Is the current state of gaming kowtowing to tumblrinas?

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I'm probably going to be showing my ignorance in this post here and I'm probably going to be repeating points that have already been made, but...

I'm pretty sure the game industry, like every other industry, is only kowtowing to the almighty dolla.

Video games are texts, just like books, buildings, and bowling are texts. They're subject to the same critical lenses, including feminist theory, as any other texts. I don't understand why Anita Sarkeesian gets under people's skin. I've never read anything she's written or watched any of her videos. That she reads video game tropes as sexist has as much impact on my life as much as someone considering the design of my house Stalinist.

I guess I don't get it. What are we mad or worried about? That game developers might be listening?

Taiso said:
Critical theory is garbage and poison.

Ah shit. Wish I'd read this before throwing the word "text" around like that.

Last edited:

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
Here are some greatest hits from Peggy Mcintosh to see how crazy sjw and feminist are, and this is being taught in college as a mandatory class.

I like number 9, even the author knows her book is bullshit.

But my favorite is 47 "I can choose blemish cover or banages in flesh color and have them more or less match my skin."

Man, bandaid color has it tough, his color makes him have an innate advantage over other non bandaid colors. His color is what determines his job efficiently, not what he does.

What he doesn't know is that by being bandaid color he has "bandaid privilege" and has an easier time in life due to it.

Who uses "flesh" colored band-aids? These work a lot better.
duct-tape-band-aids-manly-first-aid-by-3m-nexcare.jpeg

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
When did BloodyCelt start posting complete thoughts?

Because he brought up games being tropey and boring, and shit, and maybe he's on to something there. I don't believe that criticism ever ruined a medium and I'm unconvinced by the instances cited as being (self) censorship resulting from feminist criticism.

Really, the problem might be that video games are still (and may always be) an immature genre. "Video Game Journalism" started out with magazines providing previews of upcoming games and reviews of released games. Today, what need do we have for that? We can just receive the press releases directly. We can read peer scores and watch amateur gameplay videos and look at review aggregators without actually reading reviews.

So what's there to talk about? An underwhelming kick starter? A director getting fired?

Is the industry so boring, and the product so infantile, that half-competent indie games become critical darlings for being, at least, more interesting?

Are video games interesting enough on their own merits to write about every day? Or do you, as a games journalist, have to find some kind of lens that allows you to keep writing?

I find that more plausible than cabal of social engineers. The “state of gaming” is a product of systemic forces; the “state of gaming journalism” is a product of systemic forces.

You could apply this to culture and cultural studies more generally, of course. What do we choose to talk about? What's been said a thousand times already? What hasn't? Micro-aggressions are more novel than classical studies.

Yo man, terror management is the only game we're really playing here.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
How does this not apply to everyone though? Every music shop I've been into has pretty much every section or genre you could imagine.

I once went to a music shop that dealt exclusively in "black" genres like rap. I was the only white guy there. Once I realized I wasn't going to find any metal, I left.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Stop paying attention to these people and they will find something else to bitch about and go a way. Shit they might even have to get real jobs and deal with other people like most grown ups.

The term tumblrina shouldn't exist. Call them what they are: hyper micro aggressive cunt bloggers.

It's all bullshit.

Last edited:

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Stop paying attention to these people and they will find something else to bitch about and go a way.

They did this in colleges.
They're not doing it just for attention. They're doing it for control.
They're a self-sustaining ecology, and they're bedmates with media. If you ignore them, it just lets them set up shop quietly and get so entrenched that they cannot be excised easily.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
They're a self-sustaining ecology, and they're bedmates with media. If you ignore them, it just lets them set up shop quietly and get so entrenched that they cannot be excised easily.

Then they're not really being ignored. If they were they wouldn't have the money to do and say whatever bullshit they're up to. They wouldn't be bedmates with "legitimate" media if no one actually paid attention.

They are an afterbirth of the Neo-PC eculture.

Nothing more.

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
I'm always amazed when I find myself in the company of these people.
granted, I go to a state college, so maybe I shouldn't be.

What always gets me is that people don't seem to understand that you can be for equality without calling yourself a "feminist"
Can women do any job men can? Sure, why not.
can any woman do a "man's job"? not really, I don't want some 95 lb. waif working on a mover's truck.
people are different, get used to it.

This whole "safe space" thing is just total bullshit.
People don't need to be afraid to walk down the street, but if you are, maybe you should change the situation in which you find yourself.
lift weights, box, get a gun, take some actual action instead of bitching about it.
Sexual assault and rape are often flagged as the big reasons behind "safe space" and they absolutely happen.
I just suggest doing something about it.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Where there's a niche in the ecosystem, an organism will arrive to occupy it. Creators create a niche for imitators and publishers to occupy, publishers create a niche for critics and commentators, and critics create a niche for counter-critics.

I mean, do you think the Vox Days and Milo Yiannopouloses of the world want to put themselves out of work by defeating the Anita Sarkeesians and Zoë Quinns? The control and freedom angle is, respectfully, for the punters.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I mean, do you think the Vox Days and Milo Yiannopouloses of the world want to put themselves out of work by defeating the Anita Sarkeesians and Zoë Quinns? The control and freedom angle is, respectfully, for the punters.

If they had any self worth let alone professional integrity, then yes.

PS: I don't know who any of those people are and they all sound made up but I trust Sticks so.... But I'm sure all deserve to be slapped.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Where there's a niche in the ecosystem, an organism will arrive to occupy it. Creators create a niche for imitators and publishers to occupy, publishers create a niche for critics and commentators, and critics create a niche for counter-critics.

Vox Day? o.0 You mean the guy involved with the Sad (or Rabid?) Puppies that disrupted the Hugo Awards? You make an interesting comparison. Anita might be a bit off the deep end on occasion, but I don't think she's as disruptive as Vox Day.

And Zoe Quinn? This is what happens when people make a big deal about a woman making a bad overhyped videogame. If people just said the game sucked and moved on.... then at worst she'd be making another craptastic overhyped video game.

Do people send EA death threats?

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Did Lonesage create a feminist discussion thread?

Why don't all you oppressive males come play Overwatch instead of discussing this forgettable shit..

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Why don't all you oppressive males come play Overwatch instead of discussing this forgettable shit..

And you have to play as the girl character because if you play as the guy character and shoot the girl players then you are (I don't know what the words are, karou help me)

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
Shitlord.
I believe the proper tumblrism is "Shitlord"

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
this is what happens when you live your entire life in a first world country devoid of conflict and trouble. you start to create problems for yourself.

Wow Sage hit the nail on the head with this one.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
What always gets me is that people don't seem to understand that you can be for equality without calling yourself a "feminist"
People don't get that because feminists in 2016 have no interest in equality. If they did, they'd be doing things like demanding that women register for the Selective Service.