Is AES collecting even a realistic option these days?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Not that it ever was cheap. I'm just asking for various reasons.

I was bored today at work, and decided to check some AES prices, for the first time in many years. The good games are ridiculous in price. I mean they always were before, but now. Wow! Almost everything good is a grand drop easy.

Not only that, I noticed a lot of the rare games, like Magical Drop III, Pulstar, Waku Waku 7, TWS, Slugs, etc... are either not even on eBay, or are outrageously priced compared to last sales, and priced jacked big time.

So I'm curious, to someone with a ton of expendable income, who could afford all the great games, are they even obtainable for fair prices these days? And by fair, I mean obtainable without just paying whatever the one copy that is price jacked on ebay is going for. Or are you at the mercy of the French, and Japanese sellers who are trying to sell the games for double what they are worth?

It looks to me, that even if you had an extra 20-30 grand lying around, the rare games are so scarce, it would take a lifetime to obtain them all for fair prices, if you ever found them.

I see people here, and on other forums and such getting onto AES all the time, and I'm like "no, don't do it, just spend more on a MVS setup, one slug purchase will pay for the cost of that extra cost you pay for that MVS setup, and you can play arcade games". But people seem to refuse to listen to an old Neo collector, and are adamant on having collections full of stuff like 3 count bout, fatal fury, art of fighting 1,2 etc.. when they could sell all that stuff and likely buy almost every good MVS game they want.

I also noticed AES sales in the forums are scarce, at least for uncommon and up titles. Have the collectors pretty much collected up all the good titles at this point? Is that why they are gone? People are just holding on to them until they die?

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
No.

Not even trolling.

#justfacts

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Unless you have an endless supply of money then you'd be crazy to be trying to collect all the big games, it would cost more than most people's yearly salary!

I wouldn't say that means that AES collecting is completely out of the question though. I still enjoy collecting AES games, and just buy games as I can afford them. I know I will never own the expensive games, but I have a CMVS for those, so I have the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

bravojohny

Armored Scrum Object
From one day to another just in case you have in your pocket a lottery winning ticket.

Otherwise, stick to the games you enjoy the most and buy the ones you really want to play. It's a hardwork sometimes to find a good deal, and from what I see many more collectors are holding their games. Some were really hard to find and if you let it go you know you might not have it back again. People think twice before going to a sale Good deals are scarce but it's just like a board that turns faulty, you never no when it gonna happen, and when it occurs there might be someone before you closing the deal.

It's what it is. AES carts are limited and seek is high. We just have to deal with it. Beware bootlegs.

Last edited:

RumbleBumble

Rugal's Thug
For someone like me just starting out, it's a nightmare.

- It's expensive.

- You're inexperienced so don't know who's safe to buy from.

- And you can't post wanted ads in the forum until you're a known quantity.

It won't stop me personally but it all makes it very hard.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
If you're shitting money, it's all dandy.

Or you could be REALLY patient and wait for amazing deals on usually-expensive games at prices so good it wouldn't even really matter if the game was a fake or not. That's not an easy path to go. Very rewarding though.

I say this as an AES only guy who's not shitting money. :)

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Let the n00b dumbasses (o_O) start buying AES games. With any luck, they'll price each other right out of this fucking hobby.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I pretty much stopped buying Aes games. All the games that I would like to purchase are pretty much all over $800 and that's not happening. So unless some amazing deal comes along I think Im pretty much done with buying aes games. Plus most of the games that I want I already have on Mvs.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
I'm done buying AES games. I would love to get Big Tournament Golf, Pulstar and Blazing Star but the prices are so high now that I have to give up and be happy with my MVS versions. The market is now flooded with fakes and conversions. You really don't know what you're going to get anymore. We're at a point that everyone is hoarding, therefore very few high-demand carts are available for sale. The ones that are selling are price-gouging because they can. It's a seller's market for reals.

MVS collecting is a realistic alternative, but to a point. More games are available and at more affordable prices but affordability is relative only to their AES counterparts. Eventually one will run into the same problem of scarcity and high prices like Pulstar, SSVS, Last Resort, etc.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I hate to say this but if someone really wants to get into AES and pay less money, and person doesn't want to get into MVS or CD, conversion may be another options. It's still cheaper than AES counterpart.
Fuck it, it is just a video game and as long as it plays, why people care so much these days?

Just my 2 cents.

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
AES is a great option for a lot of early games and certain others where the prices are at or below MVS levels. Believe it or not there are quite a few titles that fall into this category if you are interested in playing those games. CD is a great option for certain pricey carts such as BTG, Pulstar and Metal Slug 1 and 2. MVS for the rest.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Lots of nice games are still affordable as homecarts. Magician Lord, NAM, most KoF, Samurai Shodowns (1 and 2 at least), Fatal Fury Special, Art of Fighting 1 and 2. It' s not possible if you want the slugs, pulstar, blazing star, etc.

Regards.

bravojohny

Armored Scrum Object
Lots of nice games are still affordable as homecarts. Magician Lord, NAM, most KoF, Samurai Shodowns (1 and 2 at least), Fatal Fury Special, Art of Fighting 1 and 2. It' s not possible if you want the slugs, pulstar, blazing star, etc.

Regards.

King of Monsters.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Ok, so they are getting scarce. I'm glad I quit aes and went full blown MVS years ago. I could not see trying to collect aes unless I was a doctor, or Lil Wayne. I think if I scrimped and saved, I could probably buy one high dollar game a year. Like over a grand.

What are the options for converters these days to play MVS on an aes? I know thee was the daedalus, but isn't that hard to find now? Or is it just own an MVS, and aes setup?

glazball

Pleasure Goal
10 Year Member
I think you answered your own questions in your OP greedostick. Someone who buys an AES cart is going to simply hold onto it most likely. Besides, collecting AES has never really been "realistic" either bitd or now unless you had/have plenty of money.

As someone who isn't rich but loves his modest AES collection, there are still a few out of my reach that I would love to own/play. It pisses me off to read about people who hoarded carts like Sengoku 3 to inflate the value and scarcity. Just shitty...

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
This auction describes everything wrong with home cart collecting in 2016:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samurai-Sho...551535?hash=item33af30edef:g:r9gAAOSwX~dWha1Z

Tintin-HA_HA_HA_OH_WOW.jpg

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
jap mvs carts and neo cd is the the way to go for cost efficient neo collecting. or even better if you don't mind playing games on non neo hardware, you could just buy neo ports for other consoles. i mean almost every neo game has been ported to the ps2 in some anthology form or another.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
jap mvs carts and neo cd is the the way to go for cost efficient neo collecting. or even better if you don't mind playing games on non neo hardware, you could just buy neo ports for other consoles. i mean almost every neo game has been ported to the ps2 in some anthology form or another.

If you don't mind playing on non-neo hardware, you may as well use MAME.