Dark Souls 3

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
How into the Souls games are you herb? If you are one of the people who love the atmosphere and highly distinct and different-feeling levels of DS1 and would be into a game that has even better atmosphere, immersion and sound than DS1- then Demon Souls is for you. The Tower of Latria alone makes this game worth playing- with all the lights off, headphones or good speakers on and the biggest screen you have- it's fucking incredible. In this level you start in a prison that drives people insane, each floor is patrolled by these old-school D&D 'Mind-Flayers' who ring bells and carry lanterns. They are tough as nails, so you have to hide and wait, then pounce on them without getting stunned and mind-sucked like in Bloodborne. They also shoot soul arrows at you, and they are most of what makes the level so much fun. All the while, you are listening to the sound of the bells and the noise from the prisoners- groaning, calling out for help, wailing like banshees, etc. And the CRICKETS, oh how the sound of crickets adds to the creepiness.

I don't know if you have a PS3, but if you do I highly recommend Demon Souls, because I haven't even told you about Maiden Astrea and her boss level of Dario Argento looking and sounding horror. It's pretty much the best set-piece boss stage in the history of video games, imo of course.

Wall of text yes, but this wall of text is for you :)

Ugh just makes want to play demons souls again. I really think it's my favorite game of all time.

Tower of Latria is genuinely the only time I have ever been scared in a game. Latria with the lights out, that guy banging on his cell, and being nervous as hell behind a wall as those damn squid men walk past with their lanterns, and praying you get the back stab as they pass.

I'm a big fan of the swamp stage too. Trudging through that wretched swamp was impossible back in the day without a coop team because of invasions. If you were in the swamp, invasion WAS happening.

The Plague Baby enemies we're sweet too. The first time I saw them and heard them gurgle, I was like "what the fuck is that!" Out loud, in disgust.

Last edited:

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
How into the Souls games are you herb? If you are one of the people who love the atmosphere and highly distinct and different-feeling levels of DS1 and would be into a game that has even better atmosphere, immersion and sound than DS1- then Demon Souls is for you. The Tower of Latria alone makes this game worth playing- with all the lights off, headphones or good speakers on and the biggest screen you have- it's fucking incredible. In this level you start in a prison that drives people insane, each floor is patrolled by these old-school D&D 'Mind-Flayers' who ring bells and carry lanterns. They are tough as nails, so you have to hide and wait, then pounce on them without getting stunned and mind-sucked like in Bloodborne. They also shoot soul arrows at you, and they are most of what makes the level so much fun. All the while, you are listening to the sound of the bells and the noise from the prisoners- groaning, calling out for help, wailing like banshees, etc. And the CRICKETS, oh how the sound of crickets adds to the creepiness.

I don't know if you have a PS3, but if you do I highly recommend Demon Souls, because I haven't even told you about Maiden Astrea and her boss level of Dario Argento looking and sounding horror. It's pretty much the best set-piece boss stage in the history of video games, imo of course.

Wall of text yes, but this wall of text is for you :)

I own it for ps3 just never got around to it. Maybe once I beat ds3 I'll give it a go.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Never did beat Demon's Souls :( I should have powered through or even sought out walkthroughs. Tower of Latria, for me, was quite the accomplishment when I beat it. I think I used a Halberd on those Jailer bastards. Could sneak up from behind and 2-hand 'em like a boss.

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
i've never beaten demon's souls not on "easy mode" of some sort.
a fun little regenerator build made it quite fun though.

I will say that DS3 having the MP system back is a big plus for me

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
we should really form a Demon's Souls group, and try and set a time to all get on together, maybe a few times a week to meet everyone's schedules. I could make a few low level characters, so I can jump in anytime no matter your level and wreck some shit with you. Basically we could have a main character, that we try to only level together, and some subs in case our levels get out of range to help each other. I would love to do a max play through. I think I already have a character around level 200, and a few low level characters.

I believe there's a reddit group for Demon's Souls, so that could be of use as well.

For chat we could just do a group phone chat, or something similar. I need to check, but I think there are some restrictions in game regarding chat groups, but if not I would blow a few bucks on a bluetooth headset.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Ugh just makes want to play demons souls again. I really think it's my favorite game of all time.

Tower of Latria is genuinely the only time I have ever been scared in a game. Latria with the lights out, that guy banging on his cell, and being nervous as hell behind a wall as those damn squid men walk past with their lanterns, and praying you get the back stab as they pass.

I'm a big fan of the swamp stage too. Trudging through that wretched swamp was impossible back in the day without a coop team because of invasions. If you were in the swamp, invasion WAS happening.

The Plague Baby enemies we're sweet too. The first time I saw them and heard them gurgle, I was like "what the fuck is that!" Out loud, in disgust.

Oh hell yes on the 2nd stage swamp in the Valley of Defilement. It is strangely serene and beautiful in it's own vile way, right up there with the 1st stage of the Tower of Latria I'd say. With the moonlight sword up high and Selen Vinland sitting there it's such a re-playable level. Especially since you can make your build so that you can rule that place like a poison-resistant, regenerating bad ass mofo. I should say after the PVP insanity died down that is.

we should really form a Demon's Souls group, and try and set a time to all get on together, maybe a few times a week to meet everyone's schedules. I could make a few low level characters, so I can jump in anytime no matter your level and wreck some shit with you. Basically we could have a main character, that we try to only level together, and some subs in case our levels get out of range to help each other. I would love to do a max play through. I think I already have a character around level 200, and a few low level characters.

I believe there's a reddit group for Demon's Souls, so that could be of use as well.

For chat we could just do a group phone chat, or something similar. I need to check, but I think there are some restrictions in game regarding chat groups, but if not I would blow a few bucks on a bluetooth headset.

I am 100% down for this, I'll post some ideas once I break out the PS3 again and play a couple of hours to get back into it. Awesome idea btw.

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member
Demons souls was amazing I think I posted in the dark souls thread last year about it. The only boss that pissed me off was fire lurker. But loved it's presentation. When I beat it I felt like a boss. Anyways, loving DS3, at the catacombs and fuck is that bitch hard. Loving the fan service in this game though. Has anyone found patches yet?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Demons souls was amazing I think I posted in the dark souls thread last year about it. The only boss that pissed me off was fire lurker. But loved it's presentation. When I beat it I felt like a boss. Anyways, loving DS3, at the catacombs and fuck is that bitch hard. Loving the fan service in this game though. Has anyone found patches yet?

I'm still in the catacombs as well, but mainly trying to help people. Same issues as last night, people playing poorly. The sad part is you can tell some of them know where to go, but still trigger those damn traps. Alone the level is tough,,but with a group it's not that hard if people just avoid those traps. The only time I have got a player to the boss is when they had a headset, communication is really important there. A bad helper will constantly trigger traps, and pull too many enemies and make everyone use their estus before even making it to the first bonfire. Then by the time you get to the 20 skeletons they die. I find people in this game have the same issues in coop as other souls games, to impatient, and reckless. If you just take it slow, and think it's not that tough. The hardest part is when you pull two of those agile disappearing skeletons, but that can be avoided easily by pulling, and triggering traps to kill them.

I haven't found patches yet, but I'm sure he's bad news as usual.

I'm going to beat the catacombs tomorrow. And hopefully progress a good amount.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
After the bloodborne DLC I found it to be easy as fuck.....maybe I overleveled.

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
we should really form a Demon's Souls group, and try and set a time to all get on together, maybe a few times a week to meet everyone's schedules.

I'm totally in for this.
I held on to my Demon's souls copy for this specific reason.
I've really never done co-op or pvp though, i guess not many people were playing when i made it through.

I seem to recall it being pretty difficult to return to human form. you needed to either kill a boss(in your game or someone else's) or use a stone of ephemeral eyes, right?
never had a single one drop, can you buy them from someone?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I'm still in the catacombs as well, but mainly trying to help people. Same issues as last night, people playing poorly. The sad part is you can tell some of them know where to go, but still trigger those damn traps. Alone the level is tough,,but with a group it's not that hard if people just avoid those traps. The only time I have got a player to the boss is when they had a headset, communication is really important there. A bad helper will constantly trigger traps, and pull too many enemies and make everyone use their estus before even making it to the first bonfire. Then by the time you get to the 20 skeletons they die. I find people in this game have the same issues in coop as other souls games, to impatient, and reckless. If you just take it slow, and think it's not that tough. The hardest part is when you pull two of those agile disappearing skeletons, but that can be avoided easily by pulling, and triggering traps to kill them.

I haven't found patches yet, but I'm sure he's bad news as usual.

I'm going to beat the catacombs tomorrow. And hopefully progress a good amount.

Patches is in the Catacombs? Fuck. I'm slaying his ass if he pulls some shit. He already tried to lock me in the tower at fire link.

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Patches is in the Catacombs? Fuck. I'm slaying his ass if he pulls some shit. He already tried to lock me in the tower at fire link.

LMUfoI0.jpg

StaticX

The b00bs., Z'OMG The B00BS!,
15 Year Member

Damn no eye brows and hair makes him look extra evil I guess. Maybe he is trying to get all that treasure for a nice toupee ;).

Those giant gorilla wolf mage mother fuckers in the swamp are a pain in the ass as well, their giant branch that shoots out evil skull projectiles is hard to pass through. Also didn't know this till last night, if you go hallow as in have the dark sigil in your inventory, you can only summon 1 helper as opposed to 2, that makes things a little more complicated in certain areas.

The reviews were right though, this really does feel like a true sequel to dark souls as well.

Last edited:

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I just beat High Lord Wolnir. It was surprisingly easy once I figured out his weak point.
Spoiler:
It's his bracelets. It's best to attack em with a 2 handed weapon and not lock on.

I went a little bit into Irithyll and there's a ridiculously strong mini boss of sorts right when you go onto the first bridge. That's where I stopped for today. I'll probably go all through Irithyll then go back to try the boss in Smouldering Lake as I tried him once before I took on Wolnir and he wrecked my shit :lolz:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Been doing some Co-op today in Catacombs.

Some players are soooo reckless.

Didn't realize there was voice chat in this game. Made it to Wolnir as a phantom once, but the host was an idiot and died almost immediately, lol.

At the first bonfire in my game. Probably co-op this the next couple of days to memorize the dungeon.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I just beat the Abyss Watchers and trekked through the Catacombs a bit. Found a room and was like nope, not fighting the boss yet.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Saw this posted on Polygon. Watch it if you think you're at least halfway through the game (I'm being conservative here with my spoilers):

Spoiler:

Big fucking lol.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I just beat the Abyss Watchers and trekked through the Catacombs a bit. Found a room and was like nope, not fighting the boss yet.

What level are you? I was 42 when I did the boss and he was pretty easy.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
What level are you? I was 42 when I did the boss and he was pretty easy.

I'm at 50, the AW has really been the only boss I had to fight more than twice strangely enough. Second form is urgh.

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
is soul memory still a thing?
or is it back to levels?

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I'm at 50, the AW has really been the only boss I had to fight more than twice strangely enough. Second form is urgh.

Try the Old Demon King in Smouldering Lake if you want a challenge ;)

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Tech question (I guess)- is the PS4 version pretty much immune to the "retrieving latest calibrations" error? As far as I know, lots of people who pre-downloaded the XB1 version (including me) always get a fail message when the game tries to "retrieve latest calibrations." Thus I've been stuck offline and will be indefinitely.

Between that and the hideous frame pacing issues, I'm tempted to just get the PS4 version.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Try the Old Demon King in Smouldering Lake if you want a challenge ;)

Smouldering lake is where shit gets real. I'm about level 50 and at that illith or whatever it's called town. Demon ruins are really hard too.

As for soul memory, I am not sure. In regular Co op it's hard to tell. Here's where it gets interesting though, if you password Co op, level does not matter, bit your helper is nerfed. I've successfully summoned my brother,who was over level 100, while I was level 45.

So there's that. Pretty awesome.

bartre

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
As for soul memory, I am not sure. In regular Co op it's hard to tell. Here's where it gets interesting though, if you password Co op, level does not matter, bit your helper is nerfed. I've successfully summoned my brother,who was over level 100, while I was level 45.

So there's that. Pretty awesome.

wait, so they finally made co op work smoothly?
fuck yes.