Is NEO GEO the Art of Gaming?

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
There just really isn't a reason to see Neo Geo as art outside of a very personal interpretation because like I said, the point is and always was to make a fun game and sell it.

That's quite a narrow opinion of art you have. Just because it's a game doesn't mean it should not be considered art. Just like a canvas is a way of means to make a painting, so should the game itself be considered a way of means to create art. As to make a profit on it or not should be totally out of the question since some of the most beautiful pieces of art have been made to provide an income to the maker of it.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Check it out you gaiz!
two%20piece%20toilet%202.jpg

This is art too!

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Toilet-in-an-orphanage-e1321540437560.jpg

trough_urinals_ou_2012.jpg

Hundertwasser-Public-Toilets-in-Kawakawa-e1323702401135.jpg

Baja.jpg

Trombone-toilets-e1323688634964.jpg

even a rock that you smash with a hammer
pet rocks were/are too even if they weren't made just the idea...

hahaha! I'm sure they weren't very creative or imaginative at all with the way they decided to pull on the lever but they still had to think(even barely). one thing a non weirdo could see beauty resulting from it in is the wear and polish the lever would get. creeps would enjoy just watching their toil.

Attachments

• toilets.jpg
    toilets.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
really if someones conscious and functioning, even if they are just repeatedly pulling a lever their work is art and whatever they might be stamping out is art because somene thought it up.
hahaha_no_transformers.gif

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
That's quite a narrow opinion of art you have. Just because it's a game doesn't mean it should not be considered art. Just like a canvas is a way of means to make a painting, so should the game itself be considered a way of means to create art. As to make a profit on it or not should be totally out of the question since some of the most beautiful pieces of art have been made to provide an income to the maker of it.

This is true. But I like to think that while I understand how subjective "art" as a concept is, I keep a limit on what I'm willing to consider art and what I'm willing to consider a successful product even if the successful product can be perceived as art. Its big business. Most people working on this game, aside from the artists and writers from some initial stages, are making the game for a paycheck and/or a passion (whether it be work, computing, programming, etc., its likely not artistically motivated) with a very high sense of objectivity. Clocks are ticking, things need to be efficient, code needs to be organized, you get the picture.

This argument is doomed to go nowhere because it is about art. Marcel Duchamp and Andy Warhol are already key players in this argument so there's really no use. I don't vehemently disagree that a great game is art, but my take on it is that its a product first and art to be interpreted later. As intended for the consumer (us).

Bill Kilgore

Sent Rot A Secret Santa.Didn't Get Banned.FOOKIN A
This argument is doomed to go nowhere because it is about art. Marcel Duchamp and Andy Warhol are already key players in this argument so there's really no use. I don't vehemently disagree that a great game is art, but my take on it is that its a product first and art to be interpreted later. As intended for the consumer (us).

This is just me rambling but i gues it all boils down to this:

- There are people who think that art should be considered art if the maker of it intended it to be art.
- And there are people who think that art should be considered art if the public (consumer) sees it as art.

Judging your point of view i would say you are one of the latter. Still i think that if you want to look at art objectively - as hard as it would be because art is indeed rather subjective- you should let the artist decide whether or not it should be considered art. I say this because art will mostly be about expression and deep inner feelings. Who are we to deny the artist these expressions.

If the general public is to stupid to consider it as art, then it should still be considered art because the artist intended it to be art when he is expressing himself with it. When i make a paper airplane, people will think i just made a paper airplane just because i had nothing else to do. However, what if i made it because like a paper airplane i would like to go with the wind and be free. Then it should be considered art. It will be very bad art or stupid art, but it still remains art.

I completely agree with you that this argument is doomed, since i do believe that both groups i mentioned before have valid points. But that didn't stop us from replying now did it. :keke:

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
It's simple, until a video game can solely depend on just the artistic end of it then I'll consider it art but that's never gonna happen, there's too many other factors which aren't artistically inclined whatsoever like code, programing and what have you. If you're just judging by what you're looking at then you don't know what a video game is. Talk about denial, and why would you want to call a video game art anyway? Seems extremely presumptuous to me, fucking get off that cloud people.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
wikipedia is wrong!
A non-ephemeral photograph, film or visual computer program, such as a video game or computer animation- http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Work_of_art

Programming to add interactivity and automated or computer simulation functions to the art- http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artistic_media

no creativity or imagination involved in coding or programming? get this! paintings aren't art either since theres canvas and canvas isn't art. who cares if they end up with something on them, like big deal if games are an interactive audio-visual experience...thats not imaginative or creative at all besides they have plastic and plastic isn't art.

they just let anyone edit those things!

there's too many other factors which aren't artistically inclined whatsoever like code, programing and what have you. Talk about denial

We're not talking about utensils nor media used dumb fuck, coding is more than just a canvas or a tool, it has to be created for it to actually do something with the visuals,.
umm, canvas needs to be created too, so what. actually you were just talking about medium in your last post, the programming is your biggest hangup as to why a game isn't art...doesn't need to be pretty to be art either go read the oxford defintition. anything creative or imaginative, thats really quite broad...literally it really includes any thought that results in any action. even madden games are 'art'. I get that your hangup is that the programmers didn't create the 'art' is a big hangup for you its really not a big deal though. the only analogy I can think of that might be simple enough is that music is still art if you play a cd on a radio(really the radio is art too-cause of all the programming and whatnot that makes it go)or is your hangup that the physical game itself is not art like a cd isn't art its got art on it and the music can come out of it...are cds music? really anything manmade is 'art'. open your mind.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Yeah...your point is so solid...lol. We're not talking about utensils nor media used dumb fuck, coding is more than just a canvas or a tool, it has to be created for it to actually do something with the visuals, but hey just look at the pretty pictures that's all you can see, enjoy your perception of art, have a ball, mind as well let you have your retarded ways.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
It's simple, until a video game can solely depend on just the artistic end of it then I'll consider it art but that's never gonna happen, there's too many other factors which aren't artistically inclined whatsoever like code, programing and what have you. If you're just judging by what you're looking at then you don't know what a video game is. Talk about denial, and why would you want to call a video game art anyway? Seems extremely presumptuous to me, fucking get off that cloud people.

Fully agree. The game's concept art on a sketchpad or canvas is art :)

Edit - Obviously there are digital aspects in the design of the game aesthetics and music composition that are art or artistic as well. But let's say, just because a game may cause the player to experience an emotional response of some kind, it doesn't automatically follow that the game is art.

Last edited:

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
Art also conveys iconic symbolism. Neo Geo is an icon (as someone else said) of 90's gaming. If you are into gaming, you know what an AES is and what it represents, the good and bad, beyond the actual games. Some musicians have iconic albums that represent the times lived then. Athletes exhibit artistry when their skill transcends the game they participate in. Art will forever have an attachment to the observer and his interpretations. To some Neo Geo is just a game. Others may see more than that. Seeing all these toilets make me want to take a shit doe.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Art also conveys iconic symbolism. Neo Geo is an icon (as someone else said) of 90's gaming. If you are into gaming, you know what an AES is and what it represents, the good and bad, beyond the actual games. Some musicians have iconic albums that represent the times lived then. Athletes exhibit artistry when their skill transcends the game they participate in. Art will forever have an attachment to the observer and his interpretations. To some Neo Geo is just a game. Others may see more than that. Seeing all these toilets make me want to take a shit doe.
The Neo Geo represents late 80's/early 90s gaming, with hand-drawn 2D graphics and big sprites. A lot of the arcade systems of that era had similar specs, like a 16-bit 68000 CPU and a lot of sprite power. About the mid-90s, 3D graphics started to make an impact in the arcades (and at home in the form of the Playstation), so that started a new era. After that, video game magazines were only in interested in writing about 3D games after that (even if a lot of video game fans still preferred 2D graphics). Sometimes it helps, if you're trying to make good art, to purposely restrict the mediums or techniques you can use. So if programmers make a 2D game these days, perhaps that's what they're doing. At least, that was true of the Metal Slug series. To do a 2D platform run and gun in 1996, and make it graphically amazing and popular in the arcades, you had to really know what you were doing.

Video games are like music and movies, in that they can create icons (like Mario and Sonic, for example). It's just that they are not as mainstream as music and movies, so it's harder for them to achieve that. As far as creating real art by transcending the medium, a couple of examples are Shigeru Miyamoto and Sid Meier.

Last edited:

moreorless

n00b
The Neo Geo represents late 80's/early 90s gaming, with hand-drawn 2D graphics and big sprites. A lot of the arcade systems of that era had similar specs, like a 16-bit 68000 CPU and a lot of sprite power. About the mid-90s, 3D graphics started to make an impact in the arcades (and at home in the form of the Playstation), so that started a new era. After that, video game magazines were only in interested in writing about 3D games after that (even if a lot of video game fans still preferred 2D graphics). Sometimes it helps, if you're trying to make good art, to purposely restrict the mediums or techniques you can use. So if programmers make a 2D game these days, perhaps that's what they're doing. At least, that was true of the Metal Slug series. To do a 2D platform run and gun in 1996, and make it graphically amazing and popular in the arcades, you had to really know what you were doing.

Video games are like music and movies, in that they can create icons (like Mario and Sonic, for example). It's just that they are not as mainstream as music and movies, so it's harder for them to achieve that. As far as creating real art by transcending the medium, a couple of examples are Shigeru Miyamoto and Sid Meier.

I would say its really more the mid 90's where the Neo Geo system becomes more significant because exactly as you say it becomes much more unique keeping a focus on 2D sprite based gaming when most of the industry was moving 3D. They were totally alone of course as Capcom and a few others carried on as well but they were definitely in the minority and one of the biggest players in it.

Whilst obviously the kinds of games created in this era didn't represent the way things could go in the future I would argue that they did in terms of graphics and atmosphere. The reality is that until at least the early 00's 3D polygon based gaming was quite limited visually, you look back on the stuff that had people moving away from sprites and "what were we thinking?" does come to mind. In terms of having games that had real visual flare I think you could argue that the Neo Geo system in the mid 90's was at the forefront.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
is Neo Geo art or is art Neo Geo? now that is some deep shit to thing about while hitting the bong.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
is Neo Geo art or is art Neo Geo? now that is some deep shit to thing about while hitting the bong.
It depends on how you define art. Neo Geo games are not necessarily art, even though they contain art, in the form of hand-drawn graphics, etc.