161-in-1 Game Breakdown

ThGame

Geese's Thug
I can't even get into the menu in the first place. When I turn it on I get the green screen, then it goes straight to SNK vs Capcom. Sometimes I will see the menu for a fraction of a second before the game starts, but I can never access it.

Ok i just went through the same problem you were having on my 2 slot mvs. I couldnt access the menu at all suddenly when it had been working for the previous day no problem. Just found out the second i removed the memory card from my pcb the menu started working immediately when holding player 1 down. Is it possible you have a mem card in???

ShaunRF

n00b
Ok i just went through the same problem you were having on my 2 slot mvs. I couldnt access the menu at all suddenly when it had been working for the previous day no problem. Just found out the second i removed the memory card from my pcb the menu started working immediately when holding player 1 down. Is it possible you have a mem card in???

Unless there are flush mount memory cards that don't stick out of the slot, then I don't have one in. AFAIK, all Neo Geo memory cards stick out a bit when inserted.

ThGame

Geese's Thug
Unless there are flush mount memory cards that don't stick out of the slot, then I don't have one in. AFAIK, all Neo Geo memory cards stick out a bit when inserted.

my memory card slot is right on board. Literally have to take it out of the pcb. Im pretty sure 2 slot models are the only ones with on board mem cards and headphone jacks.

Shoot i thought i might of had your issue solved as it was the exact problem for me. Every time that mem card is in i cant access the menu. Just tested again

ShaunRF

n00b
my memory card slot is right on board. Literally have to take it out of the pcb. Im pretty sure 2 slot models are the only ones with on board mem cards and headphone jacks.

Shoot i thought i might of had your issue solved as it was the exact problem for me. Every time that mem card is in i cant access the menu. Just tested again

I suppose I could dismount the motherboard and take a closer look to make sure one isn't broken off in the slot or something weird like that.

ShaunRF

n00b
Although, if that was the source of the issue, it shouldn't have been doing it on the 1 slot board too.

ThGame

Geese's Thug
Although, if that was the source of the issue, it shouldn't have been doing it on the 1 slot board too.

Yea thats what is throwing me off Too if you tested on another board. Never hurts to take a look at the board though with your own eyes just to make sure everything looks good

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
New to forums figured I would chip in my experience on the 161 in 1. I am running a 1 slot consolized MV1FS It has been run unibios 3.1 and standard bios. Most of the games run fine I have experienced the usual audio blips here and their but...

Whenever I play any of the following:

SS2,3,ultimate11
Street hoops
bang bead
neo mr do

I get horrifically bad slowdown, It is much worse than the original MVS as I have a few originals I have tested them against. I have been on other arcade forums and no one else has experienced these issues. I even went as far as trying another 161 in 1 but the issue persists.

I am waiting on a MV1FZ running stock bios to turn up to try and finally get to the bottom of it as these carts have been in other peoples systems and ran fine also.

I am also running a 1-slot board with UniBios 3.1 via a supergun and I can't say that I have encountered the issues you are experiencing. By way of deduction it seems you have eliminated the 161-in-1 cart as the culprit. I would be much surprised if it was the Unibios, since almost everyone here is running some sort of Unibios and I do not recall these problems being reported before. Definitely worth trying the stock bios though just to be sure and also maybe check if the Unibios you have is the right version for your particular board. If that doesn't clear things up then the only thing left is the board itself or maybe something to do with its consolization.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
I've had the slow down and sound issues on my MV-1FZ with a 120 in 1 cart. Problems stopped after I did a bunch of work to the cart, and swapped out the PSU. Never quite worked out the cause but it hasn't been back in 12 months. Hard to make sense of but games ran 100% slower (at least), like something was perhaps delaying access to a ROM or bus.

ShaunRF

n00b
I haven't tested the controllers in test mode yet, but I'm starting suspect that my power supply is the culprit and may be starting to die. Even playing regular cartridges, I'm starting to get the green scrambled screen at startup. After searching, some suggest that is a sign of a power supply outputting low voltage. I know these 161in1 cartridges have terrible voltage control circuits, so they may be extra sensitive to a fading power supply.

When I get a chance to test the controllers, I may have to dig out the multimeter and check 5v and 12v wires. Is the board harness the best place to test these?

EVLNEOGEO

n00b
Hi thanks for all the responses, The CMVs ended up going back to the guy who made it to have a look at it and I am yet to get it back, the sound stopped working as well but he assured me it will be fixed and back to me soon.

In the meantime I picked up a Mv1FZ and supergun and the multicart is working a charm on the stock bios. Im going to throw in the unibios at some point but atm I am busy with and original Metal Slug.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Soon I'll be joining the club! 161 in 1 heading this way!

This is gonna be great for meetups or just visiting pals. Also awesome for casual gamers 'cause switching carts like crazy for people new to the neo can become a PITA, specially in a cab.

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
Neo Geo CD Lists

Incredible thread. Thanks for compiling these lists! Here are a few lists for those of us with Neo Geo CDs:

CD has but 161 & 138 don't
Aggressors of Dark Kombat
Art of Fighting
Bakatonosama Mahjong Manyuki
Baseball Stars Professional
Fatal Fury 2
Fatal Fury Special
Fatal Fury 3
Galaxy Fight
Irritating Maze
King of the Monsters 2
Magician Lord
Minnasano Okagesamadesu
Quiz Daisousa Sen
Quiz King of Fighters
Quiz Meitantei Neo & Geo
Ragnagard
Real Bout Fatal Fury
Real Bout Fatal Fury Special
Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
Riding Hero
Super Sidekicks
The Super Spy
Top Players Golf
Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer
Windjammers

Missing from 161-in-1 and CD
Bakatonosama Mahjong Manyuki (MVS-to-CD conversion available though)
Digger Man
Ghostlop (MVS-to-CD conversion available though)
Gururin
Jockey Grandprix
Metal Slug 5
Pop 'N Bounce (MVS-to-CD conversion available though)
Quest of Jong Master
Samurai Shodown V
Shock Troopers
SNK vs Capcom
V-Liner

Missing from 161, 138, and CD
Digger Man
Gururin
Jockey Grandprix
King of Fighters 2000
Quest of Jong Master
Samurai Shodown V
SNK vs Capcom
V-Liner

Last edited:

housethemous

New Challenger
Incredible thread. Thanks for compiling these lists! Those with Neo Geo CDs can burn many of the missing games, but here is a list of games that are neither on CD nor the multi-carts:

Missing from 161-in-1 and CD:
Bakatonosama Mahjong Manyuki (MVS Conversion available)
Digger Man
Flip Shot
Ghostlop (MVS Conversion available)
Gururin
Jockey Grandprix
Metal Slug 5
Pop 'N Bounce (MVS Conversion available)
Quest of Jong Master
Samurai Shodown V
Shock Troopers
SNK vs Capcom
V-Liner

Missing from 161, 138, and CD:
(MVS Conversion available)
Digger Man
Flip Shot
Gururin
Jockey Grandprix
Quest of Jong Master
Samurai Shodown V
SNK vs Capcom
V-Liner

There are a lot more than that missing from the 161-1 to my knowledge...

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
It is the same game.

Got mine and I'm loving it for what it is. I dunno if I would consider this a replacement for some of the games I already have but it's definitely a nice option to have for meets and what have you.

cybersp78

n00b
Hello All,

I recently purchased a 161-1 cart along with a Super MVS Converter II to use on my business trips and they do not seem to be playing nice with each other. I am trying to figure out which one is having the issue or if it's my system. I have a modded system with 2.3 unibios installed. Serial # 017725 and it uses the 5V 3A adapter.

I of course haven't tried all the games, but here are a few that are giving me problems. Aero Fighters 2 about 3 minutes after started I always get an error screen that pops up that says "Line 1111 Emulator" <Explose> SR 2008 PC 0003938 and then a bunch of numbers underneath that from 01-07 and A0-A7.

Aero Fighters 3 just keeps resetting itself about 2 minutes in no matter what region or console version I set it on. Metal Slug freezes. The other common error I have been getting with variations is on Metal Slug 2, about 2 minutes in I get "Exception Error Handling" "Address Error" "Address - 00098391" "AC Address - Same number as before" R/W: Write.

So any help you guys could provide is appreciated. I need to know if I need to return one or both products. Or is it something I am doing. Unfortunately, I don't have any other MVS to try. Just my AES games. I have tried cleaning all contacts and slots. Thanks again.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I bet both items are fine. The problem might be that the super converter and the multicart don't get along. The 161-1 is far from perfect. I have a 2 slot CMVS (Uni-Bios 2.3) and if I place the 161-1 in one slot and any other MVS cart on the other the games reset themselves or end up with an error message along the way just like you described. However, when the 161-1 is by itself with no cart on the other slot then it works perfectly. Now I'm not sure if these errors are due to the Uni-Bios or just the cart being finicky but I can use it just fine with the Uni-Bios like I described earlier.

My suggestion, test your converter with any other MVS cart and test the 161-1 in a cab if you can, maybe a friend's, a local forum member? If you can't find anyone, you can send it to me and I'll test it as long as you cover the shipping.

Good luck!

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
The 161-1 cart is very, very picky with power. If it's not given enough, it will freak out and give you random reboots, errors, and sound distortion. Having the cart run solo on an MVS board gives all of the power to the cart and it generally works fine.

From my experience, I had a power supply in my big red that was starting to not perform as it should, and the 161-1 cart did all of the above, especially if there were more carts installed. After I got a fresh, new power supply, the cart worked perfectly, and continues to do so even with my remaining three cart slots being full.

This doesn't necessarily mean that your power supply is faulty, but since it's a CMVS it may not have as robust a PSU as a standard arcade setup might have.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Good call, power supplies on CMVS and AES alike can't hold a candle to an arcade switching PSU.

cybersp78

n00b
Hmm, thanks for the suggestions so far. I am going to go ahead and order an MVS cart to see how it does with that first. Then maybe take the 161-1 cart to a game store a little bit away and see if they will let me try it on their arcade cab. I am beginning to think you are right and both are fine, it's just something is off.

I did a lot more testing today trying to go through the games. Most of them worked just fine. But the following would freeze/reset or give the Address Error with the message about submitting it to the Unibios Home page: All the Metal Slugs, Pulstar, Capt. Tomaday, both Aero Fighters, Spin Master, Sam. Shodown 2, Neo Turf Masters, Strikers 1945+, Burning Fight just to name some of them. So I don't know if all those have something in common as to why they will not work to save my life or what.

Maybe it is the power supply and those games need more of it than others?? Like all the puzzle games worked fine. Where is the best place to fine a replacement power supply (I have the 5V one) so maybe that is a cheap option to see if that will fix the games that don't work above.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I got mine from Suzo Happ, but if you're running a CMVS or AES, I can't provide any advice on that. I'm only familiar with what's needed for a big red cab.

It wouldn't hurt to get an upgrade for your UniBIOS as well. 3.2 is out and has a lot of bug fixes and features that aren't in 2.3.