Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn beta sign ups, Opening CG

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I'm assuming a higher block rate would be preferable to block amount?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Yeah. go with Block rate over Block amount. Mitigating less damage more often is better than occasionally mitigating more damage in this game.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
According to Magic Box, S-E sees financial gains due to success of FF XIV: ARR:

Square Enix has upward revised its earing forecast due to better than expected earnings from Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. The net sales have increased from 59 to 61.7 billion yen, and the operating profit will be up from a 2 billion yen loss to a 4.7 billion yen profit.

People, like Marcus Beer the Annoyed Gamer, are bitching about the pay subscription model. While I wouldn't complain if the game were free, S-E had already stated that the first build of FF XIV was more sucessful when they updated it and went to a pay-to-play model. Now we're seeing that, at least for S-E's profit margins and operating costs, they were wise to stick with what works for them.

Best Final Fantasy game in years.

YEARS.

Last edited:

saner

Krauser's Henchman
Well Final Fantasy Type 0 counts too, it's a shame people overlooked it. I blame Tabata for choosing PSP over PS3, but on the bright side, with the lower hardware and standards expectations, they were able to do less with more, putting FFX, XII and the FFXIIIs to shame. But if anything deserves a console HD remaster or a proper PS4 quality visual upgrade (more than Final Fantasy VII) it's FF Type 0.

It's great FFXIV ARR is successful, the F2p model wouldn't have produced this much quality and potential updates, it would have sank just like
Dragon Ball Online recently closed down, and even if it held on with a F2P cult following, it's overall growth and expansion would be nothing compared to FFXI Online. It would just be a hollow mmo like DCUO or something that has no incentive to expand like GW2.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I hate the F2P model.

I'm level 36. Have yet to fight Titan - waiting for my crew to catch up. I'm over-leveled from grinding out Fates and Grand Company Leves to get those Company seals. I really enjoy the Grand Companies. I've yet to join a free company. Can you be in more than one free company?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Decent game but not good enough to make me keep p(l)aying.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I'm curious, what's a current MMO you would pay to play?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Still playing WoW because friends play it and none of them were interested in FF14. They also all own shit PCs.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Friends is why I play FFXIV. I'll be interested to see the endgame content. It's kind of hard to play FFXIV because I'm prepared to devote more time, and i'm more in to min-maxing, etc than they are.

Ah well, at least my Chocobo has some sweet armor.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
My party just got trounced at Bayflox's Longstop. We run PLD (that's me), WHM, BRD + a random DPS.

It just wasn't happening.

The amount of damage I was taking was scary. I'm leveled synced in this dungeon (It's a lvl 32 dungeon) and I have level appropriate gear. So I'm pretty sure that gear wasn't the problem.

WHM said she couldn't keep up on the healing/was running out of MP. Perhaps the WHM wasoverhealing when I didn't need it? Not sure...might run the dungeon with 3 randoms to see if it's me who is the shitty party member.

Couple times I know people were not attacking the targets in the correct order...That's always fun.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
My party just got trounced at Bayflox's Longstop. We run PLD (that's me), WHM, BRD + a random DPS.

It just wasn't happening.

The amount of damage I was taking was scary. I'm leveled synced in this dungeon (It's a lvl 32 dungeon) and I have level appropriate gear. So I'm pretty sure that gear wasn't the problem.

WHM said she couldn't keep up on the healing/was running out of MP. Perhaps the WHM wasoverhealing when I didn't need it? Not sure...might run the dungeon with 3 randoms to see if it's me who is the shitty party member.

Couple times I know people were not attacking the targets in the correct order...That's always fun.

Was it the last boss you were having trouble with? Or did you get stopped before? I've run that dungeon about 30 times (various reasons), so I might be able to give you some pointers if you tell me where you hit the wall.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
We had trouble on every encounter, so I think it was just a teamwork issue in general. I'm not playing with the most hardcore of gamers and it seems the difficulty ramps up on this one.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
When fighting the regular groups of mobs, sleep the adds and go after the biggest one first. Mark them in order before you spring Shield Lob. If you don't have sleep, your healer needs to be on top of their game.

When fighting first boss, the adds need to die fast. Tank should hold boss. DD kill adds.

Second boss fight is where the goblin appears half way through with a mob chasing him. Tank and spank until the second mob attacks. Then the first boss should be slept, if possible, and everyone swtich to the second boss. The goblin will randomly do Grenade Toss where one of the party members is standing. Get out of the AOE as fast as possible once he does. Kill the second mob quickly and then switch back to the first. The goblin will troll the whole fight. You just gotta deal.

Third boss fight typical tank and spank, while moving away from AOEs. Occasionally, the boss will trap a character in a bubble that DOTs. The bubble prevents the trapped player from doing anything except attacking the bubble. When the bubble appears, everybody needs to focus on destroying it ASAP so that the trapped character can get back in the fight. Near the end, the dragon Aiatar will show up. Tank and spank and avoid AOEs until he runs away.

Fourth boss is Aiatar again, and this time he must die. Tank should consider the room like a sort of giant clock and start tanking him at anywhere between 12 and 3 o'clock, keeping in mind that you enter the room at 6 o'clock. So tank has to run across room, grab and pull him to 12-3. It is imperative that all players avoid his cone poison AOE. He will randomly spit it at a character. When this happens, you must either Stun it somehow, like Shield Bash, or get the fuck out of the way. If you get hit, you take massive damage and also get a DOT on you which the WHM can get rid of w/Esuna. Eventually, the dragon will start spitting these giant puddles of poison on the floor. They remain there for a certain amount of time, and anybody standing in them will take DOT and also get a Poison DOT, which the WHM must remove w/Esuna. Keep in mind that if you are standing in it when you get the Esuna, you will get poisoned again. Lastly, if the dragon is standing in the poison, he slowly Regens health. At this point, tank has to pull the boss to another position in the room, another point on 'the clock.' Try to keep the boss somewhere close to the poison puddle but not so close that he's standing in it. The idea here is to minimize where he spits the next puddle. By keeping him on one side of the room and tanking him in a circle, you keep the floor as clear as possible for the fight. Although by the end of it, there will be poison everywhere. But in most cases, there's always a sweet spot you can move the dragon to where he doesn't heal. At 10 percent health, the DD should limit break. Repeat until dead.

Hope that helps.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
So I joined a party in progress by myself. There were on the actual boss of that dungeon. We beat him on our 2nd try. I did well, I thought, though Aiatar's AOE is hard for me to get out of. I run out of it but always seem to get hit regardless. That was really the only troubling spot for me of that fight.

Anyway, after that I joined another party in progress who had only cleared the first boss. We then proceeded to clear the entire dungeon and I got some great gear from treasure coffers. I'll probably run this dungeon a few more times. My crew is working up to lvl 34 and then we're gonna run it again as group.

Taiso, do you know anything about the "notorious monster" FATES? I've fought Cancer in Costa Del Sol twice (epic battle, btw - love how big he is) but am I guessing correctly that his spawn is just on a timer? I'd love to get a list of other badass huge monsters and camp out in those areas just to fight them.

Is it true you can get a minion if you get a top score from the fate? I've got close on both times I've fought Cancer but I've never been there from the start.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
So I think the fates that spawn the big monsters are just timed. I was camping the Costa Del Sol beach, got up to use the bathroom, came back and my crew told me I had just missed the Cancer spawn. So I noted the time and camped it out again and it spawned again exactly 60 minutes later.

Camped it out again and 60 minutes later no spawn. I'm cool with random timers.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Well my crew beat Brayflox's Longstop. I'd like to run it a couple more times so we can tune our teamwork, but I think we did pretty good. We wiped once on the second boss because our DPS kept attacking the boss immediately after our CNJ slept it :annoyed: Quite the miscommunication there. Second go on him we destroyed that encounter. No problems whatsoever on the third encounter.

Aitar took us about three tries. For whatever reason I have a hard time dodging his main AOE. If I was inbetween moves and couldn't stun it I'd walk outside of it but I always seemed to get hit anyway. Frustrating. Latency issue? I dunno.

Any tips for Sunken Temple?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Listen, I'm terrible at this game - but despite that is it too much to ask for a party member who can get out of Titan's straight line AOE that knocks you off the map?

Haha...it's frustrating to dodge that shit only to see the same team member knocked off again, and again, and again, and again.

I like the trials though wish there more at lower levels.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
PS4 testing is starting in February. And the 2.1 updates are this month.

Looks like Pharos Sirius and Crystal Tower will add more refreshing dungeons to the list,
as well as something for the PVP fans among other things. :)

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I was up until 2:30 AM last night farming CT for gear. Finally conmpleted my MNK set. This game is still awesome and it still has me in a death grip.

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
The beta is now available for download on the PS4.

Downloading now.

Edit: My bad, this is just the preload. Servers won't go live until the 22nd.

Last edited: