Collectards

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I think this subject needs a dedicated thread.

Collectardism is the plague that is destroying our gaming hobby. Everywhere you look, this condition is claiming more and more victims. Facebook, YouTube, NintendoAge, even here at Neo-geo.com. Any time you see someone posting pictures of a mint condition Metal Slug X US AES in an acrylic case or box protector, you are witnessing the symptoms of collectardism in action.

Because there's no current cure, the best we can do is promote preventive measures and offer support groups to those affected by this terrible disease. Do you know any loved ones who have succumbed to collectardism?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I heard that being a collectard ruined one member's marriage. Apparently he found minty holo labels more attractive than his wife.

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
I heard that being a collectard ruined one member's marriage. Apparently he found minty holo labels more attractive than his wife.

candy cabs and youtube videos...

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
If I was loaded I would collectard the shit out of candy cabs. A floor of my house would be Taito Heyyyyyyy

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
It's not a phenomenon exclusive to Neo Geo or video games in general. Within any given hobby, there will always be a subset of people that are only in it for the approval from others. The people buying games just to put on a shelf or in a display case forever are the same ones that buy cars they'll never drive, books (especially comics) they'll never read, etc.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Collecting comics and not reading just seems like a crime. I have a buddy that buys so many books a month that he is so far behind, but doesn't want to miss an issue in case it skyrockets in price. 10-15 series that have over 15 books of backlog per for him. So sad.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
That's a pretty extreme example but there's nothing wrong with having a backlog in general. I own dozens of games I haven't gotten to yet but I've never bought one I don't intend to play at some point. In the mid summer when few games come out and most TV shows and sports are on hiatus I generally will jump into the backlog.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
I don't understand collecting/obtaining something if you don't intend to use it. There was a time when I was concerned about actually owning games I wanted to play because I felt it was the most authentic, and therefore, the best and only way to play a game. As time has gone on though, I have realized I that I will never be able to play all of the games I want to try, maybe not even the ones I already own and haven't gotten around to yet, and that it is impossible to obtain every game I want. This realization along with obtaining flash carts pretty much finished my collecting. The only time I buy a game now is when it is a genre I really like (RPG), a niche product, like from Water Melon games, or a series I have been following for a long time (RE). Even then, I still might not get around to playing the game. On the odd occasion I buy a game from them, the guys at Game Stop ask me if I want to insure the game or whatever the hell they do, and I tell them no because I don't even know when I will get around to playing the game, so there is no need to worry about wearing out the disc. I'm much more selective with the games I play now. I'm trying to beat the original Contra right now. :annoyed:

Add to that the whole collcturd thing and the skewing of prices and I'm pretty much done with any collecting I did. I deleted my ebay account about a year ago and i don't miss it.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Collecting is a way of giving worthless things value in order to perceive your own inferiority as supremacy. To bereave people from this basic pleasure is denying your own humanity. Of course, keeping in mind, that ultimately every pop-culture outcome is useless trash, we end up tilting at windmills. To sum it up: There's no better reflection on life, than collecting such items. And it's okay, cause after we're gone, we can at least leave positive feedback.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
Anything physical will eventually become collectible. Anything. Be it old gas cans, road signs, pez dispensers or video games.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
I'm a collectard/hoarder for old license plates and t-shirts from bands/places.

Somebody stop meh. :keke:

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Would anyone care about collectors if games were as cheap as they were 10 years ago?
Would anyone care about collecting games if they were as cheap as they were 10 years ago?

That is the question.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Would anyone care about collectors if games were as cheap as they were 10 years ago?
Would anyone care about collecting games if they were as cheap as they were 10 years ago?

That is the question.

I think it's the rate at which prices are increasing these days. Creates a sort of mass hysteria that fuels the price hikes even more.

We're all fucked.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Play your damn games is the moral of this thread.

BeefJerky

Computerstaat Funster
20 Year Member
No, it's never open a HMG thread.

PC51014.jpg

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
I'm a collectard/hoarder for old license plates and t-shirts from bands/places.

Somebody stop meh. :keke:

You license plate shelf queen! So you're not even using the license plates on a vehicle? You need help, how dare you have a hobby involving tangible goods.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
VGA-only, must have 1000 posts on nintendoage, limited edition repro just for the "true" fans.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
The only game I have shelved is Euro Version Mega Man 1 complete because I have like 4 other versions of the game. However i did play the actual cart and beat it.