How long will this amiibo craze last?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
So which characters were supposedly up for preorder yesterday....did it include the June releases like Samus or Palutena?

In store order only pre-orders? On a Thursday? Lol, like I was going to take a vacation day off from work for this. Thankfully I am kinda over the amiibo craze. I do want those June ones so hopefully didn't miss the boat - but even if I did I'll just snag the euro or Japanese versions.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Actually that Yoshi yarn amiibo is awesome, I want that one too when it comes out.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Just read Destructoid's article from yesterday.

I'm out, I think. This shit is insane.

Lol for a review of "Wave 4 amiibo shopping." (also destructoid)

Last edited:

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
Wow. Well I don't see much point in swinging by my local GS today if everything is showing sold out. :(

I'm hoping at some point I can acquire a Pac-Man but I don't see me being able to get these until they start showing up on shelves (IF they show up). :annoyed:

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
There was a lineup of 30+ people at my local EB this morning. I made the change from the placeholder orders for a full set as well as the Splatoon ones.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Actually that Yoshi yarn amiibo is awesome, I want that one too when it comes out.

woollyamiib_wumv.png

I will resist.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Wow. Well I don't see much point in swinging by my local GS today if everything is showing sold out. :(

I'm hoping at some point I can acquire a Pac-Man but I don't see me being able to get these until they start showing up on shelves (IF they show up). :annoyed:

What I find so hard to believe about this whole Gamestop mess is how they managed to pre-sell out of their entire stock to the point that they can't do web preorders and don't have any stock for stores. Just how little stock did they get allotted that even the figures that would be extremely common would sell out even with their Web In Store crashing? Something doesn't add up.

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
What I find so hard to believe about this whole Gamestop mess is how they managed to pre-sell out of their entire stock to the point that they can't do web preorders and don't have any stock for stores. Just how little stock did they get allotted that even the figures that would be extremely common would sell out even with their Web In Store crashing? Something doesn't add up.

some stores didnt limit people to just one per. i got a call from someone also on line in another store who watched the first person on line get 6 full sets on preorder.

oh- you also dont account for how many GS is holding back in reserve to unleash bundled with other things for more money a month after they are deemed sold out everywhere.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
You know what's weird... For the past few years, everyone says "gamestop sucks" and "I will never shop there again"

Then amibos... Suddently everyone recants.

What a bunch of wimps. You should at least be asking about Battletoads everytime you are in there.

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
You know what's weird... For the past few years, everyone says "gamestop sucks" and "I will never shop there again"

What a bunch of wimps. You should at least be asking about Battletoads everytime you are in there.
Can't wait for them Battletoads amiibos to come out and be gamestop only.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member

its the exclusivity thing. when you have no other choice people tend to fold.

me- i havent given my money to gamestop in years (the amiibo i picked up was for a kid in the family and they gave me the money :emb: ). I don't plan to do so anytime soon.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Haven't shopped in gamestop for the past decade.

Hikaru Ichijyo

Thundercock,
You know what's weird... For the past few years, everyone says "GameStop sucks" and "I will never shop there again"

Then amiibos... Suddenly everyone recants.

What a bunch of wimps. You should at least be asking about BattleToads every time you are in there.

I know I've definitely said the former but not the latter. :smirk:

Cdamm already pointed out the exclusive releases thing. I didn't realize that Nintendo was doing another round of retailer exclusives. :thevt:

I opted to go in there on Friday since it's in the same plaza as my bank. I walked in and the girl working knows I get the Amiibos and said they were all unavailable to pre-order; basically confirming what I already knew. Meh...I'll try my luck when they come out but I'm not holding my breath one bit. :annoyed:

I wouldn't think to ask in GameStop but there's a mom n' pop shop + arcade one exit down from me that has a 3-player BattleToads arcade cabinet. :D

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
Wave 4 and beyond is going to be really hard to collect. I've been lucky and have managed to get just about all of them so far without having to put in much effort. Wave 3 was where I knew the future of collecting the Smash figures was going to be bonkers. I'm still waiting for my Ike and King Dedede to arrive, since stock hasn't been replenished on those yet. Thankfully, the Super Mario ones were really easy to get, Toad notwithstanding; I was able to order him before it sold out.

I like collecting them, but Nintendo has really shit the bed on keeping amiibo stock in good supply. Just about every retailer has done a poor job at keeping out scalpers getting multiples to sell later. I would like to think that in 6-8 months, things will have calmed down a bit, but who knows? All I do know is that Nintendo really needs to fix the supply problem and provide greater opportunities to obtain harder-to-find figures.

I really liked the idea of Amiibo's at first, a cool little Nintendo nicknack you could collect that wouldn't break the bank. Even if you don't own a WiiU they are still fun to have, I have a (Samus and Link).

However people and scalpers have just ruined the whole thing, they are posted on forums and facebook pages like they found a Metal Slug AES US. Wanting to trade one or two Amiibos for stuff worth way more than they are worth. The whole thing just annoys me now.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Was just at Best Buy in West LA, Sawtelle and Pico. 16 Fox Amiibos ready and waiting to be bought. Actually saw a kid buy one! Imagine that. I know there are a few peeps nearby. Get 'em while they're hot.

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
I really liked the idea of Amiibo's at first, a cool little Nintendo nicknack you could collect that wouldn't break the bank. Even if you don't own a WiiU they are still fun to have, I have a (Samus and Link).

However people and scalpers have just ruined the whole thing, they are posted on forums and facebook pages like they found a Metal Slug AES US. Wanting to trade one or two Amiibos for stuff worth way more than they are worth. The whole thing just annoys me now.

exactly! that shit brings the inner demon out of people! i collect em cuz i think they look awesome. i recently picked up a nice amiibo bundle with a gold mario and 2 toads for 50 bucks locally which averages to about $16.60 per figure (a dollar or two more than retail). keeping the gold mario for myself, hooking up a buddy with one of the toads for 10 and hoping to trade the other toad for one i dont have. i was so shocked when the deal went successfully since people are asking 50 for gold mario alone! guess i got lucky

VidyaGamez

Crossed Swords Squire
http://www.gamesradar.com/eff-you-amiibo-im-out/

Well, people are starting to get wise to the notion that going for a full collection is basically impossible. And with the new Nintendo Direct announcing like 30-40 new Amiibos this year, it's even less possible. I dont collect Amiibos, but I just wanna get Diddy Kong, Donkey Kong, Dr. Mario (when it comes out), and Bowser Jr. (when it comes out).

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
http://www.gamesradar.com/eff-you-amiibo-im-out/

Well, people are starting to get wise to the notion that going for a full collection is basically impossible. And with the new Nintendo Direct announcing like 30-40 new Amiibos this year, it's even less possible. I dont collect Amiibos, but I just wanna get Diddy Kong, Donkey Kong, Dr. Mario (when it comes out), and Bowser Jr. (when it comes out).

its getting tough no doubt but for me Ill get what I can take. im not going through the stress of having to worry about the preorder chaos. ill just walk in on the release day and get what I can. trying to preorder them is impossible

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
It'll last until the HYPE dies out.

And I'm thinking that 'll prob. be when people figure out that the speculators are running the market.

'Cause the way I understand things: Nintendo never released any official production run figures.

So, it's pretty much tulip mania out there. And that means whatever the amibo social media gods say, pretty much goes.

Last edited:

Piccolo_DBz

Astra,
Man that last wave preorder was a cluster fuck. I couldn't get any of them and to top it all off Gamestop's site was down on my phone all day until I got out of work and was able to make it to a store only to get the bad news. Fuck.....

cr8zykuban0

Igniz's Servent
Man that last wave preorder was a cluster fuck. I couldn't get any of them and to top it all off Gamestop's site was down on my phone all day until I got out of work and was able to make it to a store only to get the bad news. Fuck.....

tell me about it. running out of pre order within minutes and the system crashing to the point where you have to wait for an hour or two just to get your pre order at gamestop? nah no thanks, i'll just wait till release date and hit up the stores early. i'm not going to stress about it