Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS)

Linkloz

n00b
Looks like canadian ebgames are selling fire emblem as of today. Shipments arrived and apparently nintendo gave them the go ahead. Picked mine up earlier this evening.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
Last edited:

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I just picked mine up this morning, but I'm working 12 hrs today and can't play until late tonight...arrrggghhhh! I had a look through the artbook on lunch though and it is gorgeous; the character designs are perfect! I'm so excited to play tonight, Magician, please, for the love of all that's good, get the game and put something else on the back burner instead!!

ghibben

Zero's Secretary
I wasn't really interested until I played the demo. Now it's at the top of my list.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
I'm pretty much an RPG novice and have never touched this series before. After playing the demo, I'm pretty damn intrigued. The combat seems like I could ease into it over time and there's nothing really complicated-looking about it.

Magician

20 Year Member
My download just finished. Good god, 8,500+ blocks?! There must be lots of cutscenes. Anywho, this'll be my first Fire Emblem experience. I'll definitely be playing on normal, and perma-death is staying on aswell.

Lets get it started.

betterdavid

Mr. Big's Thug
Didn't know that there was a demo. Gonna have to check that out when I get home.

chipperkwah

Armored Scrum Object
Downloaded at midnight, took forever. Finding it to be fairly tough. 3D looks great on the battle map

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
this is a system-seller

it doesn't differ too much from the Fire Emblem formula (which is fine), but the level of polish and presentation are just top-notch

the most impressive aspect to me are the cutscenes

it's been a long time since i've been impressed with cutscene visuals but these have a very interesting style and are damn pretty to look at it and very fun to watch

A+ title right here

Magician

20 Year Member
First Impressions

Alright, I've played up to chapter three and completed one side mission. Straight away the presentation dazzles. The still-art style reminds me of the Valkyria Chronicles series I love so much. However, the cutscenes are console-worthy.

The story throws you into what I assume is the second of three acts. Your created character and the protagonist Chrom are up against...some evil wizard. You and Chrom put the wizard near death when the wizard suddenly casts a soul transfer spell on your created character. Now under the wizard's control, you apparently turn on Chrom and kill him.

Raise curtain, game truely begins. Your character (with amnesia) is awoken in a field by Chrom, his sister Lissa, and the royal guard Frederick.

The first few chapters have been tutorials. Introducing systems, combat concepts, and strategies. I can see the grind ahead down the road. The need for a team of well rounded characters is quite obvious as specialty units are often singled out and targeted first by enemies.

And lastly, how about that audio? I don't know who the composer is for this game off the top of my head. But I must admit that person has done some wonderful work here. The music is doing an awesome job of pulling me in.

I'll certainly be playing more tomorrow night.

Last edited:

chipperkwah

Armored Scrum Object
I'm having kind of a weird issue. I set the audio to japanese at the main menu, and it updates my save. When I load up my game, all is well and the audio is indeed in japanese. However, as soon as I reset the game or turn the system off, the audio is reset back to english. BUT, when I go into the settings the game still says that the audio is set to japanese, and asks me if I would like to set it to english. Anyone else having this issue?

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Hard + Classic Mode = me resetting whenever i lose a party member

bayu3008

n00b
I have the same audio issue. The only resolution would be to set the audio back to English and then back to Japanese and then play the game.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
may have to give up my idea of playing Classic without losing anyone or it's likely i'll never finish this game

i was having fun trying my best to keep people alive and restarting if they died, but playing this on Hard coupled with the fact that i'm not the best Strategy gamer out there would make this damn near impossible

Magician

20 Year Member
I'm up to chapter six now. The size of the battles are getting larger. With each passing chapter I can feel the weight of my choices in combat becoming heavier. I've only had to restart a couple encounters but I think I'll be doing it more often fairly soon.

Great stuff so far.

chipperkwah

Armored Scrum Object
I've enjoyed the 3D, maybe turning it on 30% of the time and ALWAYS during cutscenes. They look especially cool in 3D.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I heard something about certain DLC being free for the first week, like Marth, but you have to get through Mission 5 before you have access to any of it. Is this true?

chipperkwah

Armored Scrum Object
I heard something about certain DLC being free for the first week, like Marth, but you have to get through Mission 5 before you have access to any of it. Is this true?

It is true, I downloaded it but haven't messed around with it at all yet. I have no idea how long it will be available for free though.

Magician

20 Year Member

The free bonuses for purchasing the game are:

Team - Fire Emblem
Challengers - Virion's Archest and Lon'qu's Blades
Map - Champions of Yore 1

The map is available for free until March 6th.

betterdavid

Mr. Big's Thug
What's the best way to know what bonuses your units will get for being adjacent to another unit? Like +10 hit etc.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I'm playing on Hard, and it's more challenging than i was expecting, but the gameplay and the relationship building between characters feels more rewarding than in any other Fire Emblem imo. I played the DLC a couple of days ago and I love the idea that you can keep revisiting it to grind out EXP if you're having trouble with a story mission. I think I'm on chapter 8 or 9 atm, and the battles are getting pretty interesting. I'm also liking the Paralogue missions that have stipulations woven into the short stories that they enact.
I don't know if portable games are ever considered for GOTY, but this one should be; best game purchase I've made in a long time.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
i realized two things last night:

1) this is one of my favorite handheld titles ever

and

2) i am absolutely terrible at it