How long will this amiibo craze last?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
So is that lame-ass robot suit all you get from the Spaltoon amiibo?

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
My "fuck this I don't need any" stance lasted all of 15 seconds or so. Went in Toys R Us to get Splatoon, ended up also buying Squid Boy, Squid Girl, Pac Man, and Charizard.

Willpower and amiibo do not go together.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Managed to get 'em all except the 'puff. Iirc, the Splatoon ones have 10 or so challenge levels each figure besides the outfits/weapons. The family and I are going to try them out with the game this evening.

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
Managed to snag a Pac Man and Charizard last night. Some guy made a huge shopping cart barricade around the electronics area of my local wal-mart so no body could get to the figures. Was pretty funny when people just climbed over them and grabbed their Pac-mans and Charizards. Also got a Ness and Jigglypuff coming in the mail. Doesn't sound like any of the figures are going to be really rare this wave.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
ok you slutburgers, Walmart has the Splatoon 3 pack available online now. don't say I don't love ya'll.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I don't give a shit about splatoon, but --

Went to Target in Champlin, MN after work and they had 7 Jigglypuffs, snagged one to train later.

Got pac man and opened it right away for that cool MK8 uniform.

Went to Coon Rapids Target and they were cleaned out.

Heading to TRU tomorrow to see if I can score Charlizard.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Was at Best Buy today and found a Meta Knight. Anyone need him? I'd like a Lucario if someone wants to trade. I know Toys R Us recently got a restock, but the Toys R Us stores around here are sketchy as hell. As for people hunting Meta Knights, he's definitely in Best Buys. The one on Rosecrans and Sepulveda in South Bay, Los Angeles had four.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Was at Best Buy today and found a Meta Knight. Anyone need him? I'd like a Lucario if someone wants to trade. I know Toys R Us recently got a restock, but the Toys R Us stores around here are sketchy as hell. As for people hunting Meta Knights, he's definitely in Best Buys. The one on Rosecrans and Sepulveda in South Bay, Los Angeles had four.

I was quite surprised when my Best Buy had about a dozen Metaknights. My first reaction was "I need two! One to open and one to save!" And then I thought "NAY! I NEED ALL OF THEM!" And then luckily reason won out and I bought one, and only one.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
http://youtu.be/RE-orx_HTfE
He summed it up well I guess.

Yeah this launch has been the worst, no doubt about it. I only dropped in a local Target and Gamestop since I was in the area and didn't see any new wave stuff in either. The only thing I managed to snag was a Splatoon 3 pack online from Walmart. The only one I thought about getting from this wave was Wario, and I figured he would be the common one, but who knows...?

delti90

Cheng's Errand Boy
I hope Toys R Us gets some more Greninja's. That's the only amiibo I actually want, yet I can't find him at any TRU. I didn't realize this wave released until yesterday.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I hope Toys R Us gets some more Greninja's. That's the only amiibo I actually want, yet I can't find him at any TRU. I didn't realize this wave released until yesterday.

That's the worst thing about these recent waves. If you don't follow Reddit, or are a casual Nintendo/Amiibo fan, you could have walked into a Gamestop or Best Buy Friday at lunch and wouldn't have even known a new wave was released a few hours earlier. Stuff was cleaned out almost immediately, and that's just nuts.

I've been lucky to find all but a couple I've wanted in the store, and I can't stand the idea of feeding the scalpers, but finally did grab a Villager from Japan because fuck it.

The worst part about all of this is, these things are so non-rare it's laughable. Go to Amazon, eBay or Craigslist on any day and there are tons of whatever character you want. I just wish people weren't complete assholes and bought out a whole store every time "rares" get a restock. :(

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
That's the worst thing about these recent waves. If you don't follow Reddit, or are a casual Nintendo/Amiibo fan, you could have walked into a Gamestop or Best Buy Friday at lunch and wouldn't have even known a new wave was released a few hours earlier. Stuff was cleaned out almost immediately, and that's just nuts.

I've been lucky to find all but a couple I've wanted in the store, and I can't stand the idea of feeding the scalpers, but finally did grab a Villager from Japan because fuck it.

The worst part about all of this is, these things are so non-rare it's laughable. Go to Amazon, eBay or Craigslist on any day and there are tons of whatever character you want. I just wish people weren't complete assholes and bought out a whole store every time "rares" get a restock. :(

I've just been lucky. I walk into stores when I have time and look around, and if I see something I want, I snag it.

Found an extra Toad at a Target, but didn't pick it up. I only buy the ones I like that look cool, or ones I know I'll use in games.

Looks like Bowser Jr. and some other ones will be store exclusives.

http://nerdreactor.com/2015/05/31/next-set-of-amiibo-will-see-more-store-exclusives/

Last edited:

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
I've just been lucky. I walk into stores when I have time and look around, and if I see something I want, I snag it.

Found an extra Toad at a Target, but didn't pick it up. I only buy the ones I like that look cool, or ones I know I'll use in games.

Looks like Bowser Jr. and some other ones will be store exclusives.

http://nerdreactor.com/2015/05/31/next-set-of-amiibo-will-see-more-store-exclusives/

I'm hoping Dr.Mario won't be a store exclusive, He's the last Amiibo from smash bros I care about picking up.
Also did anyone here about the new Chibi-Robo Amiibo coming out for the game in that series?

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Also did anyone here about the new Chibi-Robo Amiibo coming out for the game in that series?

Yes, Nintendo has been good with their combo packs. So I don't expect that one to be too hard to find. Plus, it doesn't have much detail, so it shouldn't be hard for them to make that character compared to the Fire Emblem characters.

Last edited:

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
They gotta stop doing the store exclusive bullshit. I just wanted Ness from this current crop of characters but I refuse to pay a dollar more above the normal price for one of them. I did get the Inkling Girl when I picked up my copy of Splatoon and I totally agree with what Jim Sterling had to say in his video. It's basically paying for on-disc DLC. Everything's on there, you just can't access it without the toy and it sucks. The single player campaign of Splatoon is a lot of fun and the challenge modes on the stages with different weapons is a lot of fun, but what's the point if you can't actually go to the store to buy the stupid things?

Plus the rewards for completing the challenges suck. Since I got the girl I got the school uniform, an extra loading mini game and another sniper rifle. Since I don't use sniper rifles I could care less about the weapon and the extra mini game is cute, but not worth the price. The thing that pissed me off was the costume pieces. In the game you can have up to four slots that give your character extra enhancements in the multiplayer. Of course the ones you get for the Amiibo are only 3 slots and the extras I got on them sucked compared to the costumes I bought on the first night of playing the game.

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
The thing that pissed me off was the costume pieces. In the game you can have up to four slots that give your character extra enhancements in the multiplayer. Of course the ones you get for the Amiibo are only 3 slots and the extras I got on them sucked compared to the costumes I bought on the first night of playing the game.
If I'm not mistaken, later on in the game can't you buy more slots and resets for your slots?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Uniform only via the amiibo? Fuck this gay earth.

Pretty much. I actually scored a few from this wave, but now I'm sitting here wondering why I even bothered. It's easy to get caught up in the hype of these things. Freaking madness surrounds them... Screw it, though, my Greninja has fugly paint on his legs, pre-ordered from Toys R Us, my Wario has a nasty black nose hair up his snoz thanks to captain shaky hands that was painting him, and I spent like 15 mins in a store picking between Star Foxes 'cause nearly every one had a glaring paint defect. Quality on these things are hit and miss, the availability sucks hardcore (there's no way I'm preordering multiples to make sure I get a clean looking one, fuck that noise), and their usability is next to nil. Screw Amiibos. I feel like a fool for buying any of them... Save Villager... He makes me feel warm and fuzzy and miss my Animal Crossing town that is now overrun with roaches and weeds. Sorry, Rowsdale... Your mayor is dead.

Last edited:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Guess I got lucky with my Mega Man only having a black line on its face...
Why can't I use it with Splatoon anyway? Why not giving me his outfit in the game?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
That's kind of the way I feel. At least more costumes are showing up in Mario Kart, but it feels so underwhelming right now. Nintendo needs to push as many little Amiibo perks into games as possible. Like you said, why isn't there a costume for every Amiibo in Splatoon? That's their new hot franchise. Why not encourage every Amiibo buyer out there to jump in and use their figures? What would it take to just make a costume for the Nintendo owned characters, at the very least? OK, maybe Capcom would shit on a Mega Man, or Sega would say no to Sonic costumes in Splatoon (even though they both got Kart costumes...), but why not at least every other freaking character they can get in there? Seems like Nintendo still isn't sure what to do with Amiibos.

Last edited:

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I'm waiting for someone to make an app to reprogram the NFC chip on these things. Would love to turn a Mario into a Captain Falcon to unlock his costume in Kart ;)

Yeah, why isn't there an app? I heard about people reprogramming them to be the Duck Hunt dog way back when the first wave came out.

Piccolo_DBz

Astra,
My last 2 have came in. Here's my collection as of now.

ht8ml4.jpg

I still have 5 in limbo till the end of july.