Car Enthusiast Thread

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
My colleague from Ireland said she was amazed at the car culture when she came to North America. Cars are tools to them, not a part of your identity. I certainly see her point. We spend ridiculous amounts on these vehicles that are mostly recreational. Granted, we have an incredible highway system.

In reality, most of us would be just fine with a Chevy Spark. 4 door, 4 seats, and decent trunk.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
rented a 2017 suburban for a week, 'living room on wheels' describes it perfectly

when u drop the seats its the size of a small leather upholstered apartment

would rent again

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Don't they sell Alfa Romeo in Ireland?
Yeah. But who wants to buy a used mito, 5 speed, cloth seats, and the 1.3 diesel? Sure it's nice to look at. But it isn't fast. It isn't wild. It isn't an Alfa. I had a friend who had a 1980s Alfa Romeo GTV6. Rear transaxle, inboard rear brakes, 2.5 Alfa motor (not just a rebadged fiat engine). He went through the trouble of fully restoring it. Painstakingly working over every inch. She was exotic, she was quick, the gorgeous lines on that giugiaro designed body. Even the smell of the leather. The car was magnificent. Modern Alfa Romeos lack this. The charisma, the presence, the X factor. Maybe their new sports cars are the exception. But I can't afford one.

MySoberCompanion

Formerly the Drunk, known as Tyrandom.,
Yeah. But who wants to buy a used mito, 5 speed, cloth seats, and the 1.3 diesel?

Wasn't talking about that toy car, I mean a 159 2.4 jtd or 1750Tb that are quite cheap, reliable and very fun to drive.
The Giulietta 1.4 170hp is the best alternative to the "usual" Golf.

The new Giulia is wonderful, rear wheel drive is back ;)

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Wasn't talking about that toy car, I mean a 159 2.4 jtd or 1750Tb that are quite cheap, reliable and very fun to drive.
The Giulietta 1.4 170hp is the best alternative to the "usual" Golf.

The new Giulia is wonderful, rear wheel drive is back ;)
I do love the new giulia, have to wait 10 years before I can get a used one. But I can wait haha.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
f-pace-45.jpg

Jaguar has really shit the bed since they were bought by Ford. First the X-type, and the station wagon, now an SUV.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
f-pace-45.jpg

Jaguar has really shit the bed since they were bought by Ford. First the X-type, and the station wagon, now an SUV.

Ford hasn't owned Jag since 2008....

say what you will about the x-type, but it was the first time in decades that Jaguar had a reliable car. Ford ownership was the only time Jaguar topped any reliability charts.
I would still love to own a Ford Jaguar XKR coupe.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
^My bad, tbh they've always been shitty cars. I'd really dig an old XJS:
007.jpg

Last edited:

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Ford hasn't owned Jag since 2008....

say what you will about the x-type, but it was the first time in decades that Jaguar had a reliable car. Ford ownership was the only time Jaguar topped any reliability charts.
I would still love to own a Ford Jaguar XKR coupe.
I think if you go far back enough on this forum you might hear me talk about. The XJ6 I had. It was my first car that was mine, wasn't shared, or borrowed from my parents. It was a huge turd (it was brown even) long wheelbase version, 1977, the ugly American bumpers, the split leather, Lucas electrics, weird dual fuel tank design. But man when the sun caught her in the right light, when the engine just ticked away quietly, when the trans shifted through the gears smoothly, and the air conditioning blew out cold air that had a faint scent of old leather and cigar. The chrome bits sparkled, that car in all of its ragged, ratchety, aged glory was gorgeous. She was glorious after a wash, wax, and a carb rebuild. She had the patina of a slice of 70s opulence. The flavor of a vintage Pinot. And for a while; a few fresh, fleeting moments, you felt like a king of industry in the 70s. Coiffed hair, brown suit, orange tie, thick tache, and all of the panache of a made man who had finally made it.

I loved that car. I hated that car. A gm trans, and air conditioner, new Pistons, new distributor, new carbs, full rebuild, new tires, new exhaust pipes after the old ones fell off somewhere between my high school and home. She was work. Sold her for less than I bought her for. And not a day goes by I don't miss that brown beast. The series 2 XJ didn't have a leaping cat on the hood. And far be it from me to muddle with William Lyons design. Pure class that car was. Driving from high point to low point. Stranded on the side of the road, towing it home, working well into the night, I'd not change a thing.

Someday I'll have another old jag.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
When people ask me what it is I love about the US, I show them stuff like this:

America was like a different planet from the 50s up until maybe the 90s.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I took the summer beater out for a little autocross time yesterday.

gKOEhRs.jpg

eLMA6pd.jpg

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
Sold my old Porsche 944 this past week. Was kind of a sad day, as it was such an interesting little vehicle that still looked nice, at least on the outside. Engine in the front, transmission in the back, and more horsepower than normal for a 4 cylinder of that era. Most of the guards were made of steel, but the aluminum engine kept the weight below 3000 pounds. Engine was quite reliable, and it drove like it was on rails.

But the interior was the hardest part of maintaining one. The dash tends to get cracks that are not really repairable, and good luck finding a full replacement for a decent price. Other odd degradations happen to other parts of the car interior over time, and the seats have to be replaced eventually. Meanwhile, I was being taxed on it as if it was a collectible in concourse quality shape. It just wasn't worth it anymore.

Bye bye, 944, it was fun while it lasted, and you were a nice first car. As I am all grown up now, I could afford much better these days, including modern Porsches. But I still feel a little sentiment for the older models, as they had a certain something. Weird as it may sound, not sure I wouldn't mind having a 968 if I could find a good one from 1995.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
What kind of money are you talking per vehicle?

Looks like it varies by county but a quick look online has people reporting from $300 on cars valued just under 10k to nearly $1000 on cars valued at $40k.

I'm thinking Sneth pays a good chunk for that 996...ouch

Does Missouri have state emissions or safety inspections?

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Looks like it varies by county but a quick look online has people reporting from $300 on cars valued just under 10k to nearly $1000 on cars valued at $40k.

I'm thinking Sneth pays a good chunk for that 996...ouch

Does Missouri have state emissions or safety inspections?

Yeah, it's about $50 for each motorcycle, $500 for the mercedes, and $900 for the Porsche 997

we do have emissions and state safety inspections that are required for each renewal. Max renewal is 2 years after 1st year. No emissions on motorcycles or classic cars.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
We had nothing of the sort in Texas. People would riot in the streets over something like that.

but they have it here. Emissions based for cars after 2008. Engine sized based for cars before then. Flat rate for cars over 25 years of age. My 2008 Skoda with a 1.6 4 banger is 600 a year. My last car an 07 Citroen C2 with a 1.6 as well (but more power) was 500 a year. The emissions based system costs me more. This is why the pre 2008 RX8 is such a hot car here. It's listed as a 1.3 so tax on it is not much. Whereas post 08 models with the emissions based tax system will rape you.

Lesson learned: keep your daily driver small, low powered, and boring. And have a fun weekend car that's 30 years old.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Just a little Fabia, 100 hp 1.6. Not the VRS or any of the diesel variants (I won't use the Devils juice) she does a good job, she's the automatic because I got sick of manuals for daily driving. Had to get something with 4 doors because the missus wouldn't shut up about it. I know it's just a rebadged Volkswagen polo. It's even got that Volkswagen smell inside. But I really like the little brown menace.

MetalSludge

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
Fuck Virginia annual value tax on cars.

Yeah, one of our governor elections was practically decided by a guy running who promised to tone down the car tax, revealing how hated it was. It was never fully eliminated though, and certainly discourages maintaining aging collectibles, unless you keep them so sweet they can be sold for as much or more than they were purchased for maybe. The 944 did get a pass on emissions testing, and could be renewed for tags for three years at a time, but those were relatively minor points relative to the tax.