161-in-1 Game Breakdown

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
I finally purchased one of these a few weeks ago. It arrived along with a Game Elf and both serve as extreme polar opposites of quality, one was much better than expected and the other isn't worth the box it was shipped in.

After a bit of play I've got to say I really like this thing. I noticed a few sound bugs here and there, and the aforementioned Garou and Aero Fighters 3 bugs, but other than that it works very well. A lot of people complain about the hacks but to be honest (beyond the two dozen KoF '02 and ten KoF '97 hacks) I really like them. I initially threw this cart in a 2-slot with stock English bios so it was extremely cool to be able to access boss characters I normally would not be able to without the Unibios. On top of that many of the hacks are beyond just a quick ROM patch code, they have actual changes in the game to accommodate the hidden characters that would otherwise glitch terribly when using ROM codes alone. Several games have characters that would flat out crash the machine or could only be used in 2 player versus games that are now playable in the entire 1p mode. Geese in AoF2 is now fully playable, the Ox in Fighter's History Dynamite, KoF '96 bosses in MVS mode, etc. Plus with the addition of digitized pubic hair and mammaries in KoF 2k2 I can multi-task now.

One additional thing beyond the AF3 and Garou glitches; is it just my copy (or my hardware setup) or is the music in World Heroes completely fucked up? It doesn't play the correct song at the character select menu or when displaying the map and it doesn't play any music at all if you pick Death Match mode. The BGM did play when in normal mode but I only tried it on a few stages and do not know if it plays the proper tunes that go with the stages or if it jumbles them up.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
many of the hacks are beyond just a quick ROM patch code, they have actual changes in the game to accommodate the hidden characters that would otherwise glitch terribly when using ROM codes alone. Several games have characters that would flat out crash the machine or could only be used in 2 player versus games that are now playable in the entire 1p mode. Geese in AoF2 is now fully playable, the Ox in Fighter's History Dynamite, KoF '96 bosses in MVS mode, etc. Plus with the addition of digitized pubic hair and mammaries in KoF 2k2 I can multi-task now.
How does that improve the legit releases? I would think it at least messes up the balance/feel of the games quite a bit...

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
One additional thing beyond the AF3 and Garou glitches; is it just my copy (or my hardware setup) or is the music in World Heroes completely fucked up? It doesn't play the correct song at the character select menu or when displaying the map and it doesn't play any music at all if you pick Death Match mode. The BGM did play when in normal mode but I only tried it on a few stages and do not know if it plays the proper tunes that go with the stages or if it jumbles them up.

I noticed this too. Same deal in World Heroes 2. I wasn't sure if that was the way the music was supposed to be as I haven't really played World Heroes that much.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I haven't played 161-in-1 cart for few weeks because I'm afraid it'll mess up my CMVS cartridge slot connector.........it's too tight to get it out plus it's not the legit MVS cart.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I haven't played 161-in-1 cart for few weeks because I'm afraid it'll mess up my CMVS cartridge slot connector.........it's too tight to get it out plus it's not the legit MVS cart.

If you file the edges like described before, you should be fine.

Your CMVS may get AIDS from using a boot cart tho...just saying....

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
If you file the edges like described before, you should be fine.

Your CMVS may get AIDS from using a boot cart tho...just saying....

Unless you put a condom around the cart before plugging it in the CMVS, but then the game doesn't feel the same.

liwer

n00b
I read a lot of pages about this cartridge 161-1, but I'm more indecisive than before .. can someone please tell me if it really worth or not worth buying? I love Neo Geo, I have my MVS cabinet 2 Slot, also I have a few games, but others included in the cartridge escape from my hands for the price, I see it as a good alternative, but the failures of sound and graphics put me in doubt.

Although it would be for use in a MVS MV-1A consolized.

World Heroes Perfect not included :(

Thank You.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I read a lot of pages about this cartridge 161-1, but I'm more indecisive than before .. can someone please tell me if it really worth or not worth buying? I love Neo Geo, I have my MVS cabinet 2 Slot, also I have a few games, but others included in the cartridge escape from my hands for the price, I see it as a good alternative, but the failures of sound and graphics put me in doubt.

Although it would be for use in a MVS MV-1A consolized.

World Heroes Perfect not included :(

Thank You.

Dude, it's like $100 and if you don't like it you can just sell it. There's nothing that anyone is going to tell you that isn't already in the 38 pages of this thread.

liwer

n00b
Dude, it's like $100 and if you don't like it you can just sell it. There's nothing that anyone is going to tell you that isn't already in the 38 pages of this thread.

Well it helps me something, I will make the purchase then and if I like what I sell.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
If you're going to play games on this thing, you might as well buy a refurbished PC, $10 AMD card, and use GroovyMAME. At least your money won't be going to some parasitic Chinese bootleggers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4&cm_re=refurbished_pc-_-83-156-414-_-Product

Hilariously, there will be less glitches in the games doing it that way than any of the multicarts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM-dRD1Aob4

Neo Geo emulation is already accurate enough to the point where nobody can tell the difference in a blind test.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Since getting my MVS in November I have struggled with keeping the games legit and buying piecemeal or getting the multicart. I have bought about five games since then and spent some significant change to get games I really love that coincidentally are also on the 161-in-1.

It was in reading a for sale market post here that I decided to breakdown and get the multicart. Dude was selling some of his extras because, as he explained it, he had bought a multicart and I was thinking about buying his now redundancy (mediocre albeit cheap titles.) I then realized I should just skip this and go right to the 161.

It arrived last Friday and and I am pretty darn happy with it. Had a buddy over tonight and tried a bunch of the titles and really fell in love with Money Puzzle Exchanger. Some notable games are missing as has been mentioned in this thread (Waku Waku 7, Windjammers, King of the Monsters 2 come to mind.)

To echo what is mentioned above, if you are on the fence, you should drop the hundred bucks and enjoy.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
The 138 in 1 has recently returned on ali express. I just ordered one for my cab. Definitely the best choice of games for a cabinet/supergun (or consolized MVS if you're willing to do dipswitch mod).

Namnuta

Quiz Detective
I don't kmow. I have the 161 in 1 and a 150 in 1. And I find myself using them as testing carts before I buy the original mvs. Not sure why. But I like original carts in my neo.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I don't kmow. I have the 161 in 1 and a 150 in 1. And I find myself using them as testing carts before I buy the original mvs. Not sure why. But I like original carts in my neo.

I do the same. First cart I got was the 161, along with Metal Slug 5 (because it's not on the 161) however I started buying the games that I know I like, even if they are in the 161. I think I don't like the fact that many games I like are broken on the 161 (KoF 95, Garou, Aero Fighters 3, Pulstar), so I prefer the real deal, but for getting a sample of the games on the real console, the 161 is not that bad. I think I'll let it go soon because I already have most of the games I really care about.

Regards.

TheIronSheik

Kuroko's Training Dummy

From my perspective, I would not do the "all my eggs in one basket" approach to collecting games. If something happens to your 161-in-1, you're screwed. It definitely makes sense to still buy the original carts.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
From my perspective, I would not do the "all my eggs in one basket" approach to collecting games. If something happens to your 161-in-1, you're screwed. It definitely makes sense to still buy the original carts.
huh? it's not like 161 in 1 carts are hard to come by

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
If you're going to play games on this thing, you might as well buy a refurbished PC, $10 AMD card, and use GroovyMAME. At least your money won't be going to some parasitic Chinese bootleggers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4&cm_re=refurbished_pc-_-83-156-414-_-Product

Hilariously, there will be less glitches in the games doing it that way than any of the multicarts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM-dRD1Aob4

Neo Geo emulation is already accurate enough to the point where nobody can tell the difference in a blind test.

That's all fine and dandy if you don't want to play it on original hardware. For those of us who own MVS cabinets, CVMS units, or AES consoles, its nifty to have.

I'm guessing these bootleggers have either quit the biz or went underground since there hasn't been a new multi-game bootleg cart for a while now.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Those bootleggers are still thinking of a way to add Magician Lord to their multicarts. Dat memory requirement. XD

hippie131

n00b
I really wish the 161 in 1 had metal slug 5 on it. Then at least it would have all the Metal Slugs.....well except 6 cause 6 is a bootleg rom.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I really wish the 161 in 1 had metal slug 5 on it. Then at least it would have all the Metal Slugs.....well except 6 cause 6 is a bootleg rom.

MS6 on the Neo is a bootleg rom of MS3, the original MS6 is on atomiswave and is a decent, albeit not so great game. Also, no multicart has (AFAIK) all the slugs. 120-in-1 has MS5, but lacks MSX IIRC.

Regards.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
MS6 on the Neo is a bootleg rom of MS3, the original MS6 is on atomiswave and is a decent, albeit not so great game. Also, no multicart has (AFAIK) all the slugs. 120-in-1 has MS5, but lacks MSX IIRC.

Regards.

the 138 in 1 has all the Metal Slugs