161-in-1 Game Breakdown

Denicio

n00b
Newbie Here. Just got my first Neo Geo MVS about 2 weeks ago and I am also looking at a multi game cart.

I keep seeing something about the difficulty setting defaulting at hard. Is there a way to permanently fix this or will this always be an issue with these carts?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Newbie Here. Just got my first Neo Geo MVS about 2 weeks ago and I am also looking at a multi game cart.

I keep seeing something about the difficulty setting defaulting at hard. Is there a way to permanently fix this or will this always be an issue with these carts?

The 161 cart seems to be always like that. It's not much of a problem if your MVS has a UniBIOS (and if not, it should!) because with it you can easily change setting in the games, but it's annoying nonetheless. I think these carts were made that way because the arcade games are normally set at its highest difficulty (to gather more quarters from the players) and setting 161 games manually would be tedious for the owner. By defaulting to the hardest all the games, it becomes plug-and-play.

Regards.

Denicio

n00b
The 161 cart seems to be always like that. It's not much of a problem if your MVS has a UniBIOS (and if not, it should!) because with it you can easily change setting in the games, but it's annoying nonetheless. I think these carts were made that way because the arcade games are normally set at its highest difficulty (to gather more quarters from the players) and setting 161 games manually would be tedious for the owner. By defaulting to the hardest all the games, it becomes plug-and-play.

Regards.

Thanks for the info.
How can I tell what bios I have?
How hard is it to upgrade if I have old bios?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Thanks for the info.
How can I tell what bios I have?
How hard is it to upgrade if I have old bios?

If your system shows a green/garbled screen when starting and then shows the NeoGeo logo and the game starts, you have an original BIOS. If your system shows a UniBIOS logo on startup, you have a UniBIOS (check the version in the same screen). Upgrading the BIOS depends on the board model: http://unibios.free.fr/requirements.html

Regards.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
what aha2940 said, BUT there is an option to make the install easier on MV-1B and MV-1C if you own one of those. It's a project named "NeoBiosMasta", made by NeoTurfMasta and available through neogeofanclub.com.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Hey everyone, I read through some random pages. There are a lot. I have a few questions.

1. From my understanding, I can use a 2 slot MVS board, with a Unibios installed correct? And I can still go in and change setting and switch between AES and MVS mode?

2. Is there a list of all the official games that work perfect? I am reading samurai showdown glitches sometimes, and MOTW is the beta. I really want to know of the official games, which do not run flawless, and which are old version like MOTW that are not worth even playing.

I am thinking of getting rid of a few MVS carts to fund this and the other multicart, but don't want to put myself in a situation where I sell something and regret it.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
I played through sam sho V a few times never had an issue, never played 2 player though. I know that Aero Fighters 3 is fucked up and enemy bullets dont move, so basically broken. Garou is beta. Cant think of any else that have issues that I've run into.

Dont sell your carts though you'll regret it. The multi carts aren't a replacement but they're great for stuff you don't have yet.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I played through sam sho V a few times never had an issue, never played 2 player though. I know that Aero Fighters 3 is fucked up and enemy bullets dont move, so basically broken. Garou is beta. Cant think of any else that have issues that I've run into.

Dont sell your carts though you'll regret it. The multi carts aren't a replacement but they're great for stuff you don't have yet.

Yeah, I'm definitely not sells no all my carts. But I have about 35 of which I feel are the best games, but some of them are worth so much I don't know if I can justify keeping them because I rarely play them. Stuff like motw, last blade, magical drop 3, Wil never leave my possession, but some stuff like waku waku 7, ninja masters, and windjammers I just don't play that much but still like a lot. But some games I feel are only enjoyable 2 player, and the older I get, the less I have anyone around to play anymore.

liwer

n00b
I have my cartridge, but I can exit by pressing start in any game. It will be a defect?

My board is a MVS 2 Slot.

Thanks.

ShaunRF

n00b
I have my cartridge, but I can exit by pressing start in any game. It will be a defect?

My board is a MVS 2 Slot.

Thanks.

Do you mean that you cannot exit to the main game selection menu? My 161in1 does the same thing on my 2 slot. Goes right to SNK vs Capcom and wont let me get to the game menu. I thought the cart was defective, but the replacement did the same thing. I think some of the 2 slot boards just aren't very tolerant of these cheap multicarts. I'm having a user here(Terot) make me a JAMMA to MVS adapter so I can put a 1 slot board in my cabinet.

liwer

n00b
Do you mean that you cannot exit to the main game selection menu? My 161in1 does the same thing on my 2 slot. Goes right to SNK vs Capcom and wont let me get to the game menu. I thought the cart was defective, but the replacement did the same thing. I think some of the 2 slot boards just aren't very tolerant of these cheap multicarts. I'm having a user here(Terot) make me a JAMMA to MVS adapter so I can put a 1 slot board in my cabinet.

to return to the menu I have to turn off and turn on the machine, there is no way out of any game by pressing start, my cabinet is an MVS-2-25. I'll try a MV-1A board to verify if it is the same.

Edit:

is the board, I experimented with the MV-1A board and out of the game by pressing start. :)

Last edited:

ShaunRF

n00b
to return to the menu I have to turn off and turn on the machine, there is no way out of any game by pressing start, my cabinet is an MVS-2-25. I'll try a MV-1A board to verify if it is the same.

Edit:

is the board, I experimented with the MV-1A board and out of the game by pressing start. :)

I can't even get into the menu in the first place. When I turn it on I get the green screen, then it goes straight to SNK vs Capcom. Sometimes I will see the menu for a fraction of a second before the game starts, but I can never access it.

liwer

n00b
I can't even get into the menu in the first place. When I turn it on I get the green screen, then it goes straight to SNK vs Capcom. Sometimes I will see the menu for a fraction of a second before the game starts, but I can never access it.

Not if you put two cartridges at a time, just one and I can see the menu of soleccion. In this video happens something like what you mention.

bdlou

Quiz Detective
Not if you put two cartridges at a time, just one and I can see the menu of soleccion. In this video happens something like what you mention.

For people running in to issues, make sure you read everything in the descriptions of my videos. I tried to do a good job documenting the setup and what combination caused what.

ShaunRF

n00b

For people running in to issues, make sure you read everything in the descriptions of my videos. I tried to do a good job documenting the setup and what combination caused what.

I'm afraid that doesn't work for me. I've tried with other carts and without other carts, in freeplay mode and in pay to play mode, everything I can think of. There is no memory card in it either.

bdlou

Quiz Detective
I'm afraid that doesn't work for me. I've tried with other carts and without other carts, in freeplay mode and in pay to play mode, everything I can think of. There is no memory card in it either.

This might seem like a dumb question, but is it possible that one of your buttons has a short, in the sense that as soon as the cart boots it's being sent a button press to go in the selected game?

ShaunRF

n00b
This might seem like a dumb question, but is it possible that one of your buttons has a short, in the sense that as soon as the cart boots it's being sent a button press to go in the selected game?

I would think that would present itself when I'm playing the regular carts that I own.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder

This can be easily tested with the controller input test screen, or whatever it's officially called

ThGame

Geese's Thug

I have a 2 slot mvs and monday my first multicart is coming. Is this a common issue? Im a little concerned now. Is there any other 2 slot owners out there that can confirm if the 161 in 1 cart works properly on thier systems? I want to know if this is an anomaly or not

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
I have a 2 slot mvs and monday my first multicart is coming. Is this a common issue? Im a little concerned now. Is there any other 2 slot owners out there that can confirm if the 161 in 1 cart works properly on thier systems? I want to know if this is an anomaly or not

The cart works just fine in my 2-slot

ShaunRF

n00b

From what several other MVS owners have told me, some motherboards are just more finicky with these thing than others. You wont know until you try.

EVLNEOGEO

n00b
New to forums figured I would chip in my experience on the 161 in 1. I am running a 1 slot consolized MV1FS It has been run unibios 3.1 and standard bios. Most of the games run fine I have experienced the usual audio blips here and their but...

Whenever I play any of the following:

SS2,3,ultimate11
Street hoops
bang bead
neo mr do

I get horrifically bad slowdown, It is much worse than the original MVS as I have a few originals I have tested them against. I have been on other arcade forums and no one else has experienced these issues. I even went as far as trying another 161 in 1 but the issue persists.

I am waiting on a MV1FZ running stock bios to turn up to try and finally get to the bottom of it as these carts have been in other peoples systems and ran fine also.

ThGame

Geese's Thug
From what several other MVS owners have told me, some motherboards are just more finicky with these thing than others. You wont know until you try.

Just an update, i received my 161 in 1 last night and its been working perfrctly on my 2 slot with unibios. Very happy right now

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
New to forums figured I would chip in my experience on the 161 in 1. I am running a 1 slot consolized MV1FS It has been run unibios 3.1 and standard bios. Most of the games run fine I have experienced the usual audio blips here and their but...

Whenever I play any of the following:

SS2,3,ultimate11
Street hoops
bang bead
neo mr do

I get horrifically bad slowdown, It is much worse than the original MVS as I have a few originals I have tested them against. I have been on other arcade forums and no one else has experienced these issues. I even went as far as trying another 161 in 1 but the issue persists.

I am waiting on a MV1FZ running stock bios to turn up to try and finally get to the bottom of it as these carts have been in other peoples systems and ran fine also.
Lots of the 'audio blips' can be fixed by adding 2 x 47pF caps - as per my PCM Sound thread on the tech forum. Most noticeable are Strikers, Pulstar, Raging Dragons.

ShaunRF

n00b
Well I was finally able to try my 161in1 on a 1-slot and I'm still having the same problem. I even tried switching my Player 1 wires to my Player 2 button to see if that was the issue. When I have time, I will have to go into test mode and see if I can spot any issues with the other buttons. I still have trouble believing that is the issue though, since I would think it would show up on things like fighter select screens where the first fighter highlighted would get selected right away.

Last edited: