If shit went nuts and you could only keep 3 games for the rest of your life...

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Dude, did you play III? The XL maps were double the size. Most games I didn't necessarily know they were being released - they just showed up on store shelves. Heroes III was one of the few games I remember coming out and thinking "Wow, I hope it's awesome". And I didn't even have a computer, so playing II at friends' houses was quite special in itself. The game made some excellent improvements in customizing armies/magic/heroes.

Yeah, I bought III on release... it's a great game too, but II is still my favorite for it's art style and great music. (I'm not a fan of III's pre-rendered graphics)

I also found III to be a little overly difficult. The AI was even less merciful than in II, which is saying something.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Contra III
Streets of Rage 2
Killer Instinct (Xbone) - (not trolling...totally serious about this one)

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
these three have the best replay value in the neo library, I think (in no particular order)

magical drop 3
metal slug 1
samurai shodown 3

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
One game that I forgot to include was Heroes of Might & Magic II. Holy shit is that one of the best strategy/RPG's of all time. Addictive as hell and a huge time sink (single maps can take hours to conquer). I always end up getting my ass kicked, but I still keep coming back for more.

Don't know which game I'd have to kick off my list to put it in though.

I would have pick that one but I've done everything there is to do in it, so no fun left. HOMM3 is also up there.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I would have pick that one but I've done everything there is to do in it, so no fun left. HOMM3 is also up there.

Two words: MAP EDITOR

I love creating crazy challenges for myself... or putting massive amounts of titans or black dragons on the map that will join my heroes and we can stomp everything in sight. Fun times.

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
Space Invaders (arcade)
Tecmo Super Bowl (NES)
Revenge of Shinobi (Genesis)

I think. Choosing only 3 is really freaking difficult.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Dr. Mario, magical drop 3, and good civ snes. I could play those games forever and get really broken down on that island.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
3 is just not enough but here it goes

1. Gran Turismo 6 (I have some cool fanatec gear. wheel, pedals and shifter)
2. Metal Slug 2
3. Dungeons & Dragons: SoM

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I saw someone picked Mario All-Stars earlier--is that legit (since it's a collection)? I love all of those games.

Let's see... if I'm going for replayability, I'll pick these:

Minecraft
Legend of Mana
Last Blade 2

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Ultima Online

Chrono Trigger

F Zero

Fuck yeah F-Zero! The only problem is that there's only 15 tracks. I usually have to take more than a year off after playing it regularly for it to be fresh again.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Civilization V
GTA V
Minecraft
This is along the lines of what I'm thinking as well. A lot of people seem to be listing their 3 favorite games, but if 3 is all you got then you probably want obscene depth instead of overall quality. I'm thinking:

Civilization V BNW
Final Fantasy Tactics
Monster Hunter Tri or better yet 3U

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
There's no wrong or right choices, that list of yours is boring to tears but to each their own.

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
There's no wrong or right choices, that list of yours is boring to tears but to each their own.

I just realized RPGs play like a game of QWOP where your runner is amputated at the knees, and at the end of the race you get equipped with a really nice pair of shoes.

Speed3

Marked Wolf
Super Mario Bros 3 / Mario All Stars version- SNES
Metal Slug- MVS
Insurgency- Steam PC

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
3 is just not enough but here it goes

1. Gran Turismo 6 (I have some cool fanatec gear. wheel, pedals and shifter)
2. Metal Slug 2
3. Dungeons & Dragons: SoM

I almost included GT6 myself. Pretty much all that stays in my PS3. Another game I'll probably never get tired of.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Have you played Pok駑on Puzzle League N64? How about the DSiware Puzzle League? It plays vertical, it's awesome! Both games are the same premise as Tetris Attack, which is weird how is not a Tetris game and Yoshi is the protagonist, there's also Yoshi a puzzle game on the Gameboy and NES, I feel it was the start of this puzzle concept, great game!

It's a lot easier to summarize Tetris Attack/Puzzle League by its Japanese counterpart, Panel de Pon. It's still my absolute favorite puzzle game, very competitive and satisfying to no end.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
That's an interesting list you have there, EG. This is kinda hard, I wouldn't necessarily pick the absolute best games ever, but you'd have to factor in replayability, so a lot of story based games would be out. Just off the top of my head:

Dracula X (PCE)

Super Mario 3

Metal Slug
Which version of SMB3 do you mean? NES, SNES (All-Stars), or Gameboy Advance? IMO, the NES version is the best, because you can't save your game, like you can on the SNES (which makes it too easy to start from later worlds, rather than play the whole game from start to end), and the Gameboy Advance version has the annoying recorded speech for Mario and Luigi. The sound effects and music are better on the NES version.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
lol who the fuck prefers any Mario All Stars version over the original NES games? heathens