Anyone have 150 bucks I can borrow?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
If you for some reason want one, look to see if Aliexpress will make one for $65 shipped. Free rom so they probably could.
Yeah, this is the perfect solution if you don't need the super goob edition. Kick Artemio $5-10 and then get one made.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Typical current-gen Neo fan stuff. Even if you built something completely mundane, just put it on a transparent cart, throw some JPN-style artwork on it and make sure to needlessly limit the release to let the outrageous price tag seem justified for the millenials.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
you would be able to get this on aliexpress for 40 euro. Seems like the same cartridge.....
You wou just be paying for the boxart and the white man webshop tax.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Typical current-gen Neo fan stuff. Even if you built something completely mundane, just put it on a transparent cart, throw some JPN-style artwork on it and make sure to needlessly limit the release to let the outrageous price tag seem justified for the millenials.
Basically everybody on this forum is a millenial. Except your old ass of course.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Needlessly limited? Who would want to stock more than a few of such a niche item?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Needlessly limited? Who would want to stock more than a few of such a niche item?
Dunno, this is like putting a pretty picture on the handle of a simple screwdriver and sell it as limited edition for lots of money. Just does not make sense to me but if ppl like that sorta thing, mo' powar to them.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I bought a packet sandwich from a service station yesterday that advertised itself as "limited edition"

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
I bought a packet sandwich from a service station yesterday that advertised itself as "limited edition"
In a sence that is true. you will never get exactly the same sandwich. All sandwiches worldwide are limited edition.

Artemio

NEST Puppet
I understand the feeling, but it is not the case at all. These are hand built and in custom PCBs that will be released as open hardware for other homebrew devs. The cart was made as a service, and complies with the Neo spec. The price is as low as we could go building them ourselves and paying for the parts, case, shell, shipping, customs and art. We are making very little from each sale and df course we knew we could not compete with what chinese have been using for piracy for a while, but we wanted to give it a try and do our best.

It is limited because we know only a few would want them, it only makes sense to do 50 piece batches due to price and keeping stock on this is indeed not a good business decision since it is so niche.

We thought of it as a service to the ones that wanted one and didn't have a flash cart.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I understand the feeling, but it is not the case at all. These are hand built and in custom PCBs that will be released as open hardware for other homebrew devs. The cart was made as a service, and complies with the Neo spec. The price is as low as we could go building them ourselves and paying for the parts, case, shell, shipping, customs and art. We are making very little from each sale and df course we knew we could not compete with what chinese have been using for piracy for a while, but we wanted to give it a try and do our best.

It is limited because we know only a few would want them, it only makes sense to do 50 piece batches due to price and keeping stock on this is indeed not a good business decision since it is so niche.

We thought of it as a service to the ones that wanted one and didn't have a flash cart.

Fair enough. People can spend their money for whatever they want, I just think it's a bit steep for a tool that you probably don't use a lot. We might be fans of the Neo who are used to spending an arm and a leg on silly stuff but even we have our limits, you know. You guys should check your priorities.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Fair enough. People can spend their money for whatever they want, I just think it's a bit steep for a tool that you probably don't use a lot. We might be fans of the Neo who are used to spending an arm and a leg on silly stuff but even we have our limits, you know. You guys should check your priorities.
Is the harm that it will encourage fans to waste money on frivolous things? Maybe others will be encouraged to overcharge for games?

No one's making you buy it. The tool is free to download.

Artemio

NEST Puppet
You seem to think this is for profit, but it is for the joy of making something and learning in the process while trying to give back to teh community from which we have learned so much.

The software is open source and free to download, no cost at all. The cart is intended as a service for those that wanted it.

I am sorry you feel offended by it, but I can't understand why you take it so personal and as if it was a cash grab. It clearly isn't.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Millennials are the worst. Can't even fucking spell millennial.
You’re a millennial too probably and certainly a vatnik. We all got our flaws.
Can you spell perfect Dutch or any other language? No, then stfu.

Last edited:

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
You seem to think this is for profit, but it is for the joy of making something and learning in the process while trying to give back to teh community from which we have learned so much.

The software is open source and free to download, no cost at all. The cart is intended as a service for those that wanted it.

I am sorry you feel offended by it, but I can't understand why you take it so personal and as if it was a cash grab. It clearly isn't.

I challenge anyone to manufacture any software on a quality Neo cart for less than $150. It’s not as easy as some people (who often have never made anything in their lives) may think. I don’t see the price as problematic at all for a practical service tool. If SNK ever made such a thing it would have cost a crap load more than $150.

The way the thing is being presented though is not as a practical service tool but rather in the vein of Limited Run, PCE Works, and other trash entities and the way they gouge for garbage. It would be way classier and less ota-suspect if it came in a basic box with nothing but technical data on it. Then it would look like what it is and maybe these fucking morons might not be giving you so much shit.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Millennials are the worst. Can't even fucking spell millennial.
I'm an early-mid gen millenial so early enough to experience life without the internet whilst also watching it envelope everything as time went on. You were born prior to '81 I assume? Surely not too much before, you could be classed as a proto-millenial.

Zoomers+ are the real cause for concern, they're the ones without the pre-internet, constant connect experience. Whether it folds it on itself and corrects or continues is anyones guess.

These labels make me sick however.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member

Yes, as I said before, if someone wants to spend $150 for something they can legally get for free, more power to him/her. Nothing personal, I don't feel offended, just stating my opinion.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
These labels make me sick however.
That's the real problem. The dipshits that come up with all these generational brackets don't take into account what kind of societal and technological changes can happen within a single generation that can cause people to grow up completely different from each other even though they're only born a handful of years apart.

The shift to widespread high speed internet, smart phones and social media is probably one of the biggest inter generational differences in human history.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
You’re a millennial too probably and certainly a vatnik. We all got our flaws.
Can you spell perfect Dutch or any other language? No, then stfu.
I am not a millennial or a vatnik. Belgium is a fake country and you are a faget.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
That curried egg goes off real quick, better get onto that.