All About NEO GEO CD

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
But it has Puzzle Bobble, so unless you have an mvs, its a must have game for me

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
But it has Puzzle Bobble, so unless you have an mvs, its a must have game for me
The sequel completely owns the original, with its weak presentation and lack of modes. You can only get it on MVS.

SNKNostalgia

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Back then, the loading for the NGCD seemed a little more worth it. This was when almost any later made Neo Geo AES cart was going for $180-$300. This was also before CMVS was really and option. So, when I got my NGCD in 97 with RBS, Top Hunter, Ninja Commando, AOF 3, and KOF 95-97, it didn't seem too horrible and I enjoyed playing the games.

I got my CDZ and my first AES around the same time in 99-2000. The CDZ at the time made a huge difference in the loading for me. I say it was worth it, or I would have just sold off some of the games. Over 8 years I ended up getting almost all of the games I wanted on AES (games like KOF94-2000, LB 1 and 2, AOF 1-3, Samsho 1-4, etc..).

I have to admit I like the arranged soundtrack of the CD games and enjoy a good session on my CDZ every now and then, but I just find myself playing them on my AES most the time.

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
The sequel completely owns the original, with its weak presentation and lack of modes. You can only get it on MVS.

True...but I still love the original. One of my all time favorite games (and Bubble Symphony)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
CDZs aren't region protected are they? I installed a language switch and it works. I can play a JP Last Blade with zero problems but when I put in a US Fatal Fury 3 I get "Insert CD" instead of the game, take it out and put LB in and it plays fine.

My FF3 disc is mint and plays fine on my top loader.

SNKNostalgia

Aero Fighters Flyboy
CDZs aren't region protected are they? I installed a language switch and it works. I can play a JP Last Blade with zero problems but when I put in a US Fatal Fury 3 I get "Insert CD" instead of the game, take it out and put LB in and it plays fine.

My FF3 disc is mint and plays fine on my top loader.

This seems to only be a problem with some FF3 US copies. My US copy works just fine. I remember calling SNK in '98 and talking to the daughter in the Barone family telling me about this problem.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Had to adjust the laser as I also tested a Sonic Wings 2 and got the same problem. Now they all work fine.

Coligion

n00b
I own the top-loading CD model as well as the CDZ unit for quite a few years now. I have not been let down by either. The trick is to stick to games that have tolerable loading times, and the CDZ really does cut back on the wait. I still think games like Last Blade and Real Bout Special are great on CD, but the load times do get the better of you...

Here is a list of games I feel the loading is hardly bothersome (IMHO):

-- Neo Turf Masters
-- Windjammers
-- Puzzle Bobble
-- Metal Slug
-- Metal Slug 2 (CDZ)
-- League Bowling
-- Viewpoint
-- Pulstar (CDZ)
-- Magical Drop 2
-- Twinkle Star Sprites
-- Samurai Shodown 2/3 (not the best, but better than LB and RB)
-- Baseball Stars 2
-- Street Hoop

...and there are more, but these are some of the games that get a lot of playing time of my machine. Not just because of the better loading, but because they are all mostly great/fun games. IMO, games like Neo Turf Masters, Baseball stars 2, and Twinkle Star Sprites are better on CD because of improved sound or additional options.

The CD/CDZ system certainly has its place, but you definitely need to look to AES/MVS if your a fighter fan.

The Legendary LoneWolf

The Garou Densetsu Guy,
20 Year Member
I have a neo CDZ and want to get a mod of a fan so I heard a it can play a lot longer without it blowing up

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I have a neo CDZ and want to get a mod of a fan so I heard a it can play a lot longer without it blowing up

Personally I'd remove the bottom shielding as a start. The CDZ has 3 vents in the bottom of the case, but the shielding completely blocks any airflow to the chips. If you wanted to add a fan, the bottom is the best place. Or maybe get a cheapo laptop cooling pad to sit it on if you want a fan.

Been playing Last Blade on NGCD tonight, I have to say as a smoker I love the load times! You can have a drag on your cigarette in between rounds.... weird but it works for me!

snkino

n00b
all about neo geo cd

hey takuma and nice topic. anyway i think if master snk was release the cd system 2 years (1992) before the debuted they will grab more user because many arcade gamers want to play perfect quality of arcade best soccer game at the time -super sidekicks-aof-fatal fury 2- viewpoint-in home but they cant afford the neogeo and the 100s cost of its games.also i remember the first time i play samurai spirit 2 when its came on the cd the monkeys loading time was interruption and some time i leave my friend to got to arcade for play it.as for the release of the cdz it also was to late because must snk games was ported to the saturn with ram cart a.k.a kof 95- ss3- ff rb- so no need to buy the cdz if the saturn deliver it :shame:

The Legendary LoneWolf

The Garou Densetsu Guy,
20 Year Member
So my little sister got rapped last week by a guy 10 years older than her. She is 15. He got away with it completely. She is now pregnant. She never met the guy. But I tracked him down and got some info. Please help me destroy this guy in every way possible:

His name is Eric, he is a nurse in Kansas City as best as i can tell.

1204 southwest wintergreen lane
Blue Springs, mo 64015

Send and post this guys stuff everywhere!

Send everything you got at this guy. He is a real low-life.

Please help me!

WTF has your sister got to do with a Neo Geo CD, Man GTFO :oh_no:

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Shit man I hate when people come up to me and start rapping, fucking lowlives trying to rap innocent citizens!

TheXtreme1

n00b
Quick question,

what do you need to hook up a Neo Geo?

Sorry if this sounds stupid but I have never seem one. Is it just a power and video cable or what?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Quick question,

what do you need to hook up a Neo Geo?

Sorry if this sounds stupid but I have never seem one. Is it just a power and video cable or what?

For a Neo CD it has the audio video jacks on the back of the unit, Composite, S-video and Stereo.

For a Neo AES it uses an AV cable that is 5 pin with Composite and Mono output. You can mod it for better options.

TheXtreme1

n00b
For a Neo CD it has the audio video jacks on the back of the unit, Composite, S-video and Stereo.

For a Neo AES it uses an AV cable that is 5 pin with Composite and Mono output. You can mod it for better options.

Thanks, and how easy is the mod? Is it somthing easy? If not are there people you can pay to do it?

Has anyone played crossed swords 2. That game looks really cool and so does SSrpg. It would be cool if someone would release a english translation of that game.

The Legendary LoneWolf

The Garou Densetsu Guy,
20 Year Member
Has anyone played crossed swords 2. That game looks really cool and so does SSrpg. It would be cool if someone would release a english translation of that game.

I got the game I am sure it's in English and if no then the language switch was on to translate it

The Legendary LoneWolf

The Garou Densetsu Guy,
20 Year Member
Compared to todays standards I would say yeah

I mean I bought it in 1995 and it was acceptable but having not played it in a while, I think I woulod get annoyed at all the games now, well espcially the later ones like AOF3