GCW Zero - new retrogaming handheld looks great

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
I just discovered this reading the NGX thread. It's a new retrogaming handheld specifically aimed at open source development. Specs look very good, should be better than PSP for emulation, and it has TV output. Might be a nice device to own, moreso than the NGX methinks.

c587bfdb5183740ee7d23c991e931887_large.png

New info: They doubled the RAM and storage! :-)
2052896f4c58be3a37a30b92e1a70aa8_large.png

Latest Kickstarter status:

Homepage (updated to new version): http://www.gcw-zero.com/

GCW Zero Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gcw/gcw-zero-open-source-gaming-handheld

---

Found some interesting info on the OpenPandora forum; from a post by a GCW rep:

1. What is the current OS? The current OS is based on Linux 2.6 but will hopefully be
Open Dingux by release date.
2. What is the menu system? That is currently under wraps but we are working on a
Completely new menu system for it and hopefully will be done before release. If not
We may go to GMenu2x with permission of the developer of course.
3. There are two 1 GHz processors under clocked to 800 MHz with potential to over clock
To 1.2 GHz. It also has a FPU and a 3D GPU clocked at 496 MHz
4. Memory is 256MB DDR2 (They updated to 512MB!)
5. Internal Storage is 4GB but can be bumped to 8GB or 16GB by release date. (Update: it WILL have 16GB!)
6. External storage is MicroSD and capable of supporting 32GB MicroSD card we think
It can support 64GB but this has not been tested as of yet.
7. It has G-Sensor and Vibro shock built into the system.
8. The analog nub currently is mapped to duplicate D-pad moves but will be changed
To independent mapping so it can be used as separate controller
9. The console has HDMI out and Analog TV out and is capable of 1080P on the HDMI TV-out.
10. The console has Wi-Fi built in and is 802.11b/802.11g

I will wait for user impressions but it does sound good.

UPDATE: more info and links

NeoGeo games running well:

Some very good videos showing many emulators and games running on the actual system:

CPS3...
252624IMG11551.jpg

265951IMG11611.jpg

Reviews of early units:
http://boards.dingoonity.org/gcw-zero/gcw-zero/msg53959/#msg53959
http://boards.dingoonity.org/gcw-zero/gcw-zero-videos-and-reviews/msg53424/#msg53424

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I'm totally getting one of these.

As far as I can tell, hardware wise, its pretty similar to the NGX. I believe it uses the same Cpu/gpu.

However there are some differences:

Obviously it has a 4x3 ratio screen. Far better for old school 2d goodness
256 megabytes of ram vs the 128 megs in the NGX (I think it was confirmed at 128)
WiFi built in
Completely open OS so no need to haXor around just to get stuff loaded
Proper cross directional thumbpad (sorry NGX and CD pad fans)
Around $120 or so

IMHO once this thing gets out in the wild and easy to order, it's going to become the defacto standard. Excellent hardware at a great price is a winning combo.

Last edited:

barto

Overtop Pathfinder
wow good find!! ill have to keep an eye on this on the kickstarter webpage

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Proper cross directional thumbpad (sorry NGX and CD pad fans)
It's never easy to tell from a photo, but the dpad looks like it *might* be shit on this though, and if that IS the case, then it won't be worth getting imo.

Unfortunately, I'm one of those PPL who starts to like my consoles from the controller upwards - always starting with the dpad.

Needless to say, I never even looked twice at the GP2X.

Still, if the dpad on this IS good, it could be killer...

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
It's never easy to tell from a photo, but the dpad looks like it *might* be shit on this though, and if that IS the case, then it won't be worth getting imo.

Unfortunately, I'm one of those PPL who starts to like my consoles from the controller upwards - always starting with the dpad.

Needless to say, I never even looked twice at the GP2X.

Still, if the dpad on this IS good, it could be killer...

Check the reviews, some people already have units. By all accounts, the dpad is excellent, in fact build quality is said to be excellent in general. This is not just another cheapie Korean device. It's actually designed and sold by a guy from the USA who was very involved with selling Dingoos and such, but wanted to make something better, so he did. By all accounts he's a good guy, and well known in the Dingoo scene. Name is Justin IIRC. Pretty cool story actually, similar to what CraigX & EvilDragon did with Pandora years ago.

EDIT: Found a video reviewing the Zero dpad on a prototype unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROjSwxljxuY

Last edited:

yoshi41

Crazed MVS Addict
I have pre-ordered one of these first 150 SEs. Very promising device with good developer support. Let's see how good it runs CPS3 games. So far, the Pandora is still the best option.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It's actually designed and sold by a guy from the USA who was very involved with selling Dingoos and such, but wanted to make something better, so he did.

Interest +1!

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
I have pre-ordered one of these first 150 SEs. Very promising device with good developer support. Let's see how good it runs CPS3 games. So far, the Pandora is still the best option.

For CPS3, or in general? I'm pretty sure the Zero will be able to run CPS3 full speed once the devs optimize the emu. In fact I think the Zero's CPU is actually faster than Pandora, especially considering it's using a newer SOC.

Thing about Pandora is that it's kinda big and expensive. I actually like the relative simplicity and compactness of the Zero over the Pandora.

Last edited:

yoshi41

Crazed MVS Addict
For CPS3, or in general? I'm pretty sure the Zero will be able to run CPS3 full speed once the devs optimize the emu. In fact I think the Zero's CPU is actually faster than Pandora, especially considering it's using a newer SOC.

Thing about Pandora is that it's kinda big and expensive. I actually like the relative simplicity and compactness of the Zero over the Pandora.
Arcade games in general. The Pandora has a very nice port of FBA 0.2.97.24. Most other handhelds run older FBA versions. And newer MAME versions are too slow for handhelds. But sure, it's expensive and not as small as a Dingoo or GCW0.

I think the GCW0 will be a success, because it's supported by experienced Dingoo developers. That's what counts. The best hardware is nothing without optimized firmware/emulators. Good examples are GP32, GP2X and Dingoo.

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Damn, this looks pretty nice. And if the price is that $120 I've been hearing, forget about the Neo Geo X. No screwing around with trying to break the thing and make it work right. Instead you get something that works right from the word go. I'll be keeping my eye on this.

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Damn, this looks pretty nice. And if the price is that $120 I've been hearing, forget about the Neo Geo X. No screwing around with trying to break the thing and make it work right. Instead you get something that works right from the word go. I'll be keeping my eye on this.

Amen.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Correct ratio screen - hell yeah.

Hoping the D-pad doesn't suck also.

Kinda wish the button layout was 3 and 3 (esp. for Capcom fighters) instead of the usual 2 and 2 along with shoulder buttons. Minor historical gaming gripe of mine.

This handheld has made a great first impression all round - Tommo are you taking note?

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I was thinking about getting a second NGX when the standalone units became available in April, but I'll probably end up getting this instead. Looks nice and sounds like it plays nice. Does anybody know if it does two-player, and if so, how? Linked systems or attachable external controllers (best option, once hooked to a TV)?

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I pledged for one. Really excited about this little piece of hardware!

yoshi41

Crazed MVS Addict
Pledged for one too. I already ordered one of the 150 SEs. But this is an opensource handheld and worth supporting it. :)

The timeline is a bit aggressive. I really hope they reach the goal.

Piccolo_DBz

Astra,
Gonna sell some stuff to fund this project. This looks alot better then pandora and the dingo.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Over 10K in the first day!
If they keep this rate, it'll pass...but it still is ambitious!

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
30% to the goal now at ~$39,000. It's still a gamble whether or not they'll get funded, but I hope so.