Annual October Horror Movie Thread

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
A Tyler Perry movie? No-fucking-thanks! I can totally see you watching this with your mates while you eat your dry BBQ.

Watch Creepshow instead.

I need to watch Creepshow. That is one I always watch at Halloween, it has the perfect atmosphere. I'm away this Halloween, but my partner is dressing up as the cake from Father's Day for a party I'm missing. If it looks any good then I will post a picture.

i believe a remake does exist made in 2005 staring tom welling.

Yep, and it is awful.

I watched Cult of Chucky on Monday. I'm not sure what to make of it. I really liked Curse and expected this to be more of the same, but they went all out crazy with it. I think I need to give it another watch before I make up my mind, but I was definitely entertained.

Colorado Rockie

Terry Bogard's Taylor
Anyone see "The Thing" remake? Was that any good? I loved the original and still watch it from time to time.

Funny seeing Event Horizon mentioned. Man that movie was terrible. "In The Mouth of Madness" was good IMO.

Event Horizon is awesome. The Thing remake is garbage. There is a funny joke in the beginning though between two (I think Russian?) guys while driving some snow vehicle.

I watched Cult of Chucky on Monday. I'm not sure what to make of it. I really liked Curse and expected this to be more of the same, but they went all out crazy with it. I think I need to give it another watch before I make up my mind, but I was definitely entertained.

Yeah Cult left me with mixed feelings. Brad Dourif is as awesome as ever as Chucky, but the rest of the movie just felt average. I loved Curse, but this one not so much.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
The Houses October Built 2
The House by the Cemetery
Wrong Turn 6
VHS 1&2

I'm forgetting a few.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I watched Split today. It's as much a suspense/psychological thriller as it as a horror movie but it fits.

I liked it. Definitely the best film in the genre than Shyamalan has made, and his second best overall to Unbreakable. Most of his movies are shit but this one really is a return to form.

Spoiler:

Of course, at the end of Split Bruce Willis' character from Unbreakable shows up to establish a shared universe. It was a pretty cool moment and I can't wait to see how they follow it up.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Noroi is a favourite of mine it's a great found footage/documentary type horror flic, it's got a few scenes in it that seriously creeped me out.
The premise of the film is nothing i've not seen before but here it's done really well, a roller coaster ride if you go along with it, slow burner that builds up a real feeling of dread.
Also check out occult by the same director Koji Shiraishi, this guy know's how to do this type of film.
link for occult

Last edited:

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Anyone see "The Thing" remake? Was that any good? I loved the original and still watch it from time to time.

If you mean the Kurt Russel one, like Filthy said, it's awesome. Just as good as the original. I've been meaning to watch it this month. If you mean the 2011 sequel, I haven't seen it but I'm sure it sucks.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
If you mean the Kurt Russel one, like Filthy said, it's awesome. Just as good as the original. I've been meaning to watch it this month. If you mean the 2011 sequel, I haven't seen it but I'm sure it sucks.

I meant the 2011 one, I didn't know the Kurt Russel one wasn't the original. :hammer:

fake

15 Year Member
I meant the 2011 one, I didn't know the Kurt Russel one wasn't the original. :hammer:

Ha, I definitely recommend the original one. I went on an OG horror marathon one year in college. (Any Boston members, hopefully you were a regular at Mike's Movies, RIP.) I watched The Thing, Body Snatchers, Frankenstein, Dracula, Bride of Frankenstein, Nosferatu, Caligari, and a few others. All of them were A+. Not scary, but still amazing movies.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
All I remember about the 2011 Thing movie was that the CG was bad. If you like The Thing check out the short film Zygote from Neill Blomkamp.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Will definitely be watching the Orignial, one and only Thing before the month ends.

Glad ppl are talking about Event Horizon. Great movie by and large.

Oh, and for some Halloween music goodness, check this out:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
After watching The House By The Cemetery I decided to watch The Beyond and City of The Living Dead.

The unofficial Gates of Hell trilogy has been watched.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
After watching The House By The Cemetery I decided to watch The Beyond and City of The Living Dead.

The unofficial Gates of Hell trilogy has been watched.

What did you think of them? I absolutely love House and Beyond, but I always have a hard time getting into City. I want to enjoy it, but something about it makes me fall asleep.

I watched The Houses October Built last night. Not an awful found footage horror. The premise was interesting, I just thought it was really let down by a climax where you couldn't really see what was happening.

Last edited:

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
City is wicked, dude. That final scene in the catacombs with the dead rising through thick cobweb to Frizzi’s epic score is fucking amazing!

And those brain squishers. Fuck yeah!

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
City is wicked, dude. That final scene in the catacombs with the dead rising through thick cobweb to Frizzi’s epic score is fucking amazing!

And those brain squishers. Fuck yeah!

I'm going to try again soon. I know I should love it, I'm a massive Fulci fan. It's not like I haven't tried, I have the DVD, Blu Ray and even the limited Japanese laserdisc :lolz:

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
For me City and Beyond are great with House being very good.

I think I'd like House more if Bob died.

City's visuals are haunting. Buried alive, the pickaxe narrowly missing her head and her screaming through the hole.

The catacombs scene was mentioned.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
I watched a few that Netflix put out.

The BabySitter
Doesn't take itself seriously, and it's actually good from that perspective. This one is more cheezy fun than straight-up horror. Worth the watch.

This one is complete opposite of Babysitter. It's dark. Real dark. It's essentially TellTale Heart set in 1920's Farmer town. Not A+ material, but good for the season.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Annabelle Creation - surprisingly good. Felt more like the two proper Conjuring films than it did the original Annabelle, which is a compliment.

Cult of Chucky - I'm on board with the WTF train. Bizarre story, weird (maybe good?) ending. Brad Dourif pretty much single-handedly kept it entertaining, but meh overall.

fake

15 Year Member
Raw - Awesome New French Extremity movie. I had to look away from the screen a few times. The lead actress is amazing.

Hush - This guy just keeps making great movies: Oculus, then Ouija Origin of Evil, and now Hush. It's not exactly scary; home invasion movies don't scare me other than The Strangers. But Hush is super tense.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Ended the Month with The Thing (still awesome), and finally FINALLY watched Young Frankenstein Monday night. Now I see why so many ppl adore YF so much. Great GREAT movie with lots of humor and heart.

Jag-Master

"Hey, are we done here?..., Cause I'm losing my bu
15 Year Member
I rounded out October with the Exorcist III & Jason Goes To Hell. Had many fond memories of these back in the 90's. Saw plenty of awesome suggestions in this thread and will definitely be checking some out.

On a side note, Brad Dourif's daughter Fiona who plays Nica in the last two Chucky movies is so sexy.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Raw - Awesome New French Extremity movie. I had to look away from the screen a few times. The lead actress is amazing.

Hush - This guy just keeps making great movies: Oculus, then Ouija Origin of Evil, and now Hush. It's not exactly scary; home invasion movies don't scare me other than The Strangers. But Hush is super tense.

Raw was great! There were a couple of twists I didn't see coming. I finished out the month going to see the OG Night of the Living Dead on the big screen at a local movie fest.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Sorry this is a day late, but WATCH THIS!

SUSPIRIA FIRST MURDER SCENE: