How long will this amiibo craze last?

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Serious talk:

3ds_reader.0.jpg

I'm ready...

I'm just afraid those cards are going to be impossible to come by... Also, countdown until the Pokemon card release announcement?

ereaderunit_091702_1.jpg

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Serious talk:

3ds_reader.0.jpg

I'm ready...

I'm just afraid those cards are going to be impossible to come by... Also, countdown until the Pokemon card release announcement?

Not even half as cool as the Animal crossing e-reader cards.

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
Serious talk:

3ds_reader.0.jpg

I'm ready...

I'm sure they'll be easy to get a hold of; but you know there's going to be those few in the set that are going to be the equivalent of the old Charizard pokemon card from base set.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Not even half as cool as the Animal crossing e-reader cards.

So, like a quarter cool as, or not even? Pfft, whatever. Haters going to do that thing that involves hating on stuff, cause having NFC is way cooler than having to swipe some squiggly barcode thingy.

Bring on the Goldie card. She's my dog. Don't even care that she has fleas.

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
So, like a quarter cool as, or not even? Pfft, whatever. Haters going to do that thing that involves hating on stuff, cause having NFC is way cooler than having to swipe some squiggly barcode thingy.

Bring on the Goldie card. She's my dog. Don't even care that she has fleas.
Well at least when it comes to the more expensive cards with the e-reader you could always print out a copy and use that. If scalpers go crazy with the nfc cards, it'll be fun trying to use the more rare cards.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
I managed to get a pre order of Ness last Friday. Luckily for us, Quebec is always a day behind the rest of north America, so I got an advantage when to pre-orders.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
At first I was vehemently opposed to the idea of using cards instead of amiibos...but given how hard it is to collect amiibos (availability, price, quantity, space issues), I've actually warmed up to the idea. Plus, for a game like animal crossing they could potentially do non-character cards as well. Interested to see how this develops.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Throwin' this out to my fellow Canucks: Gold Mario will be available at retailers this Friday (not store exclusive like in the US). Stores already have the stock, but it's street dated. Seems everyone got around a case and a half.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Lol, reading this stuff about the Amiibo-apocalypse the other week is pretty nuts.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
It was a total fuckup on how the whole thing was handled. Just flat out lying to us to go into the actual store? No thanks. I'll just buy a Japanese or European Ness. I've had it with this store exclusive bullshit, it just turns into shit. Of course it had to be the one character I wanted, though I'll find plenty of Wario's and Charazards in stores... That means Lucas will also go through GS and MewTwo through TRU and whoever the 3rd added character will be Target...woopty shit.

All because of stupid plastic toys.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
All because of stupid plastic toys.

It's more because Nintendo doesn't give a damn about the North American market or with meeting the demand there clearly is for the niche characters. As the meme goes... "Please understand."

Last edited:

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
The only Amiibo I really want now besides Shulk is Zero Suit Samus. Hopefully that doesn't wind up being some sort of catastrophe as well.

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
The only Amiibo I really want now besides Shulk is Zero Suit Samus. Hopefully that doesn't wind up being some sort of catastrophe as well.

It will be a catastrophe, it will always be a catastrophe

Last edited:

neo_mao

15 Year Member
So has the craze ended?

The last amiibo related post here was nearly a month ago - that's crazy.

Somebody say something about amiibos dammit.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
So has the craze ended?

Rumors of Palutena being a Walmart exclusive/Dark Pit a Best Buy exclusive was the last thing I heard might be happening via Reddit. But we'll see...

I'm more excited by Lego Dimensions and Disney Infinity 3.0, personally.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
yeah. star wars infinity is gonna make some money.

I decided to stop with Amiibo's as they didn't add anything to the games.
The only people i know that are still collecting are the ones that had most of them already, so they are trying to keep it complete.

I have other things to spend my money on at the moment.

neo_mao

15 Year Member
Yeah truthfully so am I. I might pick up a Wario from this next wave assuming I find him in the wild..my guess is he will be the common one. But I am pretty sure I will not ever get Robin or Lucina and I am ok with that :)

If Palutena and Dark Pitt are store exclusives that will suck. I don't have any trade bait, so I may have to sacrifice some of my own harder to find rares to get them if I can't manage to preorder...

After those, it's the Samus Zero Suit and the fuzzy wuzzy Yoshis which both should be plentiful and then I think I am done.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
So has the craze ended?

im sure this thread will get a lot of posts come may 29th once wave 4 is released! i wasn't able to get my hands on one single smash amiibo but only 2 of the splatoon ones and that one i got lucky. Right after i preordered online, it was sold out within 5 mins. I think the store exclusives are also bullshit and totally unnecessary.

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
Walked into my local ice cream parlor today and was a little shocked to see they had two link amiibos sitting up on a toy shelf for $9. I think the craze is far from over yet.