Collectards

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
You license plate shelf queen! So you're not even using the license plates on a vehicle? You need help, how dare you have a hobby involving tangible goods.

I'm a deeply disturbed individual. :keke:

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Anything physical will eventually become collectible. Anything. Be it old gas cans, road signs, pez dispensers or video games.

The PEZ dispenser museum is 10 minutes from my house, and it's absolutely insane how much these things are worth to people. Blows my mind.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
The PEZ dispenser museum is 10 minutes from my house, and it's absolutely insane how much these things are worth to people. Blows my mind.

I'm sure the same has been said of video games.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
I'm sure the same has been said of video games.

Or cars, guns, boats, beer bottles, stamps, coins, the list goes on and on. It's all relative. People collect things, this drives up costs of these things, this pisses off people who just want to use these things, and the circle won't be broken.

Unless the market falls apart like it did with beanie babies. Amassing collections of whatever will always be there. Deal with it. This thread didn't need to be made.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Unless the market falls apart like it did with beanie babies. Amassing collections of whatever will always be there. Deal with it. This thread didn't need to be made.
As a collectard of beanie babies - the market didn't crash so much as it got flooded w/over production and new lines. The 1993 through early 1995 lines still do very well - particularly the rares (beanies w/name changes, or redesigns). There are hundreds of beanies in those ranges who maintain high hundreds to a few thousand dollars in current market value.

In mid 1995 the craze started and people were buying up immediate stock at the few chains selling them (hallmark, etc) and reselling them for 300-500% markup - by early 1996 Ty Inc. had forced out the resellers by opening new lines and mass producing to keep up with demand. Those mid-1995 to early 1996 beanies crashed, but the ones that started the craze have gone up in value since then.

Last edited:

-SD-

Camel Slug
I think if you own a display stand for individual games you might want to re-examine your life.

Good lord! Display stands for loose carts. If I could be arsed I'd post an entertaining face palm gif.... but I don't think these are deserving of the effort.

CaseyTappy

Tung's Hair Stylist
I think you can play most older games these days pretty authentic without having to own the original hardware so who cares about collectards but other collectards complaining about prices they have to pay to collect .
I haven't bought a " retro " game in two years, now I am just amazed at the prices people pay these days but what people do with their money is not my concern so knock yourself out .

Last edited:

Yamazaki

Baseball Star Hitter
15 Year Member
Collecting stuff is one of the main true essences of a human being.

So nothing really bad there. If there was no "collecting/hunting" instinct in us stuff like Pokemon and probably 99% of the toys and merch industry would have never existed in the first place.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I just throw this out there...if many of you think that video game collectors are bad, you should look into the world to toy collectors.

back around 2005/6 I tried my hand at buying/selling vintage GI Joe stuff...holy shit, I had no idea how horrible collectors could e to deal with until I deal with them. They take picky/neurotic/bitchy to a whole new level.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Honestly I never considered myself a collector. I buy games in good shape that I want to play, not because I need to "catch em all". Sure there are things I always want each and every one of, but that is because they are cool as hell.

I think my problem with collectors is the hoarding. You see this shit with magic the gathering/yugioh so much. People just want playsets (4 cards) of a single card, yet asshats buy all the stock up, posting pictures of them, and control the market.

Yamazaki

Baseball Star Hitter
15 Year Member
maybe "hoarders" would be a more appropriate name for this thread.

Collectards sounds more like a general term.

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
I've literally spoken to people who openly admit they don't play any of their games, the ones that have doubles or triples of every Pokemon for GB GBC and GBA, all the Funtastic N64's, etc. It's disgusting.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I just throw this out there...if many of you think that video game collectors are bad, you should look into the world to toy collectors.

back around 2005/6 I tried my hand at buying/selling vintage GI Joe stuff...holy shit, I had no idea how horrible collectors could e to deal with until I deal with them. They take picky/neurotic/bitchy to a whole new level.

They certainly do. The worst were the McFarlane sports figures guys. Holy shit, they would camp out for the UPS truck to show up, then watch as we opened the case.

One time during my time at GameStop, one of them had called up to have a figure held. When it didn't show up in the shipment, the guy started throwing a temper tantrum like a fucking child.

HornheaDD

Viewpoint Vigilante
Fagit of the Year
I don't understand collecting/obtaining something if you don't intend to use it.

^^This.

I collect transformers and guitars. All of which get used/transformed and played/gigged. I also collect comics, but I only buy the 2 or 3 books that I'm into, and I don't buy always them on release day. I have one toy that is in it's box, but it's not sealed by any means. I've taken it out several times to transform it, play with it a bit, pose it along w the others, then I'll put it back in the box. As far as the actual 'collecting' goes, I don't just pick up anything with the DC/Marvel/Image/Whatever imprint on it. I don't pick up just any Transformer and I'm fairly picky with my guitar purchases. I only have six at the moment, but of those six, three of them are what I consider keepers. I collect what I want because I want it, not because it might skyrocket in value at some point. Never understood the point of hoarding. I don't care about pristine MVS carts, don't care about whether or not its a Japanese or US or whatever. I've got the uniBIOS set to US. So its all in english. Who gives a shit other than collectards and other collectards?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
They certainly do. The worst were the McFarlane sports figures guys. Holy shit, they would camp out for the UPS truck to show up, then watch as we opened the case.

One time during my time at GameStop, one of them had called up to have a figure held. When it didn't show up in the shipment, the guy started throwing a temper tantrum like a fucking child.

For me, it was the selling of the items that posed a massive problem.

I look at it this way, low $$ items, low risk, low time I will spend on selling it. High $$ items? Ok, fine, I'll spend the time to make the sale.

I had assholes nit pick every fucking fine point detail of every item I'd sell...no matter how little $$ was involved. I'd have some moron wanting archival level picture details made for some stupid figure worth $18. Email after email, request after request. I had other assholes demand a full refund on items because of the most absurd things. Tiny amounts of wear or scratches on fucking toys that were 30 years old...it finally got fed up with it.

I have tubs of the shit just sitting in my attic now, they've been there for years.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
When I got into whiskey I found how fucked things could be. People amass cases of limited release stuff and sit on it for years and never drink it. Why even get it if you aren't going to appreciate it. Just so other people can't appreciate it.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I think this subject needs a dedicated thread.

Collectardism is the plague that is destroying our gaming hobby. Everywhere you look, this condition is claiming more and more victims. Facebook, YouTube, NintendoAge, even here at Neo-geo.com. Any time you see someone posting pictures of a mint condition Metal Slug X US AES in an acrylic case or box protector, you are witnessing the symptoms of collectardism in action.

Because there's no current cure, the best we can do is promote preventive measures and offer support groups to those affected by this terrible disease. Do you know any loved ones who have succumbed to collectardism?

Preach on man. We know each other on other forums. I'm so over the shit and of the stuff you listed forum side NintendoAge is the largest cancer by far specifically with Nintendo stuff and second to that would be all the wannabe copy cat post youtube scum with their 'gems' videos to prop up or inflate values on games or people doing their me-too staged I found this (overly rare game or stack of...) garbage. It has driven so many assholes out of the dark corners and shadows to turn the hobby into a profit driven game of one upping the next sucker for another buck. Great you want to collect stuff cool? You want to hoard stuff that'll get dusty, good too. But when it gets to where it makes things miserable for everyone else as you're playing a part in fucking the next guys wallet worse that's when it's not cool anymore. I gave up buying Nintendo console pre2000 shit 3 years ago now because of the garbage and I'm so soured on it a year ago it drove me to pinball machines (I have a home use only PinBot) and now to arcade with my 2 slot MVS cabinet. Old ways die hard, I found gameboy and sega genesis/game gear stuff isn't rapey still if you specifically stick to carts as the trolls mostly just don't care to bother. It's a hard thing to deal with having a hobby from 1995 (buying older game to enjoy/discover something new) ruined by scum but that's where it is now.

I've noticed there some of it in the SNK world, but it's a blip compared to the abuses in Nintendoland, TG16/PCE stuff, Sega CD/Saturn type games, and some other stuff. I would throw AES in there but MVS isn't immune. What gets me is ebay. What the fuck drives people to keep re-posting unsold carts for months on end for the same inflated crap prices when other honest people will start a reasonable bin or low price to let it grow naturally. If you see a game sell all day in a $20-40 range, and you refuse to ever get off $100 on ebay -- what is your problem?! People like that make me wish ebay would STOP the free 50 a month. It would force almost all those pricks to price responsibly again instead of looking for an uneducated sucker. It's far easier to fool a chump on NES stuff than a more niche thing like Neo Geo cartridges which makes it all the more confusing.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Preach on man. We know each other on other forums. I'm so over the shit and of the stuff you listed forum side NintendoAge is the largest cancer by far specifically with Nintendo stuff and second to that would be all the wannabe copy cat post youtube scum with their 'gems' videos to prop up or inflate values on games or people doing their me-too staged I found this (overly rare game or stack of...) garbage. It has driven so many assholes out of the dark corners and shadows to turn the hobby into a profit driven game of one upping the next sucker for another buck. Great you want to collect stuff cool? You want to hoard stuff that'll get dusty, good too. But when it gets to where it makes things miserable for everyone else as you're playing a part in fucking the next guys wallet worse that's when it's not cool anymore. I gave up buying Nintendo console pre2000 shit 3 years ago now because of the garbage and I'm so soured on it a year ago it drove me to pinball machines (I have a home use only PinBot) and now to arcade with my 2 slot MVS cabinet. Old ways die hard, I found gameboy and sega genesis/game gear stuff isn't rapey still if you specifically stick to carts as the trolls mostly just don't care to bother. It's a hard thing to deal with having a hobby from 1995 (buying older game to enjoy/discover something new) ruined by scum but that's where it is now.

I've noticed there some of it in the SNK world, but it's a blip compared to the abuses in Nintendoland, TG16/PCE stuff, Sega CD/Saturn type games, and some other stuff. I would throw AES in there but MVS isn't immune. What gets me is ebay. What the fuck drives people to keep re-posting unsold carts for months on end for the same inflated crap prices when other honest people will start a reasonable bin or low price to let it grow naturally. If you see a game sell all day in a $20-40 range, and you refuse to ever get off $100 on ebay -- what is your problem?! People like that make me wish ebay would STOP the free 50 a month. It would force almost all those pricks to price responsibly again instead of looking for an uneducated sucker. It's far easier to fool a chump on NES stuff than a more niche thing like Neo Geo cartridges which makes it all the more confusing.

Are you that guy that used to work at midway?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
When I got into whiskey I found how fucked things could be. People amass cases of limited release stuff and sit on it for years and never drink it. Why even get it if you aren't going to appreciate it. Just so other people can't appreciate it.

Oh shit...that one too.

I just recently got into the bourbon/scotch market only to find this stupidity.

First off, I just cannot comprehend why someone would buy a bottle booze...only to sit it on a shelf sealed and look at it. There are "liquor collectors". Liquor collector?!? What in the flying fuck? You want to collect the bottle? Sure. The liquid inside? Why?

Then there's the grey market bullshit. $120 bottle snatched up in some under the table crap only to be put on the grey market at 10 times the cost. The Pappy Van Winkle stupidity is a prime example.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Oh shit...that one too.

I just recently got into the bourbon/scotch market only to find this stupidity.

First off, I just cannot comprehend why someone would buy a bottle booze...only to sit it on a shelf sealed and look at it. There are "liquor collectors". Liquor collector?!? What in the flying fuck? You want to collect the bottle? Sure. The liquid inside? Why?

Then there's the grey market bullshit. $120 bottle snatched up in some under the table crap only to be put on the grey market at 10 times the cost. The Pappy Van Winkle stupidity is a prime example.

Ahh, Pappy. Good example, that. When I worked in wholesale liquor distribution, our allotment of PVW was always spoken for. I've never been one for whiskey, but I've wondered what PVW tastes like.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Are you that guy that used to work at midway?

Uh yeah, we post at another board in the past or on irc? I was there a couple years at the dawn of the PS2/GC era of consoles, then was part of the online media for another 3-4 after that before I dropped out of it. My brother stuck around though, worked his way up to producer and still does it currently with that superfight game.