Is AES collecting even a realistic option these days?

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
jap mvs carts and neo cd is the the way to go for cost efficient neo collecting. or even better if you don't mind playing games on non neo hardware, you could just buy neo ports for other consoles. i mean almost every neo game has been ported to the ps2 in some anthology form or another.

I've owned those neo ports on different platforms and still feel not right.............

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
The most damning thing was SSVSP. That game should have been produced in bigger quantities, the MVS price is insane. I was bitter for a very long time about that before I got my copy last year. You could tell me I own it, and I'd say "I don't believe you" It really is to that level. I am a few games shy of owning every fighter on the neo-geo mvs. I have like under 40 home carts, well over 100 neo-geo games total on all three platforms.. (I don't own a hyper neo) and I'm likely to keep going with it in the future, but ultimately, home releases are just to fucking expensive to justify. Once it climbs over 369$, it's not happening for me.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
The most damning thing was SSVSP. That game should have been produced in bigger quantities, the MVS price is insane. I was bitter for a very long time about that before I got my copy last year. You could tell me I own it, and I'd say "I don't believe you" It really is to that level. I am a few games shy of owning every fighter on the neo-geo mvs. I have like under 40 home carts, well over 100 neo-geo games total on all three platforms.. (I don't own a hyper neo) and I'm likely to keep going with it in the future, but ultimately, home releases are just to fucking expensive to justify. Once it climbs over 369$, it's not happening for me.

Ya for SSV special your basically fucked for either format, really emulation is the only to play it (and see the fatalities) unless your willing to drop a mortgage payment on it. SSV special came out in 2004, i doubt there were very many arcades left to pick it up. The AES version costed like $350 when it first came out, and unless someone is very hardcore into the neo geo i doubt many people were lining up to pay that. I mean you could pick up a PS2 and San Andreas for less at the time. Sure be interesting to know how many AES copies some of these later neo games actually sold.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
If I like the game, I'll pay for it.

But the relevant question is, will I be able to find it? Will it be real?

DaytimeDreamer

Southern Pounce.,
If I like the game, I'll pay for it.

But the relevant question is, will I be able to find it? Will it be real?

This. Let's say you put some money aside each month and at the end of the year you have 1500-2000 and you just go "fuck it, I'll get that damned SSVS Unfixed" How do you know where to buy it from and it being the real deal? That's it if you find it.

Stuff with the AES is getting out of hand. Next thing you know SSII will skyrocket in price.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
Once it climbs over 369$, it's not happening for me.

[video]http://slack-time.com/music-video-815-lil-jon-get-low[/video]
...I wonder if LWK was making 'this reference' on purpose cuz he wants prices to drop?:loco:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
If you don't mind playing on non-neo hardware, you may as well use MAME.

i agree. mame is probably the most convenient of all options, but not so much for collectors. the ports of neo games on other consoles is a very cost efficient way of owning physical copys for collection proposes.

I've owned those neo ports on different platforms and still feel not right.............

i don't know dude. nothing beats the originals,but i loved my saturn ports of the neo games as well as dreamcast and ps2 ports with a good fighting stick. but i certainly wouldn't give up my mvs for those ports.

Last edited:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Karou, that seemed to be the magic number. I think I got my KOF 2000 around 369$+ from jpvg back in the day.

mahesak

Morden's Lackey
This auction describes everything wrong with home cart collecting in 2016:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samurai-Sho...551535?hash=item33af30edef:g:r9gAAOSwX~dWha1Z

r20.gif

WTF!!! I just see SSVSP made from NCI first time. This game is very high MEG so NCI can make every titles AES released. It's very hard to believe that AES in the market is real original nowadays.

For me, I start collect since 2000 so the price is not insane like the present. If you want to join AES collecting now, you must dare to pay very high $ for rare titles. The market price is overprice.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
This. Let's say you put some money aside each month and at the end of the year you have 1500-2000 and you just go "fuck it, I'll get that damned SSVS Unfixed" How do you know where to buy it from and it being the real deal? That's it if you find it.

Stuff with the AES is getting out of hand. Next thing you know SSII will skyrocket in price.

Ya thats definitely the problem, with AES stuff if you find a good something for a good price you need to jump on it which isnt always thing financially. I remember Sengoku 3 selling in 5 mins in the marketplace, and thats not a cheap cart by any means. If you save your money and buy at your convenience youll end up paying much more then just saying "fuck it" and throw it on the Credit card.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Dammit, this thread got me thinking. I do miss my old aes stuff, but it's ridiculous. One of my main Neo geo issues right now, is that I have this amazing MVS setup. Got a Xian Xi gun, a 2 slot that doesn't need a battery too. But I have no room, so it sits in my closet, covered up so it doesn't get dust on it. I see the CMVS, people seem to love them. I'm not sure why I even own a supergun, I hate buying jamma boards anymore, they always break. The only reason I justified a supergun purchase, was that I sold my cab, again due to space issues, and thought a gun would be a good alternative, because I thought I would eventually pick up fist of the North star. Don't know if I can justify keeping a supergun for one non Neo geo game, or an omega, since I could get an aes, and converter for about the same cost.

How does that key converter perform? Would there be any reason to consider spending more on a Daedalus? Like maybe multi cart compatibility, or better performance?

Looking at my MVS collection of just around 30 games, I consider myself almost done, and can even trim a few. Some of this MVS crap as you all said, are approaching, or more than aes prices. I could dump a lot of my MVS Commons and get some good aes Commons like magician Lord, Sam sho 2, maybe even splurge just a small amount and get a last blade aes. It's tough decisions..

Also, samurai spirits zero is ridiculous. I sold mine on ebay over a year ago for $1275.00. Maybe a mistake. I assume it's worth more now.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Also, samurai spirits zero is ridiculous. I sold mine on ebay over a year ago for $1275.00. Maybe a mistake. I assume it's worth more now.

If you didn't play it, why was it a mistake to sell it? To hold onto it for more value? If your game playing is based on cart value then you should only own Stadium Events for the NES. Sealed.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
If you didn't play it, why was it a mistake to sell it? To hold onto it for more value? If your game playing is based on cart value then you should only own Stadium Events for the NES. Sealed.

Don't know where you got that from. I actually played it at least a few times a month. The only games I played more over the years were magical drop 3, Last Blade, and Sam sho 2 and 3. I actually really liked the game a lot, and was bummed I sold it, but I had issues with financial aid for school coming through on time, and sold it to help pay tuition so I didn't get set back a whole semester.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
Get a MVS and DIY supergun.

Enjoy the games

NucaCola

Rugal's Thug
I gave up on collecting most AES carts with how crazy expensive they are. As a college student, I've got better things to spend my money on then $1000 on one cart.
I just got a MVS to AES converter and a 161 in 1 multicart. So I'm happy with that.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Most games do.

Fixed for more accuracy, since emulation, pure digital or analog via everdrives & multis, became the real thing within the boundaries of technical progression. Not to mention its insatiable benefits like save states, english patches, enhanced audio/visual features, easy capturing, near endless flexibility of playing wherever you want, with whatever you want... which of course is evolution. It's fun joining the nostalgia resistance from time to time, but only if you accept it for what it is: a sham for the sake of appearance.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Fixed for more accuracy, since emulation, pure digital or analog via everdrives & multis, became the real thing within the boundaries of technical progression. Not to mention its insatiable benefits like save states, english patches, enhanced audio/visual features, easy capturing, near endless flexibility of playing wherever you want, with whatever you want... which of course is evolution. It's fun joining the nostalgia resistance from time to time, but only if you accept it for what it is: a sham for the sake of appearance.

You realize you don't speak for everyone? I can't decide if you're a troll or a pompous pseudointellectual Karou with access to a thesaurus.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
You realized it, too? Thanks. And by the way, I'm just joe8's Paper Street House account, so plz... stop quoting me all over the place, you're circumventing the ignore feature of other members.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
AES isn't worth trying to go for at all due to boots, outrageously inflated prices and general lack of anyone selling anything.

Even in 10 more years MVS wont be a viable option. I'm a cd collector myself and I have to say even cd is getting stupid. You can find a lot of games on the forums for reasonable prices but they're all the commons. Everything that's rarer has fallen into the hand of horders and reseller. Like when Metal slug on CD is going for $200 with a spine card you have to wonder wtf the point of the cd at all is anymore.

MVS is really the only option left and who knows for how long.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
CD prices are a weird thing. On the one hand, I keep seeing people list them for stupid money. On the other hand, I never see anyone buying anything. Even on this Neo specific forum very few people actively collect for the CD these days. I'm always buying on CD, but rarely see anything for sale I'm interested in. Other than a copy of the Last Blade I got a few weeks ago I don't think I've bought any CDs in a couple of years.