak physical condition not only gives you the strength to do what you need to do, but the confidence to do it as well.

But the other reason, the reason the feme-cunts don't acknowledge because it doesn't conveniently fit their pathetic narrative, is because to most young men who engage in escapist fantasies, having that kind of body and performing those feats of heroism makes them desirable to those around them.

Physical perfection isn't just about power. It's about acceptance from others.

It's a trope as old as the culture of storytelling. Heroism bestows entitlement. We do things and people like us for it. And if we look great, others will desire us for those traits.

I really don't understand what these peoples' fucking problem is with just acknowledging their primal human nature. It's encoded in us. It's not something to be suppressed. Neither is it something we should abandon reason or responsibility for. But in the right amount, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I like sexy women. I like sexy women in real life and I like them in my games, movies, comics, novels, etc. There's no reason I can't have them.

They can all fuck right off my planet. They're wasting perfectly good oxygen.

A little harsh for someone of my even temperament. I'm just sick of their pointless bullshit first world problems. Go to the middle east, where feminism is needed.

Soppy cunts.

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Guilty unfuckable white people gonna be guilty and unfuckable.

I would give these people's arguments a lot more credence if they weren't such shameless hypocrites. Bearded Ryu became "Hot Ryu" in all the same circles where any woman wearing tight clothes or showing an inch of skin is a victim of "the male gaze" and needs to be redesigned to better represent women. They can say they're ogling him ironically all they want but it's the same juvenile shit.

That said, I'm not naive or stupid enough to think that video games are some unassailable pillar of virtue. I personally don't play the DoA games because, in addition to the mechanics being Fisher Price Virtua Fighter, the boob physics are embarrassing for anyone over the age of 15 and the characters have all of the personality of a real doll. The difference is that I have no problem with other people enjoying them even if I don't and can acknowledge that adults can differentiate what's acceptable in a fantasy space from what's acceptable in the real world. Just like with film, music and any other form of entertainment.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I actually really enjoy the DOA games, but the criticism is valid.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Let's be honest, women in videogames were starting to get a litttttle out of hand. Boob size went to ludicrous levels the last few years.
That being said, I think it's fine to have women sexualized in games. They are f'n games.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Let's be honest, women in videogames were starting to get a litttttle out of hand. Boob size went to ludicrous levels the last few years.

But that begs the question: what is inherently sexist or demeaning to women about big boobs? There are plenty of women out there with very large breasts. Are they not allowed to have representation in entertainment simply because some men like big boobs? Is there no room for camp or cheesecake? Does a fantasy drawing or a 3D character model REALLY provide unrealistic expectations for women that the fashion industry, movies and simple peer pressure somehow doesn't?

The sorceress from Dragon's Crown is the perfect example of this. The designs in that game are clearly based off of old Frank Frazetta paintings and all of the characters are ridiculous exaggerations of masculinity/femininity (hugely-muscled He-men, the Amazon's giant thighs, etc.) but the only character that the feminist hordes came after was the sorceress. Why? Giant tits.

Anyway, what astounds me most about the whole thing is that people fought with politicians, parents' councils and Jack Fucking Thompson for a decade because we all knew that video games don't make people violent, people are violent by their very nature and therefore want to play violent video games. It was common fucking sense and the research bears it out. However, now when the attack vector becomes video games make people sexist/racist/etc., everyone just rolls the fuck over when there is absolutely no evidence to support that nonsense either.

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
I want to elaborate on this point a bit. I agree with you and just want to expand on the idea some.

Every time a male gamer brings up how 'men are half naked in video games, too', some third wave femenist tumblrina brings up how males in video games are portrayed as powerful, not objectified.

Let's suppose, for a second, that young male gamers only want to play virile adonis types. It's untrue (it's already been scientifically proven gamers are more engaged with the activity and not the character itself in a game).

Why is that?

It's partly for the power and independence that such a physique grants a person. Peak physical condition not only gives you the strength to do what you need to do, but the confidence to do it as well.

But the other reason, the reason the feme-cunts don't acknowledge because it doesn't conveniently fit their pathetic narrative, is because to most young men who engage in escapist fantasies, having that kind of body and performing those feats of heroism makes them desirable to those around them.

It's a trope as old as the culture of storytelling. Heroism bestows entitlement. We do things and people like us for it. And if we look great, others will desire us for those traits.

I really don't understand what these peoples' fucking problem is with just acknowledging their primal human nature. It's encoded in us. It's not something to be suppressed. Neither is it something we should abandon reason or responsibility for. But in the right amount, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I like sexy women. I like sexy women in real life and I like them in my games, movies, comics, novels, etc. There's no reason I can't have them.

A little harsh for someone of my even temperament. I'm just sick of their pointless bullshit first world problems. Go to the middle east, where feminism is needed.

Soppy cunts.

giphy.gif

Said it better than I could ever hope to.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
On the flip side, a lot of developers (especially those wacky Japanese) do need to reevaluate female characters in games. I'm almost 40 now, and some of this shit is just embarrassing to watch.

THIS. Although a much bigger problem is the sexualized girls that look about 12. The Vita library is full of this.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
But that begs the question: what is inherently sexist or demeaning to women about big boobs? There are plenty of women out there with very large breasts. Are they not allowed to have representation in entertainment simply because some men like big boobs? Is there no room for camp or cheesecake? Does a fantasy drawing or a 3D character model REALLY provide unrealistic expectations for women that the fashion industry, movies and simple peer pressure somehow doesn't?

The sorceress from Dragon's Crown is the perfect example of this. The designs in that game are clearly based off of old Frank Frazetta paintings and all of the characters are ridiculous exaggerations of masculinity/femininity (hugely-muscled He-men, the Amazon's giant thighs, etc.) but the only character that the feminist hordes came after was the sorceress. Why? Giant tits.

Anyway, what astounds me most about the whole thing is that people fought with politicians, parents' councils and Jack Fucking Thompson for a decade because we all knew that video games don't make people violent, people are violent by their very nature and therefore want to play violent video games. It was common fucking sense and the research bears it out. However, now when the attack vector becomes video games make people sexist/racist/etc., everyone just rolls the fuck over when there is absolutely no evidence to support that nonsense either.

A great point. Big boobs aren't a big deal. And if people like big boobs, so what?

If people buy things with big boobs in them...so what?

Don't like big boobs? Make your own fucking thing without big boobs. Stop crying about internalized and indoctrinated forms of oppression in entertainment. Systemic my ass.

They cry 'objectification' but when Kit Harington from Game of Thrones comes out and says 'men are objectified too' (and he cites many examples of photo shoots he was asked to partake in where his sexuality was front and center and he didn't always appreciate that), the femecunts tweet 'boo hoo kitty kat.'

They're morally reprehensible hypocrites.

That feels like a slogan. 'Big boobs aren't a big deal.'

As to your last point about people fighting for creative freedom and then willingly giving it away to massage their hurt feelings, this is the problem with social media.

It's big shell realized. Give everyone a voice and people start taking in too much information. They can no longer discern what's useful from what's useless and in the end, anyone providing clear direction gets purchase with the masses. This is why Trump is even sniffing presidential air right now: he presents the illusion of authenticity.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
meh - I think the complaints are valid. Internet makes squeaky wheels squeakier.

This is why there are genres, you know, like movies and every other form of entertainment media. If you don't want to see scantily clad, hot chicks then don't go and watch "Hot Bitches in Prison Break Out VII" and bitch about it being sexist. This is what's happening. For me, it's the equivalent of cranky moms back in the late 80's bitching about violent anime, "cartoons are for kids!" - how'd that work out for you?

Some games are wildly sexist...but who cares? Play fucking Tetris. Don't try to shape the creative industry to fit your sensitivity.

It's all just media noise...as long as games sell well, they will continue as they are.

Marek

Banned

Why is that?

Soppy cunts.

10/10

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Some games are wildly sexist...but who cares? Play fucking Tetris. Don't try to shape the creative industry to fit your sensitivity.

Tetris is oppressive. Think about it. Some blocks don't fit it all because they're too fat. It's saying if you're not skinny enough to fit in, you go against the goals of success.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You know, the long skinny pieces are the most useful pieces in the game.