Is the AtomisWave the spiritual successor to the NeoGeo? PICS ADDED!

Is the AtomisWave the spiritual successor to the NeoGeo?

• Yes!

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • No!

Votes: 56 67.5%
  • Maybe!

Votes: 13 15.7%

• Total voters

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
I have a very important and significant question and subsequent discovery that I would like for the neogeo community to ponder. (yes, I have a very valid reason for posting this as "news" rather then as "discussion".)

The question is: Do you feel that the Atomiswave is the "spiritual successor" to the NeoGeo?

Now before you answer, there is actually a very important and significant reason why I want to know the answer to this question, and I will get to it eventually later in this thread, but before we all chime in with our answers of yes or no, I would like to present the best evidence which supports the theory that indeed the Atomiswave is the spiritual successor to the neogeo. I then welcome any contrasting points of view, but I ask that those who choose to do so please provide contrary supporting evidence to go along with their opinions in much the same way that I have done below to support it.

FACT 1:
The NeoGeo 64 was perhaps intended to be the successor, but it only lasted from 1997 to 1999, and was then dropped, while the original neogeo kept going for 5 more years
(this fact would therefore disqualify itself)

FACT 2:
The Neogeo arcade mvs hardware was retired in 2004, with the final official mvs cartridge game release "Samurai Showdown 5 Special Edition".
(no other official games have been released on it since)

FACT 3:
The Atomiswave arcade hardware was released in 2003, with the first SNK properties being released for it in 2004, the same year the mvs was retired.
(almost like a changing of the guard if you will)

FACT 4:
The Atomiswave hardware is "modular", very similar to the neogeo hardware in that it uses a main board and removable cartridges.
(a format which is very popular among operators, gamers, and collectors)

FACT 5:
Several SNK intellectual properties were released on the Atomiswave, as well as several sequels to exclusive NEOGEO hardware games.
(NEOGEO Battle Coliseum, 2 King of Fighters games, Metal Slug 6, and Samurai Showdown 6)

FACT 6:
Since this changeover, no other official SNK or NEOGEO games have been released on any other arcade hardware.
(SNK remained exclusive to the Atomiswave)

THEORY
So, therefore, it would seem logical to me to conclude that the Atomiswave was indeed the spiritual successor, and even arguably the ACTUAL successor to the NEOGEO.
(I just don't see any other arcade hardware even coming close)

OK, I will stop here and allow for a few weeks or so to pass while members post their replies and then at that time I will continue the discussion further.
Yes, there is a much higher purpose to this thread and I am merely planting a seed here.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The hyper had about 7 games released in a 2 year span: Beast Busters 2nd, Buriki, Fatal Fury Wild Ambition, Road Edge, Samurai 64, Warriors Rage, Xtreme Rally. The AtomisWave saw 5 games from 2004 to 2012? As for modularity, a lot of systems had that, like st-v, cps2, cps3, etc. SNK probably went to AW because it was the best thing on the market at the time. But they later used the Taito Type X for KoF Sky Stage and KoF 98 Ultimate Match, and then KoF XIII XII, KoF MI Regulation A, and Sam Sho Sen on the X^2- the reason that's significant is that it would be like SNK releasing MotW and LB2 on the CPS3 instead of the MVS. It was as if SNKP didn't care about pushing the limits of their existing hardware anymore (which in fairness they did care about for a few years).

amaradona

Kabuki Klasher
Good point..but the neogeo system was proposed for business (MVS) AND domestic (AES).
Of course MVS was before the AES release but still from 1990 to 2004 we had both devices.

I am still waiting for a domestic version of the atomiswave...especially for playing HNK..

SSS

neo retired
No. The atomiswave is the retarded younger brother of the Naomi. Just the fact that it was a cheap option when SNKP decided to abandon the Neo due to age and piracy doesn't make it the "spiritual successor".

I'd say the IGS PGM has more incommon with the Neo. Including a 4 button layout

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
subsequent discovery

YES!

a few weeks

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, Billy, if you found something, I think you need to tell everyone what that is. We're still playing the waiting game on DavidG's story and I don't think people here really appreciate the "stay tuned" attitude out of you.

The only legitimate reason you wouldn't be able to say what it is is because you don't actually have said item in hand.

Jon

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
As much a spiritual successor to the Neo as the Xbox was to the Dreamcast.

scgon

Benimaru's Hairdresser
10 Year Member
yeah, I don't believe there was a spiritual successor to the Geo.... the company changed too much, their business model changed too much for that to happen. there was just new hardware and sequels to their games.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
I want another demolish fist....but one that doesn't fucking blow.

SSS

neo retired
Typical billy

Now before you answer, there is actually a very important and significant reason why I want to know the answer to this question, and I will get to it eventually later in this thread, but before we all chime in with our answers of yes or no, I would like to present the best evidence which supports the theory that indeed the Atomiswave is the spiritual successor to the neogeo. I then welcome any contrasting points of view, but I ask that those who choose to do so please provide contrary supporting evidence to go along with their opinions in much the same way that I have done below to support it.

OK, I will stop here and allow for a few weeks or so to pass while members post their replies and then at that time I will continue the discussion further.
Yes, there is a much higher purpose to this thread and I am merely planting a seed here.

jerkit.gif

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I'd say that the Neo Geo 64 was to the Neo Geo as the 32X was to the Sega Genesis, a successor that ran at the same time at the original, meant for more powerful games but ultimately never supported properly. The Atomiswave is maybe the Sega Saturn in this analogy? I don't know, I thought I had something there.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
SNKP made an MVS adaptor for Atomiswave.

Still, I don't think you can say that the Atomiswave took over from where the Neo Geo left off. To say it's a successor is a bit of a stretch. I like how SSS described the Atomiswave the best.

Also, I think most people here are pretty much done with this whole "unveiling" bullshit IMO. :hammer:

Last edited:

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
As much a spiritual successor to the Neo as the Xbox was to the Dreamcast.

But the Xbox WAS the successor to the Dreamcast in MANY ways. Specifically that Sega worked with MS on it, and it was originally supposed to play Dreamcast games.

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
I was not aware that SNK made "neogeo series" games on other arcade hardware, such as the modern taito boardset mentioned earlier. That does kill one of my listed facts. (I never really followed SNK after 2004 so that is why I did not know this) So I will concede to that. However, in my defense, those games surely came after the Atomiswave series games correct? Remember, I am not asking what is the "current" arcade hardware supporting neogeo properties, rather proposing that the Atomiswave was the next hardware used. Oh and lastly, yes, what I am referring to here IS already in hand. That part is without question.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
DavidG just found the ONLY copy of AF3 US for ATOMISWAVE that he acquired during his days as a software dev for SNK back in 1995.

pipes

DavidG just found the ONLY copy of AF3 US for ATOMISWAVE that he acquired during his days as a software dev for SNK back in 1995.

LOL!

SG: The whole drama bit is nice and all but to think that there is going to be a serious discussion over this "seed" you planted for the next 2 or 3 weeks is pretty optimistic don't you think? I also highly doubt that anything to do with the Atomiswave is going to blow anybody's mind here unless........DavidG just found the ONLY copy of AF3 US for ATOMISWAVE that he acquired during his days as a software dev for SNK back in 1995.

SSS

neo retired
Fact: the atomiswave was released by Sammy after they took a controlling stake in Sega. It is dumbed down Naomi hardware.

This "poll" is just another "na na na Nahhh naaaa I've got something you guys don't" thread from the forum's resident attention seeker.

He apparently didn't know about new SNKP titles on other hardware, while listing "facts" about the atomiswave. It fucking mentions the Taito x2 on the atomiswave wikipedia page. Great research for your "facts", Billy

Last edited:

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
Typical billy.
jerkit.gif

This.

But hey, at least he didn't start his OP with that ridiculous "gentleman!" Bullshit like he always does.
Shit make him sound like an 8 year old in a tree house holding some "secret meeting" with some of his "friends" (friends being those porcelain snow babies he has been pictured having a collection of) as his court.

Last edited:

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Somebody permaban OP if he doesn't spill his "seed" by 12:00am est tonite.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I can't believe we're going through this kind of shit again.

Them: "I know something none of you do...but you have to wait until the thread reaches 5+ pages so I know enough Neo drama exists."
Us: "Yeah, sure there..."
Them: "Reveal!"
Us: "Neat."
Them: "But there's a catch! There's always a catch! Hahahaha!"
Us: "Fuck this guy."

Just gotta wait it out I guess.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Looks like the seed has been pissed on.

Might as well cough it up, already.

Bit of a stretch, calling your list 'facts'. I mean, anyone that can browse an arcade web shop's page can find SNK(P) titles not only on the platforms mentioned by Charlie & Sensei...but on PGM2 (KOF 98 HERO) and Y2System (KOF '02 UM)

Spiritual successor? Not AW. *Actual* successor? Not any, post 2004. Playmore's post MVS output may as well be called EasyE's kids...more than 1/2 a dozen offspring, by at least 5 different delivery systems.

This topic is hella weak. Needs more TaitoF3, cause you know...carts and Bub & Bob appeared on MVS.

Last edited:

pipes

FACT 7:
Disregard facts 3 to 6 because they are complete bullshit.

FACT 8:
OP should have done a little more homework before planting his seed.

THEORY:
This thread is a waste of time.

Last edited: