Gamesack Neo-Geo aes&mvs Episode

sparksterz

Camel Slug
Sure, maybe only 50 people would see it, but if they were an interested and involved 50 people, I'd rather have that than a couple thousand.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Didn't know that joe and dave were doing this youtube stuff full time as a job, good luck to them if they are, at least the stuff they make is watchable and mildly entertaining.
They've started doing stuff on final boss's as well, and they're doing retro game conventions too, hell why not, they may as well ride the game sack wave while it last's.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Make videos because it's a fun creative outlet instead of worrying about how many people are going to watch it.

jtucci31

n00b
I always liked CGR, but to me it's just him showcasing a game and talking about it, rather than actually reviewing it. As you said, it's all he could do when he was cranking them out that fast. I was more of a fan of his earlier work.
One of CGR's old videos was him waiting all day at work to get a Sega Saturn off of Craigslist. Half the video was him making comments like "Is a tree really a tree when I don't have a Sega Saturn?".

I always thought he was pretty funny at times, though I agree that those older videos are better in some sense.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
One of CGR's old videos was him waiting all day at work to get a Sega Saturn off of Craigslist. Half the video was him making comments like "Is a tree really a tree when I don't have a Sega Saturn?".

I always thought he was pretty funny at times, though I agree that those older videos are better in some sense.

I remember that video. And also agree that it's not really him reviewing games, but if I'm curious what a game is about, I'll go to YT, type it in and if there's a CGR video of it, I'll watch that over the rest.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member

I remember that video. I thought it was pretty cool because you also got a glimpse into some behind-the-scenes stuff of his original setup. Back then he was still in the same office or whatever that FromUSALive (where the show was originally available in 99-00) was based out of. I think his dad might have owned that building or something, because I think after the FromUSALive site died, Mark kept using that facility to produce his documentary films. Not sure why he ended up moving to the little mini-storage place before finally moving again to his current location.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Worked for pewdiepie, multi millionaire from literally just playing video games and shooting the shit about them.

He had the worst response about people using AdBlock - "It has consequences" or something like that. Meanwhile he makes more money than anyone.

Stop bitching, you have enough money.

Mouse_Master

Support your local Sheriff, ,
Staff member
Yes Dave quit his fed ex job, but its not like he had this top notch job. If hes able to support himself and his family with the money from gamesack, I say fucking go for it. worse comes to worse, he gets a new job.

Out of curiosity, does anyone have a source for this? I figured he was still working because you can tell from the weekly episodes that Joe puts in more time that Dave for presentations.

Haven't made it to the Neo Geo episode yet, usually watch Game Sack during lunch, about a couple weeks behind.....

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Out of curiosity, does anyone have a source for this? I figured he was still working because you can tell from the weekly episodes that Joe puts in more time that Dave for presentations.

Haven't made it to the Neo Geo episode yet, usually watch Game Sack during lunch, about a couple weeks behind.....

I was just basing that off of what JibbaJaba stated. I have no proof of it. What people seem to think is these guys quit their jobs and started the youtube thing to make money. It didn't work that way. They were established on youtube, and making enough money, then decided to quit their job(s)

madman

Worked for pewdiepie, multi millionaire from literally just playing video games and shooting the shit about them.

I don't know who that is, but sure, it happens. Dropping out of high school to start a band can also lead to fame and money, but that's a small fraction of the time.

I might just be too old to get this whole Internet celebrity thing or posting shit for "likes" or using an Instagram account to shill products for money.

Last edited:

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Of course it's an unlikely career path. But like you said with the band example, unlikely career paths have always been around and people have always pursued them. The internet is just giving us new ones.

EDIT: and be careful looking up pewdiepie, you'll cringe and maybe even rage at the thought that he makes millions if you watch one of his videos...

Last edited:

madman

EDIT: and be careful looking up pewdiepie, you'll cringe and maybe even rage at the thought that he makes millions if you watch one of his videos...

I Googled and saw "Bro Army" in his wikipedia summary and stopped reading. That was all I needed to know.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
I was just basing that off of what JibbaJaba stated. I have no proof of it. What people seem to think is these guys quit their jobs and started the youtube thing to make money. It didn't work that way. They were established on youtube, and making enough money, then decided to quit their job(s)

I can't remember where I read it, but that info about Dave quitting his job came straight from Joe. I think he posted it in the Game Sack thread on the PCEFX forums.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
I can't remember where I read it, but that info about Dave quitting his job came straight from Joe. I think he posted it in the Game Sack thread on the PCEFX forums.

Ahh ok. Well like i said. He decided to quit his job after having an established youtube channel knowing the amount of money he brings in. Of course that can change, and job security is very important. But I'm sure if things took a turn he could just get a new job

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Like i said in an earlier post good luck to them, they've been doing it, for what, 3-4 years, they seem genuine retro gamers who know they're stuff (most of the time) and they come across as tidy fella's.
Pewdie on the other hand is a real money orientated bell end, he's not in the slightest bit funny or informative, the only thing he's good at is fucking about on photoshop.
Another one is markiplier, not half as bad as pew but still bloody annoying and "like me" mad.
I'd never heard of either of these two untill i youtubed stuff about the oculous rift out of curiosity like 18 months ago and watched a few of they're vids, fucking big mistake.

Steve

The Wonder Years,
Not sure if it's wise to quit one's day job for a youtube career, but more power to them if they can do that. I do know looking at their Patreon page that they make at least a decent chunk of change "on the side" with $500+ a month from over 200 fans.

https://www.patreon.com/GameSack?ty=h

Looking at the description on the page it looks like Dave hasn't quit his day job just yet

Way more (and better) Game Sack

$5,000 per month

With this absolutely insane goal that we don't even dream of reaching, Dave can quit his job which he is extremely hesitant to do. This of course means lots more Game Sack since this would be his full time job. It also means we can work together instead of apart which increases the quality of the show. There wouldn't be any technical issues with his game captures, for example and I have much higher quality capturing abilities here and I'm very familiar with it. Anything requiring a retake could be done which usually isn't possible. We'd keep at it until we got it right even if that means shooting again after the episode is edited to fix that one little thing that bothers us

madman

Not sure if it's wise to quit one's day job for a youtube career, but more power to them if they can do that. I do know looking at their Patreon page that they make at least a decent chunk of change "on the side" with $500+ a month from over 200 fans.

https://www.patreon.com/GameSack?ty=h

Looking at the description on the page it looks like Dave hasn't quit his day job just yet
FWIW, that page also refers to "this year" as 2014.

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
I think their Patreon said that Dave would quit his job if someone backed 5,000 per month or something

(EDIT) Didn't read far enough down the thread. Disregard pls

IrishNinja

Kuroko's Training Dummy
watching now - it's cool that Joe had an AES in the day, are there any more knowledgeable YT videos for SNK stuff though? gonna hit up that Gaming Historian soon.

also quitting your day job for fulltime videos is...bold. even Mark from CGR didn't want to stay at that, as others pointed out - and he's been at it forever.

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
watching now - it's cool that Joe had an AES in the day, are there any more knowledgeable YT videos for SNK stuff though? gonna hit up that Gaming Historian soon.

also quitting your day job for fulltime videos is...bold. even Mark from CGR didn't want to stay at that, as others pointed out - and he's been at it forever.

Mark has a lot more competition for people's attention nowadays. I think that's part of the reason he cut Undertow from the mix. Since doing that he has really been cranking out CGR videos like no other lately.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
These very cretins who many of you address by name (!?) are slowly strangling the life out of this hobby.

Keep supporting them, right!?