Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn beta sign ups, Opening CG

saner

Krauser's Henchman
it's literally a new mmorpg that remakes XIV's world, graphics engine, and gameplay foundations.

It's not 1.x with a new title slapped on the cover.

New team,
new focus,
new engine,
remade design,
new producer since post 1.0 launch that understands mmorpgs past and present,
community input,
new course in the right direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h542YbZuwkQ

Lodestone updates
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/index.html

Letter from Producer XLI

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/59783

blog
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog/post/167

facebook
https://www.facebook.com/FinalFantasyXIV

Beta Sign Ups (PS3 version is during Phase 3)
NA: http://entry.ffxiv.com/beta/na
EU: http://entry.ffxiv.com/beta/eu/

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member

That dragon is my hero for smoking all those cosplayer weeaboos while they were larping outside of city limits.

Honestly though, this doesn't look too bad....if it wasn't an MMO I probably would have checked it out.
But with working, eating, sleeping, fucking, etc. that most adults get tied up with there's hardly any time for it. Kind of a drag because this one seems to capture the style of several FFs that I actually liked back in the day....but their recent non-mmo titles just....rub me the wrong way. I can't quite put my finger on it...

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
It's amazing how much I:

A- don't give a single shit about MMORPGs...

B- lost interest in anything with the "Final Fantasy" name on it years go.

I used to consider Final Fantasy to be the premiere RPG franchise...now they just poop out shitty, overly complicated systems with shitty plots and anime fanboy graphics. Sad really as I used to really look forward to them...now I couldn't care less.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
Gonna bomb again, MMOs don't get second chances.

There can be exceptions.

Also if there is one flaw in the industry, is people's closed minded attitude of dwelling in the past,
and assumption that broken things can't be fixed.

Enough money, dedication and the right people leading the mmorpg can fix things and redeem themselves into a brand new MMORPG that
is worth playing and paying for.

Also FFXIV ARR is literally a new MMORPG since it's being built from the ground up.

It may borrow assets from the previous version, but saying FFXIV ARR is the same thing as FFXIV 1.0
is like saying Resident Evil Remake is the exact "same thing" as RE1.

or Street Fighter Third Strike is the "same thing" as Double Impact.

or KOF XIII being labeled and reviewed as the "same bare bones and rushed unfinished product like KOF XII". :D

but FFXIV ARR is more than a remake or sequel, it's the rebirth of an MMORPG.

So people should evaluate its beta and judge its launch with a clean slate. That's what any intelligent gamer would do. :)

:)

Last edited:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Saner do you make any threads that aren't sucking a games dick?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
There can be exceptions.

Also if there is one flaw in the industry, is people's closed minded attitude of dwelling in the past,
and assumption that broken things can't be fixed.

Enough money, dedication and the right people leading the mmorpg can fix things and redeem themselves into a brand new MMORPG that
is worth playing and paying for.

Also FFXIV ARR is literally a new MMORPG since it's being built from the ground up.

It may borrow assets from the previous version, but saying FFXIV ARR is the same thing as FFXIV 1.0
is like saying Resident Evil Remake is the exact "same thing" as RE1.

or Street Fighter Third Strike is the "same thing" as Double Impact.

or KOF XIII being labeled and reviewed as the "same bare bones and rushed unfinished product like KOF XII". :D

but FFXIV ARR is more than a remake or sequel, it's the rebirth of an MMORPG.

So people should evaluate its beta and judge its launch with a clean slate. That's what any intelligent gamer would do. :)

:)

So why didn't they do it right in the first place?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
So why didn't they do it right in the first place?

Short answers?

Dev time was crawling too slow, S-E wanted that monthly subscription money to come in, it was set to launch before WoW: Cataclysm and further delays threatened to postpone the release date.

So instead of doing it right, they shot themselves in the foot.

FF XIV stands as the most colossal failure in the history of video games, IMO. Worse than Duke Nukem Forever. Yoichi Wada, president of S-E, actually admitted that the game's poor quality tarnished the brand name.

But having said all that, the game got great in February 2K12. And subscriptions actually went up when they went back to a pay model. And there are a lot of people that only own PS3s that will give the game a try.

I think its myopic to judge people for being realistic about its chances. Saner's contention that 'people shouldn't judge the new game by the old' is just blind optimism. People are going to be very scrutinizing on this game.

And even if it succeeds and is everything people hope for, MMOs are just operating under a different business model than they were when S-E decided to even make FF XIV.

My prediction: it will have a loyal subscriber base, just like XI did. It won't dethrone WoW because nothing can dethrone WoW but the player base will be generally awesome to play with, just like XI was.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I don't even know why companies are still making MMOs on this oversaturated market. Look at the past three years and all the MMOs that failed to meet everybodies expection and sales.. SWTOR, Rift, Warhammer, DC Universe, Conan, Vanguard a few years back etc. (with SWTOR being the worst offender), even GW2 didn't do that well and The Secret World failed too despite offering a somewhat different experience in gameplay. LotRO is one excpetion that actually got more players after switching business models. As long as WoW is still running nothing's gonna change that. FFXIV was made by people who clearly had no idea what they were doing and all the outsourcing to china probably didn't help too.

They should invest the money and development time into something else. They also need to stop making FF13-based games.

Last edited:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I don't even know why companies are still making MMOs on this oversaturated market. Look at the past three years and all the MMOs that failed to meet everybodies expection and sales.. SWTOR, Rift, Warhammer, DC Universe, Conan, Vanguard a few years back etc. (with SWTOR being the worst offender), even GW2 didn't do that well and The Secret World failed too despite offering a somewhat different experience in gameplay. LotRO is one excpetion that actually got more players after switching business models. As long as WoW is still running nothing's gonna change that. FFXIV was made by people who clearly had no idea what they were doing and all the outsourcing to china probably didn't help too.

They should invest the money and development time into something else. They also need to stop making FF13-based games.

You know when you aren't trolling you make such brilliant posts.

FFXI is still doing well in its own right. SE is literally competing with themselves.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member

This is the part that completely baffles me.

Hiromichi Tanaka is the guy chiefly behind the development of both XI and XIV. He was the chief game designer for XI as well.

They knew what worked and what didn't work from their experiences from XI. They had a template and an expansive market to study.

They even had plenty of lore and mythology to draw from in that it's, you know, Final Fantasy.

So rather than draw on all of that to make the best game possible, they designed XIV with an entirely different back end which resulted in a ridiculously sluggish user interface, bland and unimaginative zones to explore, a lack of quest content, a horrible fatigue system that limited a player's time leveling a job, an item decay system that not only encouraged player interaction, but practically REQUIRED it and an in game market that made no sense and was tedious to access.

Most MMOs are timesinks when it's time to endgame. FF XIV was a timesink just to go fucking shopping.

And they didn't even create new races. They were the same exact races with different names. Lazy

AND where is the 'Final Fantasy' in Final Fantasy XIV? At the start, the game had:

No chocobo mounts
No summons
No real interactions with the crystals
No real interactions with moogles
No accessible airships
No familiar, tried and true FF themed jobs/classes

The game should have been called 'Generic Fantasy With Races Stolen From Our Previous MMO.'

And what they really should have done is taken one of their more famous FFs and made a MMO version of it. Final Fantasy VII Online, using that world and all of its concepts, would have been a grand experiment.

People that play FF want to interact with those characters. Can you imagine a MMO where you accepted jobs from Avalanch, worked with President Rufus to solve a mystery about Mako energy leakage in one of their plants, took quests to rescue refugees from Tifa, unlocked Cloud's motorcycle as a mount and fought Sephiroth in some endgame capacity?

I am not saying FF VII is MY favorite FF (although I am replaying it on PC and enjoying it), but this is such a fucking no brainer that if S-E hasn't thought of it yet, there is something seriously wrong with the suits that run that fucking company.

Neither of these will happen.

They have sunk too much money into FF XIV and are counting on the business model. It would not surprise me at this point to discover that the real reason they started snatching up Western IPs was because they needed something to make up for all the subscription fees lost from FF XIV's pathetic state at launch.

And as for FF XIII, they had it all mapped out with the whole 'Fabula Nova Crystalis' thing. Resources were allocated and schedules set.

And anyway, FF XIII-2 is a fucking brilliant MMO. Fuck the hate this game gets. It absolutely does not deserve it.

Personally, I'm more baffled, given S-E's financial concerns why:

A.) Final Fantasy Versus XIII hasn't been released yet.

B.) Final Fantasy Type 0 was never released to western audiences. There is too much fucking money in the west not to do this, and the decision to keep it in Asia reeks of stupidity.

Last edited:

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
So whats the deal for someone who already bought FF XIV when it was released the first time? I played while it remained free but I never did any monthly subscriptions since the game was shit compared to XI. Will I be able to download the new client for free?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
So whats the deal for someone who already bought FF XIV when it was released the first time? I played while it remained free but I never did any monthly subscriptions since the game was shit compared to XI. Will I be able to download the new client for free?

I would think that because they are extremely sensitive about the public perception of FF XIV -as well they should be, since the relaunch is being done to reclaim their consumer base- as they get ready for the big re-debut, they won't make their existing accounts purchase the client again.

But this is S-E. They will monetize anything they can get away with.

BTW, I haven't forgotten about PoE. Just haven't found the time to sit down and play it what with FF VII PC and DmC both having a solid hold on me. Will get there soon enough, though.

cannonball

15 Year Member
they won't make their existing accounts purchase the client again.

But this is S-E. They will monetize anything they can get away with.

Yeah, I'd like to think that but you're right about S-E. You have to look no further than their new money machine 'FF All The Bravest' to see how they do business these days.

I checked their site a month or so back and the forums and couldn't find any info on people who already dropped $50-$70 on the original game. That is what had me worried. If it is the case where I can just download the client I'll be subscribing as I still have faith in them to turn XIV around. XI was my favorite MMORPG since EQ and I really want them to make this one as successful.

BTW, I haven't forgotten about PoE. Just haven't found the time to sit down and play it what with FF VII PC and DmC both having a solid hold on me. Will get there soon enough, though.

No worries man. It will be there when you're ready and I'll be up for starting another character to run through with you. It will give me a chance to try out a more team oriented build.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
I am amused by the notion that people are trying to legitimately explain the origins of video game development to Doctor Shroom as though he didn't understand it.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I am amused by the notion that people are trying to legitimately explain the origins of video game development to Doctor Shroom as though he didn't understand it.

He wasn't trolling (as far as I could tell) so I thought I'd engage in a discussion with him.

But I got the reference anyway.

Edit: Yeah, he was trolling. Touche

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
- Company makes Billions of Yen off 10 year old and still running Pay to Pay MMO.
- Company fails launch of 2nd MMO in company history, reassigns new Team and Producer.
- Fixes original game to a playable condition with new content added and removed FTP and reinstates PTP, still having an 10K+ subscriber rate.
- All while working side by side on a relaunch from the ground up with a completely new engine, UI, completely overhauled areas, etc.

There is a difference between an over saturated failed MMO to FTP market with a horrible subscriber rate and a failed MMO PTP game that still holds 10K+ subscribers and is relaunching it from the ground up while still pleasing a 10K+ subscriber rate from the original game.

I'm not kissing this company's ass. Personally, this is an extremely rare sight in the industry. Not just a game, a MMO a company completely fucked up is actually dedicating the time, money and resources to completely correct it. Where the general industry standard is toss a few patches on, milk it as much as possible and move on.

All I can say is wait and see as I can't say much more per NDA.

Last edited:

cannonball

15 Year Member
All I can say is wait and see as I can't say much more per NDA.

I was part of the closed beta for XIV the first time around and I remember saying the same thing. "Wait and see". We all knew there were huge issues but we wanted to have faith in the company that they would fix it. Fool me once and all that. As I said above I'm very hopeful that they'll turn the game around but I won't be getting my credit card out until a couple months have gone by after release to see how this remix fares (assuming of course they're not making people buy the client again. No way I'm doing that).

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I was part of the closed beta for XIV the first time around and I remember saying the same thing. "Wait and see". We all knew there were huge issues but we wanted to have faith in the company that they would fix it. Fool me once and all that. As I said above I'm very hopeful that they'll turn the game around but I won't be getting my credit card out until a couple months have gone by after release to see how this remix fares (assuming of course they're not making people buy the client again. No way I'm doing that).

I can tell you from experiencing the samething from XIV 1.0 closed Alpha and upto now. There is a huge difference between the two and sadly I can't discuss it until the NDA is removed with ARR Open Beta. This team is completely different and the huge issues of 1.0 Beta aren't there.

I refer the "wait and see" as if you get into ARR Beta or wait til release. Decide for yourself and compare ARR's base start to XIV 1.0s.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I'm not kissing this company's ass. Personally, this is an extremely rare sight in the industry. Not just a game, a MMO a company completely fucked up is actually dedicating the time, money and resources to completely correct it. Where the general industry standard is toss a few patches on, milk it as much as possible and move on.

THIS

So very much THIS

This is why I find FF XIV's redesign so compelling.

The game could go away forever and I wouldn't really miss it. It was fun after 2/12, but I haven't really missed it all that much.

But this is a grand experiment, and could be the kind of thing that sets a trend in the industry. I am really curious to see it pan out.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
He wasn't trolling (as far as I could tell) so I thought I'd engage in a discussion with him.

But I got the reference anyway.

Edit: Yeah, he was trolling. Touche

But I wasn't...

Geralds

Kula's Candy
You just wait your ether going to get a crap game or what i have seen more and more like a wow clone with some different stuff. I don't be leave they can fix it they had there shot and that it that. The game was so freeking aweful i just don't think i could ever give it another chance. I commend them for try to fix it but they screwed them selves over. There are going to be some people who are going to love this reboot while other who played it who simply wont. I dont beleave there going to gain any more people but i do not beleave they will loose numbers ether. I think for ever 1 person who disliked 14 someone will come to replace them.