Is the AtomisWave the spiritual successor to the NeoGeo? PICS ADDED!

Is the AtomisWave the spiritual successor to the NeoGeo?

• Yes!

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • No!

Votes: 56 67.5%
  • Maybe!

Votes: 13 15.7%

• Total voters

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Yeah, I agree with you, on that part. The Atomiswave and the Type X System are not true hardware successors to the NEO. Imho, I don't believe the NEO has a hardware successor. But, in my book, the NEO does have a Spiritual (Software Publishing Platform) Successor--and that is the Atomiswave and the Type X Systems.

Yeha, Iirc, after the NEO, gaming companies started pulling their R&D Resources together to develop "Universal Gaming Systems" so OPs wouldn't have to buy new arcade setup every time a new game came out. The game plan was to develop a new and competitive arcade platform (system) to game on and license the use of it to anybody who wanted to develop a game for it. Did it really work? IDK, still seems like they were making a new computer system ever couple of years or so for everyone to buy.

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Yeah, I agree with you, on that part. The Atomiswave and the Type X System are not true hardware successors to the NEO. Imho, I don't believe the NEO has a hardware successor. But, in my book, the NEO does have a Spiritual (Software Publishing Platform) Successor--and that is the Atomiswave and the Type X Systems.

Yeha, Iirc, after the NEO, gaming companies started pulling their R&D Resources together to develop "Universal Gaming Systems" so OPs wouldn't have to buy new arcade setup every time a new game came out. The game plan was to develop a new and competitive arcade platform (system) to game on and license the use of it to anybody who wanted to develop a game for it. Did it really work? IDK, still seems like they were making a new computer system ever couple of years or so for everyone to buy.

Well... Then again, most companies don't like to share profits with a licensor, or be saddled with hardware constraints of a platform they don't control, unless there is a huge cost benefit for doing so. When there were Neo Geos in every arcade, SNK had a corner of the market that could afford them to get Taito, Sunsoft, Data East and others on board to make games... Even then they couldn't sway the big dogs like Capcom and Konami who had platforms of their own. For several years technology was improving leaps and bounds to the point where games developed just a few years prior, on older hardware, really looked old next to their newer counterparts. That's not so much the case anymore. We're hitting a threshold where you can keep putting in cores, more RAM, etc, but overall the experience isn't changing much. Maybe it's time now for a universal arcade machine... Too bad there would be no arcades to sell them to :)

bryan

Geese's Thug
So how much did you have to pay for Kenju, and screw you for another reveal. I would love to call you a bunch of names right now. BUT I am better then you.

8man

Administrator
hmmm, maybe you want to trade it for a minty Dirty Pigskin Football?

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Missed Opportunities

hmmm, maybe you want to trade it for a minty Dirty Pigskin Football?

Ah yes Mark!
There was a time when I would have paid high and/or traded heavy for your extra DPF cartridge! (as we had discussed) But alas, I was able to source one elsewhere and so sadly I already have one now.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
The only reason this thread is a big deal is because Supergun posted it...

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
What does Kenju have to do with SNK? Are we really supposed to care about every unreleased arcade game now?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
What's more saddening is how quickly it all ended for the MVS at the end due to the SNK->SNK Playmore transition.

Eh, it had a good run. Sure, I'd have loved to have seen some of the games that were announced toward the end of the MVS's life, especially the oddballs such as Dance Rhythm Mix, but it really was ancient arcade tech by the time 2003 was coming to a close.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Eh, it had a good run. Sure, I'd have loved to have seen some of the games that were announced toward the end of the MVS's life, especially the oddballs such as Dance Rhythm Mix, but it really was ancient arcade tech by the time 2003 was coming to a close.

Perhaps, but I would have loved to see the Neo Geo be used for more than SHUMPS, Fighters and Puzzle games with the occasional Platformer and Sports/Racing title. The problem was that the machine was first and forever intended as an arcade platform and so could never compete with the variety of games for systems like the Genesis and the SNES, even if those systems weren't as powerful. Just like Nintendo has proven in the past, sometimes graphics aren't everything. It really did set itself up as a niche home console when all it ever tried to do was guarantee port parity between home and arcade.

Edit: You know what would really be cool for the Neo? Flight simulator or Memory card-based RPG. Where's my Secret of Mana port?

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
The Hyper's 2D capabilities were never realized.

Can you imagine another 140+ Neo games, + the 10 or so good PGM games, plus more of the just shy of NAOMI caliber 3D we got out of it?

It's like SuperGrafx all over again.

7 games for the 'successor' hardware (that never took off), just to return to the precursor hardware for an atypical hardware run/cycle.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Does this have to do with the SNK Atomiswave Dev boards?

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Well it just so happens I've got a storage unit full of unreleased Atomiswave games. However they are all in the back of it behind the common stuff in the front and I can't get to them right now to take any pictures. Also my car is kind of broken at the moment and I can't really take the time to drive out to my storage unit to move the stuff just to take some pictures. Anyhow just believe that I have them okay.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Who gives a shit about atomiswave? The Naomi's retarded little brother.
Another billy shitt fagfest for you which will ultimately lead to nothing but please continue to stroke his unjustified ego.

Last edited:

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I pretty much agree with this re: the Atomiswave, not really the Type X as much, as it only received a couple of titles here and there vs SNKP launching a spectrum of well know franchises across the AW (SS, KOF, MS etc). Although, I'd still discuss that the AW was an intended spiritual successor as opposed to an actual spiritual (or) successor.

-

What saddens me is that KOF XI could be easily achieved on MVS/AES hardware.
I also believe that a version of XI could have been achieved on the AES/MVS. However, whilst I respect the sentiment (for obvious reasons) it was just time to move on by '03 onwards. It would have been nice to have had the AW titles as AES/MVS titles sans the HiRes 3D bkgds complete with nice aliased sprites/pixels, but I'm just grateful for what we got regardless for AW (& PS2 ;) )

If I had to have selected one AW title as the 'final' AES/MVS title, it would have been NGBC. After all the title and premise of the game would have been really fitting as the machines last NeoGeo game...

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Does this have to do with the SNK Atomiswave Dev boards?

1SG2dSl.jpeg

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Woah there, Brian, you don't get to have all the fun...

DSCN0114_zpse1a740b5.jpg

DSCN0113_zpsbb873368.jpg

I've even placed it on a cutting board, 'cuz I heard that's what all the cool kids were doin'.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
so are you guys saying that the AW R&D board was made by SNK?