I'm one big fat Neo NOOB! Help me out?

Mack702

New Challenger
Hey I am going to start getting myself more acquainted with the Neo Geo but I would appreciate a little help.

What are some good games?

Games I like some but not all would be ,

Ninja Gaiden , Contra , Castlevania , Zelda stuff like that. I am a Nes fanboy for sure but I want to open my eyes to more!

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
contra: metal slug series/ cyber lib

platformers- im a fan of blues journey. somewhere between platforming and contra is top hunter.

crossed swords is a great 1st person hack and slash

there is a couple bubble bobble style games too like nightmare in the dark which is fantastic. (expensive, but fantastic).

lots of puzzlers and fighters out there too.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Heya Mack! We chatted a bunch on RB glad you could join us here, you have helped me a lot over the past. :D

You like Ninja Gaiden? Try Ganryu on the Neo Geo MVS, its a bit like Ninja Gaiden meets bionic Commando. Its a great game, sadly the pickings are slim for platformers since the genre is not the best suited for arcade play.

Mack702

New Challenger
Thanks guys well I used to play the shit out of , Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat but that was ages ago.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
The Neo is best known for Fighters, sure there are the well known ones like King of Fighters ,Sam Shodown, Garou ect but for a fighter newbie check out Breakers Revenge on the arcade hardware, one of my personal favs. Sure it is a blatant Street Fighter 2 clone but it does it oh so well and very easy to pick up and play. If you know how to do supers in Street Fighter 2 you know how to do them in Breakers, exact same.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
DONT GET FOOLED BY DOUBLE DRAGON.

its awful.

Mack702

New Challenger
Ok I am making a notepad with all these games is it ok if I play them on Emulators first or is that a No no here?

I almost forgot I really like Shmups hopefully thats what there called like raiden and stuff.

Is Vag Lord = Gun Lord?

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Ok I am making a notepad with all these games is it ok if I play them on Emulators first or is that a No no here?

I almost forgot I really like Shmups hopefully thats what there called like raiden and stuff.

Is Vag Lord = Gun Lord?

vag lord = magician lord.

also emulate away. play what you like.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
Mack do you have an Xbox 360? Garou Mark of the Wolves and Metal Slug 3 are on the XBLA with online play, I'd be down for some play, aren't you already on my friends list? I feel like you are, my gamer tag is the same as everywhere.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Sure it is a blatant Street Fighter 2 clone but it does it oh so well and very easy to pick up and play. If you know how to do supers in Street Fighter 2 you know how to do them in Breakers, exact same.

LOL No.

SFII clone? Yeah man, I love my running, chain combos and super cancels in SFII.

Mack702

New Challenger
No more 360 bro only Xboxone now.

How about the Neo Geo X Gold?

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Metal Slug is all amazing and what got me into Neo in the first place, jump on 1, and X, and once you get a good feel for the series try out 3. I would also check out Shock Troopers and Ninja Commando, they're a little different than contra being top down, but they are amazing nonetheless.

As far as platformers Magician Lord and Top Hunter for certain, as has been said. Magician lord is a bit dated and top hunter is pretty odd, but both are pretty great.

And honestly, you would probably love Gunlord from NGDEV team, but I might suggest you find a dreamcast copy, as the Neo Geo copies are up there.

Mack702

New Challenger
Damn it looked ok from my point of view but I still don't know jack lol

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member

Is Vag Lord = Gun Lord?

lol, Magician Lord.

Also, good on you for branching out of the marketplace dude. ;)

PS - Depending on if you're NorCal or SoCal, several of us in both regions hold pretty large get togethers regularly. That's a great way to meet a bunch of peeps and to play a bunch of games you may not have otherwise had the opportunity to play.

Edit:

The Vag Lord = Teddy KGB

HAHA... how did i miss this. Gotta scroll a little further down I suppose. I blame tapatalk.

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Damn it looked ok from my point of view but I still don't know jack lol

that'll learn ya.

there is only one true proper fan of that system here. talk to pipes if you want to hear about its glory.