Anyone excited about PS4/X1 "Transformer" game from Platinum?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Man, I totally want this game, but I'm currently saving every penny I can for something bigger (not gaming related). Anybody knows if the game is the same in all consoles? (besides graphics, which should be better on XBONE and PS4 that the 360 and PS3).

Regards.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I almost wanted this game then I found out you cannot play as Cons. No Sale.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I beat the game yesterday and now I'm gonna run through it on hard mode and start playing the missions. I didn't fuck around enough with the weapons but the Cryo Sword and the gatling missiles were my best friends with OP. I love the game tip to toe and I don't mind the short factor, I'm still green on combos anyway, I know i can do better. Gonna spending a lot of time with it,hoping for some dlc or a sequel.

Excellent game in every possible way, I'm hooked!

I've been wanting to get into them Dynasty Warrior Gundam games, any thoughts on the series?

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
I beat the game yesterday and now I'm gonna run through it on hard mode and start playing the missions. I didn't fuck around enough with the weapons but the Cryo Sword and the gatling missiles were my best friends with OP. I love the game tip to toe and I don't mind the short factor, I'm still green on combos anyway, I know i can do better. Gonna spending a lot of time with it,hoping for some dlc or a sequel.

Excellent game in every possible way, I'm hooked!

I've been wanting to get into them Dynasty Warrior Gundam games, any thoughts on the series?

If you've ever played a Dynasty Warriors game, then you've played Dynasty Warriors Gundam. They are in no way technical fighters like Transformers: Devastation. They won't satisfy you if you are looking for a challenge, but if you are a fan of Gundam there's a lot of fan service in them. If you're going to get one, go with Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Reborn.

As for Transformers: Devastation, I finished it a couple of days ago and I enjoyed it. Thought it was challenging, well balanced and had a good combat engine and great control. Bringing back Peter Cullen and Frank Welker to play Optimus Prime and Megatron gives the game exactly the heart and soul it needed. It looks spectacular, with dynamic animation and a cel shaded sheen that perfectly recreates the G1 era's aesthetics. It has interesting loot and crafting systems that unfortunately suffer a bit from the type of ''grindification' that you usually see in Bandai Namco games. The platforming is workmanlike but nothing too spectacular, and like Ninja Theory's soft reboot of Devil May Cry, the sequences seem designed to mix up the gameplay and offer something different but it bores more often than it thrills.

On the negative side, there isn't a whole lot of enemy or environment variety, the collectibles aren't exactly enticing enough to get you to chase them, character variety is limited, no ability to play as the Decepticons and despite looking and sounding like the G1 era in most respects, they get a number of things wrong. For example, Megatron transforms into a tank and not a gun. Megatron transforming into a tank isn't a bad thing, and I think it's actually more practical and logical than transforming into a gun, but that's not what he transformed into in the old cartoon.

There are other strange inaccuracies as well, such as melee scrums with faceless 'Decepticon minions', which totally goes against the grain of Transformers to begin with. I am no Transformers-o-phile. There are other things that capture my geek hard with greater ferocity, but one of the old show's most magnetic aspects was seeing which Autobots and which Decepticons would appear in the episodes. There was always the potential for dream match ups that we thought about all the time and hoped to see. Every single Autobot and every single Decepticon was a unique individual. There were no disposable minions (unless you count the Insecticons) so including them in this game just so you have foot soldiers to dispose of doesn't feel right to me. They should have just had you defeat recognizable enemies over and over again, only to see them make last second getaways or fall to the ground defeated as they do in the boss battles with foes such as the Constructicons, Blitzwing, Starscream and Thundercracker. Finally, having many of these 'minions' transform into cars is not correct. Later in the series, some Decepticons did take on the appearance of automobiles, but we all know that one of the defining traits of the bad guys is that they didn't transform into the same things as the good guys. So having them do that doesn't just feel wrong, it feels lazy.

Also, they don't use any of the old music from the show, including the legendary theme song. This last part is particularly puzzling, because nothing 'feels' like G1 Transformers as much as hearing that original theme song. Making a game that is supposed to recapture the G1 era's mystique and leaving out such an integral part of it just feels wrong to me.

We can say 'they did a good enough job', and the game is overall very well made, but this is clearly a game designed with the older fan's sensibilities and affections in mind, and not going whole hog somehow feels off. It makes me wonder if they couldn't get the rights to everything and if that's the case it comes down to money, which is really depressing when you consider that this game was made to recreate a bygone era in geek culture and its cynical bones are showing through its nostalgic skin.

Personally, despite being a fun play with a good, twitch based combat engine, I would recommend this only as a rental or a budget title. It's not worth $50 in my opinion.

Last edited:

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
Perhaps I've got the sacrilegiously dissenting opinion, but I'm not really finding this new Transformers very compelling. In fact, half of my Platinum Games experience has been meh. I didn't like Bayonetta 1, and I'm not finding this Transformers game much better. I did like Bayonetta 2 well enough, but I thought Metal Gear Rising was far better.

I'm not sure I'll buy a Platinum game just based on their development anymore.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Perhaps I've got the sacrilegiously dissenting opinion, but I'm not really finding this new Transformers very compelling. In fact, half of my Platinum Games experience has been meh. I didn't like Bayonetta 1, and I'm not finding this Transformers game much better. I did like Bayonetta 2 well enough, but I thought Metal Gear Rising was far better.

It's been a long time since I felt Platinum warranted a purchase based solely on their name. In fact, I find that those who blindly affix themselves to anything with the Platinum name on it almost as annoying as Nintendo fanboys.

Almost.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Dude I got that badass Combiners Wars Devastator on pre-order. I'm super stoked.

CrackerMessiah

Fu'un-Ken Master

It's been a long time since I felt Platinum warranted a purchase based solely on their name. In fact, I find that those who blindly affix themselves to anything with the Platinum name on it almost as annoying as Nintendo fanboys.

Almost.

We're a small choir, but a choir nonetheless.

I did the Redbox route last Sunday, played it for about two hours. Combat? Tight. Overall feel? Rather good. The degree of repetitiveness? Tolerable, but not sustainable past $50.

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
Holy shit is this game amazing. Played for a few hours straight, just repeating the first missions with different characters and dificulty levels. Im enjoying it much more than i was expecting, the Platinum blueprint is all over it.

Looks like Saur is enjoying it too

Cant wait to play it more.

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Holy crap is Shockwave a beast!

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

We're a small choir, but a choir nonetheless.

I did the Redbox route last Sunday, played it for about two hours. Combat? Tight. Overall feel? Rather good. The degree of repetitiveness? Tolerable, but not sustainable past $50.

I liked Bayonetta and MGR. I didn't like Vanquish. It instantly reminded me of Ninja Blade.

I'm willing to give TF a shot, but as a rental. If I like it, I can wait till it hits the bargain bin.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
^You didn't like Ninja Blade? Damn!

If you've ever played a Dynasty Warriors game, then you've played Dynasty Warriors Gundam. They are in no way technical fighters like Transformers: Devastation. They won't satisfy you if you are looking for a challenge, but if you are a fan of Gundam there's a lot of fan service in them. If you're going to get one, go with Dynasty Warriors: Gundam Reborn.

As for Transformers: Devastation, I finished it a couple of days ago and I enjoyed it. Thought it was challenging, well balanced and had a good combat engine and great control. Bringing back Peter Cullen and Frank Welker to play Optimus Prime and Megatron gives the game exactly the heart and soul it needed. It looks spectacular, with dynamic animation and a cel shaded sheen that perfectly recreates the G1 era's aesthetics. It has interesting loot and crafting systems that unfortunately suffer a bit from the type of ''grindification' that you usually see in Bandai Namco games. The platforming is workmanlike but nothing too spectacular, and like Ninja Theory's soft reboot of Devil May Cry, the sequences seem designed to mix up the gameplay and offer something different but it bores more often than it thrills.

On the negative side, there isn't a whole lot of enemy or environment variety, the collectibles aren't exactly enticing enough to get you to chase them, character variety is limited, no ability to play as the Decepticons and despite looking and sounding like the G1 era in most respects, they get a number of things wrong. For example, Megatron transforms into a tank and not a gun. Megatron transforming into a tank isn't a bad thing, and I think it's actually more practical and logical than transforming into a gun, but that's not what he transformed into in the old cartoon.

There are other strange inaccuracies as well, such as melee scrums with faceless 'Decepticon minions', which totally goes against the grain of Transformers to begin with. I am no Transformers-o-phile. There are other things that capture my geek hard with greater ferocity, but one of the old show's most magnetic aspects was seeing which Autobots and which Decepticons would appear in the episodes. There was always the potential for dream match ups that we thought about all the time and hoped to see. Every single Autobot and every single Decepticon was a unique individual. There were no disposable minions (unless you count the Insecticons) so including them in this game just so you have foot soldiers to dispose of doesn't feel right to me. They should have just had you defeat recognizable enemies over and over again, only to see them make last second getaways or fall to the ground defeated as they do in the boss battles with foes such as the Constructicons, Blitzwing, Starscream and Thundercracker. Finally, having many of these 'minions' transform into cars is not correct. Later in the series, some Decepticons did take on the appearance of automobiles, but we all know that one of the defining traits of the bad guys is that they didn't transform into the same things as the good guys. So having them do that doesn't just feel wrong, it feels lazy.

Also, they don't use any of the old music from the show, including the legendary theme song. This last part is particularly puzzling, because nothing 'feels' like G1 Transformers as much as hearing that original theme song. Making a game that is supposed to recapture the G1 era's mystique and leaving out such an integral part of it just feels wrong to me.

We can say 'they did a good enough job', and the game is overall very well made, but this is clearly a game designed with the older fan's sensibilities and affections in mind, and not going whole hog somehow feels off. It makes me wonder if they couldn't get the rights to everything and if that's the case it comes down to money, which is really depressing when you consider that this game was made to recreate a bygone era in geek culture and its cynical bones are showing through its nostalgic skin.

Personally, despite being a fun play with a good, twitch based combat engine, I would recommend this only as a rental or a budget title. It's not worth $50 in my opinion.
Thanks for the Gundam advice. As for the rest, well, I couldn't disagree more and I'm gonna leave it at that 'cause it's just gonna turn bad as it always does with shit like this.

Last edited:

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Yeah, Ninja Blade was pretty awful IMO. Awesome sense of style and a fun story but a failed experiment overall. Not hard to believe it's a From Software game, because those guys like to experiment and take chances so credit to them on that front.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
Yeah, Ninja Blade was pretty awful IMO. Awesome sense of style and a fun story but a failed experiment overall. Not hard to believe it's a From Software game, because those guys like to experiment and take chances so credit to them on that front.

Can you believe it that I have both US & JPN of this game................................

GutsDozer

10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I want to play as Megatron so bad. I wonder if there is any hope of some DLC down the line to have Decepticon challenges or something. Or do you guys think they are done?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That was the best part of War for Cybertron, the fact that you could play the first half of the game as Megatron and blast the puny Autobots to pieces with your fusion cannon.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Looks legit to me. Will try to rent it at Family Video when I have time.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
You're breaking my heart. Taiso, ok, I expect such but you? Not you too!

That game was like "5 minute stage, 45-minute 1st stage boss fight."

And I liked all the Ninja Gaiden games, so it wasnt a question of difficulty - if you're engaging in wars of attrition with a boss in the first stage, then I don't want to see the second stage.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Platinum's B Team did good work on this (i.e. the same team that made The Legend of Korra). Finished it on PS4 a few weeks ago and now playing through it on XB1. It's not quite on the level of Bayo or Vanquish (Vanquish rates as one of my favorite games ever), but it's still very good.

BLEAGH

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
All you peeps saying you "finished" it mean you completed magnus and prime modes right?

The game doesn't begin until the second chapter on magnus mode.