Is NES collecting even a realistic option these days?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
*Cringe*

Nothing like looking at 30+ year-old man children still dressing like they're 13 talking about their game collection.

Oh god that Metal Jesus guy is too much. Can't do it. I gotta say though I do enjoy LGR. I started out watching it as a goof, but I watch every video he puts up now.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Collectards immediately switch to hoarding up a fullset for 'next' retro system on the list. They are addicted to spending cash and getting packages in the mail, can't just cold turkey that.

As a recovering collectard you are right about that package rush, I am cheap as fuck though so spending money is never something I liked to do.

That said, I was collecting for a long time before prices got to where they are now, so at least I can play lots of stuff already. Also, Everdrives are pretty awesome.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
So much collecting hate, especially from people who freely admit to collecting. Way I see it, either collect or don't collect, everyone has their own idea of what is a reasonable level of money or time to spend on all this (can we all agree absolutely pointless) shit, just leave people to get on with it.

I enjoy collecting games a lot.

My collecting motives > Trendy youtube/social media influenced, uneducated, undiscerning, clueless motives.

Do I really believe my motives are more justified than the others? Haha no. But I will continue to laugh at and disrespect the overwhelming majority of "retro-game collectors"

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
The collecturd sounds like a collecturd...always making up excuses for not playing their games, always making it sound like it's ok to own games for no purpose other than taking up space. Their excuses always revolve around the live and let live...

...seems weak to me, so weak in fact that I find it irritating when people say I'm a gamer or a collector...I mean we all have been there at some point in our lives, we get into something hard and we just wanna go all out. I did with MVS when I parted with my AES setup, I wanted to have all the games I parted with, all the games I traded, all the games I wanted to have that I never got, then along the way I lost my sense of purpose and got some MVS games with questionable purpose, I could make you a list, I always look at those games with disdain and as a strong reminder never to fuck up again.

The difference between you (collecturd) and I is that I learned my lesson, as I've gotten into many other systems and arcade hardware, I've been very selective, I only have games that I know I want to play, some games I want to play more than others of course but alas I do play my games. Once I wanted to get into RPGs, got some titles and after a while I decided it was a mistake, so I cleaned my stash from all games that are just lame and sold all them RPGs and some other console games that were just not my thing. I've become better at getting current video games thanks to youtube and research, I just don't go blind and buy just because.

The amount of time we dedicate to gaming is becoming more and more precious 'cause is so scarce, as we get older we have more responsibilities and even more hobbies, it's just hard to keep up with it all, so I chose to have nothing but the very best, in other words, a game that appeals to me entirely, maximize on what you love as opposed to maximizing your library.

Now the main thing to me is that if I get a game is because at some point in time I decided to play this game to my highest potential, in some I can be successful, in others not so much but the effort is always there. To me that's where the "fun" is and I feel that makes getting a game worth while even if you don't get to play it as much as you'd like to. I prolly spend way too much time playing over and over the same old games, too much Ninja Gaiden...lol, right now I'm working on a Speed Run for NG2004 no updates. I know it's crazy, I've prolly have beaten that game a gazillion times but I'm happy doing it again and again knowing that I'm not even scratching the surface, that there's room for improvement, that my skill has room to grow.

I'm the same way with SF and some fighting games in general, wish I was a good dedicated shmuper but I'm trying, it's just taking me longer than I'd like to but hey I always suck hard when I start playing something for keeps. It's a long arduous road, it always has been this way for me, rarely do I find a game that just "clicks" and I'm awesome right away, it just takes time, well anyway, drifting off...yeah, I find it funny that people have found another use for a video game other than playing it...

...I guess that's what I like about shock boxes, I love Shinkiro's art, I think everyone does...when I learned about the neo I was just a kid playing at the arcade, I never got to see any art for Neo until later when I got the AES and got Fatal Fury Special and KOF94, that was it (samsho I cover just didn't really captured that shinkiro signature character) just hooked, so anyway, always loved that art. I couldn't just part with the AES and have that art not being part of my life anymore, thank god for Big Bear, he's the man that made it all possible for a bunch of us to edit that art and recreate it as we saw it best. Making inserts and reproducing SNK art for arcades or games was always a great feeling.

So much more to say about the hobby, it just doesn't end...but for some of you it's just looking at a spine...collecturds, you're a disease, you've always have been, not just for video games but for everything in general, just take the joy out of everything, sports, comics, music, you name it!

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
I enjoy collecting games a lot.

My collecting motives > Trendy youtube/social media influenced, uneducated, undiscerning, clueless motives.

Do I really believe my motives are more justified than the others? Haha no. But I will continue to laugh at and disrespect the overwhelming majority of "retro-game collectors"

Please don't tell me you look like Metal Jesus Rocks. Even if you do, don't tell me. I'm too big a fan of your beat em up playthroughs to imagine someone like that destroying Big Fight.

Last edited:

TonK

Least Valuable Player
the only system ive ever collected for is neo geo. i realized how stupid that was back in 2001. i own maybe 20 physical games - half of them are PCB's.

buying shit you will never use is ridiculous.

"oh hey, I have this rare game!"

who fucking cares?

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
EG, it seems you just lump any and all collector's, no matter how big or small, into the farthest extremes of hoarding.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
EG, it seems you just lump any and all collector's, no matter how big or small, into the farthest extremes of hoarding.

Isn't that the fucking end goal anyways, that's the light at the end of the tunnel isn't it? To finally achieve that house full of games.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
NES collecting used to be really awesome because so many of the games were (really still are) plentyful and cheap (not so much anymore.) Never planned on owning the entire library but I have amassed around 600 games for it buying in lots over the years, although it is a system I will cut my library down in the future. I've been trying to grab the few left I want to play but most I bought before the price explosion but there is a few I missed out on (Zombie Nation, Power Blade 2, Cowboy Kid.) I could never do a full set though, not worth it for stadium events and a lot of the unlicensed games are simply not good.

I agree with people buying famicom games, that is really the way to go now. Plus they look way better.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
NES collecting used to be really awesome because so many of the games were (really still are) plentyful and cheap (not so much anymore.)

That's exactly right. It's easy to forget now, but a lot of us were into collecting for older system's because back then it was far cheaper than to buy and play for the current systems. In the PS2 era, when new games didn't immediately drop to half price within a month of release, I was picking up Saturn/Genesis/Sega CD stuff for pennies on the dollar because I couldn't afford to go all in w/ current gen.

This doesn't apply to the Neo of course but it does for just about every other system.
Nowadays it is the opposite and PS4/Xbox One collecting is cheap and easy if you want it.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I don't wanna be associated with the word "gamer" just 'cause I don't want to get mixed with the lot of you collecturds.

Collecturd POV Video Game = Treasure

I treasure video games too, when I got an old cab I restored it, tore it all apart, cleaned it pieced by piece, did it all from tip to bottom, that cab is worth more to me than any other cab out there 'cause I did it, 'cause I know that cab plays great, looks great and it was all done to the best of my abilities, that's the sort of thing I treasure. I can treasure a game too, I will always swear by Ninja Gaiden III NES, I think that as a "gamer" that game changed my life, it made me stronger, I was a better platformer, I was more acute, more dashing, crushed Megaman 9 thanks to NG3NES. I also treasure Megaman 9 and I wish with all my heart that it was 240p or at least 480p but such is life. I treasure Ridge Racer VII, prolly the greatest racing game ever, it just does everything great, 360 reverse curve on the race speedway loop, dude that moment for the first time is a freaking treasure and when you do it online against Europeans it's even more intense, I loved it, the moments with that game, I'm amazed it's not more talked about.

You collecturds treasure things...us people that play their games treasure experiences, that's the difference and you can say I'm being an extremist or that I see everything black and white but it's sad, just word by word it's the plain old unaltered, uncircumcised and unpolished truth...you're part of the problem, all of you here leeching like parasite slugs, infecting the air with your greed and your need...

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Please don't tell me you look like Metal Jesus Rocks. Even if you do, don't tell me. I'm too big a fan of your beat em up playthroughs to imagine someone like that destroying Big Fight.

I don't know who that is.

You're a better belt-scroll warrior than I am.

Did post #53 sound like something some douchebag said before, so now I look like him?!?

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
You sound like a collecturd ASID...stop making up excuses...lol.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I pick up NES cartridges every now-and-then if I can find them for relatively cheap and it's something that I want to play. I've got a modest assortment of carts (66 total), but I don't think I'd want to have the entire library. I mostly play the Mega Man, Castlevania, TMNT (except for the shitty first game), and Contra titles when I do fire my top-loader up.

It is still possible to find NES games for cheap (loose carts that is), but mostly from yard/estate sales, flea markets, and thrift stores, not auction sites or game dealers/collectors.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
OMFG (Not Pedro...Miss you BTW), I just watched a few of this jesusfuckmetal docuhebag...he just...oh man, poor guy...well, looks like he's pretty popular, look at the characters he brings in and their recommends...damn...damn, fucking people like this are what society immediately thinks of us decent folk that play video games...I always wanted to be more associated with Robert Garcia than some wannabe metal fuck...definitely makes true metal look bad too...but that battle was lost long ago, I always thought I was gonna be the last of the Mohicans but I left while the time was good...to be metal now is just covered in a ball of cheese, so much cheese, I guess fuck, this metaldouchejesusfuck fits in just right!

You see what I mean though, that mentality is like an ever growing parasite, it infects everything, I bet he likes DragonForce...not the video game damn it! Well...he prolly likes that too...fucken RPG lover...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
You've found harmony amidst the shades of gray...

...although your romance of extreme passion is only as feverous as your duty to the game, you are in another level, you've always shown it, in the way you play, so clean, so precise, your dedication it's inspiring.

This I tell you, seems only fitting to say so here and now...all of you...Pasky, ASID, all the fierce fighters out there...I'm going to the mountains to train...with CROM, to grow even stronger than before...I will cherish the moments you've given me to remember you by...I will return with the strength of a hundred men, my arrival will dawn upon you!

The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Conan. You must learn its discipline. For no one – no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts…
[Points to sword]
This you can trust...

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
You've found harmony amidst the shades of gray...

...although your romance of extreme passion is only as feverous as your duty to the game, you are in another level, you've always shown it, in the way you play, so clean, so precise, your dedication it's inspiring.

This I tell you, seems only fitting to say so here and now...all of you...Pasky, ASID, all the fierce fighters out there...I'm going to the mountains to train...with CROM, to grow even stronger than before...I will cherish the moments you've given me to remember you by...I will return with the strength of a hundred men, my arrival will dawn upon you!

The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle, Conan. You must learn its discipline. For no one – no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts…
[Points to sword]
This you can trust...

CROM at me bro

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
*Cringe*

Nothing like looking at 30+ year-old man children still dressing like they're 13 talking about their game collection.

iknorite, it's like looking in the mirror. I hate reality checks.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
There is literally no point to having a full-set on any platform. There will always be shit games in any library that just aren't worth owning. Hell even the Neo has some trash.

nug

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Against better judgement I started buying famicom carts here and there. I only have about 15 or so. Mostly just the stuff I'd like to see my kid play, but I know in reality she won't have anything to do with them.
I did the very same thing. Trying to only get games that were japan exclusive, and that don't need the player to be fluent in japanese.

It's tough though, some of the Fami carts have such good artwork!