GCW Zero - new retrogaming handheld looks great

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Their official site to download the emulators is going to be fine, it's finding ROMS that I'm worried about. I asked before, but I guess I should rephrase myself. Is there any sites I should downright avoid? I miss the old Mame.DK days where it was a simple site, just download and go. The last few sites I went on before I gave up were filled with popup adds, stupid surveys and most of the time they didn't have the most common games that most people already own.

chiba3010

n00b
Anything without a "bumhole" eventually ends up full of $hit- just like anyone dimwitted enough to aesthetically liken the Lynx to the Zero. Both are impressive handhelds but decades apart and ultimately irrelevant to use in comparison with each other- just as irrelevant as a troll who makes such suggestions.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Just saw an update from Q*Bert saying how they have a version of DOSBOX running on the GCW.

Also, for those of you who didn't donate they announced that http://ithic.com/ would be selling the Zero for the US and Canada.

I also asked on the official Facebook page when they'd be sending out the links to join the official forums. I asked if they'd be included with the system or before they ship and the only answer I got was, "that is still to be determined"

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
I dont want to sound rude, but you can have plenty of similar devices on DX.com for less money.
Here is an example: click 1
click2
clicky3
clicky4

I dont see what the big deal is sorry.
Yeah its using dingux instead of Android.

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I dont want to sound rude, but you can have plenty of similar devices on DX.com for less money.

I dont see what the big deal is sorry.

Because those systems are cheaply built and run most emulators like shit?

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
So the GCW Zero has better build ? How can you compare em ? Did you try the other units ? What happens if you install Dingux to the china ones with full support from emu and hardware ?
Sorry i dont see the difference, to me the GCW Zero is one of thouse china units only using a different os.
Maybe the GCW Zero has better build quality who knows ?

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Anybody get the new email about the GCW guys wanting to put in a bid to buy Atari's library of games to put on the Zero? If not here it is.

http://www.fundable.com/reset-atari

Their trying to raise 250 grand. Not sure if this will even work out. They say if they don't get Atari they'll try to get the rights to another company's games.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
What do they need to buy Ataris games for when the system emulates them? This sound more to me like they are trying to pick up the companies assets with our money at a fire sale. Maybe i will put up a kickstarter to pay off my mortgage, i'll send everyone a tshirt and beer coaster if we reach the goal.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
They're not buying the rights to the games. The patents for those have long since expired. They're just buying the brand name.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Why should we be helping them buy that?

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
What do they need to buy Ataris games for when the system emulates them? This sound more to me like they are trying to pick up the companies assets with our money at a fire sale. Maybe i will put up a kickstarter to pay off my mortgage, i'll send everyone a tshirt and beer coaster if we reach the goal.

Calm down...the Atari buyout is it's own project that has nothing to do with the release of the GCW Zero. However, it may bring serious development teams together to work on software for the GCW.

If you don't want to support it, then don't. Not going to affect the release of the Zero, those are already on the way.

Gamemaster

20 Year Member
Their official site to download the emulators is going to be fine, it's finding ROMS that I'm worried about. I asked before, but I guess I should rephrase myself. Is there any sites I should downright avoid? I miss the old Mame.DK days where it was a simple site, just download and go. The last few sites I went on before I gave up were filled with popup adds, stupid surveys and most of the time they didn't have the most common games that most people already own.

Yeah i think thats the biggest problem of open source consoles, no games only emulators that relay to 95% on pirated files to play games.
Actually i dont think a lot ppl own actually hardware to dump games they really bought.
When i think how complicated it actually often is to do that on your own. Sure its actually a lot more easy to just download the games from somewhere.

I often think the industry calls thouse emulatorcoders, gamedumpers or gamecopyers bad people and all, but when you think of it, thease people made its possible that companys can sell old games online again and emulate em on new consoles or PCs. They made it possible to have a market for emulation hardware. The biggest plus in my eyes is they make it possible to store thouse games and save them that you can use em later in the future again.

I can actually agree that new games should not be availible as copy, but old games ?
Then again, buy new emulation hardware to play old games ?

Speaking of me i rarely buy new games, mostly 1-2 year old PC games for very little money. Lately i bought some NGPC Games and a NGP even i could also play em for free on a NGPC.

As for your question with the popups and all. Try use firefox and adblockplus plugin.

Mike26

McWow,
So what's going on with this Atari buyout thing? Sounds like a good idea if done correctly.

As for gcw consoles, has anyone gotten theirs or even notification of shipment yet? Iirc Justin said they would be shipping by mid march and I haven't heard any updates yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
So what's going on with this Atari buyout thing? Sounds like a good idea if done correctly.

As for gcw consoles, has anyone gotten theirs or even notification of shipment yet? Iirc Justin said they would be shipping by mid march and I haven't heard any updates yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

From the kickstarter page:

Status update 1000 units are built and having Quality Assurance and Quality Control tests done of them and the others are moving down the assembly line as perdicted.
At this point it looks like we will just hit the March 26th, 2013 date if anything arises will keep you posted but things are looking good.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Thanks for the update, Xian.

Also, I just looked on the comments section of kickstarter yesterday, and the developer said that he is canceling the Atari bid. He was getting a lot of questions about that one.

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
Just saw an update from Q*Bert saying how they have a version of DOSBOX running on the GCW.

Also, for those of you who didn't donate they announced that http://ithic.com/ would be selling the Zero for the US and Canada.

I also asked on the official Facebook page when they'd be sending out the links to join the official forums. I asked if they'd be included with the system or before they ship and the only answer I got was, "that is still to be determined"

I completely missed this on KickStarter, but I suspect I'll wind up buying one if it lives up to the hype.

Mike26

McWow,
Thanks for the update, Xian.

Also, I just looked on the comments section of kickstarter yesterday, and the developer said that he is canceling the Atari bid. He was getting a lot of questions about that one.

Yes thanks xian,

getting a lot of questions? I guess the more I think about it he was asking for money from people so he could buy the rights and license of the Atari trademark? That might be a good marketing strategy for gcw sales but it seemed to me like he was more focused on about acquiring Atari abandon ware in his description, which I'm assuming has already expired trademark status, so asking for money aka opening. Kick starter is kind of pointless IMO. He should seek out some VC groups in the bay area. I am sure there are a few just dying to back easy quick turn around investments like this...

Last edited:

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
They dropped the project to buy out Atari since it wasn't well received. Good to hear that 1000 of them will be shipping out on the 26th, I hope mine will be included in the first batch of consoles. I'm still wondering when their going to open up the website so we can download the emulators. I hope they send them out a little at a time because I can see 1000 people all trying to get everything at the same time.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
They dropped the project to buy out Atari since it wasn't well received. Good to hear that 1000 of them will be shipping out on the 26th, I hope mine will be included in the first batch of consoles. I'm still wondering when their going to open up the website so we can download the emulators. I hope they send them out a little at a time because I can see 1000 people all trying to get everything at the same time.

I'm just glad they are shipping out around or near the time they originally scheduled. I'm still waiting for my Turrican soundtrack collection that keeps getting bumped back month after month after month.