Annual October Horror Movie Thread

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
Recommendations if you need something:
Triangle
Prevenge

Please tell me that you aren't talking about the 2009 movie Triangle. That movie was dumb, predictable, and just went on too long.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Love the 'new wave of French extremity!!'

Lately I've been into occult themed horror films, my faves being:

The Ninth Gate
Wicker Man
A Dark Song
Ghoulies/Ghoulies II
The Gate
Warlock
The Witch

I love the Ghoulies Trilogy and Gate 1 and 2. Such great films from my childhood.

Last night I watched Gerald's Game on Netflix, which was really good, I definitely recommend it. Tonight it has been Ticks on laserdisc, a fun early 90s b movie with Carlton from Freah Price playing a bad ass.

Joe T.

Crazed MVS Addict
10 Year Member
Recently watched Prince of Darkness again. Hadn't seen it since I was in grade school. This is one of Carpenter's more retarded movies, but in a good way. Lots of metaphysics bullshit mixed with Catholic conspiracies and possessed people spraying green Satan juice out of their mouths. Overall, bad enough to be entertaining.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member

Probably the best horror movie of the past five years or so. Also, I'd recommend Don't Breathe.

Last night I watched Haunted Honeymoon. Not very good, but it had some very funny moments.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I really enjoyed Don't Breathe. By the dude who did The Evil Dead remake (which I also liked).

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
I really enjoyed Don't Breathe. By the dude who did The Evil Dead remake (which I also liked).

Word. LMK if you know of anything along the same lines.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Word. LMK if you know of anything along the same lines.

Done!

Kidnapped blew me away. Spanish psychological horror with only 12 separate shots without cuts. Heavy on violence. Make sure you watch it in original language as the dub on this trailer is horrible.

Also;

Funny Games (2008)
You're Next (had a lot of fun with this - elements of black comedy)
Them (Ils)

...and Inside. You've likely seen it but if you haven't, see it ASAP. Extreme violence and tension throughout. This had me on the edge from start to finish.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Near Dark:

Game me nightmares for years.

Plus, it has the best Bill Paxton scene ever.

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Near Dark is a classic. To see where Kathryn Bigelow ended up in her career is no real surprise.

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
Lifeforce

I don't know if this has been said before but... Tobe Hooper's Ben-Hur is horror now? Since when? I mean, sure, it has horror elements, but that thing is more sci-fi than anything. That's like calling the old Mummy remakes horror because people get their energy sucked (or something) with bugs.

Also, not sure Jason X counts because... I mean, COME ON... but if it does, yeah, saw that. Just as cheesy and TV-movie-production-values as I remember. Did any member of the cast went to do something relevant ever again?

If you like Italian horror check out the films of Bruno Mattei.

You. I like your taste. Will try and make some time to see Hell of the Living Dead again. And maybe Zombi 3 if I feel like laughing.

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Zombie 3 is a lot of fun. Killer soundtrack too! RIP Fulci

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I just had a big weekend for horror movies.

House/Hausu - first time seeing this film. Holy shit, this was wacky and fun. I had heard things about it, but House really defies description and expectation.

Quadruple feature at a nearby drive-in on a dark and stormy Saturday night, with an entertaining and varied lineup:

Christine
Pet Sematary
Trick 'r Treat
The Evil Dead

A local arthouse theater is doing a John Carpenter series all season, and I caught The Thing on Sunday night. It's always fun watching this classic, but seeing it on the big screen was a real treat.

Cernex

Fio's Quartermaster
Zombie 3 is a lot of fun. Killer soundtrack too! RIP Fulci

Hah, for the longest itme it has been my personal theory the first House of the Dead's music was heavily inspired by Zombi 3. I dunno, they sound so much alike and its just the kind of weird, somewhat obscure and italian film that inspire japanese people for some reason (like most japanese horror and video game music being basically based on Argento's PHENOMENA with bits and pieces of Suspiria).

By the way, I've been looking for the Zombi 3 trailer music like crazy. Was it ever released as a stand-alone thing? I am 99% sure its not in the soundtrack album (at least not the ones I was able to find).

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Zombi 3, or Zombie Flesh Eaters 2 to us in the UK, is one of the my favourite bad Italian horror movies. I love Italian horror in general, but there are definitely a lot that are so bad they're good. That's not to take away from the classics by Argento, Saovi, Fulci, etc. though. Although even a lot of Fulci (who I love) is on a fine line between bad and genius.

Is Rats the one where a guys friend gets attacked so he blasts him with a flamethrower, and then gets upset about his burnt friend being dead? It's been a long time since I watched it, but I have always remembered that scene because it made me laugh so much.

This weekend I watched Ticks on laserdisc, an early 90s monster movie about giant ticks, starring Seth Green and Carlton from Fresh Price playing a bad ass. It's pretty fun in a 90s way.

Then I watched Curtains on VHS, which is a good and forgotten 80s slasher. Worth a watch if you're a fan of the genre.

Last edited:

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Halloween 4 scared the piss out of me when I was a kid. 5 was meh, and all the ones after it were worse. 1 & 2 still hold up, thank god.

Probably my favourite scary movie franchise. A kid from school lent me the VHS tapes for Halloween I and II back in the day. They scared me pretty good. The next Halloween movie I got to watch after that was the Curse of Michel Myers. I found that movies pretty scary back then too. I still like it now, but recognize the flaws. I would like to watch the other cut some day. I've seen all of the other Halloween movies too. I like 4 & 5. Really like H20. The Busta Rhymes Halloween is not too good, but I still find it enjoyable. Even though it has nothing to do with Michael Myers, I like Halloween 3. Solid movie IMO.

I recently watched Dark Skies again. I like it. I always found alien horror to be particularly scary. I also think the Fourth Kind is a decent alien horror movie.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Recently watched Prince of Darkness again. Hadn't seen it since I was in grade school. This is one of Carpenter's more retarded movies, but in a good way. Lots of metaphysics bullshit mixed with Catholic conspiracies and possessed people spraying green Satan juice out of their mouths. Overall, bad enough to be entertaining.

I'm a huge fan of Prince of Darkness. Like a horror version of Assault on Precinct 13, which I also really like.

Speaking of Carpenter, I finally saw, for the first time each:

The Fog - not among Carpenter's better work. Not much happens. Not much tension.

They Live - don't know how I had never seen this, but yeah, first time watching it. Awesome, obviously. And Piper was an awful actor, but that somehow fit the movie.