I'm one big fat Neo NOOB! Help me out?

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
MVS is still the cheapest route, yes the prices have shot up but so have the prices of AES and Neo CD. Get a 1 slot board consolized into a CMVS. Talk to Xian Xi he can work with your budget, a bare bones one with only s-vid will probably run you around $200 you can get premium ones with all the bells and whistles from Omega for $500 and a wooden one for $650 from Analogue Interactive (but don't talk about that AI CMVS here, lot of drama about that)

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Ok gotcha on the AEC thing, So for a new guy buying a system and wanting to play his games what's the cheaper route?

Neo CD will be the cheapest in the long run but the fighters have some pretty long loading times. The flip side is some games have awesome arranged music. It's really a toss up, I've got games across all three platforms. Check them all out and decide for yourself.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Hey I am going to start getting myself more acquainted with the Neo Geo but I would appreciate a little help.

What are some good games?

Games I like some but not all would be ,

Ninja Gaiden , Contra , Castlevania , Zelda stuff like that. I am a Nes fanboy for sure but I want to open my eyes to more!

Legend of Success Joe is the best game.

Mack702

New Challenger
MVS is still the cheapest route, yes the prices have shot up but so have the prices of AES and Neo CD. Get a 1 slot board consolized into a CMVS. Talk to Xian Xi he can work with your budget, a bare bones one with only s-vid will probably run you around $200 you can get premium ones with all the bells and whistles from Omega for $500 and a wooden one for $650 from Analogue Interactive (but don't talk about that AI CMVS here, lot of drama about that)

Just looked on the bay and holy crap lmao, prices are nuts.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Yeah a few years ago you could go on ebay and buy a bunch of crusty old MVS carts for almost nothing, now the resellers have found out there is profit to be made in the MVS market now with all the CMVS's about. Glad I got most of my games before the whole explosion. You could always get yourself a 161 in 1 multicart it has most of the best games on it and most run pretty well, a few have major game breaking bugs. But it is good way to cheaply play the games on real hardware and decide if you want to own any of the real carts. I think Aliexpress is the cheapest place to get one http://www.aliexpress.com/item/1-pc...me-pcb-game-board-Snk-for-game/531601705.html

Mack702

New Challenger
That's a pretty good idea right there, I think I seen someone on ebay offering that with the Neo for an ungodly price.

What's up with the Supergun stuff or is that something else, I saw people selling some weird looking systems in the market place.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
+1 MM2 is the best MM ever.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
That's a pretty good idea right there, I think I seen someone on ebay offering that with the Neo for an ungodly price.

What's up with the Supergun stuff or is that something else, I saw people selling some weird looking systems in the market place.
I have a supergun too, that is a good route to take as well since you won't be limited to just playing Neo Geo you can play any JAMMA standard arcade boards. Only 1 slots are true JAMMA the multi slot boards will need a special adapter.
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=44851

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
they can do HDMI or component but that drives up the price, Mine does just RGB via scart or S-video and I run it through my RGB to HDMI upscaler to play it on my HDTV

Mack702

New Challenger
they can do HDMI or component but that drives up the price, Mine does just RGB via scart or S-video and I run it through my RGB to HDMI upscaler to play it on my HDTV

So many damn choices lol, I have to say I really like the Saturn inputs though ... great controller.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Saturn controllers are pretty easy to implement now with Toodles' FGW converter. I love it.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
You want a link to Mega Man 2? Is u fo real dawg?

mehguy

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Neo CD will be the cheapest in the long run but the fighters have some pretty long loading times. The flip side is some games have awesome arranged music. It's really a toss up, I've got games across all three platforms. Check them all out and decide for yourself.

Another down side is that the cd only has neo games from 1990-1999, but still doesn't have all the games from that time period. If you get the cd, you're gonna miss out on some awesome games.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Another down side is that the cd only has neo games from 1990-1999, but still doesn't have all the games from that time period. If you get the cd, you're gonna miss out on some awesome games.

Did you steal that sweet tacos quote/pic from shmups?

That member in which I don't believe is even on this forum is too cool to have his name whored out as your sig.

Last edited:

Mack702

New Challenger
I'm serious lol everytime I search for it, it gives me Mega Man fighters for the NGPC or something.