Is NES collecting even a realistic option these days?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
While I've never played JGP, I do know folks who actually like Success Joe. Does JGP play like stakes winner at all? I fucking love Stakes Winner 2.

Not a bit, you only get one nice animated sequence in the beginning, then you place your bets. Absolutely nothing else to do. There's not enough there to even call it a game. SW2 is a masterpiece in comparison.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Not a bit, you only get one nice animated sequence in the beginning, then you place your bets. Absolutely nothing else to do. There's not enough there to even call it a game. SW2 is a masterpiece in comparison.

Ok..yeah that's collectard shit right there. I think you've crossed the line when you have v liner and the photo booth carts, but I'm gonna add JGP to the list too.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
I'm not sure I get the logic - if there was such a high demand for one type of ammo why would the manufacturers not just have increased the production in the last four years, knowing they could sell it at +50% more and still undercut the resellers, rather than selling inadequate amounts at their original retail prices. I could see this happening for a short period, but not for years. There must be something else going on here.

OBAMA!

Actually it's much more complex than that, there are a lot of factors but this article summarizes it well:
http://dailycaller.com/2014/10/02/ok-really-whats-going-on-with-22-rimfire/

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
OBAMA!

Actually it's much more complex than that, there are a lot of factors but this article summarizes it well:
http://dailycaller.com/2014/10/02/ok-really-whats-going-on-with-22-rimfire/

Really...the situation is pretty simple.

-First off, the rimfire boom started after Obama was elected in 2008. There was a serious run on ammo (stupidity driven), ammo prices shot up, people wanted .22 alternatives, makers began making more 22 "clone" firearms like the S&W M&P 15-22, people began shooting more and more rimfire. The clones were mostly semi auto and require higher quality ammo to run properly.

-Things were going well until 2012, after the Newtown shooting caused another dumb-driven panic. This time, rimfire became a focus. Unlike centerfire, one could back order hundreds of thousands of round in mere minutes. Look at it this way, one 15,000 rd case of Blazer bulk (a choice ammo for semi-auto rimfire) was $150 in Dec of 2012. One could back-order as much as they liked until the big online retailers put a stop to it about 3 weeks after the panic. It was simple to plop $1500 on your CC and literally back-order 150,000. Sites like Brownells, Midway USA, etc reported having years worth of back-orders made in under 1 month. I remember an article written years ago where Midway stated that if they got normal shipments of rimfire in, they literally had 3 years worth of back-orders to fill.

The "quality" issue is apparent in the fact that when you do see rimfire in stores, is shit like Remington Golden bullets...ammo that is such shit that S&W called it out by name as ammo you should never run through their firearms. I have not seen a single 50rd box of Blazer bulk on a store shelf in pushing 4 years...not one. Online grey market however? Plenty to be found everywhere you look...and 2-4x times retail.

This is completely caused by gun owners...it's literally all their fault for being panic driven, greedy fucks. Like any other panic, hype, or gouging driven market of this new age, I just pull out of it. I have enough stored 22 to teach my daughter to shoot. Once I'm done with what I have, if 22 doesn't hit the market, I'll either mothball or sell the firearms before I pay some neckbeard 4x the asking price for ammo.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
ok, so I have 14 NES games from back when. Nowadays I mostly play a flashcart.

I've been wondering: Do I need to replace the battery in the carts that safe? Will the batteries spill if I don't? Can I just remove them and still have functional games (w/o saving of course)? How do you handle it?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
What's the value in that for the viewer? Why would I want to watch someone die every 15 seconds playing Metal Slug in an emulator? Pointless shit.

We should post of a video of me and KidPanda playing 2 player Metal Slug. That shit was frantic (until the cart flaked out on us.)

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
On the subject of collectards, I'm sure at one point I may have mentioned this but I'll just use is it as an example of what I consider to be one.

I had met a fellow in a game shop many years back. I was trading in some nes games and he was talking to me about them while the counter guy was looking everything over. The dude was lusting over on old zelda cart and when the shop didn't offer me much for my stuff I just gave the guy the cart to piss them off.

Well year or two late in another shop I see the guy again while looking at some games. We get to talking about nes and he tells me still has his original nintendo and all of his games from when he was younger, including the legend of zelda. I found that kind of amusing. Anyhow I ask him what he is playing and he tells me that he hasn't played any in several years as they don't work on his tv.

I'm just kind of like.. what the fuck. He never even played that zelda game, just put it in his collection and acts like he had it from day one.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
You should have sold it on flea bay instead of giving the golden goodness to that douche.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I had met a fellow in a game shop many years back. I was trading in some nes games and he was talking to me about them while the counter guy was looking everything over. The dude was lusting over on old zelda cart and when the shop didn't offer me much for my stuff I just gave the guy the cart to piss them off.

Well year or two late in another shop I see the guy again while looking at some games. We get to talking about nes and he tells me still has his original nintendo and all of his games from when he was younger, including the legend of zelda. I found that kind of amusing. Anyhow I ask him what he is playing and he tells me that he hasn't played any in several years as they don't work on his tv.

I'm just kind of like.. what the fuck. He never even played that zelda game, just put it in his collection and acts like he had it from day one.
Same guy?

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member

Ha ha, yes.. thank you. I knew I wasn't crazy and thought I had mentioned that.

Yeah, I really can't figure out that kind of thing. I understand collecting something, but to be able to stand around and talk about games and have opinions on game play and content when you've only watched videos or read about them without actually playing them is just strange.

I've seen it a few times before where I would be talking with someone in the game shop and they would be telling me what they thought about whatever game I was interested in and looking at, and then after listening to them I would ask them some questions. It is amazing how many times someone who would be telling me all about a game had never played it. Not as bad with the old school games as it is with the new ones though. Last time I was out looking at ps4 games I had that happen quite a bit.

Oh this is a really good game, it has great reviews, this guy would say and I would ask, "So you have it." and he would be like no, and then I go, "but you've played it." and again I get a no. Now I admit that is not so much a collector thing there, but here is the point. The people buying up games not playing them and then just talking about them, worse talking about how they would or are going to play them are the real collectards.

I know we all have dreams. Lots of people dream about whatever hobby they have. That's fine and all. But really just sit down and play the game.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
^
It's a symptom of repeatedly hearing the same top 20 games lists being mentioned by users on various forums.
Eventually they become your favorite games as well, whether you have played them or not.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Right now, 10 best NES games for me

1. Ninja Gaiden III US
2. Batman Sunsoft City
3. Castlevania
4. Contra
5. Super Mario Bros.
6. MT Punch-Out!!!
7. Megaman 2
8. Metroid
9. Double Dragon II
10. Life Force

I'm struggling though, I wanna put R.C. Pro-Am and G.I. Joe in there too...

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Right now, 10 best NES games for me

1. Ninja Gaiden III US
2. Batman Sunsoft City
3. Castlevania
4. Contra
5. Super Mario Bros.
6. MT Punch-Out!!!
7. Megaman 2
8. Metroid
9. Double Dragon II
10. Life Force

I'm struggling though, I wanna put R.C. Pro-Am and G.I. Joe in there too...

No track and field?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I love T&F but look at the choices, I dropped a lot of good titles that belong in there...it's tuff!