Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn beta sign ups, Opening CG

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Shroom, you're just bitter because your predictions about this game were wrong:D

Thanks for the confirmation Taiso.

I guess I'll post here if I get really confused/need some help.

Any tips on crafting?

Not sure what I should undertake when I get to level 10 (should I even bother to craft at that level?.) I'm going to get the gamer later tonight, most likely going to be a roegadyn gladiator.

As for crafting, I'm not really wasting my time with it right now.

Crafting is something you do for three reasons:

1.) Because you want to make your own gear.
2.) Becasue you want to make mad gilz.
3.) Because you enjoy the acdtivity.

One at a time:

To make your own gear-honestly, you are going to get really good gear that is equippable at earlier levels than stuff you can buy/craft by getting dungeon drops. It's a bit of a crap shoot and designed to get you to run the dungeons over and over, but if you get a good crew together, you can fairly mete out the drops so everyone gets what they want in time.

This is not to say that crafting gear is useless but unless you want to be a 'crafting guy', you are better off just doing story missions, side quests, leves, FATEs and leveling up to where you can run dungeons.

To make money-as long as you just do quests and use the gear that you get from sidequests and dungeons, you will only need money to teleport, and a good night of leves will keep you well funded enough to get around while you advance through the game. Sure, you won't be able to buy the best stuff available on the AH, but you don't really need it to advance through the game to the point where you can be in a better position to acquire it. You may have to deal with some elite players calling you on bad gear, but who really cares?

Because you enjoy crafting-if that is your thing, go for it. Just remember that you can't advance through the story, see the best content and get the best stuff unless you advance a battle job.

I intend to level crafting jobs at one point, but only when there is nothing else to do. And by that, I mean:

Level a battle job
Run instances for gear
Fight primals for primal weapons and relics
Help friends do the same

My .02

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
He can cyber with my catgirl lancer.
Not for free though.

Can you murcans even interact in any way with the yurops? I'm on Lich EU.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
He can cyber with my catgirl lancer.
Not for free though.

Can you murcans even interact in any way with the yurops? I'm on Lich EU.

Yeah. You can make a character on any server, as far as I know. As long as there isn't a character creation restriction.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Yeah but I guess you can't party up with them...yet?

There are a ton of Brits in my LS and I PT up with them all the time. And even a couple of Aussies.

You can't choose who to party with across servers. They have to be on your server for you to pick it.

With Duty Finder, it's a crap shoot who you'll get. But the Duty Server is tied to your server and three other servers from among your region (NA/EU.)

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Well I'm level 18 now.

One of my other friends just got access to airship travel so it looks like we'll finally be able to run the main quest together. Should have our whole crew running together shortly.

When can we go in to dungeons?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Ran the first three dungeons today. Did the first one twice.

A lot of fun. I really appreciate the teamwork element in the dungeons. It seems a tad simplistic with the predefined roles (tank, healer, dps) but that makes the game pretty accessible I guess, and well that's how these type of games work. Are there any classes that have more of a hybrid type role?

I just unlocked being able to make materia.

Ran in to more friendly players than unfriendly ones today too. One player was quite helpful and really cool helping 3 noobs.

I need to get a keyboard for my PS3.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Where do learn riding in the lancer starting area?

If you're asking about how to ride chocobos at will rather than having to rent one or pay a porter, this is how you learn.

You finish the three starter dungeons.

Filler quests.

Fight Ifrit.

Filler quests.

Join a Grand Company (it'll make sense, trust me.)

After you join a Grand Company, go and complete enough of your Grand Company Hunter's Log (separate from your job Hunter's Log-again, it'll make sense.) This will get you 2,000 Grand Company Seals.

Go to your Grand Company and exchange the 2,000 Grand Company seals for a Chocobo License.

Then there will be a small quest where you name your Chocobo.

Congratulations. You can now ride a Chocobo at will.

'duf:

There are some jobs that have dual functions, but nothing that will cover every role. For example:

Arcanist/Summoner-can be healer and DPS. With the tank summon (either Topaz Carbuncle or, later, Titan-egi), they can also have their pet tank but since your pet doesn't know how to stun specific mob attacks or move out of the way of AOE, it's not really as efficient as having a Paladin or, if you're strapped, a Warrior do the job.

Warrior can either tank or DPS. Warrior isn't a bad tank, but if they haven't sunk all their points into VIT, their HP may be lower in later instances and their Parry rate wth Greataxe isn't going to be as nifty or effective as a well gear Paladin with a shield. A Warrior CAN tank, and I've tanked some endgame bosses on Warrior, but if your healer isn't an ace, you may not survive it.

There are a few other types of jobs that can multitask, but for the most part it's best to get used to a specific role and fulfill it. This isn't like WoW where you can have a 'DPS Paladin.' There may be some builds out there that try it, but by and large that is either an uncommonly well geared Paladin for that role or he is just an uncanny player. It's highly unconventional, especially considering many of the bosses in the game to this point are tank and spank and dont have hate reset, although many will spam ranged attacks and AOEs on random party members to keep things interesting even though the tank still has the most hate.

Given my experiences with Summoner, I've found it to be the most complex job in terms of functions, given that it can heal and DPS and, while soloing, can also have a pet tank. My SMN is currently at 41 on main. FATE bashing is starting to get a little dull, but once I hit 50, I'm sure I'll be glad I went through it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Should I take my gladiAtor to 50 or should I just get to 30, the level conjured up, and switch to a paladin?

thanks for all the help Taiso. Can you offer any insight on Materia?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Should I take my gladiAtor to 50 or should I just get to 30, the level conjured up, and switch to a paladin?

thanks for all the help Taiso. Can you offer any insight on Materia?

Definitely go PLD. There is no real reason to play it as GLD once you hit 30.

Now, you may or may not be aware of this, but every level of GLD also counts towards PLD. So, for example:

Say, as an example, you choose to level your GLD to 37. Then you decide you want PLD access. So you go back and do 15 levels of CNJ.

Then you unlock PLD. When you equip the key item that turns you into a PLD, you will be a PLD with the same levels as you have in GLD. So, in this example, you will be a LV 37 PLD when you equip the key item 'Soul of the Paladin.'

Say you then go with PLD to 42 and, for no other reason other than to see how it works, you unequip 'Soul of the Paladin.' You are now a LV 42 GLD. You take GLD up 3 more levels to 45 and then re-equip 'Soul of the Paladin.' You are now a LV 45 PLD.

In short:the advanced job shares levels with the parent/basic job. And you can flip back and forth as you choose.

But to be truthful, I've never had a need to go back to parent/basic job once I unlock advanced job, and to be honest, you probably won't either. You'll lose access to some additional abilities from other jobs as a result, as the advanced jobs have a much more narrow selection from the parent/basic jobs, but you won't really miss them. And when you go with the advanced version, you get access to unique job abilities that make up for it in other ways.

As it regards materia:

In regards to materia, I recommend you always go with ability buffs and not base stat buffs. I don't remember the exact formula, but I believe it's 10 points of STR equals 1 point of Weapon Attack Damage. So if you equip an item with a materia that gives +2 Determination, it's like equipping it with +20 STR.

Now, I don't recall if the formula is 10 -> 1 or if it's 5 -> 1 or whatever. But I remember that base stat buffs aren't as useful. So when you start making materia that is designed with endgame or, when they add it, PvP, you will want to go with ability buffs, not base stat buffs. Double, triple and quadruple melds are awesome, and in these cases I recommend loading the same stat up. So if you get a body piece that allows 4 materia slots, put 4 defensive based materia in it, and the best ones you can find. Same with weapons and attack, and so forth. Look at the key stats of the item and always try to bost the most important numbers with materia. It will have more value when you sell it that way. Selling an item that covers a broad range of ability buffs through materia leaves you with a good item, but people will generally stack the same materia of a type on one body piece or weapon and try to even it out by wearing a helmet that does all of one thing, body that does all of one thing, etc.

One thing you can get once you join a grand company is a ring of spirit bond (I believe it's called that.) Basically, when you equip it, stuff spirit bonds faster. So if you want to go on spirit bonding parties, or just want to buff an item's spirit bond up faster with the sole purpose of assimilating it into materia, my advice is to get into a FATE PT and just do it until you spirit bond. Sometimes, people take multiples of the same item if they like what it could possibly convert into and once one is 100% spirit bond, they change out to the fresh item.

I hope that helps. Your experiences may end up differing, and other may players may tell you differently, but this is how I've seen it done and done it myself, and it's worked out pretty good for me and my crew.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Thanks again, your insight in to the game is greatly appreciated.

I have access to a Grand Company around level 25?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Beat Ifrit with my crew, Joined a Grand Company.

Taiso is melding materia on your armor worth it at lower levels? It seems like it's end-game stuff since gear changes so rapidly.

Grinding armorer is just...UGH.

Got my GLD to 23 at the moment and I leveled CNJ up to 15 in preparation for becoming a Paladin.

Last edited:

-D-

Zero's Secretary
Been playing it and loving it. Currently lv46 BRD on Ultros. Anyone else on Ultros?

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Beat Ifrit with my crew, Joined a Grand Company.

Taiso is melding materia on your armor worth it at lower levels? It seems like it's end-game stuff since gear changes so rapidly.

Grinding armorer is just...UGH.

Got my GLD to 23 at the moment and I leveled CNJ up to 15 in preparation for becoming a Paladin.

Sorry I missed this before. In regards to your question concerning melding at lower levels.

Eh...I went through the entire story mode without having a single piece of melded equipment.

So the answer to your question is:

If you have it to spare and you feel like it. Melding, as far as I can tell, is only really useful for endgame. That's where it makes the biggest difference.

Oh, also for crafting. Melding crafting materia to crafting gear is a good idea.

But otherwise, I wouldn't concern myself with it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I quickly realized that crafting was only going to be useful around endgame - as a way to make okayish gear and as a way to make money.

I'm still doing it from time to time because it is making me some money (armorer) - and I've been doing a bit of fishing because it's strangely fun.

Anyway, I'm a level 29 now. I imagine I could be high 30s by now but I've been taking it slow and mostly just rolling with my peeps.

Any tips on how to hold aggro on multiple enemies when I'm tanking?

Anyway we just finally ran the level 24 dungeon. Got a chocobo. Good stuff.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I've only had success talking with people in dungeons.

I use a headset when I play with my crew...on PS3...

The control scheme is becoming more limiting as I acquire more skills.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I still enjoy the game.

I'll be interested to see if the PS4 edition has true mouse + kb support.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I quickly realized that crafting was only going to be useful around endgame - as a way to make okayish gear and as a way to make money.

I'm still doing it from time to time because it is making me some money (armorer) - and I've been doing a bit of fishing because it's strangely fun.

Anyway, I'm a level 29 now. I imagine I could be high 30s by now but I've been taking it slow and mostly just rolling with my peeps.

Any tips on how to hold aggro on multiple enemies when I'm tanking?

Anyway we just finally ran the level 24 dungeon. Got a chocobo. Good stuff.

At level 29, it could be rough, but my advice is:

First, you should be putting all your character points into VIT. Ignore all other stats. Until they change the way the game works, all a PLD needs is VIT for the extra HP.

For gear, stack VIT as much as possible. If you can get gear that also enhances your Block stat, go for that as well. It helps with blocking attacks with your shield. Don't worry about Parry so much with PLD.

Always start by grabbing mob with Shield Lob. If multiple enemies, Flash when you're standing in the middle of them. Then, Flash between every combo. Do it around as many enemies as possible as often as possible.

Always use your hate building combo. I believe it's Fast Blade to Savage Blade and, later, Rage of Halone. If you have multiple enemies on you, start your combo on one enemy and then switch to another enemy and do the second part of the combo on him. Once you have Rage of Halone, you'll want to do Fast Blade -> Savage Blade on primary enemy and then Rage of Halone on second enemy. Then Flash. Then do your first two parts on the first enemy again and then Rage of Halone on the third enemy. Keep a steady rotation with Rage of Halone smacking the other enemies alternately. If you keep that going and mix in Flash after Rage of Halone, you'll be okay holding the mobs.

Always mark your enemies numerically, and make sure that your allies are attacking them in order. They shouldn't be touching the other mobs at all except unless they have AOE dots like Poison. And even then, it should only be sparingly. A party member attacking mobs in an order other than how the tank designates deserves to die if they get the hate. The only one you should ever bother breaking off to help is the healer. Everybody else needs to stay in line or just let them die and reclaim the mob afterwards. Harsh, but motherfuckers need to learn how to function as a group. If anybody gives you shit about that, ignore them.

One last thing you need to know. Once you unlock Provoke, don't be fooled by how it works. It doesn't build enmity. What it does is instantly give you the most hate, but if you don't follow it up with something immediately, somebody else will steal the hate right back off of you. Essentially, it resets hate and puts you at the top of the list. So just be ready to spam Flast Blade or Flash immediately after Provoke.

Once you get Spirits Within at later levels, mix that in as a strike for big damage now and again. Same with Circle of Scorn, a great way to claim multiple mobs and get some hate going with them.

Hope that helps.