Car Enthusiast Thread

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate
Most of the offerings are pretty decent looking at the moment. Pure styling wise? I'll lay it down like this:

#1- Toyota Tundra- Love the new styling of this truck, my only gripe (minor) is the massive chrome front end. I don't like chrome on trucks. Other than that, I feel this is the best looking truck on the market.

#2- Nissan Titan- It's a bit "extreme" in a few aspects, but this is still one nice looking truck. In my mind, a solid second place.

#3- Chevy Silverado- I love the front ed now that they've dropped the chrome and went to body color. Seriously, nicest front end on any truck. The problem is, the rest of the body screams "old man truck" Plain, boring. Still a string 3d place. (the GMC version is ugly, BTW)

#4- Ford F-150- yay...let's completely redesign a truck...and make it look like the last one! I love Ford, I really do, but this truck is just boring to look at. To add to it, they are freaking costly.

#Z- Dodge 1500. This truck looks tired, and old. They've massaged a few thing here and there, but this truck has been around for way too long (2002 I believe). There is a redesign coming, but they just keep pushing it out farther and farther. meanwhile, their competition has had new vehicles out for years now.

New Tacoma is nice, minus that front end! I think there is a resurgence in building off road style trucks, and the Tacoma seems like a popular platform where I live. Kind of crazy to think some are paying 45k + for a fully loaded 4x4 tacoma, and from what I see dealers don't discount the higher end models.

As for Dodge looking tired and old, I see where you are coming from, but I still think it looks good! Has that rugged look I prefer.

The Nissan does have its moments, but I can't get over how quickly they lost value. The previous generation wasn't a bad looking either. I just think people aren't use to getting full size Japanese trucks, and this one was the one that ended up being the runt.

The Chevy to me, is the truck to beat atm. Some angles are really nice, especially on some of the special editions. The sides of the truck leaves a lot to be desired. I think the designers spent all their budget and time designing a clean front end, and forgot about the rest of the truck.

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate
Let's not pretend they have originality within Japan either. Aside from technical projects, and flagship models a lot of the basic white goods cars/people carriers get blended together.

You make a great point. The funny part is when they try to change that way of doing things, they end up making changes that are to extreme, and the cars don't sell as well.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member

Just picked up this bad boy :D 2017 dodge challenger scatpack 392 with 6 speed manual. I custom ordered it 8 weeks ago. This was at the dealer just took a quick snapshot before leaving cause the weather was really crappy. I will get some more pics hopefully this weekend if the weather is better and post them up :glee:

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate

Just picked up this bad boy :D 2017 dodge challenger scatpack 392 with 6 speed manual. I custom ordered it 8 weeks ago. This was at the dealer just took a quick snapshot before leaving cause the weather was really crappy. I will get some more pics hopefully this weekend if the weather is better and post them up :glee:

Very nice car!

How much HP and torque?

Manual transmissions seem to be disappearing here in America : (

Glad you were able to get a manual trans, what other options did you order?

Enjoy the ride, and hopefully you get no speeding tickets.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
i dont know. I think a torque converter would be better for something like that. That manual is going to take a beating even with a good driver.
Manuals are disappearing for good reason. I would have no problem updating to a PDK.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Very nice car!

How much HP and torque?

Manual transmissions seem to be disappearing here in America : (

Glad you were able to get a manual trans, what other options did you order?

Enjoy the ride, and hopefully you get no speeding tickets.

Thanks for the kind words :) I didnt order a lot as the base package of the scatpack already came with a great deal of options only thing I added was a block heater and the premium alpine sound system. 6 speed manual actually comes standard in this vehicle the auto is an option but I love shifting through the gears :-J . the 6.4L hemi makes 485 Hp and 475 lb ft of torque, she is a beast! There is a 500 mile break in before I can really open her up only 120 miles on it right now.

i dont know. I think a torque converter would be better for something like that. That manual is going to take a beating even with a good driver.
Manuals are disappearing for good reason. I would have no problem updating to a PDK.

Your'e definitely right on that, however I LOVE manual transmissions you just feel so much more involved and in control. I bought this car knowing full well that the 8 spd auto is half a second faster 0-60 and could be less problems but I dont care about numbers really I just wanted to get what I would have the most fun with :D

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
it could potentially lead to better resale as well. manuals typically sell for more in the Porsche community.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member

The manual is a dinosaur. After living with a few over the years living here when I finally got myself back into an auto it was a breath of fresh air. My little Skoda has a dsg box, perfect for commuting, puttering around town. A manual to me is something for a weekend sports car, not day to day life. I'm glad they're fading away. Even if it took the rise in hybrids, and flappy paddle shifters to be nails in that coffin.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
The manual is a dinosaur. After living with a few over the years living here when I finally got myself back into an auto it was a breath of fresh air. My little Skoda has a dsg box, perfect for commuting, puttering around town. A manual to me is something for a weekend sports car, not day to day life. I'm glad they're fading away. Even if it took the rise in hybrids, and flappy paddle shifters to be nails in that coffin.

Thats exactly what this car is a weekend fun car. I have a truck with an auto that I drive around during the week.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
You guys ever watch (or go to) those mecum car auctions that are always on? I'm not a car guy by any means, but I love checking out the cool stuff that rolls up to the block.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Pay off the truck smoke.

I know I'm resident cheapass, but seriously, trading in cars every 3 years means you'll never own one of them, you'll be in a continual monthly payment cycle for an eternity.

I don't know much about the Ram as far as reliability, but modern cars and trucks are extraordinarily reliable. Maybe you'll need to learn to do a little bit of your own maintenance but honestly, even if you take it to the shop you'll come out ahead. People tend to view a couple thousand dollar repairs as a reason to get back into the payment cycle. Instead, think of the several thousand dollars that you were previously paying into a vehicle loan while the vehicle itself simultaneously loses value.

Just my opinion though.

Modern cars are indeed very reliable. I have owned mine for 12 and 8 years with just the usual maintenance. When I was in my 20s I was always buying/selling/trading cars. Just don't give a shit any more. I will run both of these until the engines or transmissions fail.

sr20det510

Whip's Subordinate
You guys ever watch (or go to) those mecum car auctions that are always on? I'm not a car guy by any means, but I love checking out the cool stuff that rolls up to the block.

Auto auctions and classic car shows/swapmeets are fun. It's crazy how a car that was 10k in the late 80s and early 90's can go for 50k today.

Wish I would've known that when I bought a used 5.0 on the late 80s.if I would've picked up a 60s fast back or a Califoria Special I'd have a nice down payment on a house.

Instead I have a 5.0 that's been sitting in my driveway for the past 6 years. I told myself I'd fix it up one day, but I don't want to spend more money on paint and body work than I originally paid for the car.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Auto auctions and classic car shows/swapmeets are fun. It's crazy how a car that was 10k in the late 80s and early 90's can go for 50k today.

Wish I would've known that when I bought a used 5.0 on the late 80s.if I would've picked up a 60s fast back or a Califoria Special I'd have a nice down payment on a house.

Instead I have a 5.0 that's been sitting in my driveway for the past 6 years. I told myself I'd fix it up one day, but I don't want to spend more money on paint and body work than I originally paid for the car.

cars are money sinks. Even those amazing cars at the auctions had tons of $$$ dumped on them while they were sitting idle.
If you are not willing to put some time and money into that car, it's probably time to let it go. I miss some of my project vehicles, but they are better off in another person's garage if you arent touching it.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Well I must be in the minority at least some of you agree though debt is a bad thing. I drive an 05 Wrangler that I off road to death. It was my brothers before it was mine. And have been driving it ever since.

IMG_20170401_124940870~04~01.jpg

I do all my own work. Front and rear bumpers with tire mount, rocker guards, warn powerplant, OME springs, tera flex disconnects, hardtop, banks ram air, hella lights, front and rear glide plates, rancho 9000xl shocks. 69k miles, 6 speed manual.

My brother bought it new in '05 i have had it since '11. The best offroad trail vehicle I have ever owned.

Edit: clean pic
IMG_20170413_073154957~01.jpg

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Do you daily the jeep, or is it more of a weekend vehicle?
I'm always intrigued by the utility and function of everything in a Jeep. The problem is the road noise is ridiculous. Need to shout if it's a soft top.
I know people still scoff at the 4door versions, but the space is really needed. 2door jeeps have no trunk space with the rear seats in place. A Chevy Spark has more usable space.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Do you daily the jeep, or is it more of a weekend vehicle?
I'm always intrigued by the utility and function of everything in a Jeep. The problem is the road noise is ridiculous. Need to shout if it's a soft top.
I know people still scoff at the 4door versions, but the space is really needed. 2door jeeps have no trunk space with the rear seats in place. A Chevy Spark has more usable space.

Was a daily, then I picked up a beater for daily now its a weekend warrior.

I removed my soft tip and bought that top. Best decision I ever made. Road noise is minor now but the tires dont help, mud terrains.

My parents have a 4 door and in my opinion if I ever buy a new jeep, I am buying a 4 door. The length is what kills them its so rare where that narrower wheel base is needed. Plus lifted they look and ride sweet. The JK improved alot over my TJ jeep.

2 kids, 2 dogs, my wife and I cramp that cab. I load the kids laps with blankets and camp stuff still. I had a buddy weld that rack above the tire which helps immensely.

Bought a jumping jack trailer last fall cant wait to use it. It will be better to haul everything on and save the kids laps.

From everything I have seen the 4 door is very viable.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
My dad bought a later TJ Wrangler a while back, manual transmission. I got to drive it occasionally for a few months while at home from college. After that experience I am most decidedly not a Jeep person, but I can respect it for what it is, brutish, simple, decidedly not sporty. I could definitely see where fun could be had off road, but on road on the big knobby tires it had that rubbed if you turned too tight it was noisy, too weirdly torque-y for regular driving, and just not enough fun even with the top off. Plus it got god awful gas mileage. I do think I'd like an old CJ-2a though but more for the novelty than the driving dynamics.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I work from home and travel as necessary so I don't mind a manual. It can get a bit tiresome when I'm traveling during rush hour in Chicago, but otherwise I don't mind a manual as I've been driving manuals longer than automatic. I guess if I drove regularly like most people I'd lean more towards an auto at this point, even on a higher performance car.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
I learned on a manual, and have always owned and driven a manual for the 10 cars or so I've owned in the 25 years since. Totally agree that technically the manual is a dinosaur, but emotionally I like having more direct control of the car's torque, engine revs and clutch engagement. Whenever I do drive an automatic, I feel bored and detached.

It'll be a sad day for me when a stick shift is completely unavailable. Shopping is already becoming more difficult since now in the US if a vehicle has a manual available at all, it's only in the entry level model with the weakest engine. My most recent car is a 2010 Mazdaspeed 3, and everyone I talked to when I was shopping was trying to push one of those manumatics on me. Sorry - no clutch, no deal.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
It'll be a sad day for me when a stick shift is completely unavailable. Shopping is already becoming more difficult since now in the US if a vehicle has a manual available at all, it's only in the entry level model with the weakest engine. My most recent car is a 2010 Mazdaspeed 3, and everyone I talked to when I was shopping was trying to push one of those manumatics on me. Sorry - no clutch, no deal.
that is the entire car market here. Base model, manual, small engine, cloth seats, front wheel drive, junk. Cars are white goods. Buy it, own it a while, then flush it for a new one. What options do you want? None of them thanks. People here are so cheap, so frugal the majority of cars are black and grey because they're the free color packages. It is unreal how little specifications people choose for their cars here.

So when buying used you are either awash in a sea of boredom. Or looking for a diamond in the rough. I've owned two manual cars in my time here. At first I was fine with it, figured it's what everyone else drives. But soon realized that they do things here completely wrong. Optional extras should always be added. Leather, touch screens, sat nav, the auto box, iPod connectivity, something. I got sick and tired of the base model basement that is here, and hunted out something with a little luxury. And my next car will have a little more.

And if I ever bought a new car here the dealers would wet their pants at the boxes I'd tick on the options list. How you can go to a Renault, Honda, Toyota, Opel, Volkswagen, Skoda, or whoever dealer. And go. I'll have the new Clio, Civic, Corolla, Astra, Golf, Fabia. But I don't even want electric Windows. It's just beyond me. This is something you'll be living with for the next 3-5 years, maybe longer. Do you not want something that makes you happy and is more than just transport?

Case in point: the other day in work. Me and four other guys are looking out the window to the parking lot below. And one of them goes "what car would you have down there if you could have any?" I decided on an rx8 that was parked down below. Didn't care if it was 2007 model year, or what ever. I saw it was the red and black leather, throw it around the corner, don't forget to warm up the rotors, fun machine. Everyone else picked a 2017 Nissan... Because of resale value. Maybe I'm the child here. But come on Ireland. A car isn't just a machine to take you from a to b. It is a friend, a companion, a part of the family. It is not a marriage of convenience, and not an exercise in frugality. It's a marriage of love, and you should never, ever buy just the base model. They say you can't truly buy happiness. But in a fully loaded, brand new, BMW you get pretty damn close.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
that is the entire car market here. Base model, manual, small engine, cloth seats, front wheel drive, junk. Cars are white goods. Buy it, own it a while, then flush it for a new one. What options do you want? None of them thanks. People here are so cheap, so frugal the majority of cars are black and grey because they're the free color packages. It is unreal how little specifications people choose for their cars here.

So when buying used you are either awash in a sea of boredom. Or looking for a diamond in the rough. I've owned two manual cars in my time here. At first I was fine with it, figured it's what everyone else drives. But soon realized that they do things here completely wrong. Optional extras should always be added. Leather, touch screens, sat nav, the auto box, iPod connectivity, something. I got sick and tired of the base model basement that is here, and hunted out something with a little luxury. And my next car will have a little more.

And if I ever bought a new car here the dealers would wet their pants at the boxes I'd tick on the options list. How you can go to a Renault, Honda, Toyota, Opel, Volkswagen, Skoda, or whoever dealer. And go. I'll have the new Clio, Civic, Corolla, Astra, Golf, Fabia. But I don't even want electric Windows. It's just beyond me. This is something you'll be living with for the next 3-5 years, maybe longer. Do you not want something that makes you happy and is more than just transport?

Case in point: the other day in work. Me and four other guys are looking out the window to the parking lot below. And one of them goes "what car would you have down there if you could have any?" I decided on an rx8 that was parked down below. Didn't care if it was 2007 model year, or what ever. I saw it was the red and black leather, throw it around the corner, don't forget to warm up the rotors, fun machine. Everyone else picked a 2017 Nissan... Because of resale value. Maybe I'm the child here. But come on Ireland. A car isn't just a machine to take you from a to b. It is a friend, a companion, a part of the family. It is not a marriage of convenience, and not an exercise in frugality. It's a marriage of love, and you should never, ever buy just the base model. They say you can't truly buy happiness. But in a fully loaded, brand new, BMW you get pretty damn close.

Problem is, assuming the market in Ireland is similar to the UK, very very few people buy brand new. Most new cars make it onto the market via lease companies, and these are not the guys to leave in control of selecting the specs for a new car. They're accountants. Try it out, next 10 brand new cars that turn up in your life, ask the owners how they bought them. I'm willing to bet 1 of the 10 went to the dealership and was handed a range of options to pick from.

I do feel some sympathy for people who think of their cars as white goods though, low to mid range cars i just cannot get excited about. Who gives a shit about electric seats in a Toyota.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
At least it seems like on the isles, people using cars as appliances have reduced them to the most basic functions of a car as opposed to here in the states where everyone wants a loaded up living room on wheels that will keep them in their lane and stop for them so they can maximize their texting and other distractions instead of being bothered with driving.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Problem is, assuming the market in Ireland is similar to the UK, very very few people buy brand new. Most new cars make it onto the market via lease companies, and these are not the guys to leave in control of selecting the specs for a new car. They're accountants. Try it out, next 10 brand new cars that turn up in your life, ask the owners how they bought them. I'm willing to bet 1 of the 10 went to the dealership and was handed a range of options to pick from.

I do feel some sympathy for people who think of their cars as white goods though, low to mid range cars i just cannot get excited about. Who gives a shit about electric seats in a Toyota.

I don't doubt that. Company cars are kind of standard once you get into middle management. And it's always the same. Mondeo, 3 series, maybe an avensis. Diesel, 5 speed, dull as fuck. So I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if the individual buyer was the minority, and the fleet buyer was the common thing.

And lithy, if I'm honest. For commuting I love a living room with wheels. I love the idea of coming home from work in a car that is full of all the comforts and pleasures of lazing on a Sunday afternoon. I love the idea of my drive home being a decompression from the rigors of work. Then on the weekends I'd like something more Spartan and visceral. Something with less amenities, more speed, and a wild streak. Monday to Friday I'll take an S500. Weekends an S2000. Two completely different machines with two completely different styles.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I like your style kim. Individuality and accessioriiiiies are the spice of life. Plus it really does differentiate your vehicle from everyone elses, and thats when it becomes more then just a driver to being something personal.

On a side note my jeep is definitely not a couch on wheels. More like a rock tumbling down a hill.

And that's the way I like it.