Game scalper horror stories?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Thanks LWK. You're a nut.

edit: a brick store video game owner where they'd be lucky to get ten bucks a day VS someone selling gowcaizer for four thousand and five hundred, that's 4,500, dollars. who's the villain.

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I went to a local independent used game store the other day, looked around and was surprised at some prices:

$20 for Nes controller
$159 for Mars Matrix on DC
$50 for a GC
$35 for Kid Iccarus
$50 for Tyson Punch out

was like WAT!!!!

Then they had Space Harrier 2 for $10

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
There are 2 game stores near me. One in my town has shit prices makes shit deals and bases his prices off amazon or higher based on title.

The guy in another town prices fairly usually beats any online store always willing to barter and all around decent guy. Snowy Day Games.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Thanks LWK. You're a nut.

edit: a brick store video game owner where they'd be lucky to get ten bucks a day VS someone selling gowcaizer for four thousand and five hundred, that's 4,500, dollars. who's the villain.

I'm a nut? Did I sell Gowcaizer? No. Like some US home carts can be compared to common ass SNES games that many like Earthbound are in high demand, but not rare. Who does Gowcaizer hurt? I'm sure people are bursting at the seams to play that turd. Reference me even one example of a US Gowcaizer selling in the last few years at a good price, or even one example at all. Or even better, go around this site and track everything I've ever done and find ONE example where I ever sold one game. Calling me a villain on this subject is flat out uninformed, and it still doesn't change the fact that blanket pricing common games for 30$ to 50$ is annoying, especially when said thrift store gets everything free.

Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
He's not bad. Bit of a vendetta against price gougers. But I think that's inherent in game collecting. Especially when you consider how cheap things were 10-15 years ago.

I don't really hate GameStop these days. They don't deal in older stuff anymore. I hate the local game shops. There's one back in Austin called game over. I r em ember chatting to one of their managers. They had a policy where they didn't pay more than 10 bucks for used games. They just wouldn't do it. Didn't matter the game. This was after I had bought a game off someone in the store who was looking to trade in. He had Mario RPG and knew it was worth more than 10'dollars. I whipped out a twenty and was like I'll take it off you right now. And did, and still have the game. Needless to say the manager behind the counter wasn't happy with me. But after I found out how they operate, well I wished they were out of business haven't set foot in there since.

There's another place here in Dublin that's the exact same setup. Overpriced old games, tight wallet for trades, and because there's not many others like it here they know that you're either buying there and trying your luck online. Hate them, and also wish them ill.

That pretty much covers it. I don't like what NintendoAge and their like minded types have caused over the last 5-6 years. I got into old games second hand in 1995 and as it is currently (and it's fair to say bitter about it) I don't buy old Nintendo cartridge console video games anymore as it just gets me angry because of that stuff, and now that it is even infecting new off the shelf stuff, it gives me flash backs to being a kid in the early 90s and seeing my 2 hobbies ripped away from me because my paltry allowance couldn't keep up with assholes gouging left and right so it has been a life long hatred for shit stains like that so I don't pull punches. To see video games getting the screws now decades later bugs me a lot. I diverted into handheld gaming, and other stuff instead to keep my attention instead.

I used to hate Gamestop, but it was pointless so I don't care anymore. As it is, a local one here or there I'll respect if they at least don't throw away the complete package on older stuff just to peddle the game so I'll happily spend money at that location. There's one local (thankfully the closest of the lot) here that keeps all packaging materials so I'll go there semi-regularly to see what comes in for the Nintendo DS and if I don't have it/want it I'll buy and I did with Phantasy Star 0 which is fantastic.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Love handheld gaming ❤️

That pretty much covers it. I don't like what NintendoAge and their like minded types have caused over the last 5-6 years. I got into old games second hand in 1995 and as it is currently (and it's fair to say bitter about it) I don't buy old Nintendo cartridge console video games anymore as it just gets me angry because of that stuff, and now that it is even infecting new off the shelf stuff, it gives me flash backs to being a kid in the early 90s and seeing my 2 hobbies ripped away from me because my paltry allowance couldn't keep up with assholes gouging left and right so it has been a life long hatred for shit stains like that so I don't pull punches. To see video games getting the screws now decades later bugs me a lot. I diverted into handheld gaming, and other stuff instead to keep my attention instead.

I used to hate Gamestop, but it was pointless so I don't care anymore. As it is, a local one here or there I'll respect if they at least don't throw away the complete package on older stuff just to peddle the game so I'll happily spend money at that location. There's one local (thankfully the closest of the lot) here that keeps all packaging materials so I'll go there semi-regularly to see what comes in for the Nintendo DS and if I don't have it/want it I'll buy and I did with Phantasy Star 0 which is fantastic.

I'm starting to look at more Nintendo DS games too. I noticed my local game shop has tons of games to choose from, I still want to pick up Diddy Kong Racing DS and Viva Pinata. DS games are nice because they don't take up so much space.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Yeah they don't it's a sound choice as most of them are still well under original retail, even the decent to good stuff like the notable franchise games on DS. Outside of a few weird outliers plus maybe the POkemon games (only now because of the Pokemon Go effect hitting all eras of it) they're good buys. Same can be said for loose Gameboy (any) and Game Gear games too if you like to have small space eating solid games that don't cost you a kidney donation to get stuff. :)

I haven't been down to that mall in a couple of weeks so I should go peek and see if something rotated in there. I only slowly got back into DS this spring as I had this mega pick at an out of town neighborhood garage sale in this rich set of homes. They had tables of stuff out and for around $40 I got a red 3ds xl in a great case with 5 games (1 3DS NSMB2, 3 were DS CIB and 1 CB) along with also mario kart for gc and a few GBA titles too. I remembered how much I enjoyed some Ds stuff and some I never got around so I have been measured about it but cherry pick a few things here and there I like and they're all cheap. The worst was $20 for PSZero and I think $15-20 for Chrono Trigger. I ended up snapping up Metal Slug 7(fun), Trace Memory, Hotel Dusk, Clubhouse Games, DQH Rocket Slime, Custom Robo, both metroid games, SMB, Zelda(Phantom Hourglass), Lionel Trains(awful looking clone of Railroad Tycoon 1), and Orcs & Elves so far. Between the highs and lows I'd say in at around $10/avg on them which is awesome.

I could say the same for Game Gear games I've picked up since April/May this year too loose and that one only has 2 high priced US releases (Mega Man $80-100) and Urban Strike ($50+) loose, everything else is like $1-20, mostly on the 10 and under level if you want something fun to experiment with.

It's kind of sad but for all the groaning I see on here about MVS prices going up, coming off my distaste of the damage done to NES/SNES/N64 cart games price wise they come off seeming reasonable if not cheap.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
He's not bad. Bit of a vendetta against price gougers. But I think that's inherent in game collecting. Especially when you consider how cheap things were 10-15 years ago.

I don't really hate GameStop these days. They don't deal in older stuff anymore. I hate the local game shops. There's one back in Austin called game over. I r em ember chatting to one of their managers. They had a policy where they didn't pay more than 10 bucks for used games. They just wouldn't do it. Didn't matter the game. This was after I had bought a game off someone in the store who was looking to trade in. He had Mario RPG and knew it was worth more than 10'dollars. I whipped out a twenty and was like I'll take it off you right now. And did, and still have the game. Needless to say the manager behind the counter wasn't happy with me. But after I found out how they operate, well I wished they were out of business haven't set foot in there since.

There's another place here in Dublin that's the exact same setup. Overpriced old games, tight wallet for trades, and because there's not many others like it here they know that you're either buying there and trying your luck online. Hate them, and also wish them ill.

Game Over Video Games actually has expanded to here in San Antonio. I don't know how they operate with their trade-ins but their prices on more popular retro games is still fucking high. I see popular PS1 games in a glass case on display for sale. Every time I look at them I just think how much cheaper I can find the same games online. I know Box stores have to make some kind of a profit margin so I just chalk it off to that and move on.

Truth be told I like the store here in San Antonio. The guys working there are nice and laid back plus sometimes I usually dig around for cheap games & I don't mind spending a few extra bucks on if I see something that catches my eye.

As far as games and what I like, I'm seriously into my Gamecube obviously. While I've thought about going nuts and getting a complete U.S. collection of games, I've been really only buying games that I've wanted to play. At this time I've nearing the 100 mark in Gamecube games I've bought over the years and thankfully I got all the pricy games in my collection before they got inflated. Well, I never picked up "Poke'mon Box" but that just didn't seem worth it to me since it wasn't really a "Game" in my eyes.

I kept skipping over a few game series I've wanted to play but I finally scored a copy of Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2 in new condition for only $29.00 with S&H so yeah I'm looking forward to playing these for the 1st time.

I'm pretty sure sooner or later Gamecube shit is going to see a rise in prices which makes me sad since I think a lot of people would enjoy the system for what it is. If anything I would suggest some people who've never had a chance to try the system seriously out should give it a second look. So many great games to choose from and enjoy.

Tanooki, Keep posting the way you post. I like reading what you have to say.

Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I've not let people clam me up before so no worries, but I admittedly go a bit off the rails at times just by typing, not getting worked up though, when it comes to this topic. I just dislike the abuse is all, retro or modern (just watch how the classic nes hdmi mini console goes this christmas.)

Either way, I think I may see if I can slide by a few stores today including that mall spot and hope I can find a nice DS game I want off my short list I lack, even if it's just a $5 gem like Starfy. I think my little girl would appreciate that one too as she loves Kirby and they're similar.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Truth be told I like the store here in San Antonio. The guys working there are nice and laid back plus sometimes I usually dig around for cheap games & I don't mind spending a few extra bucks on if I see something that catches my eye.

I like the one over by Bandera. Trading in is only worth it if you're willing to take store credit. The difference between credit and cash is pretty steep.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Is Demon's Crest even rare? They couldn't move that game for 20$ new at stores when I was a kid.

No one bought it, so it became rare.

Dollar signs after numbers. making me dizzy!

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I like the one over by Bandera. Trading in is only worth it if you're willing to take store credit. The difference between credit and cash is pretty steep.

Yeah that's the one I goto if I'm looking for anything.