Here comes the 360 Slim

systmdfect

Baseball Star Hitter
The largest mass-production game console ever made (so far as I'm aware) was the Atari 5200, at least in terms of overall profile/volume taken up by the system itself. That thing was frickin' enormous.

Actually, I believe that one of the Phillips CDI models was a bit bigger. Of course, this begs the question of if the CDI is a game console or a dressed of video player.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
I'm pretty sure the LaserActive has the 5200 beat.

I'm not sure a production run of thirty-seven and spare parts counts as "mass-produced." I exaggerate, but you know what I mean. Most people never even saw the LaserActive at retail, much less any new games for it (even I haven't, and I kept an eye out for it at the time). The 5200 had widespread distribution, even though it just plain didn't sell.

Besides, that's cheating. I excluded the Vectrex for similar reasons (built-in monitor and controller, for those who don't know). Skews the results when the nature of the pre-existing media demands that the system be at least 16"x16".

Gentle Ben

NAM-75 Vet
The question is , does it still red ring?

Ya know, I'm on my sixth 360. EVERY previous model RROD'd. This one is the red RE5 special edition (Jasper chipset), and I have had ZERO problems with it. Granted, I've been playing it a lot less last 6 months, but considering how much time I spent playing Fallout3 last year if it was gonna have issues, it woulda had them then!

I'm all for a slim 360 as long as the price reflects the cheaper manufacturing costs.
Definitely could use a second one for when friends are over for LANing GoW2 and L4D2.

edit: when I posted this, for a split second I thought my rank was "Another Stroker". Nice...

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
There's an article over at 1up that lists the PS3 fatty as the heaviest console ever released, at 11 pounds. The Xbox was 8.6, and the 360 is 7.9.

The slim PS3 is only 7.05 pounds though.

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Hhmm putting the cpu and gpu on the same chip? something tells me that's not a good idea no matter if its 45um

I still think the 3d0 Fz-1 (of course) was the heaviest console

I'm on my sixth 360. EVERY previous model RROD'd.

I am pretty sure that defines something.

Last edited:

Studioaudience

Crazed MVS Addict
Heh I guess Im being to hard on the 360 , then again I been wanting to buy the modern warfare 2 360. But I think the money would be better spent on a gaming pc instead , tired of rrod and paying for xbox live.

aria

Former Moderator
If I were the one to write headlines, I would've made it:

Microsoft debuts the RRoD Slim

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Well it isn't, apparently.

who said a website? that only compared the newest hardware? I need proof.

I mean the 20gb ps3 has to be lighter the the 60gb right? the 80gb has to be even lighter to. what version was weighed?

I have a Fz1 and ps3 but no scale.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
I'm guessing the LaserActive would beat the 3DO.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member

I mean the 20gb ps3 has to be lighter the the 60gb right? the 80gb has to be even lighter to. what version was weighed?

Why would different-sized hard drives make a console heavier? A few ounces of magnet tape? :scratch:

HeartlessNinny

I was going to give you a serious reply, then I realized it was unlikely you could possibly understand it.

fmdof

Morden's Lackey
If I were the one to write headlines, I would've made it:

Microsoft debuts the RRoD Slim

they're probably bailing the lighted ring, so when it croaks we can't say ring of death, but something else.

That aside, I still love my 360. 2 rrod's later, still wouldn't go anywhere without it. Playstion 2 and 3 always seemed to be more everything else first, games second. I think for most people the PS3 is their first and only blu ray player. Same as way back when, the PS2 was most people's dvd player. I read some article how until the ps2 came out dvd's were barely selling in Japan. I don't hate ps3, but right now besides uncharted 2, it doesn't have anything original for me. And I download my movies, so the Blu Ray isn't for me either. At least 360 has Gears and Halo, and yes i still love Halo.

IcBlUsCrN

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Why would different-sized hard drives make a console heavier? A few ounces of magnet tape? :scratch:

then why would i say the 80gb was lighter then the 20-60gb there must be something else to it?

the 60 must have come with stuff the 20 did not like wifi, mem card, reader,and cosmetics.

I was going to give you a serious reply, then I realized it was unlikely you could possibly understand it.

try me

Last edited:

T.A.P.

15 Year Member
Didn't they have stuff in the 60 Gig model that wasn't in those other two?

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
Is the weight of the 360 at 7.9 lbs including the brick?

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Well the thing looks real.

So what does that mean for microsoft... well it probably means that they will lose sales in anticipation of the release... hopefully they take this into account and bring it out a head of schedule.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
then why would i say the 80gb was lighter then the 20-60gb there must be something else to it?

the 60 must have come with stuff the 20 did not like wifi, mem card, reader,and cosmetics.

try me

Uhuh, and those come to a grand total of what? Ten grams?

Poison Sama

The Hentai Christ
20 Year Member
Well the thing looks real.

So what does that mean for microsoft... well it probably means that they will lose sales in anticipation of the release... hopefully they take this into account and bring it out a head of schedule.

They're going to drop the price on the current models to clear them out. This should happen a few months before the Slim gets released.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
They're going to drop the price on the current models to clear them out. This should happen a few months before the Slim gets released.

Actually they are doing it now... in Canada.

The Arcade unit is 129.99 right now. And with the US and Canadian dollar basically at a parity, it can be had for the same price.

But you're right, its just a matter of time. Good insight.

HeartlessNinny

Is the weight of the 360 at 7.9 lbs including the brick?

I doubt it... That brick has got to be 4 or 5 pounds on its own.

Actually they are doing it now... in Canada.

The Arcade unit is 129.99 right now. And with the US and Canadian dollar basically at a parity, it can be had for the same price.

But you're right, its just a matter of time. Good insight.

Shit, $130? That's a pretty good deal.

Xavier

20 Year Member
Needs built in wifi.
This tell me Microsoft is starting to get scared.