Is NES collecting even a realistic option these days?

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
ElectricGrave on this thread yesterday:

ElectricGrave in the collections gallery less than 2 hours later:

LOL

Maybe make your own mind up about things before you start telling people how they should think?

In the past I know for fact I was a collectard. I've seen the error of my ways and EG has done the same. Just cause a guy has a wall of mvs doesn't make him a full blown collectard either.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
That is insane. I remember hearing about that one from a friend and not believing it existed as I couldn't find it anywhere (I didn't even have a PSX, I just wanted to see the game.) Hard to believe they gave so much back then, but I remember reading a magazine sometime after that on how rare and expensive they were.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
That is insane. I remember hearing about that one from a friend and not believing it existed as I couldn't find it anywhere (I didn't even have a PSX, I just wanted to see the game.) Hard to believe they gave so much back then, but I remember reading a magazine sometime after that on how rare and expensive they were.

They sold them for $500.00, which is why they never sold...lol

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
ElectricGrave on this thread yesterday:

ElectricGrave in the collections gallery less than 2 hours later:

LOL

Maybe make your own mind up about things before you start telling people how they should think?

...like I said, you got dropped in the head during your infancy...lol...you just love chasing me around, what is it little buddy? Are you lonely? Ha ha, you sound like a turd, making up excuses for your weak ass habits...lol, just another drone, a zero on the left, lol. So much lolling going on!

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Dude. When I got my second collectard wind in 2005 we spent a lot of our free time out buying games. Between console and arcade the three of us had that place fucking crammed full of games.

God I'll never do that again.
lol, I remember that, I said it too, at the beginning with MVS it just went pretty nuts, now looking back I can make you a list of MVS games I do not want, I wanna sell them but the truth is that selling is a PITA, one of these days I'll get around to it though, pass on to someone else that can appreciate them more than I can.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
...like I said, you got dropped in the head during your infancy...lol...you just love chasing me around, what is it little buddy? Are you lonely? Ha ha, you sound like a turd, making up excuses for your weak ass habits...lol, just another drone, a zero on the left, lol. So much lolling going on!

ok

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Why is it impossible to find?

Same reason cheap games are.

You have people that wake up early in the morning on shipment arrival day that clear out a store because they know they can sit on it and sell it at a huge margin. And while some people will just pay the markup because they just want to shoot, others will just complain about resellers for the leeches that they are and not buy it at inflated prices out of principle.

StevenK

10 Year Member
Same reason cheap games are.

You have people that wake up early in the morning on shipment arrival day that clear out a store because they know they can sit on it and sell it at a huge margin. And while some people will just pay the markup because they just want to shoot, others will just complain about resellers for the leeches that they are and not buy it at inflated prices out of principle.

I'm not sure I get the logic - if there was such a high demand for one type of ammo why would the manufacturers not just have increased the production in the last four years, knowing they could sell it at +50% more and still undercut the resellers, rather than selling inadequate amounts at their original retail prices. I could see this happening for a short period, but not for years. There must be something else going on here.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
In the past I know for fact I was a collectard. I've seen the error of my ways and EG has done the same. Just cause a guy has a wall of mvs doesn't make him a full blown collectard either.

But a wall full of NES or any other console games would make him one, right?
Just trying to gauge what is/isn't collectard criteria.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

Massive piles of shit that never get played. Shelf queens, ect. I think those mvs games get played. I think Pandas games get played. Not collectards. Guys like metal Jesus, gamester 81, ect...collectards.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,

Buying a bunch of games, including shit titles, to put on display with no intention of playing them.

madman

Massive piles of shit that never get played. Shelf queens, ect. I think those mvs games get played. I think Pandas games get played. Not collectards. Guys like metal Jesus, gamester 81, ect...collectards.

I was going to start a thread on this, it doesn't happen here, but I hate these collector YouTube knobs who only post on forums to link their videos. They never participate in discussions because they know fuck all about gaming.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor

Fair enough, and I imagine there are also a fair amount of people out there who also play their wall full of NES games.
They are indeed most likely outnumbered by those that do not. But in the end both spectrum's have a game on a shelf and both gamer's and collectard's will increase prices.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I was going to start a thread on this, it doesn't happen here, but I hate these collector YouTube knobs who only post on forums to link their videos. They never participate in discussions because they know fuck all about gaming.

TGsJICR.jpg

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

I've always tried my best to chase them off. Filthyrear knows what's up.

Live free or try hard.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member

It almost seems like they are basing their self worth on their collections. I'm important within the community because of my massive collection that I'm showing off, rather than actually being part of the community or doing anything of value for or in the community.

Honestly, I don't watch most of these guys after maybe a video or two at most. I can't stand that gamster 81 and he seems like a total piece of shit. That metaljebus guy, kind of seems like he would be an okay guy to hang out with and play games with but I'm really not interested in watching him show off whatever new game he bought. Most of the game reviews, commentators or other type pundits seem like they have their heads up their collective asses.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I almost feel bad for them collecturds, that their life has become that, I guess the important thing is that they are happy and stay out of trouble...

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I've said it recently, but the only guys worth watching are the My Life In Gaming duo. They opened my eyes to RGB and answered so many of my questions I had.

madman

It almost seems like they are basing their self worth on their collections. I'm important within the community because of my massive collection that I'm showing off, rather than actually being part of the community or doing anything of value for or in the community.

Honestly, I don't watch most of these guys after maybe a video or two at most. I can't stand that gamster 81 and he seems like a total piece of shit. That metaljebus guy, kind of seems like he would be an okay guy to hang out with and play games with but I'm really not interested in watching him show off whatever new game he bought. Most of the game reviews, commentators or other type pundits seem like they have their heads up their collective asses.
I agree. Metal Jesus actually has good production values and he seems like he's a decent guy, but his forum activity is mainly "how do you feel about X topic" and then it's just him posting a video talking about the topic. He doesn't actually contribute anything to the discussion. It's just "hey, watch my video! Subscribe!" I got banned from a Neo Geo thread on another forum for saying this, but people really just like to post shit for "likes." There's a wank stain who posts videos of himself playing Neo Geo games for the first time without knowing the controls or gameplay. What's the value in that for the viewer? Why would I want to watch someone die every 15 seconds playing Metal Slug in an emulator? Pointless shit. Then you've got dudes like jibbajabba, I had no idea he had a channel or whatever the fuck it's called, and his NHL '94 video was awesome. It contained actual new content and wasn't just him showing off his mint cartz.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor

But they always start our as super friendly, down-to-earth people when introducing themselves - and more importantly their channel!

"Hey guys, love this forum so much blah blah... oh btw I've got an awesome YouTube channel, lot's of rarez games, insightful info on Yuji Naka-san, so head on over, like, subscribe."

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member

Owning a lot of stuff doesn't automatically make one a collector or even collectard in my eyes. If you've been into video games since a long time, it's normal that you will have a lot of games and system laying around.

For me, it's all about the new breed of collectors and the silly retro chic thing. For them, an 8bit video game with its low-res graphics and beepy sounds is more a piece of lifestyle accessory than something that was meant to be played and enjoyed. Some of them have lots of money but not the slightest idea of the real market value of these things so they fall prey to price gougers who sell them common stuff for crazy prices and the hipster folks happily pay it because they badly need some Space Invaders game to go with their hipster t-shirt.

I know a guy who is like that and it drives me nuts. He bought quite a few Master System and MD games over the last two years but you never see him playing them, he keeps them in a glass cabinet together with a couple of 80s action figures as some sort of conversation piece for his "gaming meets" where the same three people sit around for about two or three hours drinking green tea and playing Forza 6 on Xbone. He's one of those people whom you could sell a "rare and boxed, OMG MINT!!" Sonic 1 on MD for 50 bucks... a real shame.

StevenK

10 Year Member

Legend of success Joe? Jockey grandprix? These are not gamers games.

P.s. not a dig at you papierkorb, EG was absolutely right, your collection does look great, nothing wrong with that.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Owning a lot of stuff doesn't automatically make one a collector or even collectard in my eyes. If you've been into video games since a long time, it's normal that you will have a lot of games and system laying around.

That's a very interesting view. Collectors in my understanding are part of the food chain. Their purpose is to preserve items, complete and in the best condition as possible, and ultimately pass them on... for a price, of course. Is, let's say $2000 too much to ask for a game? That depends. Whenever I was going to spend that kind of dough, I didn't go out eating for months, did extra jobs, omitted alc and stored that savings with a monks discipline to finally buy that game. And I thanked the guy I bought it from afterwords, that he actually never played it. Oh, and I never even bothered to buy an Xbox One, a PS3 or 4 etc. Saved more than enough that way.

Collectards are a deranged form of the above. They do play their games, casually, since 2010 on their laggy Framemeister/55'' combo, post about their buying habits all the time & preach words of gaming wisdom like: "Spinmasters? Yeah, nice game. Got to 1cc it sometime..." I had my shares of 1ccs and it took me five years to master NTM. You basically fight against a concept specifically designed to grant the provider as many quarters as possible. This is not Uncharted here or some watered-down HD remake. This consumes time, it has an end and a beginning. If you can't acknowledge these facts, you qualify as a collectard, who's mostly about fashion and the urge of being part of it. I don't mind, there's room enough for everybody in this scene. Still, it's good to know the difference.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Legend of success Joe? Jockey grandprix? These are not gamers games.

P.s. not a dig at you papierkorb, EG was absolutely right, your collection does look great, nothing wrong with that.

While I've never played JGP, I do know folks who actually like Success Joe. Does JGP play like stakes winner at all? I fucking love Stakes Winner 2.