Game scalper horror stories?

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
I remember when working there that someone bought the deluxe edition of Madden '09. He hated it and traded it in. We gave him $5 for it and sold it for $55.

Sports games, even current year, are relatively worthless to places like Gamestop (and in perpetuity in general). My favorite was $25 credit for the PS2 version of MvC2, reselling as used for $125.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
The shitty thing is I live near one of the coolest thrift stores on the planet. This was the place I picked up chrono trigger and demon's crest for 5$ each. I also got a valkyrie profile psx for like 2.99$. The discs played through the entire game. Hella good score. Now when you go there, someone did some research, so I'm not surprised when it is 30$ per snes game. I think it's even been as high as 50$. Just bad knowledge pricing for this stuff.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I had fun playing a bunch of reseller punks against each other over a craigslist listing in San Diego about 5 years ago. This guy had put up this lot on there with a SNES and almost 20 games for around $150 I think it was. Anyway it was one pull back image of the system, all the parts, and the games lined up stickers forward in 3 columns. I saw it within maybe 10min of going live and tried to call the dude and this is where it gets interesting. I was already the third person to call and his mail box was already filling up. I was friendly and just let him know I was interested but had to see if I had the dough I'd call back (which I did like 10min later) but I let him know as I already figured it was a lost cause why it was so popular. I told him the game in the front row was worth $80 (Mega Man X3) and felt he should know if someone tries to just snake that one and he was surprised and appreciative. I warned him he's going to get a lot more busy.

When I found I could wrangle the funds I called back, got hung up on when I started to talk, called again, picked up and the dude was snappy and before he clicked I let him know it was me. I asked, trouble? In 10min his voice mail box was overloaded and broken, his email lit up like a christmas tree from repeated emails from multiple people and the phone off the hook. I told him again that was there and he has other stuff that was worth at least $10 or more a piece for half (that I could make out.) I apologized for his trouble letting him know how many resellers were in the area, very predatory and I said I bet they tried to offer you $10 for the 'game in front' probably not naming it and he said yes, some less, some just a little more and only wanting that. He told me ultimately that he'd ask more, but it was his brothers stuff, and he asked him again and that's all he wanted and since I was the only one being honest and nice about it I can have it so I agreed (which surprised me.) Further surprise, he offered to drive it the 20min car ride over into my general area too as he was fuming over the people trying to lie and trick him. We met up and he was firm on price, and I ended up finding out there was also King of Dragons (that capcom arcade game port) in there along with that MMX3. He was like you can keep it, resell it, or whatever, but enjoy it. In the end I kept almost all of it, just a few of the common 1st party games and bad movie license titles (like Hook) I traded out.

I hate piece of shit resellers like that who lie and try to defraud people when it's already a good deal so I was pretty happy about the situation. Shitheads like that is why around that time I had already stopped checking CL actively and gave up because there were at least 6 regular local/ebay/amazon resellers in that direct area and far more if you go county wide. They ruined the place so I quit using it about a year earlier other than to check when bored so it was dumb luck.

I loved the fact I got the info to that guy and let them all end up attacking each other trying to scoop up his goods while also trying to lie to a now informed seller causing them to get run off and told off for their shitty tactics. :D

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I wish I would have bought the copy from blockbuster years ago. I actually love that version of the game. Thank god for the Everdrive.

Great version of a great game. I actually have a copy in box, not sure if I have the manual. Only "rarez" game I own.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Craigslist is trouble. The scene is not huge here but there are 3 guys in the area that post everyday in the selling ads for wants from Nintendo/Sega era.

Pisses me off there is a want ad section but these dumb fuck resellers are too retarded. Plus its hit or miss with they either flake or double the price after you agree to the listings.

I did score my vectrex with cart for a hundo and my commodore 64 with tons of extras modem and monitor for 40 bucks. So not all bad experiences.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Practically every first party Nintendo game.
There are 100,000's-millions of these printed, why aren't they $10?

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Because it's trendy hipster and wannabe retro kid bait right now. It's going through the collecting pains of comics and baseball cards at the dawn of the 1990s. You're getting lots of buyers who flip, lots of fools who pay whatever the price is without think and it's a downward spiral circlejerk to the bottom. Just like 25 years ago people are opening up a lot of physical (and now with the net) and online shops to pray on the uninformed with disposable income. No one can say how long it will take but in time they'll start slowly pricing out the kids (and their parents), the teens, eventually the adults who have other financial responsibilities and it will collapse. When you start seeing an influx of resellers scooping up quitters stock of games it will implode.

Same shit with the comics and cards, towards the end the most common stuff including the freshly released comics and cards would be opened up (or left sealed/packaged) and turned for a profit over list because enough of them scoop up the stock actual consumers can't get to it first. You'll see these fuckery fools pull this shit here in another month from today when the Classic NES Mini Console comes out for $60. All the online sources supposedly that pre-sold went through fast and non-limited it to 1 or 2 a person so people pulled out their savings/credit cards. Already one piece of shit on ebay has one up there as a pre-sell for $1000 (seriously go look.) I'd love to see people like that covered in gasoline and having one of their should have been victims throwing the lit match. It will end up like the Wii back in 2006 and 07 when they all got bought up and the $200/250 system was selling for $500+ actively due to desperate people trying to fulfill Christmas wishes and Santa requests.

Edit -- Found it: www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Classic-M...30-GAMES-Built-In-USA-VERSION-US/232109763055

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I've never bothered to read a Tanooki post.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Just about every Nintendoage sell thread, I mean FO.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Same shit with the comics and cards, towards the end the most common stuff including the freshly released comics and cards would be opened up (or left sealed/packaged) and turned for a profit over list because enough of them scoop up the stock actual consumers can't get to it first. You'll see these fuckery fools pull this shit here in another month from today when the Classic NES Mini Console comes out for $60. All the online sources supposedly that pre-sold went through fast and non-limited it to 1 or 2 a person so people pulled out their savings/credit cards. Already one piece of shit on ebay has one up there as a pre-sell for $1000 (seriously go look.) I'd love to see people like that covered in gasoline and having one of their should have been victims throwing the lit match. It will end up like the Wii back in 2006 and 07 when they all got bought up and the $200/250 system was selling for $500+ actively due to desperate people trying to fulfill Christmas wishes and Santa requests.

Edit -- Found it: www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Classic-M...30-GAMES-Built-In-USA-VERSION-US/232109763055

Calm the fuck down. I hate scalpers, but if anyone is stupid enough to buy the NES Classic Mini for a G you should save the match for them.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
I've never bothered to read a Tanooki post.

He's not bad. Bit of a vendetta against price gougers. But I think that's inherent in game collecting. Especially when you consider how cheap things were 10-15 years ago.

I don't really hate GameStop these days. They don't deal in older stuff anymore. I hate the local game shops. There's one back in Austin called game over. I r em ember chatting to one of their managers. They had a policy where they didn't pay more than 10 bucks for used games. They just wouldn't do it. Didn't matter the game. This was after I had bought a game off someone in the store who was looking to trade in. He had Mario RPG and knew it was worth more than 10'dollars. I whipped out a twenty and was like I'll take it off you right now. And did, and still have the game. Needless to say the manager behind the counter wasn't happy with me. But after I found out how they operate, well I wished they were out of business haven't set foot in there since.

There's another place here in Dublin that's the exact same setup. Overpriced old games, tight wallet for trades, and because there's not many others like it here they know that you're either buying there and trying your luck online. Hate them, and also wish them ill.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Now when you go there, someone did some research, so I'm not surprised when it is 30$ per snes game. I think it's even been as high as 50$. Just bad knowledge pricing for this stuff.

so you buy games.below market value its.cool

then you buy games at.market.price (is 30 for demos crest expensive?.no) you whine about it?

human nature

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
He's not bad. Bit of a vendetta against price gougers. But I think that's inherent in game collecting. Especially when you consider how cheap things were 10-15 years ago.

I don't really hate GameStop these days. They don't deal in older stuff anymore. I hate the local game shops. There's one back in Austin called game over. I r em ember chatting to one of their managers. They had a policy where they didn't pay more than 10 bucks for used games. They just wouldn't do it. Didn't matter the game. This was after I had bought a game off someone in the store who was looking to trade in. He had Mario RPG and knew it was worth more than 10'dollars. I whipped out a twenty and was like I'll take it off you right now. And did, and still have the game. Needless to say the manager behind the counter wasn't happy with me. But after I found out how they operate, well I wished they were out of business haven't set foot in there since.

There's another place here in Dublin that's the exact same setup. Overpriced old games, tight wallet for trades, and because there's not many others like it here they know that you're either buying there and trying your luck online. Hate them, and also wish them ill.

Re: Tanooki, yeah, he beats on the same drums, but otherwise not bad. Agree with you, Kim, price gouging is inherent in game collecting. Everyone likes a good deal and everyone would like to sell for a fair value, but the scales have changed on what things are going for.

I don't hate Gamestop, either. I sell my stuff there that's not worth spending time selling on forums (low value or the pain of shipping), or I sell it at a local store. Sucks to hear about Game Over, though. The Houston location gets raved about, but I've never been. I see they sell their stuff at FMV, but generally don't go over the top.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member

then you buy games at.market.price (is 30 for demos crest expensive?.no) you whine about it?

human nature

you talk like new age zen. you've been infected with china. now its my turn......

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member

human nature

You completely missed the point of my post. You wanna spend 30 or 50 for madden snes?
When you state 30$ for demon's crest, that is a very manipulative reply about things. Do you seriously believe I've ever seen another demon's crest there for 30$?

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
You completely missed the point of my post. You wanna spend 30 or 50 for madden snes?

if there were people willing to spend 30 or 50 for madden snes i would absolutely and without remorse sell it to them for 30 or 50. if i were a brick n mortar game shop.

on the same hand i rememberold games that would sit for years upon years on shelves in the old game shop i'd go to (the owner would eventually go on to set fire to the store to make a big insurance claim, unsuccessfully) with high prices no one'd be willing to buy.

Nah I get your post perfectly. Life is great for you when you buy rare games for cheap, and you get pissy when game in an actual physical store get too expensive for you, sure.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
if there were people willing to spend 30 or 50 for madden snes i would absolutely and without remorse sell it to them for 30 or 50. if i were a brick n mortar game shop.

on the same hand i rememberold games that would sit for years upon years on shelves in the old game shop i'd go to (the owner would eventually go on to set fire to the store to make a big insurance claim, unsuccessfully) with high prices no one'd be willing to buy.

Nah I get your post perfectly. Life is great for you when you buy rare games for cheap, and you get pissy when game in an actual physical store get too expensive for you, sure.

the fabled retrosexual double standard

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member

Really? I do? When was the last time you were at a game store with me to make that claim? Is Demon's Crest even rare? They couldn't move that game for 20$ new at stores when I was a kid. If you are okay selling madden snes for 30$ to 50$ to some new collector, why are you even posting in this thread? That's just not cool, and I'll bitch all day about thrift stores who pretend to know the value of things and blanket price all stuff super high because they won't research it. Believe it or not, I buy games for high prices. I think I spent 120$ or so for Mega Man 7 snes some time back. You don't get it though, because you set your own narrative.

Last edited: