Fast Striker, a NEW Neo Geo vertizontal shooter from NG:Dev Team!

FalcomAdol

Fio's Quartermaster
Looks quite promising.

What's the control layout here? In the video there's a lot of what looks like switching back and forth between weapons. Using different buttons for different shot types?

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
I'm sure most of you got this email, for those of you that didn't, here it is.

I'm actually kinda excited about a quality homebrew release.

Not sure how I feel about the "In-System Software Updates via USB Port". Hopefully this doesn't mean unfinished and we will patch it as we go along.

Timm Hellwig said:
Dear NEO GEO fans,

we are proud to announce our new NEO•GEO™ game Fast Striker.

FAST STRIKER is a 2D arcade shooting game with emphasis on scoring. You can choose between 3 game modes with different scoring systems. This game features six stages of excellent 2D arcade game play with over 40 unique enemy types, super smooth 3D scrolling backgrounds, huge CGI bosses and it features the biggest Megabit count ever since the beginning of NEO•GEO™ games.

Game

* 6 Stages
* 3 Game Modes: Original/Maniac/Novice
* Elaborated scoring system
* Up to 180 Enemy Bullets Simultaneously on Screen
* 40+ Fully Animated CGI Enemies
* 6+ Huge Fully Animated Boss Enemies
* 3D Scrolling CGI Backgrounds
* Constant 60 fps
* Difficulty Rank System
* Online Ranking via Code

Hadware

* MVS Multi Slot Compatible: 1-6 Slots
* Full use of 1560 Megabits
* 25+ mins Full Digitized Stereo Soundtrack
* In-System Software Updates via USB Port
* Up to Date Copyright Protection via Particle Streaming Chip

Please visit the official site of Fast Striker here:
http://www.faststriker.com/
If you have a Twitter account,please follow us: http://twitter.com/ngdevteam

Best regards,
Timm Hellwig
--
-------------

FalcomAdol

Fio's Quartermaster
Looks quite promising.

What's the control layout here? In the video there's a lot of what looks like switching back and forth between weapons. Using different buttons for different shot types?

OH doh, RTFM

controls.png

Macck

Edo Express Delivery Guy
How much will cost ???

Someone know if Dev.Team will create any beat'n up game like "Sengoku"....i love games like that....

[]'Macck

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Patching is almost routine in current gen releases today. Having the option doesn't mean it has to be used. But if there's some glitch that wasn't picked up in beta testing, it would be better to have a way to fix that.

lol

Fast Striker: Fixed---------R
Fast Striker: Unfixed-------EER

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
Isn't that number approximately 2x the maximum capacity for NGCD games?

NGCD games are regular mixed-mode discs. You get atleast 650MB split between audio and data. It's not that which holds it back though since that sort of animation in that video would have to be butchered to get it to run on a CD. You have to fit all onscreen GFX in a 32meg window on a CD system. Doesn't matter how much the CD can hold, it must be in that 32meg space to show up on screen. This is probably why they didn't bother with Blazing Star since some of those backgrounds + boss animations are pretty extreme.

On topic of the video: Very nice to see all that action on screen without any slowdown at all. It's great how everything just runs so smoothly without any hiccups.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Putting this game on NGCD will look kinda like how Ikari warriors arcade vs Ikari warriors on the NES looked. Very, very watered down. I'd rather them release it on the Dreamcast than the Neo CD.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
NGCD games are regular mixed-mode discs. You get atleast 650MB split between audio and data. It's not that which holds it back though since that sort of animation in that video would have to be butchered to get it to run on a CD. You have to fit all onscreen GFX in a 32meg window on a CD system. Doesn't matter how much the CD can hold, it must be in that 32meg space to show up on screen. This is probably why they didn't bother with Blazing Star since some of those backgrounds + boss animations are pretty extreme.

What about with NTM's expanded CDZ? It would need to be programmed though to use all that RAM, correct?

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Has the pre-order date been posted yet? What formats are being put out? MVS?

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
What about with NTM's expanded CDZ? It would need to be programmed though to use all that RAM, correct?

It would, but it can't access it in the first place. A test was done on his Z and it only found 32megs of RAM for sprites even with 64megs actually installed. It's not hooked up as extra RAM.

FalcomAdol

Fio's Quartermaster
It would, but it can't access it in the first place. A test was done on his Z and it only found 32megs of RAM for sprites even with 64megs actually installed. It's not hooked up as extra RAM.
Which makes sense. Consoles generally have a fixed addressable space. Lets you do funky things like rolling pointers over the end back to the beginning.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
the graphics look better than any other Neo shooter (lots of pre-rendered 3D backgrounds, and no slowdown). don't know how they avoided slowdown.

Clessy

Banned
This game looks so damn good. I can only imagine what there next game will look like. Everyone shit on Last Hope yet it was fantastic. Now this blows it out of the water and people are catching on. Not to sound fantatical but I really think they're gonna blow the world away with the things they do.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
This game looks so damn good. I can only imagine what there next game will look like. Everyone shit on Last Hope yet it was fantastic. Now this blows it out of the water and people are catching on. Not to sound fantatical but I really think they're gonna blow the world away with the things they do.

don't worry, you don't sound fanatical...just delusional.

But in all seriousness, the game does look pretty solid.

Lee Gray

Better Than Krauser
20 Year Member
Just watched the demo on youtube, it does look and sound good and has some cool background graphics but it looks to me like one of those games where you will need like 200 credits to complete it with the amount of bullets coming at you and they even state on their page like its something cool having up to 180 enemy bullets on screen at the same timer, now i do like a challenge but i dont like games to be totally hard

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
That's why they made 3 modes, Maniac, Original and Novice. The video was Maniac.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Just watched the demo on youtube, it does look and sound good and has some cool background graphics but it looks to me like one of those games where you will need like 200 credits to complete it with the amount of bullets coming at you and they even state on their page like its something cool having up to 180 enemy bullets on screen at the same timer, now i do like a challenge but i dont like games to be totally hard

Isn't there a demand for bullet hell though? The game is going to be expensive, so for the people that do buy it, why wouldn't they want something with a challenge that they can play again and again?

And for the people who intend to place it in active use in an arcade, having some one use 200 credits is a good thing. That's $50 dollars right there, yo (because this ain't a two credit game).

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Awesome. Simply awesome.

The trailer looks gorgeous and while that's only Manic mode footage it seems, I can imagine the game would be a ton of fun on a less-crazy difficulty. I definitely want this one, assuming price is reasonable.

I just really REALLY wish we had some idea of pricing... Will the home use version cost $100 or $1000? What about the arcade release?

Isn't that number approximately 2x the maximum capacity for NGCD games?
Technically, no. That'd be if it was gigaBYTES instead of gigaBITS.

Then again, there is that other limitation that Xian Xi and others have mentioned that'd stop it from being a perfect rendition of the game on there.

For what it's worth, that is from the Manic mode, which is the hardest of the 3 modes. I'd guess this will be a fair bit easier to play on the low and medium difficulties.

Last edited:

Lee Gray

Better Than Krauser
20 Year Member
I expect i will buy it to support them and MVS providing the price isnt too ridiculous although shooters have always been my least fav genre , never noticed it was maniac mode :) ... if it comes in kit form though with stickers even better, even if they couldnt supply a box but with an extra matching serial number label so u could just use a box from another kit and put label on top of another label

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I expect i will buy it to support them and MVS providing the price isnt too ridiculous although shooters have always been my least fav genre , never noticed it was maniac mode :) ... if it comes in kit form though with stickers even better, even if they couldnt supply a box but with an extra matching serial number label so u could just use a box from another kit and put label on top of another label

They've had their own silicon printed, so I would expect them to go all out.

Has there been any mention of price yet? Or a Dreamcast or maybe PSN/XBL release?

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member

I'm certain they must've thought of this by now, but some website, maybe arcadeshock, sells new kit boxes. Assuming the cart is standard dimensions, they could buy and use those...

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member

On topic of the video: Very nice to see all that action on screen without any slowdown at all. It's great how everything just runs so smoothly without any hiccups.

So it's a hardware limitation at work here. Thanks for the heads-up on this.