Is AES collecting even a realistic option these days?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I wonder, how much my loose Conker with cat piss on it and a bad label is worth?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Totally agree, all this 'value' is just air and probably very temporary.

I tend to disagree... Zegers "Extreme Collectors" series proves that toys & memorabilia are perfectly healthy, in many cases even a century after their release. Video games fit both categories and seeing the digital revolution, with electronica flooding your everyday life on the whole and electronic entertainment being an assertive part of it, well, they won't lack on popularity evermore. Bet people laughed at collecting Black Americana, too. Video games will make the same transition, from toy to pop-art in a quarter of a century.

Who ever said that a Brillo Box was just about soap pads?

tumblr_lz4kujhGJp1qbo39mo1_500.jpg

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I wonder, how much my loose Conker with cat piss on it and a bad label is worth?

Do you a straight swap for my spare of alien soldier gohan, give it a spray with some deoderant first though.

Dominance9

Pleasure Goal
I tend to disagree... Zegers "Extreme Collectors" series proves that toys & memorabilia are perfectly healthy, in many cases even a century after their release. Video games fit both categories and seeing the digital revolution, with electronica flooding your everyday life on the whole and electronic entertainment being an assertive part of it, well, they won't lack on popularity evermore. Bet people laughed at collecting Black Americana, too. Video games will make the same transition, from toy to pop-art in a quarter of a century.

I agree. Thats were video games may shine through and stay high in value. They are actually serve a purpose or a function. Its not just a piece of paper or some random collectible, you can play it and enjoy it too.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
The point is, wether we want it or not, it's already part of pop-cultural history. Known for its capitalistic throw-away approach, not many items survive to enjoy their questionable afterlife as an pop-art icon. Video games however are well on the way of becoming one, as computers, the general-purpose electronic devices, became the very basis of our own existence.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I think I remember reading somewhere that in times of economic depression, one thing that people still spend money on is entertainment, notably video games, because you get a lot of bang for your buck.

It's hard to tell with video games where they are going to go. I still feel strongly, they will eventually break, and them lose value, but until them I see them rising in value. Video games are a bit different than movies, comics, art, etc... in that they take all things considered art, and turn them into one interactive package that someone can experience. I think this is a big reason why video games have become so popular over the years. I merely think even though not considered art by the main-stream, they indeed are, and for that reason continue to gain popularity.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
There is art in video games, there are also plenty of other things...video games are not art entirely.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
...video games are not art entirely.

Sure, they can't be, for they have rules -- art has none. They're more applied arts, like a Marcel Breuer easy chair or a Spyder. You can enjoy them just by peering hard at, or use both as designated to enjoy your life, all within the immortal three qualities: Firmitas, Utilitas, Venustas. With time though, the former will fail, so the second will cease to exist and finally you'll have to settle exclusively with the last one, i.e. you'll emulate and occasionally stare at your original, beautiful & expensive, yet dead, museum piece. So many memories...

Last edited:

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
There is art in video games, there are also plenty of other things...video games are not art entirely.

Any medium can produce art, however our current analytical tools rely too much on film criticism. A Video game also has two audiences, the person playing the game, and the people watching the person playing the game.

My own viewpoint is that you have to analyze a game in terms of how it manipulates the player via the choices given to the player, at the same time you also must look at the literary and cinematic aspects if any... and how they impact the purpose of the game.

Or in bioshock's case, it makes point-in-fact that you have no choices, and makes that linearity part of the game's plot.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Any medium can produce art, however our current analytical tools rely too much on film criticism.

Hahaha... which makes Arthur Danto (art), Kenneth Frampton & Collin Rowe (architecture) & Paul Virilio (urbanism) all film critics, I suppose? Them & countless others (Giedion, Venturi, both Smithsons, Pawley, Posener, Banham) are the basis of current analysis methods you would-be intellectual, with regular boffin-outings.

Edit..

Admittedly, it could be that, when all is cleverly said and quirkily done, your posts are meant to be a deconstructed ng.com-membership, where the contrivances are a deliberate and ironic parsing of an unreal digital world set within a virtual forum. If so, kudos, but you should be careful what you wish for - after all, your brilliant deconstruction is my dumb unravelling.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
as computers, the general-purpose electronic devices, became the very basis of our own existence.
care to elaborate on how computers are the "very basis of our own existence"? I don't think in binary...

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
You also should consider the definition of the term art over the years. Its stuck as the same thing its always been. But things evolve. The term has changed for many over the years, but for the old farts that dont understand games or are not willing to even try because they are just "games" have kept it from evolving.

But to how computer are the basis of our existebce. There are plebty of theories. Of course no one really knows. Some are the theory the universe is a 3d image prohected from a 2d plane. Another is that the universe follows specific rules like a computer. Programming can be compared to the universe and it can be a bit overwhelming if you research. Theres also the question if mathematics, which are what the world appears to be based on. And the age old question is have numbers always been here, and discovered by man, or is it something man made up to explain the world. The similarities between computers and our universe are a bit alarming really.

If you do a google search on math and our existence, or programming. You can find some interesting info. There are also many great books.

Oh, one interesting thing to research real fast are fibonnacci numbers. Especially in regard to the planets. When we talk about our existence we ate really talking about the link between mathematics and the universe.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I don't think in binary...

Is thinking essential to our survival in the hunter-gatherer sense? Of course not, instincts are and basically we all just have to eat, drink, sleep, procreate & die. To provide and satisfy these requirements for 7 Billion people and counting, we rely on computers. That said, throw away your i:Gadgets, get off the grid, have no phone, go back to pen & paper and try to make a living. Breathing comes before the basic rationale behind.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
I'll do some research as greedo suggested... but I'd like to point out real quick in response to oliver that what makes us human (and seperates us from animals) is our ability to think/reflect. The "human condition" is of course way more, I should have known that...

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I'll do some research as greedo suggested... but I'd like to point out real quick in response to oliver that what makes us human (and seperates us from animals) is our ability to think/reflect. The "human condition" is of course way more, I should have known that...

Also the ability to understand some day we are going to die.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I'd like to point out real quick in response to oliver that what makes us human (and seperates us from animals) is our ability to think/reflect.

Animals think & reflect, too. Instantly becoming depressive afterwards. The mistake was that we began to think in the first place. If we had stuck to the bliss of rutting and feeding, all this would not have happened. Someone experiments with us - but he doesn't seem to have found the solution as yet. We won't complain. Guinea pigs too should have professional pride.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
Hahaha... which makes Arthur Danto (art), Kenneth Frampton & Collin Rowe (architecture) & Paul Virilio (urbanism) all film critics, I suppose? Them & countless others (Giedion, Venturi, both Smithsons, Pawley, Posener, Banham) are the basis of current analysis methods you would-be intellectual, with regular boffin-outings.
Nah, just that video game criticism currently uses film criticism techniques, hence its no wonder when someone asked Ebert about video games, he trashed them... he's a film critic, what the fuck does he know?

Film is a visual medium that tells a story, video games can be that... but thats like judging a film based on just its storytelling. You have to look how the game does or doesn't manipulate you based on the choices it allows the player to make in addition to its aesthetics and storytelling.

Admittedly, it could be that, when all is cleverly said and quirkily done, your posts are meant to be a deconstructed ng.com-membership, where the contrivances are a deliberate and ironic parsing of an unreal digital world set within a virtual forum. If so, kudos, but you should be careful what you wish for - after all, your brilliant deconstruction is my dumb unravelling.

Its very common for authors who write shit to then turn around and call it post-modern deconstruction. Some of what I do in the war room is deconstruction... to an extent, some of it is just boredom and kicking anthills.

Granted, I am still surprised... though i could have missed it. Why hasn't anyone posted a picture of a prostitute in the recent purchases thread? (Or a bag or rice for that matter).

Shin Tin

n00b
I've been wondering, as far as AES collecting goes (and for the sake of discussion consider only European titles) what would work out as being more expensive;

Purchasing all legit AES games at the time of their release (factoring in inflation) Vs. Purchasing all legit AES games at current market value

Excluding maybe KE (for its rediculous rarity/cost) what would the complete sets cost then and now?

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
when i was collecting nearly a decade a go i spent 1-2k and i had only about 2 dozen games and nothing much special no way i could get back into it now

Missile

Another Striker
Prices are very high now but you can still get some games like Art of Fighting, or Fatal Fury at a low price if you are starting out. Or even unboxed AES carts are a lot cheaper. Then maybe get the more expensive AES games on MVS and use a convertor. Then when you've figured out which of these games mean the most to you, save up and buy one every now and again. This is what I do. It's enjoyable, I never intend to get every AES game and I play on all of my games.

I think if you're an arse about it and have to have every AES game in mint condition un-played on your shelf then it's not worth it and won't be much fun. Over the years I have seen a lot of (wealthy) people with complete collections, who end up selling them off after less than a year. If you work and spend time to get your collection it means more and you can still get bargains even on Ebay if you put in the time looking. Only buy a game you want to play.

Shin Tin

n00b
I'm just starting back out again into the AES. Used to have a few games

Sengoku
Thrash Rally
Samuri Showdown
Super Sidekicks
Football Frenzy
Alpha Mission 2

Sadly I sold them off when I needed money, don't regret it as having the money was more important at the time. Now I'm looking to get back into it and get some of the basic titles I liked (Thrash Rally, Alpha Mission 2). I'm happy to take my time over it, I do fancy getting a converter as well but prices soon add up so slow and steady it is, though a functional flash cart would be the best.

I can understand the desire to have a full collection but in all honesty I think if i could snap my fingers and have them all in an instant I wouldn't, wanting them is half the fun. If you get everything you want straight away it soon leaves you feeling empty.

Missile

Another Striker
I can understand the desire to have a full collection but in all honesty I think if i could snap my fingers and have them all in an instant I wouldn't, wanting them is half the fun. If you get everything you want straight away it soon leaves you feeling empty.

Totally agree! You already have a great little collection there. Good luck with your collecting Shin Tin

Shin Tin

n00b
Unfortunately that was what I used to have, sold them off a while ago. Sitting on nothing at the moment. Got a wee NGPC collect but again they are just commons (11 boxed, 5 loose). I'd love to have my old collection back.

PS What part of the UK you from Missile?

Last edited:

Missile

Another Striker
Unfortunately that was what I used to have, sold them off a while ago. Sitting on nothing at the moment. Got a wee NGPC collect but again they are just commons (11 boxed, 5 loose). I'd love to have my old collection back.

PS What part of the UK you from Missile?

Sorry I misunderstood. What game are you aiming to buy first? Sam Shodown and Side kicks or even their direct sequels still aren't too much now (although higher than they used to be). I'm a little way south of London. Sadly quite far away from Scotland or I'd lend you some games ;)