Is AES collecting even a realistic option these days?

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
We are all old cheap fuckers now!!! Now suck 8-mans dick for some scraps!!! Do it for a Pulstar at least.... anybody want a KOF 2000 US?!?!?

bravojohny

Armored Scrum Object
We are all old cheap fuckers now!!! Now suck 8-mans dick for some scraps!!! Do it for a Pulstar at least.... anybody want a KOF 2000 US?!?!?

Looking for a nice KOF 2003 AES cart to complete my KOF (AES) collection.

I think the authentication service suits well those ultra rare AES games.

NeoGeoFanatic

Neo Geo Cup '98
Prices are very high now but you can still get some games like Art of Fighting, or Fatal Fury at a low price if you are starting out. Or even unboxed AES carts are a lot cheaper. Then maybe get the more expensive AES games on MVS and use a convertor. Then when you've figured out which of these games mean the most to you, save up and buy one every now and again. This is what I do. It's enjoyable, I never intend to get every AES game and I play on all of my games.

I think if you're an arse about it and have to have every AES game in mint condition un-played on your shelf then it's not worth it and won't be much fun. Over the years I have seen a lot of (wealthy) people with complete collections, who end up selling them off after less than a year. If you work and spend time to get your collection it means more and you can still get bargains even on Ebay if you put in the time looking. Only buy a game you want to play.

I completely agree. I have started my collection with few of the cheaper titles that I enjoy playing and I will save for a few of the more expensive titles I would like to own as well.

Like you, I enjoy collecting and playing these games and I have no intention on collecting every AES game.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
...I have no intention on collecting every AES game.

Even more so, as Neo' library tends to offer many reruns for its best franchises: you can own just one out of the ten KoF games and be completely satisfied. To gather a sought out collection is a great game in its own right, especially on the Neo-Geo, due to the limited number of titles to begin with. That said, enjoy both the playing & the collecting ;).

ghibben

Zero's Secretary
I only have an AES now and all my games are either loose or came in poor condition cases. Then I just replace them with shocks and inserts from Southtown, so they look good on the shelf. Still miss my Mark of the Wolves cart though.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Even more so, as Neo' library tends to offer many reruns for its best franchises: you can own just one out of the ten KoF games and be completely satisfied. To gather a sought out collection is a great game in its own right, especially on the Neo-Geo, due to the limited number of titles to begin with. That said, enjoy both the playing & the collecting ;).

yup exactly, if you have FFS you dont really need any of the others. The only franchise that evolves that much is Samurai Shodown although if you got sam sho 2 and 4 youd be set. Too bad every metal slug on the AES is insanely expensive, ah well... first world problems.

mahesak

Morden's Lackey
It's late for new comer who want to collect AES complete if you don't have much $$$ to pay. MVS is best choice to collect single titles complete more than AES. Otherwise you can choose to collect some AES if you feel good such as KOF, Garou, Samurai series.

But if you don't buy today, the price will increase continues in the future. The problem is ... You must be sure that cart is legit if you want to buy high price AES titles.

Cg591

Rugal's Thug
Overall MVS is the way to go.
I started collecting NG back in 2009 or so and I have always wanted a MVS but I live in a condo so it's a no go.
When I buy a house I will certainly get a MVS.
Any suggestions?
There's a guy selling a 6 slot beast locally but don't those have problems? I know the jp candy cabs are considered the best correct?
So many more games to chose from on MVS as well.
Annnnnd yeah if you have multiple copies of high dollar AES carts... you are a glutton.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
Annnnnd yeah if you have multiple copies of high dollar AES carts... you are a glutton.

image.php

K1ngArth3r

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Collecting AES can be very rewarding, even with the high prices. The only thing that kills it (like many have said) are the fakes :(

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Collecting AES can be very rewarding, even with the high prices. The only thing that kills it (like many have said) are the fakes :(

What's the reward of paying $1,500 for Metal Slug 4?

K1ngArth3r

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
What's the reward of paying $1,500 for Metal Slug 4?

Air Miles :D (JK)

But what I meant was finding a game when you've been searching for it for a long time! As most of the one's I seem to look for hardly appear for sale.

Regarding the Metal Slug 4, I think all of his auctions went for bonkers prices didn't they? I glad I got mine a while ago much cheaper :)

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Overall MVS is the way to go.
I started collecting NG back in 2009 or so and I have always wanted a MVS but I live in a condo so it's a no go.
When I buy a house I will certainly get a MVS.
Any suggestions?
CMVS. You're not a noob, Greeneye8181.