Is NEO GEO the Art of Gaming?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Things like comics and cards are physical tangible items. With the neo this is also true but there is the added benefit that you can plug them into a machine and play them.
Unless you collect for the AES, in which case actually playing the games is considered taboo.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
Game art and manuals aren't actual games.

Of course you wouldn't know the difference though.

i was saying the graphics in the game is a way of art. as well as the game insert/box art and some manuals that include character art in the manual.

no, sorry i dont know the difference :)

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Neo Geo was and always will be a luxury item. Just like You name it. Not for the feint of $

Just like famous art heists, there have been frauds, controversies, forgeries and reproductions in the Neo

Is Neo collecting like fine art?

Vidya gamez are made by PROGRAMMERS.

Game art and manuals aren't actual games.

is any collecting (the act of collecting itself) like art? No, well maybe if you did parkour or something on the way to the post office and tape it when you have to pick something up?
are the inserts/manuals part of a game according to a collector? do they have art on those parts and in the games? obviously yes'.
are the pcbs shells and labels 'art'... I don't know but people have their own preferences regarding which type they want, if they are motivated only by price it doesn't lean toward art but if they want an mvs that looks used because it makes them feel a connection to its wear maybe moreso(this is what us poor folk tell urselves when we can't get them mint aes-''I like the toning'')?

are programmers artists though-creating anything regardless of its beauty...

http://www.google.com/search?client...601+US&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&q=art of bricklaying

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Oh wait, yeah I know...everything is art! Dumb motherfuckers, this is why I should have mod powers and start banning presumptuous bitches. Burn the place, only the true and pure will survive!

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I can see how someone can view a video game as a "work of art", or "art" itself, but the reality of the situation is that they use artwork and artistic talent (literal or visual) to make you think just that so you will be enticed by the game-- and most importantly-- buy it and recognize it dearly enough to contribute to the consequential fan base which spurs more purchases.

People like pretty things and video game companies know this to the core.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
LOL, this again? Give a definition of what makes something a piece of art and then try to find arguments why (Neo Geo) games should be considered art. Hint: Exclusivity, Rarity, Price, Drama are not good criteria.

Btw. surely enough (Neo Geo) Games are products of the culture industry and therefore you will have a hard time... go read some Adorno/Horkheimer.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I think some people are getting the word Art confused with a drawing or a picture. There is more to art than that. In my opinion a great movie can be a piece of art, so a great video game can be also. It doesn't even have to do with how pretty the sprites are, although this is obviously another aspect that can be considered art.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
There's more than just art to a video game so no it isn't art. Now if you wanna praise the artwork involved in a video game then by all means praise it but don't be fooled, programming isn't an art. If that was the case then algebra and calculus classes would be considered an art classes as well.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Game art and manuals are PACKAGING. Its materials used to catch your eye to get you to buy something.

If that's considered "art," then buy a package of toothpaste, frame it, and put it on your wall as "art."

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
First off, the Neo is a Ferrari of classic systems...in many ways its the Ferrari of any gaming system. There may be rarer out there, but not rare and quality like the Neo. Rarity does not always denote quality..as a matter of fact, it rarely does. Normally a system is scare because it sucks.

Second...games are art...functional artwork. A masterpiece like Metal Slug not visually artistic? Really? Assholes that will say game based drawing is not artwork are like the jerkoffs claiming digital music isn't music because it doesn't involve a physical instrument.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
I was going to start thread on that. What would cause a crash, seriously? IMO when the day comes when there is a perfect multicart of every NEO release with no scaling or playability issues, that will be the start of the crash. The other side of the coin would be OG prices will go up because of those who want to play the real thing and not a warez cart.
Maybe if Krikzz will ever get around to making a Neo Everdrive...

Hehe people don't pay $1000s of dollars on an AES game to play them silly goose:keke:

godzilla43

Geese's Thug
I dont see neo geo as art. It was always collectible because it is/was only high end no compromise video game system for true fans.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I dont see neo geo as art. It was always collectible because it is/was only high end no compromise video game system for true fans.

No compromise?

That's a bit of a stretch...I'd say you compromise quite a bit with the Neo...unless you like an ocean of one on one fighters with a few scattered shooters and even fewer platform titles mixed in...

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I'm aware of Andy Warhol and (more importantly) Marcel Duchamp but they aren't convincing arguments for Neo Geo games being considered "art". Culturally, Andy Warhol may be an artist, but in my opinion he's an exploitative opportunist using art as a vehicle to manipulate perceived beauty. Is that artistic? Yes. But I wouldn't call it art just because he and his suckers do. Duchamp was an envelope-pusher, and he did the things he did to raise these questions, but he did not intend to make us view every single product we like as art just because we find it beautiful. There just really isn't a reason to see Neo Geo as art outside of a very personal interpretation because like I said, the point is and always was to make a fun game and sell it.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Announcer- "Sylvie, the question is...Are video games considered art."

Sylvie- "I'm aware of Andy Warhol and (more importantly) Marcel Duchamp but they aren't convincing arguments for Neo Geo games being considered "art". Culturally, Andy Warhol may be an artist, but in my opinion he's an exploitative opportunist using art as a vehicle to manipulate perceived beauty. Is that artistic? Yes. But I wouldn't call it art just because he and his suckers do. Duchamp was an envelope-pusher, and he did the things he did to raise these questions, but he did not intend to make us view every single product we like as art just because we find it beautiful.

Announcer- "Umm....well..."

Sylvie- *Interrupts* "There just really isn't a reason to see Neo Geo as art outside of a very personal interpretation because like I said, the point is and always was to make a fun game and sell it."

Me- "Well...I think I'm going to have to disagree with Sylvie...I do believe video games can be considered art. Music, movies, pictures, paintings, writings...all are considered art and many are made for enjoyment and/or selling"

Announcer- "Yes, Smokehouse, you are correct, video games are considered art. Circle gets the square."

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
art?

Works produced by human creative skill and imagination

so yeah maybe you could say the modern rehashes of cowadoody and such don't qualify because there is no creativity or imagination involved but which neo games lacked both or even either?

600px-Escher%27s_Reptiles.jpg

print-gallery.jpg!Blog.jpg

mandelbrot-automatic-art.jpg

does math become art when it is used to create it? does it necessarily become science because its been proven or does the person who came up with it still deserve credit thusly making math art?:scratch:

to discount ads and packaging or anything that's goal is to get your money (movies for instance) as not art simply for that reason is silliness.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Oh man, I guess people must be dense. Yes there is plenty of art in a video game that still doesn't make a video game a piece of art, there's just too many components in between, a video game is more than just art, period. God damn, how can you guys be so gone? Why do you choose to ignore the strings that make the art move is beyond me but hey whatever, call it art and live with your ignorance.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Art is subjective, we each have our definitions and interpretations of what is and isn't considered art.

Mathematics and arts go hand in hand though. Painters and sculptors visualize shapes and size when they paint/sculpt and that's geometry. There would be no art without mathematics.

Coding itself is an art, putting all those strings of programming language into something people can enjoy, I think that is an art in itself. Not everyone can code and not everyone can code good.

Then again we can argue that art is supposed to be work and expression of one artist, video games are many people working together for an end product and usually the goal of the product is $. So I can see how you feel it's not art.

But we could compare it to architecture.

An architect, draws out a vision, makes a plan then foresees the workers building it. Of course this is on a different scale, but shit is comparable, the end product is made for profits but its also art to design and build a building. Different type of workers come together to bring the vision to life. Some architects express themselves with unique designs others just copy and paste whatever else has been done before.

So how can video games not be considered art ? A group of people pool in their talents and efforts into bringing a vision to life.

I feel that video games are works of art, but not all the works can be considered good.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
autonomy, aura, aesthetic experience... just throwing those out there.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
beauty is subjective art is defined http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/art pretty much anything made by man is art just because you don't think of someones work as art doesn't mean that it isn't. really if someones conscious and functioning, even if they are just repeatedly pulling a lever their work is art and whatever they might be stamping out is art because somene thought it up.

C153HPE.jpg

is a piano not art because its got strings and roller feet?

a bag of chips is also more than just art and is hardly appreciated as such, just the same though..
images

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
Me- "Well...I think I'm going to have to disagree with Sylvie...I do believe video games can be considered art. Music, movies, pictures, paintings, writings...all are considered art and many are made for enjoyment and/or selling"

Announcer- "Yes, Smokehouse, you are correct, video games are considered art. Circle gets the square."

that is not an appropriate argument. please try again