All About NEO GEO CD

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
Yeah CDZ is totally playable and regular top loader is unbearable.

I dunno I got used to the load times by now although they are pretty annoying in fighting games.

The problem is that a CDZ costs twice as much as a normal top loader.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Just read this thread. I endose it since Tak made it.

That is all.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Were there ever any after market AC adapters made for the system? It's huge where it plugs into the wall and takes up a ton of space in a cramped area of my entertainment system.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Were there ever any after market AC adapters made for the system? It's huge where it plugs into the wall and takes up a ton of space in a cramped area of my entertainment system.

Honestly your best bet is to hit a Radio Shack and get a universal adapter. Chances are you can find something close to custom for it. I know the plug in port is a lil weird but I'm sure nowadays you might find what you need.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Just get a tiny extension cord.

softwhere

n00b
What do you guys think the estimated cost would be to purchase every NeoCD game released?

I know certain games like Ironclad go for a ton of money, but I dont think the CD had a huge library... anyways, the question is:

"Is this attainable without selling my car?"

SNKNostalgia

Aero Fighters Flyboy
What do you guys think the estimated cost would be to purchase every NeoCD game released?

I know certain games like Ironclad go for a ton of money, but I dont think the CD had a huge library... anyways, the question is:

"Is this attainable without selling my car?"

$2000-$3000, depending on if you get US or JP versions, as well as good deals. I spent $1200 and only own a Top Loader, CDZ and 24 games. I bought the games when they were mostly new, as well as my Top Loader for $300 in '97. So not bad in comparison with how cheap CD games and systems are now.

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
i pay 2075€ for my full kit but some of them have no spincard

ptrix4u2c

Mega Shock!!
I really, really wish KoF 98 and Last Blade were somewhere near playable on my top-loader, but I can't deny that I love it for the games that have decent load times. I've got to pick up another controller for some Windjammers and Slug!

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
Wow. I'm new to this forum and am continually blown away by the wealth of info you all have set aside. Thanks!

JimmyDean

n00b
Why is the CDZ faster than the regular neogeo cd? I think it has twice the cache on the cd-rom drive, but I'm not sure.

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Hello

Officialy SNK never communicate on the NeoGeoCDZ faster
So fan have the two theory:
2x CD room
better cache/bios etc

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
I believe SNK announced the CDZ would contain a double speed drive before the release, however they must have changed their mind.

The CDZ certainly does contain a quicker drive, but I don't think its twice as fast. Apparently the system does also contain more RAM, which would explain less frequent loading, but not quicker.

It would be interesting to examine the code of a decent-sized game to see if this is in fact true.

Last edited:

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
yes i see it too, SNK announced a double speed
But SNK never give information after

Austin

n00b
The CD unit is great for those games that only load once, then are done (Viewpoint, Aero Fighters 2, Magician Lord, etc.). If you're going to be playing fighting games on it, you're going to need some major patience. If you really *have* to play your fighters on it, I recommend playing with someone else, setting the game onto quick-select mode (or whatever it's called), and playing as the same characters and stages over and over again. The game will not have to load the match again since it's still in memory.. This is how a friend and I managed to play KoF '99 without wanting to gauge our eyes out in the process. ;)

buster_broon

The Rock,
the CDZ just has a bigger cache so it can load more information

the cd drive is still a single speed

now i have a query

i've been a few Neo Geo CD titles english titles short for a while but i've came across a few recently

the titles are Ninja Combat, Magician Lord and Thrash rally and a couple more but there are a few that dont seem to be fully English releases

the three i've mentioned all have anomolies

Rally chase isnt called thrash rally, the manual is in english as is the back cover to the cd case but the disc is japanese

ninja combat and magician lord have japanese cd's, the back cover is in japanese but they have an english manual

or is it just a case of good old SNK making mistakes as usual

Darknb

n00b
I have searched youtube/google trying to find some video of the loading times on Neo Geo Cd without much luck. Any chance someone here could post a few? I would most like to see the Last Blade and Metal Slug. It would be super pimp if you could post a both a Cd and a Cdz.

The Last Blade loads are terrible. Unless you set it to skip the intros and endings, which you can do, you'll spend 2-3 times as long waiting as you will playing. And even then it's still rough. MS loads at the beginning of the level for maybe 20-30 seconds (never timed it) and then you are good to go. Worse than a cart but still playable.

Mathius

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Ok I need your guys' opinions. I want to play games like Last Blade 1&2, Pulstar, Fast Striker, etc. Should I get an CMVS or a Neo CD? And if I choose to get a Neo CD can they be modded? Also, should I get a Japanese or American system? Price is an issue and I decided not to get a converter because of compatibility issues. Thanks!:)

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Pulstar would be 30+ sec. per level , Last Blade 2 is no fun waiting for it to load all the time. And Fast Striker is MVS only, unless I missed an announcement for the CD version.

Mathius

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Pulstar would be 30+ sec. per level , Last Blade 2 is no fun waiting for it to load all the time. And Fast Striker is MVS only, unless I missed an announcement for the CD version.

Oops, the Neo CD can't play games as advanced as Fast Strikers and I knew that before I posted that. My bad. But, these other games are just so ridiculously expensive for the AES, which I own now. Would a consolized MVS be worse on my wallet than a Neo CD?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
There are a good number of titles that the Neo CD just can't handle, such as Kizuna Encounter or Blazing Star, which aren't even considered high MEG games.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Would a consolized MVS be worse on my wallet than a Neo CD?

In the end yea it's probably going to cost you more, but at least you won't have to wait for the game to load every single time. That alone kills a lot of the fun. It's fine for smaller older games but not worth it for the bigger games, especially some of the fighters.