Brikin'ger/Iron Clad Coming To The Wii Virtual Console

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
NGCD exclusives are well and good, but those are games we already are able to play. I'd love to see something unreleased make it onto a collection or as a download. I'm not complaining though. I'm rejoicing about this release.

Indeed.

We know some games were really just a step ahead of their release, and I mean flyer printed and distributed and all. That's the case of Sunshine, DunkStar and Hebereke no Pair Pair Wars at least. Plus, Shinryuu Senki was also well ahead in its development.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Nice find BBH! The ROM bars are the same of the NGCD ver (blocks!) I don't have by hand screenshot of Xacrow proto...blocky bars too?

I think it was just an early screenshot they used for the flyer, and they later changed how the lifebar worked. I don't see any option to change it from blocks to bar, so it's likely something that was changed entirely and can't be enabled. (much like the changes in program roms between the two versions of Shock Troopers)

NGCD exclusives are well and good, but those are games we already are able to play. I'd love to see something unreleased make it onto a collection or as a download. I'm not complaining though. I'm rejoicing about this release.

If nothing else I think it is fantastic that this game is preserved in MVS form because it finally gave me a chance to listen to the original music. The music was re-arranged for CD and there was no way to hear what the original tunes sounded like until now. Although the original tunes pale in comparison to the CD, it's nice to actually hear the original versions, ya know?

While most everyone (myself included) would like to see different protos, I think it's amazing enough that this got released at all.

caren103

King's Dry Cleaner
I think it was just an early screenshot they used for the flyer, and they later changed how the lifebar worked. I don't see any option to change it from blocks to bar, so it's likely something that was changed entirely and can't be enabled. (much like the changes in program roms between the two versions of Shock Troopers)

If nothing else I think it is fantastic that this game is preserved in MVS form because it finally gave me a chance to listen to the original music. The music was re-arranged for CD and there was no way to hear what the original tunes sounded like until now. Although the original tunes pale in comparison to the CD, it's nice to actually hear the original versions, ya know?

While most everyone (myself included) would like to see different protos, I think it's amazing enough that this got released at all.

Hope somebody from SNKP reads all this and be delighted seeing that the NG community is very happy with their Wii release... and so they keep releasing more "obscure" MVS roms on the Wii!!!!

Somebody with contacts at SNKP could congratulate them for the release, and encourage them to give us more unreleased Roms while earning money with the VC sales?

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Hope somebody from SNKP reads all this and be delighted seeing that the NG community is very happy with their Wii release... and so they keep releasing more "obscure" MVS roms on the Wii!!!!

Somebody with contacts at SNKP could congratulate them for the release, and encourage them to give us more unreleased Roms while earning money with the VC sales?

If they're a hit on the VC more titles will come.:buttrock:

I doubt they pay us much attention.

While the VC is a larger, newer audience for SNKP to explore/exploit.

neo_frank

Captain Shlong,
First of all I just gotta say this is some exciting news, second of all I cant believe that someone paid $500 for that converted cart, I just hope they werent under the impression it was a true proto.

Finally I dunno if anyone else has noticed, and maybe there is a good explanation, but I havent seen this before, but when playing the game with a euro bios the whole game is a lot dimmer/darker when compared to a japanese or usa bios

Euro Bios
10igxo4.png

Japanese Bios
2upqnbt.png

Ever seen this before? any ideas?

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member

Something tells me that they won't feel very delighted knowing that something new they released was hacked for use on emulators....

Buying the game on the VC would certainly be the best way to show support, but it's Japan-only for the moment and I don't even have a Wii, sooo...

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member

thanks for the clarification, but I was trying to investigate the relationship between Xacrow proto and the pre-beta-flyer version (and consecutively similarity with the wii ver) not why the bars changed per se.
While I'm aware that it's common to publish some pictures of early stage development, this time I was trying to understand if Xacrow possess something different in some other way than watermarking.
Ie. Metallizer understood my reasoning, commenting that indeed Xacrow screenshot cannot say 100% if lifebars are blocky or not, so we'll probably never really know.

But of course all this is just funny chit-chat.

I agree about your point on SNK thoughts...neo-geo died cause of bootleggerz, and I'm not sure they could be glad that someone is $elling boots (which in the end is probably the most noticeable effect to them).

Anyway, I really hope something else will popup... but this christmas is already safe to me! :)

this game gets interesting if you play for highscore, since you have to charge up the pod and do physical attacks to get bonus points.

:vik:

neo_frank

probably related with the romset you´re using.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
SNK has to realize that all VC games have the capability of being pirated. Now people making bootlegs and selling them for profit under the guise of a "service" is pretty wrong. It's no different than selling burned CDRs for a profit.

caren103

King's Dry Cleaner
Yes, but a lot of the VC games have been available on rom/iso playable on emulators for a long time, and nevertheless they have been released on the VC, and hopefully have made some money.

A lot of people with Wii doesn't even know that they can freely find the rom and play it on an emulator; or don't want to deal with an emulator and PC.

And regarding the release on MVS/AES carts, well, I think the impact on sales for the VC game will be absolutely marginal.

EDIT: What SNKP should do is an official AES release for fans :-) .

Last edited:

Strider77

Zero's Secretary
I want this on MVS now.... someone make me one. OH.... forgot the magic word, please.

Battlesmurf

Edo Express Delivery Guy
haha- that's nuts. 8 bids before someone bought it now, too.

So- fess up- who was it? :D

acg12xu

Trippin' Balls
After reading through this topic I can't help but to think of the saying, "the flutter of a butterfly's wing can ultimately cause a typhoon halfway around the world." :lolz:

I wish they would release it in the US already. I would pay $9 for it.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I don't think the arranged soundtrack on the CD is superior. I like chiptunes. I think both versions have their merits, and am thrilled to see that we have two different versions of the soundtrack now. I share your enthusiasm, this is long-lost Neo music.

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
I don't think the arranged soundtrack on the CD is superior. I like chiptunes. I think both versions have their merits, and am thrilled to see that we have two different versions of the soundtrack now. I share your enthusiasm, this is long-lost Neo music.

Same here. I always thought chiptune bgms are better fitting with 16-bitmap gfx games. The arranged trax I'd like to have on a nice collection of the original JPN music CD releases by Scitron.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
The arranged trax I'd like to have on a nice collection of the original JPN music CD releases by Scitron.

I bought recently on yahoo japan that CD, with complete spine/sticker and reg. card, for around 3000yen.

Yesterday it was bought for 6800yen on YJP, and for 199$ (!!) (TokyoFactory) on Ebay (both buynow).

SkyRocket time! hihi!

Edit:
quick reference, TokyoFactory auction:

burikinga-scitron.jpg

Last edited:

Shito

King of Typists,
20 Year Member
Yeah Massi, I know about that, but I was referring to the whole 'arranged CD tracks vs original synth' thing. :)

Nice to know you got yourself one of those. Scitron CDs are always beautiful. Maybe there's no need to show off that badly though (you're even linking a pic from another source, and reporting about the price of an item 'sky rocketing' here and there, c'mon... get a grip, man!)

BTW, here is a sketch I did last night sparing 30 mins of my photoshop time.

Brikinger_prova1.jpg

That's just a sketch about how I plan to use the original flyer illustration to create a JPN style insert. Spine it's not to be considered in that tentative design, I just wrote the title on a plain color backdrop as a placeholder (I didn't even take the time to change the genre stripe...). Plus the meg count is obviously wrong (again, just a placeholder). :)

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Isn't it kind of strange they sold a soundtrack CD for a game that they didn't even bother to release in arcades? Someone must have worked hard on that CD soundtrack.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
Yeah Massi, I know about that, but I was referring to the whole 'arranged CD tracks vs original synth' thing. :)

Nice to know you got yourself one of those. Scitron CDs are always beautiful. Maybe there's no need to show off that badly though (you're even linking a pic from another source, and reporting about the price of an item 'sky rocketing' here and there, c'mon... get a grip, man!)

jeez, it's been a while I noticed you think a little too much about the things I post (or I 0wn) but in the end, thanks for showing that interest in me, I kinda appreciate.

Anyway, the skyrocket thing is what it is, not about me or what you already could know, plz don't overestimate the relevance (if any) of your words when I post something.

It's about underlining that the hype has begun, raising prices for stuff which not so long time ago was instead affordable, with detailed prices as possible and relative pictures, to corroborate this kind of effect.

And yes, I'm sorry if you'll have to pay more, or pass this item, just cause this rom popped up, but this is part of the drama too!

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
...or when you can put a Neo CD in a CD player and play the music straight. :p
Often the game CDs didn't have the full length versions of music tracks. Don't recall if that's the case for Ironclad.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
So, is Werejag or anyone going to be making these readily available?

Also, do we have a list of sac-able carts? I have a few lying around that are broken originals and bootlegs that used original boards that could potentially be sacrificed, without destroying any working originals...